New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  00:55:31  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.digitaltrends.com/?p=692771

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  14:17:46  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-pixies-joey-santiago-reflects-on-doolittle-103599370756.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim D says:
quote:
"There's Josephine [Wiggs], who is a dried-up old hag,"

Also seems that the Breeders are in need of a drummer.....again.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/12/79732/kim-deal-solo-series?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=post&unique_id=entry_79732#page-1
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  00:35:01  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So she quit a huge band to do her side project and knock out two songs.....Pixies were going to give her the time off anyway to do The Breeders. Now The Breeders are on hiatus with not even an EP in the can, Charles is pissed that the other two Pixies and Paz won't do another Pixies album and has gone solo again. Maybe the reunion cash means they never have to work again so why bother?
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  04:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

So she quit a huge band to do her side project and knock out two songs.....Pixies were going to give her the time off anyway to do The Breeders. Now The Breeders are on hiatus with not even an EP in the can, Charles is pissed that the other two Pixies and Paz won't do another Pixies album and has gone solo again. Maybe the reunion cash means they never have to work again so why bother?

I don't think she quit to take up the a new Breeders project. Something happened to make her quit, and neither she, nor the other 3, are talking. As for the reformed breeders, I think it's just a pretense to get a few bucks in Kelley's pocket.

As for the Pixies, I have no idea if the other 3 are now refusing to make a new record. Maybe they want Chuck to kiss and make up with Deal? Who knows? In any case, I agree with you. They now have enough money from the reunion to live out the rest of their days if they are careful.

BTW, Thompson changed his Facebook profile picture. Interesting.

http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10881836_10153045709876886_830846368094455870_n.jpg?oh=393f01abd60c2634fe51ee83681780bb&oe=5541F455

Edited by - Fissile on 12/29/2014 05:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  10:51:26  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A source close to the band said that Charles wanted to do new music and challenge himself and the band, the other three were more into playing and perfecting their instruments. The creative vs the players. Hence the new Charles solo album being worked on which will include some of the Pixies album rejects plus some of the ten new tracks he demoed ( hopefully) fleshed out (they were pretty basic but very punk). Deal is still welcome to rejoin but if she isn't doing new songs there is no reason to reform. How many times can you see the old tracks played again? Personally half the new album was great, if they did one of those every few years and toured they would have a reason to keep going. The breeders did two good albums and a lot of what is good about them is their aesthetic and not solid songs. That said I've enjoyed their last two albums for the weirdness. The original line ups attempt to do a new album and coming back with two songs is kinda lame, Kim has these exceptionally high song writing standards but when I listen it anything she has done in the last two decades I don't hear it.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2014 :  02:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:

I don't think she quit to take up the a new Breeders project. Something happened to make her quit, and neither she, nor the other 3, are talking. As for the reformed breeders, I think it's just a pretense to get a few bucks in Kelley's pocket.

As for the Pixies, I have no idea if the other 3 are now refusing to make a new record. Maybe they want Chuck to kiss and make up with Deal? Who knows? In any case, I agree with you. They now have enough money from the reunion to live out the rest of their days if they are careful.

BTW, Thompson changed his Facebook profile picture. Interesting.

http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10881836_10153045709876886_830846368094455870_n.jpg?oh=393f01abd60c2634fe51ee83681780bb&oe=5541F455

Could be that she is still as unprofessional and volatile as ever, even sober, and she got it in her head that she didn't want to do the album, packed up her stuff without telling anyone, and left. Thinking about the lack of Breeders music, I think that is more likely. Of course, with that hot shot manager they have now, if Kim didn't like the songs and gracefully bowed out, there is no way in hell they would tell the public and derail the sales.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kim owes her career to Charles, surprised she is still so difficult. At the end of the day she had one hit album in the 90s. So did Crash Test Dummies, Blind Melon, etc...
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  18:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

Could be that she is still as unprofessional and volatile as ever, even sober, and she got it in her head that she didn't want to do the album, packed up her stuff without telling anyone, and left. Thinking about the lack of Breeders music, I think that is more likely. Of course, with that hot shot manager they have now, if Kim didn't like the songs and gracefully bowed out, there is no way in hell they would tell the public and derail the sales.

That's possible. When Kim left, Thompson's wife posted a rant on her Facebook page where she said that Kim was a burnt-out, old, ex-junkie who could no longer function like a normal human being. The post stayed up for a few hours and then was taken down. When it comes right down to it, Kim's only significant contribution to the Pixies was her voice, which was really lovely. Paz plays Deal's bass parts better than Deal ever did.

If Paz no longer wants to play with the Pixies, may I suggest Jenny Lee Lindberg of the band Warpaint?

Love is to die http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtfB8MqP1jU

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  21:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait, since when does Paz want out?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  22:07:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With lack of news
we come up
with our own

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  22:42:52  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're all doing there own thing now, Charles is doing a solo album with Dubbs, EDF and Ding. Kim is long gone and piecing a new Breeders album together at snails pace, she won't be back. Paz is in a few bands. Joey and Dave are family men, an album and tour every 2-3 years would suit them. I speculate the three Pixies and Paz will do something new in a few years, there's no demand for Pixies now given the lacklustre reception of their pretty solid comeback album. Kim kinda screwed that up with her childish games and dramas. Ex junkies cannot be trusted.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  05:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

They're all doing there own thing now, Charles is doing a solo album with Dubbs, EDF and Ding. Kim is long gone and piecing a new Breeders album together at snails pace, she won't be back. Paz is in a few bands. Joey and Dave are family men, an album and tour every 2-3 years would suit them. I speculate the three Pixies and Paz will do something new in a few years, there's no demand for Pixies now given the lacklustre reception of their pretty solid comeback album. Kim kinda screwed that up with her childish games and dramas. Ex junkies cannot be trusted.

If a new Breeders project ever sees the light of day...and that's a big 'if'......it will receive zero attention. The Breeders are a one hit wonder. The main reason they got attention back in the day is because the Deals were cute, goofy chicks that played well to the camera. It had very little do with talent. They have long since moved on from their cute and goofy phase and into weird, old cat-lady land.

ETA:

It appears that the new Breeders album is a reality. Here is the leaked album art.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/02/2015 06:27:22
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  08:59:31  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone neutered you?
Go to Top of Page

Meesimo
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  07:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Meesimo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interview with the man himself, Black Francis:

http://the-talks.com/interviews/black-francis/

Meesimo
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  15:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What he said about alternative/indie music is definitely interesting.

I'm not nearly old enough to have been around when the Pixies first started out. Something I really can't wrap my head around is how well known/not-so-well-known they actually were at the time. I really have no reference.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  15:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

I'm not nearly old enough to have been around when the Pixies first started out. Something I really can't wrap my head around is how well known/not-so-well-known they actually were at the time. I really have no reference.

I lived a few miles from New York City when the Pixies started out, they got a fair amount of airplay on the local stations. Gigantic was probably the first song that got on the NYC radio stations, and then Monkey Gone to Heaven. At first I didn't connect those two songs with the same group. To me Gigantic sounded really pop, while Monkey Gone to Heaven sounded more underground. What really put the hook in me was when I saw them on a New York City TV show called Night Music, the host was David Sanborn. I was shocked by this performance and it surprised the hell out of me to see what they looked like. I was expecting to see some hipster heroin addict types, instead they looked like college kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I83PH_A6gnM

Edited by - Fissile on 03/07/2015 15:44:19
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up here in the middle of nowhere, I heard something probably from Debaser on
CBC's great program Brave New Waves.

I was able to find it at HMV the next day. I had to make a choice between two
cassettes and took the one with the half-naked woman.

I heard the Chicago concert for the first time on the university radio station.
The radio station was a wire that connected the basement to the two cafeterias.
I ran to the booth to find out where they got this 3rd version of WOM.
They regularly played The Pixies, but none of the local commercial stations did.
I remember hearing them twice on one of the two FM hard rock stations.

I would play The Pixies for anyone who would listen, but it was several years before
I started to meet people who had heard of them.

My friend Ray played them for everybody in the area of the city called Transcona.

Edited by - hammerhands on 03/07/2015 18:24:49
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  14:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

I lived a few miles from New York City when the Pixies started out, they got a fair amount of airplay on the local stations. Gigantic was probably the first song that got on the NYC radio stations, and then Monkey Gone to Heaven. At first I didn't connect those two songs with the same group. To me Gigantic sounded really pop, while Monkey Gone to Heaven sounded more underground. What really put the hook in me was when I saw them on a New York City TV show called Night Music, the host was David Sanborn. I was shocked by this performance and it surprised the hell out of me to see what they looked like. I was expecting to see some hipster heroin addict types, instead they looked like college kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I83PH_A6gnM

That's pretty awesome to see them in their inception like that.

I rememeber for sure thinking they were gonna look really punky, and when I first saw a picture of them I pretty much went what the fuck?

Anyway, the reason I'm having trouble understanding how big/not big they were, I think is because of them not really being a part of any real scene (I may be way off on that) They didn't stick really stick arouond long enough to become Nirvana big (which I always imagined them becoming if Thompson hadn't left), either.

But like, are there any current bands you could possibly compare the Pixies to, interms of how popular they were?

Like, for instance, were they Cage The Elephant-well-known, or just maybe Violent Soho-sort-of-known?
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  14:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Up here in the middle of nowhere, I heard something probably from Debaser on
CBC's great program Brave New Waves.

I was able to find it at HMV the next day. I had to make a choice between two
cassettes and took the one with the half-naked woman.

I heard the Chicago concert for the first time on the university radio station.
The radio station was a wire that connected the basement to the two cafeterias.
I ran to the booth to find out where they got this 3rd version of WOM.
They regularly played The Pixies, but none of the local commercial stations did.
I remember hearing them twice on one of the two FM hard rock stations.

I would play The Pixies for anyone who would listen, but it was several years before
I started to meet people who had heard of them.

My friend Ray played them for everybody in the area of the city called Transcona.

Damn cool.

Hm, would I be correct to say that The Breeders were quite a bit bigger than the Pixies pre-Fight Club and before Thompson decided to get the band back together?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  01:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Europe (especially in the UK & Ireland) they were a big beast of the alternative scene. Their albums got records of the year (or top 5 say) in magazines like NME and Select and they would make it onto the front cover from time to time. Songs like Monkey and Velouria were played at teenage or indie discos and they moved from medium billing to headline billing at the big alternative festivals (eg. Reading 1990) by the time Bossanova was was released.

So among teenage fans who were, let's say, really into their music they were well known but they didn't pervade into the public consciousness such as band like The Cure. In my hometown they always played the venue one size up that hosted The Cramps or Sonic Youth.

No way were the Breeders bigger than the Pixies pre-Fight Club. The Breeders were probably playing Pixies peak popularity venues after Last Splash but within two years of that it was back to small venues. Cannonball was a much bigger 'hit' than anything the Pixes had so they may have had a stronger cut into the general public. Plus they started playing music festivals around the time the general public started attending music festivals......

Very difficult to find a band that you could compare them to now in terms of popularity basically because music was consumed in an entirely different manner. If I had to pick somebody off the top of my head maybe Super Furry Animals (without the hits)

Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  15:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

In Europe (especially in the UK & Ireland) they were a big beast of the alternative scene. Their albums got records of the year (or top 5 say) in magazines like NME and Select and they would make it onto the front cover from time to time. Songs like Monkey and Velouria were played at teenage or indie discos and they moved from medium billing to headline billing at the big alternative festivals (eg. Reading 1990) by the time Bossanova was was released.

So among teenage fans who were, let's say, really into their music they were well known but they didn't pervade into the public consciousness such as band like The Cure. In my hometown they always played the venue one size up that hosted The Cramps or Sonic Youth.

No way were the Breeders bigger than the Pixies pre-Fight Club. The Breeders were probably playing Pixies peak popularity venues after Last Splash but within two years of that it was back to small venues. Cannonball was a much bigger 'hit' than anything the Pixes had so they may have had a stronger cut into the general public. Plus they started playing music festivals around the time the general public started attending music festivals......

Very difficult to find a band that you could compare them to now in terms of popularity basically because music was consumed in an entirely different manner. If I had to pick somebody off the top of my head maybe Super Furry Animals (without the hits)

Very informative, thanks.

Had no idea Rhys Ifans used to be in a band, hah.

Yeah, I suppose one of the reasons I'm at a loss reference-wise is because the very different ways music is being listened to and shared now, compared to back then.

Edited by - DoginLeSand on 03/09/2015 15:29:29
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  17:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New interview with Kim Deal. As usual she refuses to discuss the Pixies, although she does take an underhanded shot at Thompson when she says this.

quote:
We're doing it ourselves, and we don't have a team of people making the product, and there's not a perfume coming with it, it's not a lifestyle brand.

Ouch, if you don't know what she's referring to, she's referring to this -- http://www.nstperfume.com/2015/01/30/ds-durga-debaser-new-fragrance/

The Kim interview can be found here: http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/kim-deal-interview-on-a-new-breeders-album-keeping-it-cottage-industry-and-patricide

Edited by - Fissile on 03/09/2015 17:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  23:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this interview was posted previously, some interesting info about working with Gil on Indie Cindy.

http://www.alternativenation.net/black-francis-talks-working-with-gil-norton-for-new-pixies-material/

I suppose one thing you can probably be sure of, Gil Norton will never produce a Kim Deal or Breeders album. Last Splash was as shiny as the Breeders got, even then it was fairly muddy.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  22:17:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh dear. There really is a Pixies perfume?

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  08:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

oh dear. There really is a Pixies perfume?

Denis

I gotta wonder if he did it just to piss her off?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  14:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I imagine someone just asked him if they could use Debaser as the name for a perfume and he obliged without putting much thought into it.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  04:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I imagine someone just asked him if they could use Debaser as the name for a perfume and he obliged without putting much thought into it.

Do we know for sure that Frank was involved? Are that permission is required? It IS just a word that, according to Miriam-Webster, dates back to the 16th century.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/debaser
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  04:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

quote:

Do we know for sure that Frank was involved? Are that permission is required? It IS just a word that, according to Miriam-Webster, dates back to the 16th century.

I believe the ad specifically mentions the Pixies, in which case the company would need permission from Thompson, since he owns the rights to the band's name. I gotta wonder if Thompson did it to troll Deal, or if he's turning into the Gene Simmons of alt-rock?

Edited by - Fissile on 03/12/2015 04:23:04
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  05:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

quote:

I believe the ad specifically mentions the Pixies, in which case the company would need permission from Thompson, since he owns the rights to the band's name. I gotta wonder if Thompson did it to troll Deal, or if he's turning into the Gene Simmons of alt-rock?

Wow.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000