2787 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  16:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black http://dai.ly/x371h
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2018 :  11:35:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just started the new series of Flowers (Channel 4/4OD)

Dark comedy about hippies living in the countryside, very funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  20:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Arrested Development series is pretty good
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  09:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched “A Serious Man” for probably the 50th time last night.

Great movie.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  09:17:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
49 times more than me. I think I liked it though. It's that Coen brothers film where they used unknown actors?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it’s Coen and the answer to your second question depends on how you define “unknown.”

Worth watching again
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  11:23:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I mean they went for less well known actors, none of the Hollywood big fish.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  11:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken.

Pot taken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  11:43:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're not allowed pot in this country.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  16:59:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Endless

Definately a watcher againer.. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  11:31:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I watched The Endless last night, it was surprisingly good. So I looked it up on IMDB and it's a Justin Benson/Aaron Moorhead film: the creators of Spring in 2014. They also both star in it as the main characters.

There's a lot of these sci-fi/fantasy/weirdy surreal films going about these days since it's getting easier to make film, so a lot of them are turkeys. Not this one, it's definately worth a watch. Good acting and directing, captivating plot. None of this camera panning around all over the place nonsense. Good, old fashioned cinematic entertainment.

Kind of reminded me in some ways of an Ingmar Bergman, or a David Lynch at times. If you're a Twin Peaks fan I'd say it's got a bit of a weirdness to it like that.

Definately watch that one again.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching the Irish sitcom "Trivia" right now, via the Acorn TV app on my Apple TV. Enjoying it very much. Anyone else seen it?

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched "Born on the Fourth of July" yesterday.

Still haunting after all these years. Cruise is great.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  05:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glow season 2

Any Glow fans?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  05:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet Earth 2 on Netflix is mindblowing
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  00:19:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just watched Pin Cushion, the big film directorial (and writing) debut for the very promising Deborah Haywood.

Got a bit of a Ken Loach feel to it, but more twee. Also leans towards the Wes Anderson style a lot, a British Wes Anderson you might say (but less boring).

Haywood has already collected a load of awards and commendations for her previous short films, and I can only imagine this one will get the same reception.

I absolutely loved it, and the way she directs the actors to perfection. It's a bit weird, a black comedy. It's an art film.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  05:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good one

I like Wes quite a bit, for the most part.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  10:01:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My introduction into the world of Wes Anderson started with a recommendation for The Life Aquatic, so I rented the DVD from a shop in Holland and I'm afraid I just didn't get it.

The Royal Tennenbaums was a bit better, and Moonrise Kingdom was alright too. By I can generally take him or leave him.

Pin Cushion has some of his trademark polished, bells and whistles and the pauses with no dialogue, a little bit. I think Haywood does a smashing job and I'm quite smitten by this and intend to watch it again.

It's getting rave reviews across the board.

Edited by - pot on 08/10/2018 10:01:48
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  14:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BoJack season 5 is off the charts
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  13:43:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Expanse

Something about an alien species invades the solar system in the future and fucks everything up and noone knows what's happening

Basically what Star Trek Disco would love to be but will never come close, just like DS9 ripped off Babylon 5. Lots of Red Dwarf steampunk.

Hard to follow the overall plot but it makes sense, hard to understand what the characters are saying because they have invented new words and accents.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  14:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm binge-rewatching The Good Place in preparation for season 3 starting tomorrow. Easily the best sitcom I've ever seen! I love how well the philosophical themes are worked into the silly hijinks, and all the characters are fantastic.

Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  19:41:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Leave No Trace
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  04:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight Zone (Rod Serling) for the 1,000th time.

It is still the best thing ever.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  06:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, this ridiculous show "Lost in Space" on Netflix is proving to be very watchable. It's just fun, lighthearted Sci-Fi stuff, nothing you haven't seen before, but before you know it you've watched 4 episodes.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  09:14:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Season 1 of the new Lost In Space reboot is worth a look, as long as you take it as children's scifi which it is. I was a fan of the original series and used to enjoy watching them after my paper run on summer holidays. I think they couldn't have done a better job re-casting it.

On a more serious level,

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Leave No Trace

I've booked this one in for another watch. It's a really beautiful film that will touch your soul about a state of mind that I've always been able to relate to, even as a young boy: The will to stay the fuck as far away from people as is humanely possible. Not that I don't like people, but in general people can fuck off out of my face for 90%+ of my existence.

Refreshingly gentle take on the human condition. No zombies. Thom Mckenzie is a daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  10:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Season 1 of the new Lost In Space reboot is worth a look, as long as you take it as children's scifi which it is. I was a fan of the original series and used to enjoy watching them after my paper run on summer holidays. I think they couldn't have done a better job re-casting it.

On a more serious level,

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Leave No Trace

I've booked this one in for another watch. It's a really beautiful film that will touch your soul about a state of mind that I've always been able to relate to, even as a young boy: The will to stay the fuck as far away from people as is humanely possible. Not that I don't like people, but in general people can fuck off out of my face for 90%+ of my existence.

Refreshingly gentle take on the human condition. No zombies. Thom Mckenzie is a daughter.

Sounds good pot, I'm gonna try to find it this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  06:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who need some deeply depressing dystopian drama to watch, you can't do much better than the Handmaid's Tale.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  11:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved the Handmaid's Tale so far.

Currently watching 'Penoza' (or 'Black Widow') - Dutch crime TV thriller, think Sopranos but more emphasis on the mother and family.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  08:04:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I watched the film version of that a few years ago, A Handmaid's Tale (1990) I think I liked it a lot, but don't remember much about it.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any fans of Norsemen? Netflix comedy about the vikings. Absolutely wonderful stuff - Orm is the Alan Partridge of the viking world, just delightful.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  17:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Any fans of Norsemen? Netflix comedy about the vikings. Absolutely wonderful stuff - Orm is the Alan Partridge of the viking world, just delightful.

That sounds awesome. I’m going to have to check it out- sounds like it might be similar to Galavant, which I love.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  19:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ash vs Evil Dead, a really fun gross spooky silly show that nobody watched. Up to season 3 (last season, it got canceled.)

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, pretty solid and some big standout episodes too. Up to season 3...also.

The Deuce is incredible in it's second season. Season 1 was good...season 2 is really, really, really good.

The Good Place is fun.

I'm a big comic nerd and watch a lot of that stuff: the CW DC Shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow...Legends right now is way better than the other three), Gotham (LOVE), Agents of SHIELD (started out horrible, has gotten really good, finally), etc, etc. There's too many now though, so I don't watch it all. If you had told me 10 years ago I wouldn't find the time to ever watch shows based on Preacher, Runaways, and Teen Titans, I wouldn't believe you.

Also rewatching Newsradio on DVD.

Horror movies for October (though I watch them all year round really): From Beyond, Halloween (original), Body Bags, Curse of Chucky, The Thing (Carpenter), hopefully squeeze in one or two more before November 1!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  11:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Trouble, great recommendations.

Did you see the new Halloween that just came out? Any thoughts on that?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  13:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to see it!! I've heard good buzz from some super harsh film snobs I follow on twitter, so that always gives me a lot of hype for something.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see it if it's not too gory. I love creepy, like scary, but dislike tons of blood and guts.

Not sure what I'll be watching tonight, maybe the original one if it's on somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000