Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancient Aliens

A show that has jumped the shark. But is the shark a shark at all, or is it really an extra terrestrial gate keeper as some ancient astronaut theorists contend?

Ice cream, a delicious treat enjoyed by many. But is ice cream simply frozen milk fat or an advanced sunscreen as some ancient astronaut theorists suggest?

Rick's garden salad, August 5th, 2012. A cherry tomatoe tells Rick that he is not the happily married man and father of four that he thinks he is but rather a dung beetle, as some ancient astronaut theorists believe, who is unable to feed his family and who's home will soon be in foreclosure.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  02:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Ancient Aliens

A show that has jumped the shark. But is the shark a shark at all, or is it really an extra terrestrial gate keeper as some ancient astronaut theorists contend?

Ice cream, a delicious treat enjoyed by many. But is ice cream simply frozen milk fat or an advanced sunscreen as some ancient astronaut theorists suggest?

Rick's garden salad, August 5th, 2012. A cherry tomatoe tells Rick that he is not the happily married man and father of four that he thinks he is but rather a dung beetle, as some ancient astronaut theorists believe, who is unable to feed his family and who's home will soon be in foreclosure.

Priceless!!! How have they managed to make 6 seasons of this?! My favourite episode title has to be "Aliens and Bigfoot"!!!

Ancient Alien theorists believe Bigfoot from Harry and the Hendersons was in fact not a man in costume playing the role of Bigfoot, but an extraterristrial actor playing the role of Sasquatch.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  12:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They took an interesting concept that no one seemed all that bothered by as far as trying to disprove and blew it up all on their own. They went from being worth hearing out to totally laughable. We still don't know how those big ass rocks in Lebanon got there but come on with this shit.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  21:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

A few great shows ive watched recently; Romanzo Criminale - based on true story of a Roman criminal gang in 70's and 80's. Beautifully filmed, great characters, locations and a fantastic soundtrack. Everything from Devo's 'Gut Feeling' to Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' played out to violent scenes, genius.

i liked how far and into detail they went to totally recreate the 70's Italy.
but i couldn't help but measure it to the classic mafia tv series created in the 80's - La Piovra - in which the director of Romanzo Criminale had the starring role as inspector Cattani. no romanticising, no wanton violence, but when there was it was brutally real and tragic, a very straight depiction of what organised crime does to a community. at least the first few seasons. plus Morricone made some memorable music for it.

Sorry just saw your post, I hadn't heard of this but I will definitely check it out, thank you for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  11:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ash Vs Evil Dead. I was scared it would suck but the 1st episode is classic Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. The rest of the season holds up. Now for Brisco County Jr._
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  18:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I've learnt from watching 'Forensic Files' is don't be a female or have someone take life insurance out in your name.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  20:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Little Lies.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK conspiracy thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK though.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 04/08/2017 10:44:00
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK.

Did you finish Utopia? You'd be the first person I "know" who has seen it.

I read the book The Leftovers and that was enough. Well written but exactly what I thought it would be, kind of a vague, depressing tale.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK.

Did you finish Utopia? You'd be the first person I "know" who has seen it.

I read the book The Leftovers and that was enough. Well written but exactly what I thought it would be, kind of a vague, depressing tale.

I did finish Utopia - both series are brilliant, original TV imo, surprised it's not more well known & sad it was dropped.

Not read The Leftovers novel so can't really comment, except to say that the TV version is certainly a bit bleak but gripping nonetheless.

Another book I need to get around to reading after being blown away by the film version - Under The Skin. That's probably quite depressing too I imagine!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed both seasons of Fargo, season three coming soon.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS FOR UTOPIA

It's been a while since I've seen it, character names are pretty much forgotten and my take on this will be jumping back and forth between the two seasons.

About halfway into the first season, I learned the show had been canceled but kept going anyway. I suppose one could view the end of the 2nd season as a gloomy end overall, with what's-his-face eyepatch guy getting the tattoo and carrying on. But the truth is, the show was canceled and who knows what would've happened. That both seasons end with the defeat of the conspiracy, only to have it return suddenly as a cliffhanger into a new season leads me to think the planned ending was something more optimistic. But who knows?

It's a strange show. I really thought there'd be more to the comic book but once you hit a certain point that's gone. Heck, once you hit a certain point the show rockets forward into all kinds of nuttiness. I was at least glad to see Creepy Skinny killer guy get killed.

What's perhaps most disturbing is the villains' ideology. Wouldn't a better plan be some way of finding a way to circumvent the depletion of resources and eliminate the potential catastrophe rather than this germ warfare depopulation idea? Of course, I think most of those took sadistic pleasure in what they were doing, the ideology just an excuse to let loose their sociopathic (or is that psychopathic) behaviors. Look at the old guy who was trying to get the info from that boy...he took glee in what he was doing. The politician tied to the chair seemed to dislike what he was doing but thought it necessary. Both are fucked in the head regardless.

Nice acting, the main character tough girl was both a bit strange looking and sexy in her own way. The schoolyard shooting was rough to watch. Interesting how they made RB a sympathetic character (to a degree).

One of the catchiest themes songs I've ever heard.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  06:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^Agree with most of that although I'm still processing it all really. Utopia wasn't perfect - some of it didn't quite work, it was sometimes not as clever as it thought it was and the violence seemed almost gleefully gratuitous at times. Still, one of the most massively entertaining & thought provoking shows I've ever seen.

"Where is Jessica Hyde?" - I think that line will haunt me for the rest of my days! The actress who played her was pretty bad imo, her performance didn't ring true to me at all, just an annoying bag of cliches. She slightly spoilt season 2 for me, every time she was on screen she took me out of it a little bit. Rest of the cast were brilliant, though - especially Neil Maskell.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 04/09/2017 06:36:10
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  08:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked her acting, I thought she did a good job of capturing a manic yet spacey personality someone would have after what she'd been through. Jessica Hyde, that's right. Who was Neil Maskell? I liked the guy with the family, just a typical middle of the road person with a solid moral backbone who struggles to do the right thing in the face of evil.

Sometimes I'll go on youtube and listen to the theme song.

Not perfect, definitely, and I kinda wish it had just been a one in done series. I do like the british approach of smaller seasons, less filler all story and less time needed to watch.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  05:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Better Call Saul season 2. What an ending!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  07:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Girls was great. Now looking forward to season three of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  17:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched Dr Strange.
Watchable.
Hard to believe how far comic book movies have come.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  03:30:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here And Now
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  10:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real Housewives Of New York

If you can get in the mood it’s good

Also Wendy Williams highlights
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  11:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished Glow the other day, excellent show about a director trying to put together a show about female wrestling. I listened to one or two of Marc Maron's podcasts and just found him an insufferable arsehole but here he's perfectly cast. And Alison Brie is typically outstanding.

Tonight I watched the first episode of Counterpart, JK Simmons' espionage drama. Very tense and promising first episode!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  00:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Finished Glow the other day, excellent show about a director trying to put together a show about female wrestling. I listened to one or two of Marc Maron's podcasts and just found him an insufferable arsehole but here he's perfectly cast. And Alison Brie is typically outstanding.

Tonight I watched the first episode of Counterpart, JK Simmons' espionage drama. Very tense and promising first episode!

Yes, loved "Glow." Hope they do a second season.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:26:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You Were Never Really Here

Joaquin Phoenix as notorious child killer Tom "Jesus Saves" Araya. Been likened to Taxi Driver, which is fairly obvious but it also reminded me of The Bad Lt (original) and Leon. It's a slow cooker, enjoy the cinematography but not too much of that so it gets boring, there is some plot and character development. Nice soundtrack too. it leaves you wondering what it was about. It even (I think) gives a wee nod to the classic 2001 masterpiece that all film directors these days like to reference in some way.

JP nails it in everything he's in. I'm becoming a bit of fan.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  09:11:45  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also still Here And Now.

Peter Macdissi, who also had a smaller part in Six Feet Under. All this stuff about telepathically connecting in dreams, I know what they are talking about. Alan Ball has been consistently cutting edge telly for the past 20 years or so. Good to see him back on form. Banshee was great, and True Blood even better but I'm pleased to see him going back to his SFU roots.

Visions in dreams that predict the death of people I know, connecting with them as they were dying while I was sleeping is the only rational explanation I have for dreaming about their death and remembering visions of being in Glasgow Royal, floating down the corridor and knowing what was on the other end of a phonecall the next day. I also know about people think I'm crazy when I talk about these things.

I also share a birthday with Peter Madissi and there are four 1's shared equally in twos in the same place.

Always been a fan of Alan Ball but shit is getting real with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7QCdAOQSOQ
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  06:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently enjoyed the four seasons of "The Great British Baking Show" (U.S. title of "The Great British Bake Off) that are available from PBS. Trying to figure out how to watch the other three seasons that you Brits had.

Now watching Amazon Prime's "I Love Dick." Almost finished with it and still not sure whether I like it.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  07:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

You Were Never Really Here

Joaquin Phoenix as notorious child killer Tom "Jesus Saves" Araya. Been likened to Taxi Driver, which is fairly obvious but it also reminded me of The Bad Lt (original) and Leon. It's a slow cooker, enjoy the cinematography but not too much of that so it gets boring, there is some plot and character development. Nice soundtrack too. it leaves you wondering what it was about. It even (I think) gives a wee nod to the classic 2001 masterpiece that all film directors these days like to reference in some way.

JP nails it in everything he's in. I'm becoming a bit of fan.

Watched this a few weeks back - JP was phenomenal. One of the best acting performances ever. Good shout on the Bad Lieutenant, has the same sort of stark grittiness to it. The film itself was good, maybe very good, but I was left wanting a bit more. I don't know what.

Onto the second season of The Detectorists, such a lovely show. I had been watching Counterpart which stars JK Simmons in two roles but I have kind of got bored halfway through... if it wasn't for JK I probably would have given up ages ago.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  01:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Rachel Divide on Netflix.

Documentary about Rachel Dolezal, woman born white who now identifies as black.

Very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2018 :  10:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started The Shield. Only slightly dated but it's good fun.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  10:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just watched "All the Money in the World."

Despite good directing and great performances, the story never gripped me. "Who cares" I kept thinking.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  04:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a Peep Show rewatch. Forgot about the Pixies references that are dotted about the show. Apparently they almost went with a Pixies song as the theme tune but in the end chose Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger. Wonder what they would have gone for.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  05:50:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

On a Peep Show rewatch. Forgot about the Pixies references that are dotted about the show. Apparently they almost went with a Pixies song as the theme tune but in the end chose Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger. Wonder what they would have gone for.

They should never have dropped the original first series theme music IMO, it worked so much better than this Harvey Danger trash. The original music was a bit weird and lent itself better to the show's character than it's succcessor, which I assume was chosen in an attempt to make the show "appeal to a wider audience"

Doesn't really matter I suppose, but I remember watching Peep Show on channel 4 in the wee small hours back in 2003. I thought it was a reality TV show at first, then I started paying attentions and then shortly after everyone else got in to it.

It's a shame they never made a 3D film of it really? (you can disregard that comment and consider it part of my inner monologue if you like)

I think they'll bring it back for another series or one-off eventually. They always do.

Edited by - pot on 06/03/2018 05:51:12
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  20:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching my back

https://youtu.be/taBps3Uz4ZQ
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  02:13:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just binge watched the first 4 eps of Big Little Lies. Not bad, got a contemporary feel to it like Here And Now. The new Thirtysomething.

I reckon Nicole Kidman's still going to look smoldering hot when she's 80, even to people who are still my age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCB2eDF3jBM (Janis Joplin)

Too cool soundtrack too. I never realised I actually also don't mind one of Michael Kiwanakawawi's song either.

Edited by - pot on 06/05/2018 12:40:39
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  06:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billions is watchable.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might rewatch Eyes Wide Shut. Nicole Kidman totally nailed her part in Big Little Lies.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  09:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Might rewatch Eyes Wide Shut. Nicole Kidman totally nailed her part in Big Little Lies.

Last year I began watching the complete Nicole Kidman filmography. Still haven't finished yet, but it's worth doing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000