Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope you stay around Julie. you seem like a nice person. this place is mostly filled with intelligent, nice people. much better than i would imagine a Pearl Jam forum

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  15:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JulieSF

quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

I figured that out! I started seeing traffic from Gothamist. But! As much as I appreciate the thought -- which I do -- don't get any crazy ideas about linking to Pearl Jam sites! Pearl Jam fans are freakishly vocal, and it took me a while to recover from the onslaught after I posted the Pearl Jam story. (I think that's the only post that's likely to antagonize anyone -- I pick on myself and try to avoid picking on anyone else.)

If you don't want me to post the link to your blog, that's fine. It's just that you seemed pleasantly surprised to be getting the new traffic, I was like, "Um, doesn't she realize that posting the link at sites read by people with similar interests will generate new page hits?" I assumed that's what you wanted.

As for the Pearl Jam crowd, it doesn't surprise me...that's the predictable reaction of fanboiz. Why are you worried about what fanboiz think of you? Most are still living in their mothers' basements. Fuck 'em. Same thing happens with Pixies fanboiz. Go back and read some of the posts where I've ripped on Thompson for playing games as concerns a new Pixies project. The nice Pixies fans get sand in their manginas and and come out hissing at me like diseased geese.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, and there is nothing wrong with rattling cages. A lot of great art has come out of conflict and discord. Look at Thompson and Deal for example.....two sticks rubbing together make fire.

I agree, picking on Vedder would be wrong......I'd like to punch him in the face.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/19/2013 15:49:40
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  15:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

quote:
and a shitload of Pixie Action Figures to sell.

I'm assuming that's a joke... or were there really Pixies figures produced? In any case, hi Julie!

Joking! No Dead Primates In A Casket either... (HELLO!)
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  16:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

I figured that out! I started seeing traffic from Gothamist. But! As much as I appreciate the thought -- which I do -- don't get any crazy ideas about linking to Pearl Jam sites! Pearl Jam fans are freakishly vocal, and it took me a while to recover from the onslaught after I posted the Pearl Jam story. (I think that's the only post that's likely to antagonize anyone -- I pick on myself and try to avoid picking on anyone else.)

If you don't want me to post the link to your blog, that's fine. It's just that you seemed pleasantly surprised to be getting the new traffic, I was like, "Um, doesn't she realize that posting the link at sites read by people with similar interests will generate new page hits?" I assumed that's what you wanted.

As for the Pearl Jam crowd, it doesn't surprise me...that's the predictable reaction of fanboiz. Why are you worried about what fanboiz think of you? Most are still living in their mothers' basements. Fuck 'em. Same thing happens with Pixies fanboiz. Go back and read some of the posts where I've ripped on Thompson for playing games as concerns a new Pixies project. The nice Pixies fans get sand in their manginas and and come out hissing at me like diseased geese.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, and there is nothing wrong with rattling cages. A lot of great art has come out of conflict and discord. Look at Thompson and Deal for example.....two sticks rubbing together make fire.

I agree, picking on Vedder would be wrong......I'd like to punch him in the face.

I'm psyched to be getting traffic from frankblack.org! I know that Pixies fans are cool, and there's nothing that I wrote about David that would upset him. (He's probably be surprised that I wrote about him in such glowing terms.)

I'm not concerned about any other post I've written. It's only Pearl Jam. They have vicious fans, and I'd prefer to stay off their radar. (I still get hate mail from Eddie defenders, and it's nine months later.)

I have a bad case of PJPTSD - Pearl Jam Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

See, look, I caved -- I'm back online...

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  16:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm psyched to be getting traffic from frankblack.org! I know that Pixies fans are cool, and there's nothing that I wrote about David that would upset him. (He's probably be surprised that I wrote about him in such glowing terms.)

I'm not concerned about any other post I've written. It's only Pearl Jam. They have vicious fans, and I'd prefer to stay off their radar. (I still get hate mail from Eddie defenders, and it's nine months later.)

I have a bad case of PJPTSD - Pearl Jam Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

See, look, I caved -- I'm back online...

I still can't understand why the Darth Vedder fans have you so freaked out. It's the interwebz for Jebus sake. it's not like they can kill with their keyboards. I mean, I've been trying to come up with an app that will allow me to shoot people from my smart phone, but I haven't been having much success.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  11:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pearl Jam are my favorite band and brought me to Frank Black sooner than I would've listened to his music on my own. I loved the Pixies but hadn't ventured into Frank Black's solo material. I don't recall if I thought his work wouldn't be as good or if I was just waiting, as I sometimes do, for the right mood to check out his work.

In the summer of 98 I was going to see Pearl Jam and Frank was opening so I figured I should check out his solo stuff. I purchased FB, Teenager and Ray and was amazed at the songwriting; looking back I'm still shocked at the wealth of new music I was enjoying. Those three albums, all at once...! Wow.

After hearing those songs I no longer viewed the Pixies as somewhat separate from his solo work, but instead as a continuum, a wonderful tapestry of tunes woven by a genius.

c'est tout
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  11:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I obviously don't know the ins and outs of that story and why that particular relationship fizzled out (I suspect there's more to it than revealed) but the 'Suspect' IDs thing made me chortle. I used to be a big Pearl Jam fan but I haven't listened to them in ages. They've a pretty good catalogue and like Frank there's always a few gems amongst the crud. Apparently Stone Gossard was a fan of the Catholics while someone was obviously a fan of No 13 Baby since 'Smile' borrows a part from it. Both wonderful songs.

So yeah the shitty generalisations are a tad irksome.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  11:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never thought I'd see someone mention Smile on this board! That's very funny. I never heard that connection between those two songs. I'll have to compare...

Before playing Kicked in the Taco, Frank said it was Stone's request. That was a fun moment for me!

With all the blather about Kurt Cobain and the Pixies influence, when I think about it now, I can see an Frank's influence in Stone's songwriting, Not in a direct way, but more in the way Stone throws chords together. Perhaps as more of an approach to writing a song.

Smile could just be a coincidence. Spin the Black Circle shares sounds like Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du. I way prefer the former and always figured it was coincidence. The riff goes down the neck, it seems like something that happens. Frank experienced it with Velouria and with You Ain't Me.

Smile's a good song but it's no Satan's Bed!

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 01/21/2013 11:47:22
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  13:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I never thought I'd see someone mention Smile on this board! That's very funny. I never heard that connection between those two songs. I'll have to compare...

Before playing Kicked in the Taco, Frank said it was Stone's request. That was a fun moment for me!

With all the blather about Kurt Cobain and the Pixies influence, when I think about it now, I can see an Frank's influence in Stone's songwriting, Not in a direct way, but more in the way Stone throws chords together. Perhaps as more of an approach to writing a song.

Smile could just be a coincidence. Spin the Black Circle shares sounds like Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du. I way prefer the former and always figured it was coincidence. The riff goes down the neck, it seems like something that happens. Frank experienced it with Velouria and with You Ain't Me.

Smile's a good song but it's no Satan's Bed!

I haven't listened to Smile (or N13B) in a long time so my memory is a bit hazy, but there is something there, intentional or not.

Ah that's cool about Stone requesting KITT. Him and Frank are both stellar rhythm guitarists so it's nice there's a kind of appreciation between them (even if possibly one-sided).

Hmm it could have been a coincidence - I'd say it's probably down to Stone/McCready listening to Zen Arcade, subconsciously absorbing it and later re-playing it without realising. Probably similar to what actually happened with that guy accused of stealing Louis CK's jokes. But yeah STBC is a brilliant song. I love it and all of Vitalogy. Also, gonna have to listen to Velouria and You Aint Me tomorrow since I never noticed any similarity!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  16:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I should've been clearer.

Velouria sounds like some song, or part of it does, or Frank thought it did, of some pop song that has the lyrics, "IN THE SUMMER, IN THE CITY!" similar to Velouria. While You Ain't Me sounds like a Tommy Tutone song, I think JENNY 867-5309.

Vitalogy is excellent. I love Spin the Black Circle! It's right behind my number one song, Satan's Bed!

Yeah, I agree, they're both excellent rhythm players. I love how on Cult of Ray and the first Catholics album, you can just listen to the rhythm if you want. Well, I think you can on Cult of Ray, it's been a while since I've listened to that. Sometimes I'll pan over to Stone's side on a bootleg just to focus on him, too.

cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  16:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that the whole thing sounds like Tommy Tutone. I think I heard an acoustic version where he even introduces it that way, mentioning the Tommy Tutone thing. I can hear it.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  13:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two years later I realize I probably derailed this thread with my love of Pearl Jam. At least I didn't attack her as she said others have over the band and her p.o.v. of them.

Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  10:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Two years later I realize I probably derailed this thread with my love of Pearl Jam. At least I didn't attack her as she said others have over the band and her p.o.v. of them.

Oh well.

Oh man, I completely forgot that Lovering's ex once made a few posts here. I doubt she stopped posting because of anything anyone here said to her. Looking at her blog, there doesn't seem to be much happening. At one time she was an employee of a record company, and I think she's being very careful trying not to burn any bridges in hopes of getting another job. She's fooling herself, the recording biz has been profoundly changed by the interwebz. The recording industry has gone through its Detroit moment and and those jobs are not coming back. Instead she should write a tell-all book about her time in the recording industry. I'm sure the money from such a book would keep her in beer and skittles for while.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000