Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2022 :  02:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, i was surprised how much cheaper fnac was.
i got a good deal on the "live in brixton" box sets too. best i could find (in the EU, that is).

it won't stay that cheap. the 10% off will come and go.
and i expect the price to go way up at some point (around release date?). brixton is a lot more expensive now too.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2022 :  08:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was reading an old Frank interview from DITS era, link below. Strange how things have changed in 20 years but some things stay the same. Nice point from the author who says 'you can only tear down a wall once' when contemplating why FB solo wasn't as revered as the Pixies. It's like reading about Pixies now compared to the first run.

https://magnetmagazine.com/2001/04/15/frank-black-odd-ball/
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  04:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vinyl box set is getting some reviews, haven't seen much in the big music press but decent review here

https://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2022/07/08/frank-black-the-catholics-the-complete-studio-albums-demon-records/
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  04:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/frank-black-and-the-catholics-an-ever-evolving-solo-career-collected
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  04:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plus just one more

https://uber-rock.co.uk/frank-black-and-the-catholics-the-complete-studio-albums-demon/
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2022 :  16:26:52  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got the box set, it's lean and mean. As are the liner notes. In the credits is listed a (new to me) URL - I searched the forum but couldn't find it, so I'll paste it here: https://blackfranc.is/

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2022 :  11:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also received the box set today.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2022 :  05:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://thequietus.com/articles/31750-frank-black-and-the-catholics-box

Interesting article.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2022 :  22:39:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The photo's are mostly the DITS-promo stuff.

Very nice but no Dave Philips on them.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2022 :  03:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The records sound great and the box set is very nicely put together! I appreciated the context given by the writings in the book. Mainly it's just fantastic to have all these albums on vinyl now. Very happy with it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2022 :  11:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Nostalgia obscures the fact that classic bangers such as 'La La Love You' were separated by only a couple of tracks from throwaway nuggets like 'Monkey Gone To Heaven'."

Is this a joke?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2022 :  12:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that was quite obvious. Though I'd be more inclined to play La La Love You more than Monkey these days.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2022 :  13:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just love every song on Doolittle and I figure they're all designated "classics" these days, so my sense of humor could not detect what was happening there.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2022 :  09:07:02  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
from FB:
Coming on @RSD Black Friday on 25th November - ‘One More Road For The Hit’ on vinyl for the first time. Newly remastered from the original tapes by Phil Kinrade at AIR Mastering, pressed on 140g clear vinyl and featuring exclusive new artwork. You can get a copy from a participating indie record shop near you: https://recordstoreday.co.uk/shop-locator/ #RSDBF

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2022 :  09:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news - I'll pick it up if it's not too expensive since I (obviously) never had it on CD.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 09/14/2022 09:30:08
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2022 :  10:01:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes! I believe it was not released on cd before

Wonder why it wasn't part of the box

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2022 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two Frank Black and the Catholics B-sides collections came out in 2006, "One More Road for the Hit", which was all Frank originals, and "Snake Oil", which was all cover songs. They were digital-only, no physical format at all (aside from the scattered CD singles, natch, though not all of the tracks came out on CD singles).

They were the first things I ever bought on iTunes! I didn't have an iPod at the time so I just burned them to CD-Rs, which I still have.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2022 :  22:08:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do have 3 singles on cd. Maybe I will get rid of them now.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2022 :  00:51:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't remember if the versions on the compilations are the same as the CD singles. In any case, the SMYT ep was never released on CD except on the Complete Recordings box set.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2022 :  01:14:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So are you getting this and Doggerel, Denis?

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2022 :  05:19:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely! I'll probably listen to Doggerel 2 or 3 times, and 1MR4TH once, but still...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

ofabsis
= Cult of Ray =

France
268 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2022 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/10387
Link to one more road.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  12:04:55  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Per FB:
New vinyl reissues coming on 20th January 2023 – Frank Black And The Catholics’ ‘Snake Oil’ and ‘Live At Melkweg (Expanded Edition)’
Now available to order worldwide: https://frankblack.lnk.to/vinyl
‘Snake Oil’, a compilation of cover versions from ’98 to ’03, is issued on vinyl for the first time. The album has been newly remastered by Phil Kinrade at AIR Mastering from the original master tapes and features exclusive new artwork with photographs by Steve Gullick.
‘Live At Melkweg (Expanded Edition)’ features the complete 38 song show from 2001, including 18 previously unreleased tracks. Newly remastered by Thaddeus Moore at Liquid Mastering and pressed on three 140g vinyl, housed in a deluxe triple gatefold sleeve.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  13:21:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The first officially released Catholics show

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  06:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man, that full Live t Melkweg show looks like a beast. It's really a shame the price of records has skyrocketted though... before the pandemic the average price for a record where I live was was $25 CAD (though you were starting to see more $30 records), now it seems to be $40.

So One More Road for the Hit is a record store day exclusive, but Snake Oil will be widely available? One More Road for the Hit is the one I really want, so hopefully I'll be able to find it.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  04:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remember those Catholics shows you could by online--Like live at the Double Door? There was another one as well. Can't remember if you were able to download and then burn or if they sent you the disc. Those were full shows that were incredible. Masters must exists somewhere...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  04:57:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OH yeah, you are right. "Hear It Again . NET" or something

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  12:20:57  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What shows were released as part of that series? Have I missed any?
The Double Door, Chicago (2003-03-28)
Slim's, San Francisco (2003-04-19)
The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA (2003-04-23) incomplete with just the 5 songs
Shepherd's Bush, London (2003-12-01)

I have all the complete ones, but don't think I have the other one.
They were sold as mp3 sets.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  12:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds about right. He should have them remastered etc...
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would be first in line for a digital release of Melkweg. Can not play vinyl...really hope there's a way I can get that full show!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2022 :  13:59:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally broke down and grabbed the Catholics box at the local shop. I already had SMYT and Pistolero original pressings but it was worth the price of entry to get the others. Can’t wait to get them home and fire it up!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2022 :  00:03:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Finally broke down and grabbed the Catholics box at the local shop. I already had SMYT and Pistolero original pressings but it was worth the price of entry to get the others. Can’t wait to get them home and fire it up!

Let us know what you think about the pressings when you have heard them

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2022 :  05:00:51  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Let us know what you think about the pressings when you have heard them

I was out late last night so didn’t get a chance to spin, but I got through self titled this morning - sounds great. Quiet vinyl (clear btw), really well mastered and pressed. I think my CD is in storage, but I A/B’d a few tracks in real time (switching sources during the song) between the LP and Apple “Lossless” audio. Running both through a Marantz 2275 with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers, Technics SL-1200MK2 with an Ortofon Super OM40. I say all that in case anyone knows what I’m talking about - it does matter what your rig is.

Anyway - there is absolutely no comparison (there rarely is), but the lossless stream is an absolute joke compared to the vinyl. The stream is thin, quiet, and pathetic compared to the vinyl. I mean it’s not going to be a revelation for anyone familiar with the music - it’s not a remix. It’s still a scrappy live record on tape which shows some telltale saturation and such - I.e. exactly what you’re going for recording on tape. Anyway, the record is outstanding, super full, rich sound. I’m very happy with my purchase.

All that said, if you’re using like a $150 record player through some tiny speakers or something, you’ll probably not hear any difference. If you’re gonna spend the moolah on vinyl, you gotta pony up for a decent system to make it worth the time, money, and storage space.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/15/2022 05:02:51
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2022 :  12:31:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reveling in the Catholics vinyl box over here. Man, haven’t done any heavy Catholics listening in a long long time. What a fucking great band and run of albums. Listening to them back to back on vinyl is an absolute treat.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2022 :  07:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone able to get their hands on One More Road for the Hit on the Black Friday Record Store Day? It didn't seem like they were offered in Toronto.

How's the boxset vinyl sounding johnnyribcage or anyone else who has it? Is it worth the upgrade from CD?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000