Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  01:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though I think it is signed I agree it's a weak facsimile. I too expected more. Was also hoping there'd be more live shows/rarities released digitally.
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  02:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is signed - the signature on my print is different than the one in the picture recently posted.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  03:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that print does look disappointing.

Does anyone have any idea of who to contact regarding the mastering error? I haven't received any response from Cooking Vinyl.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  04:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aerohead

It is signed - the signature on my print is different than the one in the picture recently posted.

Here is a picture of my print:
http://imgur.com/4FbafZe
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  09:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had such high hopes for the print. There's an open space in my dull-colored living room above my entertainment center, and I've been searching for something to brighten the room. I spent the extra cash for the print because it's so bright and colorful. Honestly, I would rather he take a hi-def snapshot, and let us print it off on our own. I'm tempted to put the picture from the PledgeMusic site on a USB, and take it to the local Walmart to get it blown up.

BTW, End of Miles --> Everything is New gives me omg chills. Frisson!

Also, I read on his wiki page of a low-budget video made in Germany for "Robert Onion". Anyone have an idea where I could locate this?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  23:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcusb

Does anyone have any idea of who to contact regarding the mastering error? I haven't received any response from Cooking Vinyl.

maybe the bureau?
http://thebureaurecords.com/contact-us/

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't expect too much, though.
maybe a download of the fixed track, at most.
a new cd without the error? i don't think that's an option, financially.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  19:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this update re the "print" on the PledgeMusic discussion page. http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/frankblackandthecatholics/discussion

Hi everyone,

I am currently investigating about the prints and will contact you when I receive some information.

Luke
PledgeMusic
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  19:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this update re the "print" on the PledgeMusic discussion page. http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/frankblackandthecatholics/discussion

Hi everyone,

I am currently investigating about the prints and will contact you when I receive some information.

Luke
PledgeMusic
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  01:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Print Fail

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  12:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's disappointing, and frankly weird! I even have several posters bought from Frank's site, dirt-cheap, that are clearly physically signed (including a badly/cute-ly smudged version), plus the signed/numbered Golem booklet/CD that's also clearly signed.

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  18:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got another update, and Pledge is offering a partial refund (5 british pounds) or a full refund if you want to return the "print", to make up for the problems with it. Nothing has been said that I'm aware of re the drop-out on the mastering.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  00:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/05/catching-up-with-frank-black-1.html

I missed this interview previously, one of the best interviews I've read in some time about the Catholics.

I was thinking the other day that Rich Gilbert is a versatile genius, a mix of Keith Richards, Ray Manzarek and a punky Austin Powers(!)

Here's a link to an old article / interview with Rich that mentions some cool stuff about FB / Catholics;

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/music/cellars/documents/02660691.htm
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  07:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grandmacaesar

I got another update, and Pledge is offering a partial refund (5 british pounds) or a full refund if you want to return the "print", to make up for the problems with it. Nothing has been said that I'm aware of re the drop-out on the mastering.

For the mastering error, I've contacted Cooking Vinyl, The Bureau (email and on FB) and PledgeMusic without a response.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  03:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't hold my breath on much of a tidal wave to build over the mastering error. I listened to it and, gotta admit, I don't care.

Anyway, the box set is pretty wonderful. This is probably my favorite period of Frank's music. My old CDs are beat to hell. A few of them are unplayable now (before everybody had MP3 players, I could be pretty rough on CDs). I was wanting hard copies again, but holding out for the box set and it was worth it. The $70 price tag also makes want to treat this a little nicer than my Black Letter Days twelve years ago, losing it under the seats of my car. No, the packaging isn't crazy with information, full of photos or liner notes. It's just some nice gatefold CD sleeves in a sturdy slipcase and a lyric booklet with a Mike Watt foreward, but that's fine. Like all of Frank's bands, the Catholics were aloof. Frank opens up now and then because he gets asked and he's human, but if he had his way 100%, I think he would prefer to maintain as much mystery as possible about his songs, his records and how they're created. I'm sympathetic to that. It's part of why I like him so much and this box set is completely in-character for him and the band.

The familiar songs hold up beautifully. The unfamiliar tracks made me stop and take in every note. And that "True Blue" disc is a trip.

This goes with me to the desert island.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  05:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

I wouldn't hold my breath on much of a tidal wave to build over the mastering error. I listened to it and, gotta admit, I don't care.

I'm not expecting a "tidal wave" over it. But the flaw is very apparent. I'd just like to see what they would say about it.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  11:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

My old CDs are beat to hell. A few of them are unplayable now (before everybody had MP3 players, I could be pretty rough on CDs).

My wife (now my ex) was not one to take care of CDs. I eventually amassed a lot of the tunes on mp3s...but after listening to the mp3s forever and a day, then popping in these high-quality recordings, a person can easily hear the difference.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT? I'm jonesin' for some live Catholics, audio and video, and the links in the "Trading" forum are all dead!

Man...I wish they'd get back together.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  19:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this has been posted before. It's a pretty good review of the box set.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/192006-frank-black-and-the-catholics-the-complete-discography/
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont know if these have been posted before but found a couple of recent interviews and an older one that hadn't read before;

R13:Has revisiting all of this material encouraged you into writing new stuff under ‘Frank Black & The Catholics’?
FB: No. I'd need to have a reason. An offer from somebody. I have discussed doing new material with some of the Catholics and so, it is a possibility. We'll see how it all works out. I see that Scott and Dave are out touring again with Mark Mulcahy.

http://www.roomthirteen.com/features/1120/Frank_Black_Interview.html

http://therecoup.com/2015/06/08/frank-black-and-the-catholics-i-dont-mind-a-little-ear-damage/

http://shepherdexpress.com/article-permalink-7218.html
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  12:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the interview links.

From therecoup interview:

"The Catholics made six records in five years, and we had fun. Would The Catholics ever do something again? Probably not, no, because it was a very specific moment in time. It was a good run, and, more importantly, it was a good experiment for me as an artist."

That hurts me to the core....
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  10:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a recent periscope session, asked if the Catholics would ever work together again, he answered:" I don't know man ! I don't know !".

Well, at least that wasn't a "No".

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  10:19:47  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you think we just want what we don't have?
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  21:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really miss how well those guys performed together. It was so much more alive than the Pixies, no doubt due to the recording style. And his songwriting skills went over the top at that time.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  05:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I share your pain grandmacaesar, almost like the love of your life telling you it was just a bit of fun at a certain time in their life!

Well, maybe not quite...I suppose the best way to look at it is that it wasn't too long (long enough though) ago they last recorded. There is a lot of clamour for a FB Self Titled and TOTY reunion tour especially as they will be coming up to their 25th anniversary in the coming years.

I dont know if the Pixies will go on forever, but Im fairly sure BF will not forget his solo career in the long run.

With him talking with members of the Catholics about recording new music (wasnt he speaking with Rich G about making an album?) im optimistic. Though it may not be the Catholics, Id be excited to hear BF with Rich again.

Dave McCaffrey and Rich brought a great energy to their live performances, though the Pixies exude cool on stage, sometimes you just want a bit of manic Rich Gilbert moving like a cyborg Austin Powers!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  01:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd pick up a new Catholics album. At the same time, I'm happy with what we've gotten. From All my Ghosts to Manitoba is a great run of music. Fitting in a way that the coda to the song is all of them (plus Jack Kidney) playing together, just the instruments.

If not a reunion tour but more a couple shows to kinda put a bow on the whole thing would be great. Especially if 1826 or Blast-Off became their Vamos.

However, I think a new Catholics record would be also be great, especially if they rocked it up a bit more than Show Me Your Tears.

But if it doesn't happen, I'm glad for what they did record. It's a great run of music.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  01:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, Rich is a phenomenal guitarist, his soloing a mix of melody, shredding and crazy bends. And noise!

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  01:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those interviews!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  01:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who purchased the box set, does the alphabetical order work for you? Think it was a good call?

cheers
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  09:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very happy with the song order. Isn't it cool how properly, All My Ghosts pops up first? I can even happily sing along with all the versions of Humboldt without skipping a track, because each one is so different. And the order provides me with a new listening experience...when a song comes to its end, I'm not prepared for what comes next alphabetically.

New music from the Catholics would be so welcome, even if they never played another live show, as the songs are recorded "live". Still, the intensity of the one live performance I caught was blissful.

Pixies are great---and no doubt, at least for now, they're his cash-cow---but I'm a hard-core Catha-holic.
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  14:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So tasty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzToAg5krSo
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  20:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hammerhands,

I don't think it's a case of wanting what you don't have. While that's a common thing to happen, in this case I just think a lot of people have a love for this band that broke up suddenly and without warning. There was something special about the Catholics, beyond the live to two-track and the great shows. Maybe it was just Frank writing songs that were a mix of his creativity, quirkiness and more traditional song stylings for a band of technically skilled musicians.

Six albums, each one pretty damn good. Unlike other bands, there's zero filler; just songs that may not fit my mood at a particular time or perhaps I just don't care for but can still recognize the quality.

As a live band they were great. I still think, to a certain extent, they peaked on stage in 01. Those were long shows, very intense and covered a wide range of both their albums, the Pixies and some interesting covers. While I still love the 03 tour, the song selection seemed a bit more limited and the shows were definitely shorter.

The Catholics, particularly on stage were an exciting melange of rock, bits of country and blues and punk. Frank's songwriting and their ability to add to the music is a potent combination.

It's also different from Pixies and his solo work. Being on the highway late at night on a long drive and hearing the riff to 1826 come on keeps you going.

There could also be an element of the underdog at play. The Pixies, while not the most famous band in the world, certainly had a triumphant reunion. The Catholics still have that unknown edge to them.

Maybe it's all of the above.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  05:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Catholics were so great on stage partly because they toured like crazy. They went everywhere. They went to parts of the country that most club-level rock bands skip. They played Maine. They played El Paso. And they did it more than once. They were a little cult band with great chemistry and they played both to people who were rabid fans of Frank's music and people who maybe weren't so familiar with it. That gave them some extra freedom to play around with the songs and play whatever they wanted. I saw a few Catholics shows where the band played maybe five (if that many) older songs and the rest of the set was all from the latest album (with several from the next one, not yet released).

(By contrast, the Pixies--though they are MONSTERS on stage, don't get me wrong--are more about giving the people what they want, earning that upscale ticket price.)

I love the Catholics. It's my favorite period for Frank's music. I loved getting to see them so many times in small clubs. I love how deep Frank got into classic rock, churning out those albums. I love so many of those songs.

But I'm with Frank in that it was a "specific moment in time". I'd certainly be interested in some new Catholics-related thing, but I'm not clamoring for it. When something ends, I'm more of a "celebrate what happened" person rather than a "mourn what didn't happen" person. Their body of work is still pretty heavy (for a band who only existed for five years), that last live album is a crusher and this box set is a perfect tombstone.

The Catholics, like any old band, are alive again whenever you play them.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  06:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely said.

I pretty much love most of what Frank's done, Pixies, Catholics, solo.

But I still remember the first time I saw the Catholics, they opened with Nimrod and the energy of a Pixies song and the Catholics delivery was amazing. I was in awe.

I lean more towards the "specific moment" as well. It's why it's taken me a while to get to Indy Cindy.

The energy of the Catholics, especially from Dog in the Sand, on stage was amazing. And good point about their body of work. There's a lot there to enjoy.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  04:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following on from the Polaris shows last year it looks like Mr Ray Neal has joined up and Miracle Legion have reformed (with Scott, Dave and Mark Mulcahy). They are playing the Greenman festival in the UK this August.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  12:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard True Blue yet?
The Complete Recordings - Box Set. Bonus Disk Seven – “True Blue” – alternate versions of songs from Black Letter Days

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000