New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  04:22:14  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.placestogoinseattle.com/events/85675-Polaris-LIVE-on-KEXP-/ And don't miss this upcoming Polaris live session.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  04:42:16  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/brian-wilson-waxahatchee-blues-traveler-music-reviews/story?id=30235679 Scroll down for another Boxset review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  06:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got an email today from Amazon telling me the release date is May 5th :-/

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  05:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is confirmed by PledgeMusic too:
quote:
Important release date information from Cooking Vinyl

We regret to announce that we’ve made the decision to move the Frank Black and the Catholics release back by 2 weeks to May 4th. With making a complex product like this you run the risk of unforeseen delays and unfortunately the stock was caught up during shipping from its oversees manufacturer. Rather than attempt to rush the release we have made the decision to move the release date back by 2 weeks, insuring that this beautify box set arrives at your doorstep without any further issues. Thank you for your continued support, we hope that you enjoy this incredible collection of music.

Cooking Vinyl

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  06:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on my "Orders" page, PledgeMusic now lists 18 May as the date. :/
Oh well. I'll get it eventually. No biggie.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  09:22:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.placestogoinseattle.com/events/85675-Polaris-LIVE-on-KEXP-/ And don't miss this upcoming Polaris live session.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/album-review-polaris-music-from-the-adventures-of-pete-pete-reissue/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  02:55:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Just a friendly reminder that the Polaris live session will be streaming today.Videos of the session should be available a few weeks after that.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  02:56:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVl_hKAnAA Polaris 'Hey Sandy' live @ Echoplex.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  01:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My box set arrived today! Woohoo!
I wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks.

And on my birthday, no less. Well played, PledgeMusic, well played.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  11:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday Disco, please share your thoughts on True Blue in particular when you can
Go to Top of Page

ofabsis
= Cult of Ray =

France
268 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  23:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, receive box yesterday. Disappointment. I receive only the boxset. Not the Limited edition signed print.

Boxset :

Trueblue album

WTF? :((

Extract from my order :
"The print is a limited edition from the original Charles Thompson painting used on the artwork of this Box Set. There will only be 200 of this item, each will be 12inches by 16 inches or 30.5 cm by 40.6 cm, numbered and signed by the artist.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  03:49:14  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://thenoise-boston.com/2015/04/frank-black/ Frank Black Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  06:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ofabsis, there could be chances that your print will be sent in a different package; I've been in the same situation with another boxset(Adore remastered by The Smashing Pumpkins) 6 months ago, ordered it at a special place so I could receive a bonus lithograph. It actually arrived one month and a half later than the boxset itself... so let's hope you're in the same case.

Edited by - ruzom on 04/30/2015 06:42:00
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  02:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received the box set today - it looks and sounds great. Sadly no print for me either as yet, ofabsis!

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  09:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received mine today as well. It shipped from Europe, so I'm not surprised the signed print wasn't with it. I'm sure we will be receiving it soon, though.
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  11:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received mine today as well, sans print. Looks like tomorrow will be an all day listening session.
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  13:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, the only song from SSMVGD that is different on the box set is "Sister Isabelle". Does anyone have a good (preferably FLAC) version of this song from SSMVGD I could get? The copy I have is a lower-quality 128kbps MP3 and I haven't been able to find anything better yet.

Also, are there any other songs (or alternate versions of songs) out there that weren't included in the box set?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Five Star Edge
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  17:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'I Switched You' does not fade out so we get to hear the 'real' ending of the song. This version lasts 5:58 compared to the 5:21 album version.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not had a chance to listen yet but Google Play have just honoured my order with the price at £5.49 :)
Looking forward to checking out the True Blue versions first.
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  08:03:21  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received mine yesterday as well. I have jammed True Blue a few times and the gem is The Farewell Bend. Blows the original version out of the water. The version on BLD is actually one of my least liked songs but this version is smoking. Much faster.

The only songs I don't find included is the acoustic version of Le Cigare Volant from the Japanese version of DITS and Sister Isabelle and His Kingly Cave from SSMVGD. Everything else appears to be in the box set.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  04:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to a few songs so far. Really impressed. So far loving Living on Soul, Humboldt County Massacre, Sister Isabelle and Selkie Bride, all great versions.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  05:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received mine today plus t-shirt ... Briefly went thru each disc, so good listening to all these songs again, the mastering is really good too.

I like how a lot of the songs have the lead-in intros added, where they were mostly edited out on the original albums. However Back to Rome and Bullet have the lead-in or intro deleted when it was there on the album ?? Why do that ??? and All My Ghosts is the single version (not the album version with the false start) album version is better imo ...

Love the demo versions on True Blue, particularly Valentine & Garuda

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 05/05/2015 12:00:11
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  13:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Five Star Edge

'I Switched You' does not fade out so we get to hear the 'real' ending of the song. This version lasts 5:58 compared to the 5:21 album version.

Yes, much better unedited full-length!!

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  13:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The booklet ia a bit scant on recording details.

Anyone know what sessions or years Selkie Bride | Blizzard 1989 | John The Revelator | Song Of The Shrimp were cut?

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The box is now also on Deezer and (I suppose) Spotify too.
Listening to Selkie Bride now!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  15:17:10  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I'm a hypocritical jerk, but since there was no vinyl version for which I would have forked over a saved $500 for, I bought the $7 Google play version. And it sounds great. I haven't listened to some of these songs for a few years, and it's just such a great thing. I didn't eyeball everything but is Atlantis off the set?

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  22:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe that wasn't a catholics-era cover, but from the Honeycomb years.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  02:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh* Just got another email from Amazon.com saying my order has been delayed.. I canceled with them. Of all places, Target.com says they have it and I ordered it from them.. even after tax it's $5 cheaper than Amazon. Hopefully they really do have it in stock!

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  03:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the lyrics booklet on the page with King & Queen of Siam, there's a neat graphic of their equipment trailer being stolen (by aliens?). I don't suppose any of their equipment has surfaced? Great box set, really enjoying listening to it. Even the longer intros & outros are cool.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  04:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know why the other version of I'll be blue isn't included?

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Five Star Edge
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  07:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone notice that 'Western Star' is listed on the Pledgemusic tracklisitng for True Blue but is not included on the disc?

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frankblackboxset/updates/44653
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  09:21:00  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It came this morning, no print. I bought tons of CDs this week.

Edited by - hammerhands on 05/06/2015 09:21:35
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  12:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Black Letter Day demo (with Frank doing a solo apparently) kicks fucking arse. Big fan of the song anyway but wow.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  21:15:18  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't had a chance to listen to mine really yet. The added/lack of intros and outros is interesting for me. It really shows that these cd's were mastered from the original recordings so the exact editing used on the records is irrelevant. I kinda like that. It's definitely a good boxset though.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  02:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

I haven't had a chance to listen to mine really yet. The added/lack of intros and outros is interesting for me. It really shows that these cd's were mastered from the original recordings so the exact editing used on the records is irrelevant. I kinda like that. It's definitely a good boxset though.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

I don't mind the addition of the count offs and lack of fade outs, it makes it seem like a live show almost. I think on How You Went So Far they changed the fade in.

I do not like where they deleted an intro.. especially on Bullet. Was the intro originally an edit?

Also for anyone who bought the Google Play edition: Is the entire True Blue set messed up for you too? Songs are mislabeled.. Whispering Weeds is actually on there twice.

Edit: looks like the collection has been pulled from Google Play. I don't really care about the messed up tracks I just wanted to listen NOW and not wait for set since Amazon flaked out on me. Already got shipping notification from Target though.

-Marcus

Edited by - marcusb on 05/07/2015 04:12:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000