Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  13:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I flipped a coin. Jose was heads and 1965, tails.

It landed heads, so Jose, it's your lucky day. :)

Shoot me a shipping address to bernerdawg@gmail.com and I'll send it on.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  13:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That offer is damn nice of you bernerdawg.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  14:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew that the odds of this box set meeting my particular wants was slim so decided to just take it as it is and not waste time being disappointed. While I wasn't interested in the alphabetical order, I am still curious to hear the songs presented like that as well as the unreleased material and songs I haven't heard, like Lunghfiejoiwjfowe-shin whatever it's called. And another version of 1826? Yes! It's the closest thing to hearing it live and speaking of, if they do reunite, even if it's only for a single show, I hope they blow the audience away with it.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  15:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has a track list been published?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  17:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the track list, Mac:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frankblackboxset/updates/44653
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  07:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coastline should open disc 2, How You Went So Far, disc 3 and King & Queen of Siam, disc 4. This would be the case if Le Cigar Volante were correctly positioned closing disc 1.

Nerd Up!

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope A. They release more online and B. They release a remastered epic live show or two or three.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  11:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to be in the mix for it. Thanks for offering the poster to all forum members berner and congrats to Jose ...

quote:
Originally posted by bernerdawg

Ok so I flipped a coin. Jose was heads and 1965, tails.

It landed heads, so Jose, it's your lucky day. :)

Shoot me a shipping address to bernerdawg@gmail.com and I'll send it on.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  21:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, very nice of you, b-dawg.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  00:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted on Pledge Music:

“Dog In The Sand”

The chords of this song go all the way back to the Pixies’ Doolittle session. I’ve always liked the chord sequence. The lyric that was added at the Dog in the Sand session referred to the leaving of Earth and emigration to Mars with a dog.

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  05:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, who are you quoting there, Andy?

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  15:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't "Surf Epic" essentially the same song? Why no mention?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  03:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is 'True Blue' what was referred to as 'Red Letter Days' a few years ago?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  10:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

Posted on Pledge Music:

“Dog In The Sand”

The chords of this song go all the way back to the Pixies’ Doolittle session. I’ve always liked the chord sequence. The lyric that was added at the Dog in the Sand session referred to the leaving of Earth and emigration to Mars with a dog.

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"

the secret is finally revealed! every time i hear the song i try to figure it out. awesome.

and THANK YOU, BERNERDAWG!! e-mail has been sent. you're a good man. and thorough.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2014 :  00:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure BF said that the Pixies had been working on a piece of surf music for a while which had grown and grown, so much so that Eric Feldman had helped them keep track of it - I agree that it is strange that Surf Epic is not mentioned specifically though. First time I have heard that it went all the way back to the Doolittle sessions though. Jose, I had tried and failed to figure it out too!

Dean - I thought I might have got some sort of prize for the longest gap betweeen posts. And I often quote myself, it adds polish to my conversation. Festive greetings to you and yours!

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2014 :  00:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's raining posts! here is another update posted on Pledge Music:

“21 Reasons”:
This song was recorded by the band many times. It tries to tell the story of the colonization of California by the Spanish, and their domination over the local populations. The number 21 refers to the number of language groups of the California area of that time.

Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  16:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today Charles posted a cool photo with a FB&C hat
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  00:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another update on Pledge Music, and worth noting that Dean has updated the news section too:

http://www.frankblack.net/news/

“All My Ghosts”
This is from the first Frank Black and the Catholics session. The references in the song are a combination of details from the story of the Nephilim and the story of a very violent bank robbery shootout in North Hollywood. It’s one of my favorite songs to play.

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  08:57:54  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bank robbery. Is that code? Mind sufficiently blown.

Edited by - hammerhands on 01/02/2015 09:00:10
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  13:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember it well:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  04:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was there.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  07:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Canaan?

Also, Andy, I'm glad somebody noticed! :)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  09:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noticed what, Dean?! Happy New Year to you!

The day has finally arrived. We've updated the news on the main page. Oh, and it's official: There will be a Frank Black & The Catholics Boxset! At the time of posting this news, there are approximately 100 of a total 200 limited edition boxsets remaining which come with a signed Charlotte (the coverart, done by FB) print. Moreover, when you pre-order you get access to some other gems including FB comments on various songs and a few exclusive streaming tracks. If you don't know which FB song tells the story of Spanish colonization in California, head on over to Pledge Music's page and get yourself a copy, find out the answer, and then listen to a rocking live version of that song.

Now, for the news...

On March 23rd, 2015 Frank Black And The Catholics release the complete recordings box set on Cooking Vinyl. The 7-CD box features all of the band’s 6 studio albums plus a bonus CD entitled "True Blue" which is filled with songs that, according to Ben Mumphrey, "were recorded with the intention of being demos, to be sent to the Catholics band to learn before they traveled to Los Angeles to record the album Black Letter Days. We recorded in the temporarily empty 'B' room in Sound City Studios in Los Angeles, where many of Mr.Black’s local musician friends came by to help out. In return, exquisite evening buffets were provided for all, which Frank Black himself brought to the studio nightly and spread out. Everyone played, ate, talked, and was merry."

All six formally released albums (self-titled [1998], Pistolero [1999], Dog in the Sand [2001], Black Letter Days [2002], Devil’s Workshop [2002] & Show Me Your Tears [2003]) have been re-mastered from the original live 2-track and 1-track recordings. The release contains well over a hundred songs. True Blue is a disc of “technical demos” that Ben Mumphrey (who engineered all of the mobile recordings) found in his New Orleans recording archive.

The box set will have the songs in alphabetical order as opposed to presented in album format. Frank Black (or as the kids are calling him once again, Black Francis) explains, "[Alphabetizing the songs] feels like an approximation of randomness and it's a way to randomize something, especially if it's [arranged by] titles... We get away from the preciousness of LPs we put out and it's more about the body of work, the good times that we had." See a video of FB talking about the boxset (including artwork) here.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  17:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy new year to you, too! Hope all is well on your side. You taking the family to Canada anytime soon?

Have we got a list of people who have picked up copies? Anybody who definitely will NOT be getting one?

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  08:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another update via Pledge music:

“If It Takes All Night”

This is sort of a road song. I did borrow a chapter from the life of my good friend Eric Drew Feldman and his early traveling days which pre-date my own. He toured with the band many times and recorded with the band many times, so it seemed appropriate to borrow a bit from his story. There are bits from my own story as well, specifically from the Catholics period.

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  08:43:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frankblackboxset/updates/46995 Pledge Music Interview.In case anyone didn't read it during the FB.net collapse? hack?

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  08:46:18  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're back!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  09:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fixed the problem but I'm still not sure what caused it, hopefully nothing malicious.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  07:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well fixed! Another update from Pledge Music, although I am not sure I am any the wiser. I never could understand Tobriand cricket:

“Steak ‘N’ Sabre”
I have no idea what this song is about. It definitely involves other dimensions. The Catholics used to play this song a lot. There is a reference to Trobriander Cricket. Google it.

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  02:17:42  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqobDKuN0qY Classic Headache Live on Jon Stewart.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  03:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's the 2nd guitarist?
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  03:32:37  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

Who's the 2nd guitarist?

Morris Tepper Maybe???

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  03:32:49  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posted yesterday by FB on Rich Gilbert's FB (along with photo of said clavinet):

Hi, Rich. This just came out of deep storage. It's Rich Gilbert's clavinet! Lemme know if you're ready to make a clavinet album. My tambo's gettin' better!
Ch

Edited by - ricj on 01/24/2015 03:33:34
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  03:44:15  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

quote:

Who's the 2nd guitarist?

Morris Tepper Maybe???

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

David Sardy???

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  10:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who's the 2nd guitarist?

Morris Tepper Maybe???

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

David Sardy???

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Is it Mr Ray Neal once of Miracle Legion?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000