Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  09:19:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What in the hell is going on with this? Were those pics of a prototype or a mock-up? I have money I need to burn...

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  20:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I REALLY THOUGHT WE MIGHT SEE A TOTY REUNION/TOUR. EVEN IF JUST A MONTH LONG EPISODE IN SELECT HIGH PROFILE CITIES. BUT ALAS. THE PIXIES HAVE CONSUMED ALL THE MAN'S TIME....OH WOE.

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  12:25:18  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the update - hopefully this gets done (particularly on vinyl!)

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  01:51:38  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKB0AnDghX8 BOOM :-D

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  02:30:29  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frankblackboxset

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  02:51:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If any of you have pledged already write in the tracklisting comments that on Disc #6 they mispelled You're Such a Wire.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  04:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cant expect every last morsel to be on a box Set,
But I would have liked to see (Coming into Los Angeles - Malmo 2001) on there.

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/mun_chien/immagini/Zfrankblack_liveatkb.jpg
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  05:55:21  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoohoo !
Now, I know what I want for christmas !!
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  06:00:22  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Coming into Los Angeles?

Pre-ordered. I wont soon forget.

Edited by - hammerhands on 12/11/2014 06:01:00
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  06:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COMPLETE implies every last morsel. ever. I want every live show ever recorded plus every incarnation of every song. dang it.

no vinyl. boooooo!

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  07:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they never did "Coming Into Los Angeles" in the studio.

Anyway, I think this is cool news. Box set coming out March 2015. I'm there. Will order after the holidays.
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  08:19:38  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is what I have been waiting for. I pre-ordered this morning and I can't wait. The Catholics era is one of his most consistent and prolific. Oh how do I miss those Catholic years. If they tour they should do nothing but Catholics era material.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  09:36:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blizzard 1989! A THIRD Humboldt! Selkie Bride! The Shrimp song! And 2 versions of 1826!! Man I need this so bad.

On the downside, no live songs indeed. And most important: why is there only one version of His Kingly Cave and I'll Be Blue? That's nonsense!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  10:44:03  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am most excited about the versions of Selkie Bride and Western Star. I didn't realize that Selkie Bride was a Catholics song first. That will be great to hear.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  10:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great news!!

However I would like to have seen the cover of Kinks' This Time Tomorrow one there, I thought there was a recording made of that?

Maybe/hopefully there could be some downloads available on the side, for live sessions, etc?

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  01:28:40  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=85693

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  03:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The release date for this collection is provisionally set as being Monday March 16th 2015, but is subject to change.

that's quite far away. more than three months.

what are the pledgemusic "exclusives" going to be, for those who pre-order now?
will they try to keep it alive for three months, with updates and a little download every now and then?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  03:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this could give us an idea what to expect, but i assume it's just standard pledgemusic text:
quote:
Your AccessPass unlocks access to this artist’s:

Videos
Music
Behind the Scenes Photos
Private Updates

we shall see...

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  04:42:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could do without updates about Frank's privates.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  08:05:56  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about a 24bit 192khz .flac download, so I can listen to something other than one Neil Young track on my PONO?
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2014 :  20:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, when you start reading the song list, it is truly impressive as a "body of work". Holy cow. Really looking forward to these unreleased tracks. A "Surf Version" of The Black Rider sounds very interesting.

Edited by - windupbird on 12/13/2014 20:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  07:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Methinks the "surf version" of "Black Rider" is simply just the final track on Black Letter Days.

Edited by - Jason on 12/14/2014 07:32:47
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  10:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be overly optimistic, but the way he spoke the phrase "on cd" during the video -- as if to differentiate this project from other future formats -- leads me to believe a vinyl release may yet happen.

The price of the cd boxset does put perspective on a vinyl issue...which wouldn't be cheap.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  11:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i preorder the box + tshirt, cant wait, the shipping is expected in April of 2015
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  13:44:56  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just realized they only have one version of Le Cigare Volant on the box set, which I assume is the Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day version. I actually prefer the version that was on the Japanese version of Dog in the Sand and on One More Road for the Hit, but I wonder if that is considered a demo?

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  17:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took YEARS and outside help from Pledge Music and Cooking Vinyl to get the CD box set together. I strongly suggest not getting your hopes up too high for a vinyl edition. A more likely scenario: vinyl reissues of the original albums... eventually.

Edited by - Jason on 12/14/2014 18:01:30
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  16:33:09  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On a vinyl release:
Piece for piece (and please correct me if my math is off)
Doolittle 3x vinyl - $35 / 11.60@
FB&Cs 7x CD - $90 / 12.86@

Granted lots of resources went into compiling and remastering the FB&Cs material. Personally I'll have to wallet-vote this and await a vinyl release to justify the price. Also train sets for kids don't come cheap round Christmastime. And that's an easy choice.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Methinks the "surf version" of "Black Rider" is simply just the final track on Black Letter Days."

Oh yeah - you're right, Jason, it must be that one... I didn't think of it as a "Surf version" but it has to be. Oh well. Looking forward to all the other unreleased tracks, then. My mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  18:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

On a vinyl release:
Piece for piece (and please correct me if my math is off)
Doolittle 3x vinyl - $35 / 11.60@
FB&Cs 7x CD - $90 / 12.86@

Granted lots of resources went into compiling and remastering the FB&Cs material. Personally I'll have to wallet-vote this and await a vinyl release to justify the price. Also train sets for kids don't come cheap round Christmastime. And that's an easy choice.

--------
baby poop, curry

On top of the manufacturing costs is also the shipping costs. A vinyl release of the Catholics box set would be at least ten records, a big, fat heavy package that might also require a sturdy case to hold them all (which adds to the manufacturing costs, natch). I don't see it being priced less than $250, with my best guess being $300.

There's one scenario where the Catholics vinyl box set might happen: They do it in an EXTREMELY limited pressing. 100 copies, say. The profit from it would be minor, which means it requires someone on the inside who's simply very passionate about getting this onto vinyl and willing to possibly lose money on it.

Meanwhile, Frank himself seems 100% indifferent to what format his music appears on. Most of his albums aren't even on vinyl.

So, I'd say it's not looking good.

As I said above, the best bet is to see the original albums get reissued. Frank does own them and has his own label, which is interested enough in reissuing his back catalog that they put out Oddballs awhile back. But they work slowly. This, I imagine, is a part-time thing for everyone involved. Fair enough. Meanwhile, the music itself is already out there if you want it.

PS: I'm a vinyl collector, but I honestly don't think I would shell out $300 for a vinyl box set. The $90 CD set though, sure. Just to pay tribute to a band I love and to dig into the packaging. That's just me, though.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2014 :  00:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having similar thoughts on this one. Just got the Doolittle 25 and am loving that. Not sure I can justify buying the box set. I have my favourite FB+C's on vinyl already as it is (albeit no BLD or DW)

Very interested to hear True Blue though, very cool.

Also I love blizzard 1989, was hoping that would get a release.
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2014 :  11:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a long-suffering fan who waited years to see this release finally happen, I want to make a celebratory offer to those on this thread. In 2009 I ordered a signed COR poster from the Bureau. It arrived with a note explaining that, while packing the order, they’d noticed the COR poster had some undisclosed water damage (it was actually very minimal), and to make up for it they added extra items: a poster of the Bluefinger album cover and two duplicate posters of the Catholics’ debut album cover, all of which were signed.

I don’t need the extra debut album poster and I’m not looking to make money from selling it. I like the idea of it going to a fan, and God knows anyone hanging out on page 9 of a multi-year thread about a box set for which most (if not all) of us already have the albums therein -- and probably all sorts of other marginalia acquired from loving this man's music -- can have said poster for free.

I’ll even ship for free, provided the recipient pay the karma forward to somebody, somehow, someday.

I’ll give any takers until Friday, December 19 – just state in the thread if you want it – and if there be lots of posters interested I’ll stir all parties in a bowl and draw out a winning handle. I’ll ship it out the next day, Saturday, December 20.

Over the years, I’ve lurked on this site more than I’ve posted and I’ll just be a goober and say how much I’ve always enjoyed coming here. It’s nice to see a thread active again.
Photos:

Don't know why the photo is upside down.

Edited by - bernerdawg on 12/17/2014 01:11:54
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  00:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bernerdawg: I love that album cover/poster! I would definitely love having it and look after it if there are no other interested parties...

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  08:19:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I had somewhere to show it.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  17:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're awesome, b-dawg, and i'd love that poster.

!!!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  19:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that poster, signed as well from the bureau. alas i plaque mounted it and hung it too near the base board heater and it separated from the backing. :(

it is awesome.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000