New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  17:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoilers from here on out...

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I thought the performances were good and the plot (aside from the pushing of the button...you know that has to happen) fairly unpredictable. I also liked the 'explanation' behind the Box, humanity being tested by some other beings and that either Arlington Steward (or the being possessing him, I think there's some residual human mixed in) wants humanity to pass these tests.

I think they're unfair (what if someone pushes the button because they think the whole thing's a joke?) but it made for an interesting movie. For me.

I hope Richard Kelly is able to find financing for his next film, the Box seems to be bombing out at theatres. And I've seen it decimated in reviews. Even though this is his third movie that involves a portal and I'm now portaled-out, I'm glad he has his own vision, even (as for this movie) when its wedded to another's story.

I know it's popular to bash Shymalan and maybe that's deserved ( I thought THE HAPPENING was terrible) but he, like Kelly, in my opinion, make films with a distinct voice. Even when the film fails, I'm still glad I've watched it. (save for THE HAPPENING).

I didn't care for SOUTHLAND TALES but I admired the ambition behind it. And of course, bringing this back to Monsieur Black, I loved the usage of Surf Wave in SOUTHLAND.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  17:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the spoiler alert Arm, skipped your review... its been getting middling reviews, but I'd like to see it. Isn't it based on an old Twilight Zone episode?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's based on a Richard Matheson short story that was adapted into a Twilight Zone ep, which I don't think I ever saw. I don't know if Mr. Matheson wrote the script or not for the episode.

No prob about the Spoiler warning. Spoiler warnings are good.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  18:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like box
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  05:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like putting things in boxes.

Jeez...
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  09:29:01  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thing I love about boxes is...you can put your weed in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000