Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  04:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these posts about Frank Black-o-Rama are in the wrong place!
they *are* worth a topic.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  07:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's stuff on both those initial solo albums that wouldn't fit the Pixies mould. It wasn't like the more recent 'no Kim' nonsense, it was very much 'this is a very different, less extreme thing' and there was an awful lot of 'this isn't as good as Pixies' at the time, especially after that Reading show which was the first major solo gig I can remember. I loved that gig but do remember people muttering about it afterwards. That didn't happen when Trompe came out, it was more like 'Oh good, more Pixies'.

I love reading accounts from way back like this. I've don't think I've never read anyone talk about the Reading set. That's very interesting to me. I WISH that I had memories like that to share. My accounts of seeing Frank Black live don't start until 1996!

And thank you, Discoking. Maybe I'll start a new topic for these articles with the next one. Probably on the main Frank Black forum here, since FRANK BLACK is where we're going next...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  07:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:

There's stuff on both those initial solo albums that wouldn't fit the Pixies mould. It wasn't like the more recent 'no Kim' nonsense, it was very much 'this is a very different, less extreme thing' and there was an awful lot of 'this isn't as good as Pixies' at the time, especially after that Reading show which was the first major solo gig I can remember. I loved that gig but do remember people muttering about it afterwards. That didn't happen when Trompe came out, it was more like 'Oh good, more Pixies'.

I love reading accounts from way back like this. I've don't think I've never read anyone talk about the Reading set. That's very interesting to me. I WISH that I had memories like that to share. My accounts of seeing Frank Black live don't start until 1996!

And thank you, Discoking. Maybe I'll start a new topic for these articles with the next one. Probably on the main Frank Black forum here, since FRANK BLACK is where we're going next...

Yes Jason, I encourage you to start a new topic and link all your posts. These are great!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  07:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Well, you can count me amongst the those never noticed the tablas until they were pointed out but I've always thought it was a logical progression from Bossa - there's nothing stylistically out of place whilst FB and TOTY are sonically very different to my ears even if some of the lyrical themes continue.

There's stuff on both those initial solo albums that wouldn't fit the Pixies mould. It wasn't like the more recent 'no Kim' nonsense, it was very much 'this is a very different, less extreme thing' and there was an awful lot of 'this isn't as good as Pixies' at the time, especially after that Reading show which was the first major solo gig I can remember. I loved that gig but do remember people muttering about it afterwards. That didn't happen when Trompe came out, it was more like 'Oh good, more Pixies'. Even leaving aside Kim's input, there's tons of Dave and Joey business all over the album that is 100% pure Pixies.

Trompe being the first solo album idea seems to be a much more recent conceit, very hindsight-driven and specific to this parish ;)

This debate never gets old for me. We should submit peer reviewed journal articles on this.

I hear your points and they are good points. As I recall, most of my friends thought TLM was good when it came out, like they did with Bossanova, but by and large everybody kept obsessing over SR and Doolittle. TLM continued the movement away from the earlier Pixies sound while still being Pixies. The solo albums, while not literally being the work of one person, continued that departure, under a new label but with some of the same partners (Joey, EDF, etc). If the fax wasn't sent in 1993 and Charles, Joey, Kim and Dave had produced a sixth album, we could assume it would have Los Angeles, Brackish Boy and other Solo tracks on it. From a time / space standpoint, Solo albums are closer to the emergence of the 1.0 sound, a year or two removed as opposed to twenty plus years away. If you could go back in time and remove TLM from the 1.0 canon and replace it with IC, would we think of IC as pure 1.0?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  10:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Ready For Love has an official video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qkUKAbdsNY
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  18:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading thru the YouTube comments on the demos for the first time. I'm happy that everyone's happy with these songs. Hope the band glance at the YT comments sometime, I bet they'd warm their hearts.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  14:52:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since faceapping gender swapping is all the rage these days I thought I'd knock up a quick one for the Pixies. What the Pixies might have looked like if they'd all been chicks. I think Joey looks kinda cute?

Edited by - pot on 06/18/2020 14:54:41
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  17:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave looks very high-maintenance..
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  02:54:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Dave looks very high-maintenance..

Defo had the painters in when that photo was taken for sure..
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  10:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first heard them that's what I often thought Black Francis looked like. Was surprised to find out the lead singer was not also a Mrs.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  13:26:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There really ought to be an actual Pixies tribute band featuring 4 females called the Pixie Chicks
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  06:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Joey's confirmed the new album and says it's their current priority (and demos were recorded in February), what does everyone hope to see and when do you predict it will release?

Personally, I'm open to anything -- BTE scratched my Pixies itch and so I would be OK with some risk-taking and forgiving if it's hit or miss. The only thing I will not forgive is another album that sounds like Head Carrier (omg) because I struggle to relisten to those songs, despite some good songwriting. I expect a summer 2021 release.

Edited by - tamefan on 08/14/2020 06:47:59
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  08:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Now that Joey's confirmed the new album and says it's their current priority (and demos were recorded in February), what does everyone hope to see and when do you predict it will release?

Personally, I'm open to anything -- BTE scratched my Pixies itch and so I would be OK with some risk-taking and forgiving if it's hit or miss. The only thing I will not forgive is another album that sounds like Head Carrier (omg) because I struggle to relisten to those songs, despite some good songwriting. I expect a summer 2021 release.

O my little cloud
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  13:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now that Joey's confirmed the new album and says it's their current priority (and demos were recorded in February), what does everyone hope to see and when do you predict it will release.

When did this little nugget drop?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  13:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah OK I saw it on the other thread, Great news.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  20:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the pandemic has inspired Charles! I bet it has!!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  06:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz working on new Pixies video...Los Surfers Muertos? Or something new?

https://instagram.com/stories/pazlenchantin/2394224509159999799?igshid=saubdrvts35k

Edited by - Stevio10 on 09/09/2020 06:41:29
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  22:05:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Paz working on new Pixies video...Los Surfers Muertos? Or something new?

https://instagram.com/stories/pazlenchantin/2394224509159999799?igshid=saubdrvts35k

It's gonna be
Hear Me Out

BTE-outtake

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  12:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice cover of All My Ghosts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHszNjk9M4
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  05:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a Mexican YouTuber/musician who has made reaction videos to his first listens of Pixies albums. They're a lot of fun to watch and I recommend you guys check them out and relive the music vicariously through him.

Here's his Come on Pilgrim video, which is the first he reviewed. He's really amused by the spanish lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvKzKDgSZYM
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  09:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a Mexican YouTuber/musician who has made reaction videos to his first listens of Pixies albums. They're a lot of fun to watch and I recommend you guys check them out and relive the music vicariously through him.

Here's his Come on Pilgrim video, which is the first he reviewed. He's really amused by the spanish lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvKzKDgSZYM

Thanks for sharing tamefan, that was very cool indeed. I love watching these. I saw one of a youngster reacted to the Beastie Boys for the first time, that was cool, and one of a guitar teacher reacting to Ween for the first time. Also cool. Looking forward to more.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  10:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew Olympus Mmons was big but I didn't appreciate just how big.

https://twitter.com/FunFactsEverday/status/1341547296740179968

Very tenuous Pixies link I know. I just hope Frank has been writing a whole bunch of new songs during lockdown.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  14:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies posted an endorsement of this album of piano Pixies covers on their Facebook page the other day:

https://kindt.ffm.to/pixies.ofp?fbclid=IwAR3cTMpzrmZuBMqvW0KT9iRZdFLALEIpNZrVadPH3KQsWC6iqc6g5EFPcBU

Some of them are pretty good.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  15:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

The Pixies posted an endorsement of this album of piano Pixies covers on their Facebook page the other day:

https://kindt.ffm.to/pixies.ofp?fbclid=IwAR3cTMpzrmZuBMqvW0KT9iRZdFLALEIpNZrVadPH3KQsWC6iqc6g5EFPcBU

Some of them are pretty good.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.

I was thinking before I clicked on the link that Catfish Kate would work well - glad to see they did it! (the only Pixies 2.0 song on the list)
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2021 :  01:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure I ever saw this interview back in the day. Reckon the Pixies manager has been lurking around this forum once or twice.

https://celebrityaccess.com/2020/06/01/why-the-pixies-podcasted-their-album/
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2021 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Not sure I ever saw this interview back in the day. Reckon the Pixies manager has been lurking around this forum once or twice.

Great read.

The podcast was amazing. BTE is a career highlight for me and that's because I'm in Woodstock with the band when I hear that record.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  00:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Great read.

The podcast was amazing. BTE is a career highlight for me and that's because I'm in Woodstock with the band when I hear that record.

Absolutely. Genuinely enlightening and heartening to hear the band refining the songs. Plus the record itself really does stand up to repeated listening. Some of my favourite FB songs there.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  10:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave Grohl's 10 favourite albums. Probably not a surprise to see Pixies there but nice added bonus seeing FB in there too.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/dave-grohl-ten-favourite-albums-of-all-time/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  07:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First FBF song that came on my tunes today was "End of Miles"

I'm not sure I ever really appreciated what an honest, harrowing, melancholy and yet hopeful song that is.

Bravo Frank, this is such good stuff
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2022 :  15:28:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought a cactus today
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2022 :  12:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Dalgety at Mohawk Trail Massachusetts. Paz posted with similar surroundings. Cool place to make a record if that's what is happening. Sonic Titan recording studio close by...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZFvKn9sVTR/?utm_medium=copy_link
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2022 :  04:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2022 :  11:24:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!

Wtf
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2022 :  08:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across this old article about Kim Deal.

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/kim-deal-breeders-pixies-last-splash-cannonball-1993-interview/13370482

Maybe this was posted back in the day but if it has I'd forgotten about it.

Edited by - Sprite on 05/01/2022 08:46:46
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  13:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never see this before, Tanya Donnelly covering Here Comes your Man. It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenuD1riLmA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000