Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2022 :  06:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just fell in love with that particular rendition of that particular song by The Gun Club. At first sight I found that Jeffrey Lee Pierce looked like an utterly stoned Frank Black with a silly wig, who would have eaten Jim Morrisson up... The bass player (Patricia Morrisson) looked almost as sexy as Kim Deal if she would have been a drag queen. But the song is a killer one despite Jeffrey being perfectly out of tune. I play it constantly for a week now. Now I know the lie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_i7i-ISFLE

++++
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  01:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the Gun Club. This one's is stuck in my head again

https://youtu.be/7Q6Je7uIB4M
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  06:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blur Strange News from Another Star
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  00:33:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Fistful Of Guns: Anthology of LA Guns 1985 - 2012

Always liked a couple of their tracks back in the day - One More Reason (and the video) just epitomises the decadence of glam metal from that era so well. Never bothered listening to any of their albums though when I was young spotty thrash metal head, which is a shame because this collection of their best tracks totally kicks ass - such a great raw guitar sound. I'd defintely rate LA Guns as a better band than Guns n Roses, Motely Crue etc. They just seem to have a little bit more of a punk edge

Couldn't have picked a better album yesterday to stick in my ears yesterday with this scorchio weather and a wee dabbie doo of the old Stardawg

Edited by - pot on 08/12/2022 00:51:10
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2022 :  15:58:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a dee yee think about Glasvegas?

Just re-listening to Geraldine - that's the only song I can remember really I listened to the album and I think I thought they were alright but I just never listened to them after that and they disappeared. They're played my home town in 2 weeks - with The Bluebells supporting and it's really cool that these bands are coming and playing the place where I grew up but it's not an amazing line up really

https://www.crawickmultiverse.co.uk/our-events/music-at-the-multiverse-2022/

I'm re-liking their Scottish indie sound - they way the song comes in is quite powerful and edgy - I could see me getting into it at one of their gigs? But also potentially underwhelmed overall..

Should I (re-)listen to some of their back catalogue or go in blank canvas?

Just checking out some of Glasvegas' more recent releases - oh dear..

Mediocre Glaswegian one-hit wonder bands

Edited by - pot on 08/20/2022 16:19:09
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2022 :  23:13:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Space

A band from the late 90's brit pop era that I never really paid any attention to - found them a a bit weird especially the guy

The Ballad Of Tome Jones (feat Cerys Mathews) came up on a stream the other day though, completely forgot about that one. What a weird song? Very good though and some nice vocals from Cerys Mathews who sounds like she's been out on the lash the night before recording so her voice is a bit croaky in it.

In retrospect I'm quite enjoying listening to some of their early albums though - I think there's some good songwriting in there. They were better than some of the other britpop bands going around at that time most of which I just found really dull

They're quite experimental and the comedy element is interesting too - normally I find comedy can distract from the music so I can't take it seriously but time has added some new dimensions for me. Not sure if I picked up on this at the time but some of the vocals are definitely inspired by Vic Reeves - especially the line in the song "the female of the species is more deadly than the male"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  07:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Bowery last night to see a band I never heard of, La Luz. Really enjoyed their thing. Anybody else know them?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  10:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in a music black hole. Can't get into anything new and tired of all the old stuff I listen to all the time.

I recently listened to 69 Love Songs for the 10,000th time while on a plane (unintended perfectly timed "but now I dream in country songs and wake in New York City" as the plane entered NYC) and it was wonderful. But you know.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  12:50:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey. Why not check out this dark and weird as shit minimal techno cyperpunk track with this terrifying, distorted computerised voice - I feel like an actual being from a dark mirror universe is attempting to communicate with me telepathically or something - weird as fuck

Charlotte de Witte - Control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptx3FLCnRig
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  13:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first 33 have some good suggestions too but maybe they’ve all be tried
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  13:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never got into Glasvegas, I remember when they were kind of big and on local radio. The lead singer was on buzzcocks with his shades on and got the p ripped out of him.

I tend not to listen to 'new' music - if it's good enough I'll eventually get round to it. For that reason I've not been into Scottish indie the likes of Twilight Sad, Frightened Rabbit etc. Familiar with Arab Strap, Belle and Sebastian and love Teenage Fanclub. BMX Bandits are fun if a bit hokey. Just finally getting round to checking out Orange Juice properly.

I remember Space - saw them performing Dark skies on GMTV back in the day, I think that was the begining of the end of britpop. They were decent but like a lot of bands of the time they were there by association.

Relistening to Mercury Rev's Deserters Songs - one of my favourite albums. Flaming Lips get all the praise but this album beats them all.

Also listening to Polaris - music from the adventures of Pete and Pete. The theme tune guitar part sounds like a slowed down Debaser.

https://youtu.be/qkGtGt1L6iU

Also enjoying the Go Betweens and The Bats at the moment. Lot of good Aussie and New Zealand bands from 80s era.

Also had a dream Dave Lovering was lead singer of Pixies (and FB was in full Fu Manchu outfit?) doing B52 covers! Rock Lobster was awesome done Pixies style.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  13:57:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I don't know if I could stand through a whole Glasvegas set really - the guy does seem like a bit of a fanny. I listened to their first album again and it's total gash.

£50 for a two day festival and the 4 main bands are The Bluebells, Glasvegas, Red Hot Chilli Pipers and Bay City Rollers - I mean could they have picked a worse line up? Maybe some of the other bands will be good, but for a gig where you get chucked out before it even gets dark is a bit miserable.

Edited by - pot on 08/27/2022 13:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  21:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that the last time I went to bowery ballroom was in 2013 when I saw this setlist:

Big New Prinz
Head On
Crackity Jones
Something Against You
Distance Equals Rate Times Time
What Goes Boom
Indie Cindy
U-Mass
Broken Face
Tame
Isla de Encanta
Subbacultcha
Wave of Mutilation
Bagboy
Blue Eyed Hexe
Planet of Sound
Caribou
Cactus
Nimrod's Son
Hey
I've Been Tired
The Holiday Song
Vamos
Where Is My Mind?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2022 :  02:13:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Hey. Why not check out this dark and weird as shit minimal techno cyperpunk track with this terrifying, distorted computerised voice - I feel like an actual being from a dark mirror universe is attempting to communicate with me telepathically or something - weird as fuck

Charlotte de Witte - Control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptx3FLCnRig

I was just listening to this track again and thinking: What if beings from other dimensions are actually trying to communicate with us through this music, or WHAT IF they already are and we don't realise it yet? Maybe they've possessed the minds of these DJs and producer making this music and are producing music through them which is actually what their language sounds like and they are trying to tell us something?

Completely bonkers idea and prefect for a Sunday Morning wake n back session.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2022 :  02:31:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Knife have been releasing some new music recently I just saw - how could I miss that? Nothing really grabbed me so far from the new stuff but I decided to go back to the Shaken Up Version album of remixes from 2014 - I thought it was pretty good at the time (better than their previous album before that anyway - that opera stuff - bit boring) - but anyway I'm rediscovering this album and it's got some great tracks on it that are really up there with the best of the The Knife: nice remix of Pass this On and Ready To Lose has a really nice tribal/shamanic feel to it like the Fever Ray album (first self titled album)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2022 :  18:07:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just saw the Bay City Rollers play my home town woo and you know what? They fucking rocked it! Would have been nice if the red hot chili pipers hadn't demanded the headline slot I don't know what happened but they're a bunch of posers who are not welcome here again. But the Rollers - albeit pretty much a tribute band these days - The front man was good he got the crowd going

https://youtu.be/kpSRpeZ2r-w

Edited by - pot on 09/05/2022 05:44:38
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  08:05:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Talking about Van Halen.. new Megadeth album is quite good! Last two tracks are real rock n rollers - with a heavy rock edge - Police Truck and This Planet's On Fire (feat Sammy Hagar - vocals work well with Mustaine I think) rest of the album is more technical Megadeth but still some good songwriting and willingness to be experimental within the genre. Can't believe they're still churning out Megadeth albums - not far off 40 years now
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  10:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really into Bruce Hornsby lately.

Didn't even know Van Halen covered the Kinks till this new Frank song came out.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  10:49:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Really into Bruce Hornsby lately.

Didn't even know Van Halen covered the Kinks till this new Frank song came out.

Me neither or I suppressed the memory of this song from my Beavis and Butthead years

Edited by - pot on 09/07/2022 10:50:08
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2022 :  09:45:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Queen Is Dead
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2022 :  00:49:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some good songwriting on the new Megadeth album - it’s a really solid album and I’d say maybe their best since So Far, So Good (controversial)

As well as the usual complex stuff you expect from Mustaine there are few really great heavy rock/more metal numbers on there. I could even see them potentially getting their first number one in the UK with (say) Mission To Mars? (If such a thing meant anything these days)

When you get into the bones of the song around 1m in: listen to this track and tell me if you can also (like me) totally imagine Frank banging a rocking number out like this hypothetically on some of the early solo albums or the Bluefinger era?

https://youtu.be/obrcmwWsNTY

Edited by - pot on 09/11/2022 03:17:57
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2022 :  00:41:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yee haw I found a new Stoneman Family clip - bit more recent than some I’ve watched. Not sure when it dates from probably circa the 70’s - it’s in colour and one of them’s turned into a big old bear

If it’s not your scene please forward to the end around 15m40s where the crowd starts dancing - some kind of mixture of line dancing and Irish dancing (although not in a line) - almost identical to the kind of dancing you’d see around the start of the 90’s during the rave scene it’s most amusing

https://youtu.be/VniX-ANWHS0
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2022 :  12:08:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry anyone?

Just checking out some of their YouTubes quite Pixieish in both music and style and video - who isn't these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOT5Ix8VOY

Early Wet Leg or something - catchy indie pop with clever lo-fi video
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2022 :  18:18:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cate le Bon is back as well!

She seemed to go a bit dull but this new video is quite something - very good song and the pop art video is also

#teamcatelebonforever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJ4NVu_4GM
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  08:47:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dry Cleaning are turning out to be quite an influential band these days, and they've only been going a few years. Heard a new song from Ideal Host (The Conflict) new band led by Slowcoaches punk girl Heather yesterday on 6 Music - great vocals and very Pixies-esque sound and just then this new band called PVA - both got the same kind of idle female talky vocals but PVA seem more electronica than lo-fi indie

I suppose credit to Kim Gordon for it all originally, unless there was another one before her?

And as I'm looking these songs up I find Drahla have new material out as well - more weirdness - October must be Indie Xmas month or something

Ideal host
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUnGWHYGgro
PVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFmQc-57g0
Drahla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavmvYjVerA
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2022 :  02:47:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Slowcoaches are one of the best punk bands ever I think - great energy and vocals from the punk girl
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2022 :  05:33:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is Indie Album Xmas Month after all - SORRY just dropped their 2nd album (ANYWHERE BUT HERE) and it's really good! Maybe better than their first? Kicks off with a real belter of a tune and they keep flowing..

Poor kids, they just dropped their 1st album in early 2020 to critical acclaim, and then the fake pandemic hit!

They're back now and should be able to tour this time (pending any further hysteria over covid/money pox/climate change/nuclear armageddon)

I might grab some tickets for them if they play anywhere nearby - Ah but they're doing the whole skipping Edinburgh thig oh well

Edited by - pot on 10/07/2022 07:19:23
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2022 :  12:27:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How could I have missed this single release back in July? So uplifting - right wee banger of an indie pop choon - I'm killing it with over-replays right now

These two are going to be huge I predict (Sorry)

Not only a great peice of songwriting but the production on it is perfection - including the distant echoey backing voices/vocals running throughout

I reckon this album will bag them a Mercury nom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNaBYq1-Tqs

Edited by - pot on 10/07/2022 12:31:19
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2022 :  05:05:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't wait for the new Fazerdaze album - couple of great new tunes out from them so far - managed to catch the last 5 mins of her playing Sneaky's in Edin in 2006 but too busy talking to the guy from Big Deal while ordering a pint

It's like a load of bands were holding off releasing their new stuff until the lockdown nonsense eased up (or fucked off depending on how you want to look at it) hearing loads of great new stuff and there's this and I think a new album from Drahla coming?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2022 :  06:27:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never heard of Winston Surfshirt before but their new album Panna Cotta is chilled as fuck! Some Ozzie funk/hip hop band - all very laid back stuff with plenty of soul - I have no doubt this one will be getting a few spins before I delve into their back catalogue
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2022 :  15:26:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Bowie album (Divide Symmetry) is really good - I'm not a massive fan but I'm really digging CD1 which is all early demos - recognise a few songs but a lot of it's new stuff for me and I really like the rawness of it, I think I prefer it to the produced Bowie sound of his time actually, got more soul - four CDs all looks like old rarities got John Peel on there inroducing some of the recordings

There's one or two tracks on there featuring other artists - this one called Andy Warhol (song title) is performed by someone called Dana Gillespie, who is an actress as well as singer songwriter I just looked up. This version on the album on CD2 is a fairly well-known song of hers which was released a few years after this recording which is year fuck knows because it doesn't say - I'd say late 60's early 70's probably. Anyway the guitars remind me a lot of Joey's style - and in fact the start of the song is straight out of some track off Bossa or something

Deezer it up - it's track 24 and 31 (get two recordings of this performance from different places)

I can't find any other version like this on Youtube - only the produced version so this Pixies-esque style I'm picking up is limited to this rare early demo on the new Bowie album - defintely prefer that version also (as is the case with all these Bowie demoes as well)

Edited by - pot on 12/02/2022 10:23:01
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2023 :  00:55:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First new release of the year goes to Belle & Sebastian - who are back with another new album! Quite impressive that they still manage to churn out the happy tunes - and their new female replacement vocalist for "Belle" has lovely dulcet tones. The usual funky, twisty, folky vibes with a little bit of flower power. I tend to listen to their albums a few times and get bored but it's definitely worth it each time. I think Scotland should declare independence from the warmongering central of the world and enter the Eurovision this year with one of these songs and beat Ukraine!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2023 :  12:22:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hotel Lux debut album out today - nice bit of lo-fi indie with a slight brit pop edge - you can hear the Art Brut/Eddie Argos influence in all of their songs. Album of the year so far - wouldn't mind bagging some tickets to see them live on their current tour
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2023 :  13:44:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hands Across The Creek - an album that will be remembered

Not a long album but plenty of variety - from lo-fi punk to acoustic folk balladry to weird funky synth machines and lots of vocal artistry from the lead vocalist - the art of making bad vocals sound really good and some top song writing - I think there is something special about this band you should give them a listen

Planet Lux
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2023 :  11:45:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just discovered Colleen Green - listening to her latest album Cool - she's really cool I like her style. Could easily be a Breeders album I'm listening to. I love indie rock chicks with strong American accents

Some of the songs feel like they could go on for longer though and fade out too quickly? Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsJ0DSS9Fc

Terry are back with a new tune Gold Duck as well and it's the usual stuff you'd expect from them - new album incoming which I am probably going to listen to the shit out of like I've just done with all their
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000