Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  08:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is just depressing to me that Marr wastes his talents in that way though, as a sideman in somebody else's band. But then when he does solo albums, they don't do much for me either. He needs to find HIS Morrissey just like Morrissey found many other Marrs over the years (Boz, Whyte, etc, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2021 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

It is just depressing to me that Marr wastes his talents in that way though, as a sideman in somebody else's band. But then when he does solo albums, they don't do much for me either. He needs to find HIS Morrissey just like Morrissey found many other Marrs over the years (Boz, Whyte, etc, etc.)

“HIS Morrissey” easier to move people to hum than to whistle
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2021 :  21:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What does that mean, dan?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  11:01:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fish & Chips by Average Life Complaint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_2sse5yyE
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Album of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb5Ja6V4OeY

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2021 :  15:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does that mean, dan?

I don’t know
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2021 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am holding on hope that Charles and the Catholics create tunes again
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2021 :  21:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-DZv99Q5k

Wand and Ty Segall

https://youtu.be/zhIU0fF_YRQ

Edited by - darwin on 11/28/2021 21:26:49
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2021 :  17:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s to the
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps2WwRjvQkY
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  11:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeffrey Lee Pierce solo album Wildweed. Missed this when diving into the Gun Club discography. A little more pop than the Gun Club, love the rhythm section of Cleopatra Dreams On

https://youtu.be/i1w1af3VuAI
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  06:07:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Big Thief mini-album - yet again more great stuff from them (ahead of a new full album coming out next year or something, not sure what's going on there)

This 7 song collection here is All Killer No Filler

https://www.deezer.com/en/album/274581742
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  07:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inspired by rewatching Ozark in anticipation of the final season I listened to DJ Shadow's "nobody speak" That is an...interesting song.

Also been listening to The Wassail Song (Here we come a-wassailing). For those in the U.K., is wassailing still a thing?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2021 :  06:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have started my foray into They Might Be Giants per the recommendations of Troubles A Foot.

So far so good. I immediately noticed the energy and the interesting lyrics. I look forward to the journey
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2021 :  11:18:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This new goth band Ash Code just released a sexy new cover version of All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Bauhaus. Original album this is off is one of my all time favourite weird as fuck albums, and this (the original) track is especially haunting - this new version is more energetic and uplifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjv_KI4BTaM

Edited by - pot on 12/23/2021 11:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2021 :  23:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I have started my foray into They Might Be Giants per the recommendations of Troubles A Foot.

So far so good. I immediately noticed the energy and the interesting lyrics. I look forward to the journey

Tell me more...what are some lyrics that jumped out at you? I mean, most of them do, but you know what I mean.

Hope you check out my podcast about them!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2021 :  10:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tell me more...what are some lyrics that jumped out at you? I mean, most of them do, but you know what I mean.

Hope you check out my podcast about them!

Where do I even start? I've only been listening to what I think is the first album (self titled, 1986), and there are so many interesting things going on. I don't want to overstate things, but I totally love this album and have listened to it 3-4 times in the past 48 hours. Will probably listen a couple more times and then check out the second album (I'm annoying like that).

I will definitely check out your podcast in the near future, looking forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2021 :  18:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh awesome. The first album is really special, I mean it's a freakshow but so in your face with so many ideas. The next albums are all even better...the second one is a massive step up.

Ohhhhhhhhhh it's a long, long rope they use to hang you soon, I hope...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2021 :  03:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMBG is a great album, love it, almost ready to move onto the second album, but I’ll be coming back to this one a lot

Scarlet Town by Bob Dylan came on today. Tell me you don’t dig that track. So good.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2021 :  02:21:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just found out Cold Beat had another new album out this year, the follow up to Mother (2020). Once again coming up with the goods, but this time a bit more avant garde maybe? Latest album launches into the first track with this experimental high BPM 8-bit euphoric trance song. Other tracks on the album are reminiscent of Air's 10,000 Hz album and LCD Soundsystem. Hannah Lew, formerly of the band Grass Widow who seem to be more lo-fi college rock than electro pop knows what she's doing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKsJjlFZXU8
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2022 :  16:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite Frank is covers Frank via ep
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGKbeQXBYKk
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2022 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMQdYdcQugU
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2022 :  06:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm onto TMBG Flood. Digging it. Still, their first album is the best thing so far, but I'm only three albums deep. But I keep going back to the first album. The second album definitely not as good in my opinion but still "listenable"
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2022 :  14:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find that take extremely strange, but I'm glad you are enjoying anything by them.

Flood is their most popular album, by an extremely wide margin.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2022 :  06:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe I just didn't devote enough attention to the second album. I'll keep listening.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2022 :  09:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I mean, I can't tell anyone to like anything or whatever, but the general consensus about Lincoln is 1) it's one of their all time best and 2) it improves on everything that the first album set out to do. It's just thematically rich, the songs are more melodic (if that was somehow possible), the arrangements and production more thoughtful and nicer sounding, etc. The first album gets points for being the more grotesque freakshow, an aspect of TMBG I absolutely cherish, but Lincoln is kind of like the mature, complex version of that. Songs like Ana Ng, Cowtown, Purple Toupee, Piece of Dirt, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Mr. Me, They'll Need A Crane, Snowball In Hell, Kiss Me Son of God... oh wait I'm naming EVERY song (and I didn't even name MY favorites)...these are all like the most beloved TMBG songs among fans. Honestly, I think it just sounds a lot better.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2022 :  05:29:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Noo Spoon is OK, nothing amazing. Release of the day for me has to be the new Sharon Van Etten track "Porta" ahead of her new album - hits the spot again with some positive 80's synth rock vibes
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2022 :  03:00:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Beth Hart Led Zep covers album is worth a listen. Often forget just how great some of Led Zep's songs are.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2022 :  13:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went to see Ween live. It was great. Back on the Ween train again, been listening to stuff all week.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2022 :  05:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Went to see Ween live. It was great. Back on the Ween train again, been listening to stuff all week.

Your best move of 2022.

Hard to think of a more enjoyable live experience than seeing these guys live, and my first time was 1992 (quite a different experience but still terrific.)

Glad you got to go, sweet setlist. Any stand out moments for you?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2022 :  12:58:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Sven Vath - Catharsis - nice 90's trance/detroit sound there
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2022 :  14:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, not to be negative, but when we got home we checked the setlists for the previous two nights at that venue (they did three in a row) and we were devastated. My fiance actually started crying. Because at the previous two shows they did all of our favorite songs. We had no idea it would be 100% different songs every night or we would have seen all three shows. So we were kind of upset. All the songs we talked about wanting to hear on the way over in the car were played the previous nights.

That being said, they did play a handful of songs we love, including Stay Forever, What Deaner Was Talking About, Roses Are Free, and Even If You Don't.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  01:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoot dude, I wish I would have told you that they always do
That. No repeats at same stop. Glad you guys had fun though
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  11:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

OK, not to be negative, but when we got home we checked the setlists for the previous two nights at that venue (they did three in a row) and we were devastated. My fiance actually started crying. Because at the previous two shows they did all of our favorite songs. We had no idea it would be 100% different songs every night or we would have seen all three shows. So we were kind of upset. All the songs we talked about wanting to hear on the way over in the car were played the previous nights.

That being said, they did play a handful of songs we love, including Stay Forever, What Deaner Was Talking About, Roses Are Free, and Even If You Don't.

Did you see Brian there? He hit all the shows (assuming you're talking NY)?

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2022 :  18:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still working my way through TMBG, and even though TAF is gonna think I'm crazy I gotta say the second and third albums are nowhere near as good as their debut. I keep going back to their first album and I can't get into the second one at all and haven't been able to get into the third one much either. I'll move on to number four here eventually.

Also, thanks to Bill Goodman I am starting to get into GBV.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000