Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2021 :  12:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Fahey

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2021 :  01:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Jonny Polonsky single, great title! People are Lonely, Horny, Angry and Depressed. Has an Elvis Costello vibe, I like it.

https://youtu.be/oCIoiNOKqbw

Edited by - Stevio10 on 05/31/2021 01:28:04
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2021 :  16:40:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case any hasn't heard the new epic summer song of 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibj87fwRaM
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2021 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enjoying the new Liz Phair album.

I also bought a bunch of random CDs on a road trip I recently took. The big winner is one called The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me. Really great moody sleepy indie rock stuff.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2021 :  14:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been listening to a lot of Carole King. I must be 40.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  11:37:45  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The best of whatever CDs wash up in the charity shops. This week particularly good:

NIN - The Fragile
Joy Division - Closer
The Essential Marlene Dietrich
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Roy Orbison - King of Hearts
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Beck - Mutations

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  11:41:23  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

Been listening to a lot of Carole King. I must be 40.

There was a Best of Fleetwood Mac album in the charity shop which I toyed with getting. 41 yo but thought I'm not ready for that yet.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2021 :  11:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recent Donovan single I am the Shaman. Produced by David Lynch.

https://youtu.be/V5i98tfyGac
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2021 :  18:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wand

https://youtu.be/ZzMudUqKfPA
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2021 :  14:22:37  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is one killer riff opening the Wand song

--

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2021 :  17:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every now and then I'll drift over to the dead, and I gotta tell you, American Beauty is a terrific album. Box of Rain alone is an amazing song, and the live versions with the unusual vocalizations are great too.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2021 :  13:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After 38 years of ignoring the Rolling Stones, I've spent all week listening to albums.

Good band.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  08:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

After 38 years of ignoring the Rolling Stones, I've spent all week listening to albums.

Good band.

I continue to ignore them, but let me know which album of theirs you like the best
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  11:37:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you quantum leap into my body circa 2006/7 you can spend a lovely afternoon one summer listening to the Stones on Dutch radio, or help build the stage on their Bigger Bang tour and then take it down again and see them backstage leaving the stage from about 50 yards. That's about as far as my appreciation of the band goes, otherwise I agree - underwhelming. I honestly thought Keith Richards would have been the first to go - I think he went through half a pack of Lambert & Butler during the gig.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  04:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exile on Main Street, my favourite Rolling Stones album. I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of them but I consider this album to be their best.

It's classic and iconic in the same way as London Calling, After the Goldrush or Pet Sounds.

It's solid start to finish and has a great variety of songs. It's not surprising the Catholics had this on repeat in the tour van during the Dog in the Sand era - I've Seen your Picture is the best non stones stones song I've heard!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  12:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me a long time to get into the Stones as well (more of a Beatles partisan - Cohen, Dylan, Reed, and Lennon are my giants of the 60s) - Sticky Fingers is probably my favourite. Let It Bleed is also great.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2021 :  14:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've really been enjoying them so far. It's weird that I just never had any interest but for some reason it's finally clicking. Basically they are music to feel sexy and cool to, kind of like the characters in a Tarantino movie or something, people you want to be but can't be. Most of the music I like makes me feel unsexy and dorky so it's nice to put something on while driving around that makes me feel like a little bad ass.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2021 :  16:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Exile on Main Street, my favourite Rolling Stones album. I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of them but I consider this album to be their best.

It's classic and iconic in the same way as London Calling, After the Goldrush or Pet Sounds.

It's solid start to finish and has a great variety of songs. It's not surprising the Catholics had this on repeat in the tour van during the Dog in the Sand era - I've Seen your Picture is the best non stones stones song I've heard!

That's interesting about I've Seen Your Picture as a Stones-y Frank song, never thought about that.

I did listen to Garbage Heap this week and it made me think of Sympathy for the Devil.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2021 :  13:57:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pop music

Check out the intro to this one, might sound familiar? - Boring People by L Devine - you should check out some of her other stuff. Top notch production from the church of Lorde, and some decent songs. Who is this girl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6n2GpiqL4

Spent the day rolling with Deezer's contemporary pop suggestions today, and there is some talent out there if you look behind the utter dross that gets all the promotion
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  18:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlZlst4NBVw
digging the best of guided by voices
I’m lazy
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  18:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Self indulgent
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29Lx9OAWduk
More
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  18:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svFOhgt1WSI&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3Dv
Very lazy
really lazy
So lazy
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2021 :  15:08:10  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Deezer is the best streaming channel for recoms. New NTO album - Apnea. Very late 90's progressive minimal trance. Worth a spin if you're into that kind of thing.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2021 :  09:05:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New War On Drugs album is pretty good

Scratch that. This is Album of the year material, and maybe their best album?

Adam Granofsky is clearly very good at writing songs - mint production on this and credit to anyone else in the band who is involved in the song writing process. This is 80' synth rock Americana's finest hour this year.

I listened to this while walking along the side of a busy main road with 10T trucks speeding past me at 70 miles per hour, the sun was shining and it felt good. Positive and uplifting musical moments keep us happy and healthy, so why is the Scottish government attacking my right to go to a gig in Scotland these days?

All killer no filler, takes me back to Big Talk's debut album aka Ronnie Vanuci from The Killers on the guitar and vocals - epic Americana rock with a bit of 80's synth mixed in that seems to have gone under the you must check this out radar for most folk

Edited by - pot on 10/30/2021 14:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2021 :  22:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am listening to the new They Might Be Giants album, Book.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  18:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listened to a bunch of B.B. King today. Good stuff. "Oh when the saints go marching in"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  18:04:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This new Johnny Marr studio recording of How Soon Is Now is as good as The Smiths in their hey dey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8eKQFyRJk
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  18:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's a very dull vocalist, and without Morrissey's vocals, it's karaoke to me...Love the guitars though, of course. I've listened to every Marr solo album and besides one song I quite like, I find them all very boring.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  20:02:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's probably a reason why I've never listened to any solo Marr albums. Morrissey is definetely the better vocalist, but honestly this video came on automatically on YouTube and as I was listening to it I thought it was The Smiths! even after Marr started singing - I thought it was Morrissey.

Some of Morrissey's solo work was very good, but lately? Songs are shite. Band's shite. Repetitive, formulaic humdrum.

Marr's band here are tight as fuck. Marr is obviously reponsible for the guitars in The Smiths and he is clearly the better songwriter. Based on Spiral Cities alone - it's better than anything Morrissey has written since 199?

Morrissey seems to have a massive fan base over the in the states, and he even earned a 3 minute nod in one of the episodes from The Mosquito Coast. A vinyl copy of The Queen Is Dead was produced and There Is A Light Never Goes Out was requested - but apparently (according to the characters in the film) his solo stuff is better. I guess there are people out there who like his solo stuff more than The Smiths, but not many
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Some of Morrissey's solo work was very good, but lately? Songs are shite. Band's shite. Repetitive, formulaic humdrum.

I couldn't disagree more. Dog On A Chain has many incredible songs. Not much has been repetitive, or formulaic (not going to say there hasn't been some), rather, his band and Morrissey seem absolutely determined to make each new album sound totally different than the last, and keep experimenting with new ways to do songs. Dog On A Chain has barely anything in common with Low In High School, which had barely anything in common with World Peace, which sounded absolutely nothing like Years of Refusal, which was a completely different sound and approach from Ringleaders (and etc, etc, etc.)

So genuinely unsure what you're referring to, to be honest.

As for solo being better than The Smiths, much of it is at least equal. Vauxhall is certainly a better album than maybe a few Smiths releases (I like it more than the debut, and Meat Is Murder, at least.)

Marr's solo output has been incredibly uninteresting compared to the work he did in The Smiths. I think Morrissey was his muse.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 11/13/2021 20:27:42
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  20:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought of Arnold Layne today for some reason so I typed it into the music app and listened a few times.

What a great song. I love Syd so much and have since I was a lad.

Odd thing was after the song was over the app randomly suggested that I listen to About a Girl by Nirvana. I'm not sure how that works.

If you haven't listened to Arnold Layne in a while give it a go today I say.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  06:32:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I couldn't disagree more. Dog On A Chain has many incredible songs.

Fair enough. I just listened to Dog On A Chain - it's quite good aye. Better than some of his previous albums lately. Morrissey vs Marr - they're both The Smiths. Haven't really listened to that much solo Marr really though so I shall defer to your authority on the question of who is the better soloist. Wasn't Marr in The Cribs for a while? Suppose you have to factor that in too. I listened to them years ago, but can't really remember. One thing's for sure though Marr is a very good guitarist, whereas Morrissey can't play any instruments. OTOH Morrissey is better at prancing around the stage in a loosely fitting shirt waving a bunch of flowers in the air.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  09:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On that we agree!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2021 :  04:42:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dusky

Bit of house and techno - nice early 90's rave sound or maybe late 90's progressive house - Gus Gus, Underworld etc

Plenty of albums out there to work through, including the new one
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  03:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the subject of Johnny Marr, he was very good on the Modest Mouse album We Were Dead Before the Boat Even Sank. Said he would like to work with them again. Reminds me I need to check out their new album.

Been listening to Steve Wynn (from The Dream Syndicate), the album Sweetness and Light is very good, has a great cover of This Strange Effect (originally written by Dave Davies - also covered for intro to 9 Perfect Strangers though can't remember name of artist).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000