Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  13:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently rediscovered Bright Eyes' "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" (from 2005, the same year as FB's "Honeycomb"). Can't stop listening to it for the last few weeks.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  03:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bounce by brasstronauts
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  18:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new album by The Dead C, Rare Ravers, has been sounding great to my ears lately. If you don't dig noise/sound experimentation along those lines, the new Jessica Pratt and Sharon Van Etten records are both good experiences.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  05:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revisiting the Evan Dando album 'Baby I'm Bored' from 2003. Great album, love the songs with Howe Gelb, Joey Burns and John Conventino of Giant Sand / Calexico fame.

Must be hard being a Lemonheads fan, I see they've just released Varshons 2 - an album of covers - 10 full years after their last release - Varshons, also a cover album!
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  11:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Mould’s new album Sunshine Rock is really great and obviously something that would appeal to any FB fan. The lyrics are really fantastic. And funny that Stevie should mention Calexico, I’ve been listening to them a ton lately (because I’m using their music to soundtrack a D&D game I’m running... yes I’m a nerd).

Plus I’m trying to get into country music because I’m moving to Texas. Anyone got any good country (preferably alt-country, I’m liking that the most) recommendations?

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  12:30:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Plus I’m trying to get into country music because I’m moving to Texas. Anyone got any good country (preferably alt-country, I’m liking that the most) recommendations?

-----------------------

Texas has a good indie/grunge/shoegaze scene I think.

True Widow are from Texas. Not really alt-country, more shoe grunge but I think there's a country music influence that comes through.

Also,

Ringo Deathstarr

Both probably due for new albums soon...

As for alt country I'm sure you'll find loads if you just go there and go to a roadhouse or something.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  13:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Bob Mould’s new album Sunshine Rock is really great and obviously something that would appeal to any FB fan. The lyrics are really fantastic. And funny that Stevie should mention Calexico, I’ve been listening to them a ton lately (because I’m using their music to soundtrack a D&D game I’m running... yes I’m a nerd).

-----------------------

Calexico are great, been listening to them since Hot Rail came out. Before Calexico the 2 main guys were in Giant Sand, check out Chore of Enchantment and Glum, great albums.

As for country, the very best in my opinion is Townes Van Zandt. To Live is to Fly is one of my all time favourite songs, he has a lot of great albums. In turn he mentored Steve Earle who is worth a listen, Copperhead Road is his most well known but I Feel Alright is my favourite of his. Also his son Justin Townes Earle is pretty good too - Harlem River Blues is a great album.

For more alt country check out Uncle Tupelo, after they split Jeff Tweedy went on to form Wilco and the other guy a band called Son Volt. The talented and much travelled Rich Gilbert played on a few Uncle Tupelo tracks.

The Handsome Family are another of my favourites, husband and wife duo - Singing Bones is my favourite album of theirs - though they're best known for doing the intro music to True Detective season 1.

Also worth checking out Green on Red, Chuck Prophet, the Bottle Rockets, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, Whiskeytown and the old 97's to name a few more.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 02/21/2019 13:05:57
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  22:34:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second Giant Sand
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  10:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sports
https://youtu.be/GSOmBae8MGw

right about now
fanatics
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  11:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to What Difference Does It Make by the Smiths for the first time in 30 years. Great song.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  12:37:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Just listened to What Difference Does It Make by the Smiths for the first time in 30 years. Great song.

How is that even possible in this day and age?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  00:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

How is that even possible in this day and age?

I know, odd isn't it?

I bought the Peel Sessions on cassette tape in 89 or 90, didn't know much about the Smiths at the time. Listening to that song the other day brought me right back there.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  17:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/2fdj1AfFVa4
Glasgow
MMMike
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for those alt country recommendations! I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  04:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to disregard the Ryan Adams recommendation going by recent allegations made about him.

But I suppose that's a whole separate debate over whether you can separate art from the artist. It's kind of hypocritical to call for artists to be boycotted for their actions when much of the industry is celebrated for its sex drugs and rock n roll. But some things are less forgivable than others especially if the allegations are to be believed.

Anyway he's always been a bit of a dick in spite of making a few decent albums. What do you guys think on the whole thing? Also Michael Jacksons music being banned by the BBC

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  11:22:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got no time for people who turn their back on people on the basis of (as yet?) unsubstantiated allegations.

Don't know much about Ryan Adams other than if you add an extra letter then you get Bryan Adams, who I'm a big fan off (apart from his latest one) basically all the 80's ones. Sure I saw Ryan Adams on Glasto TV a few years, playing live and I thought his music was OK. Quite commercial, but it had a good country vibe to it.

Don't know about Jacko either. My best guess is he was a schizophrenic, and his wealth allowed him to live as he pleased: so he stuck his head in a bucket of acid, got a pet monkey and went to bed with other people's chidren- that's not normal behaviour. And as a musician I thoguht he was pretty mediocre in my opinion so who cares.

There lived an old man in my town last year, he went to church and looked after his poor old maw. Now his house is boarded up and he lives somewhere else, under police protection because three young girls told the people he asked them into his house for sex, allegations which he denies. I know the family who spawned these tell-tale tits and I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them, and they are also charged with turning up at his door one night with a vigilante mob and filming it and putting it live on facebook. I don't know the story but word on the town is the old guy didn't do anything other than try to be nice to these girls.

New Golden Filter EP is quite good! Listened to that today.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  09:45:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drahla just released a new song from their imminent first full album release. One of the most interesting new indie bands about these days. I'll be moving them to the top of my bands to see live this year list (it's not a very long list sadly)

Love the guitars on this, and the vocals

(song kicks in after a minute or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsdBVsR4qFE

Edited by - pot on 03/14/2019 09:51:13
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  15:19:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Drahla^^

This film The Favourite has really got me into classical music again, something that's not really happened to me since the 90's (when I played classical guitar a bit as well)

But the soundtrack is really rather good. You often to put these things to the back of your mind and not appreciate them with film music. But it's got a really nice early classical music feel to it. I guess anyone who a brainiac will now all the classics.

Tthe harpsichord is such an underrated and underused instrument. I suppose they're expensive and rare these days, but I'm sure we could make more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE6bMxOZpI
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  09:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

The new album by The Dead C, Rare Ravers, has been sounding great to my ears lately. If you don't dig noise/sound experimentation along those lines, the new Jessica Pratt and Sharon Van Etten records are both good experiences.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor

Dude, this thing is crazy. Been listening to it all day. Walk around the city listening to this, it will mellow you out as only noise can.

Great recommendation tartar!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:22:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a general rule anyone who is called Jessica or any of the variations of that are awesome musicians.

Comeback Kid was so overplayed... but Seventeen: that's got a nice Americana vibe to it that strike a cord with the 17 year old 80's kid in me.

New Jesca Hoop album in pipes too, woooooh
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  08:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

As a general rule anyone who is called Jessica or any of the variations of that are awesome musicians.

Comeback Kid was so overplayed... but Seventeen: that's got a nice Americana vibe to it that strike a cord with the 17 year old 80's kid in me.

New Jesca Hoop album in pipes too, woooooh

First name that comes to mind is Jessica Simpson? Or Rabbit.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  08:08:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jessica Lea Mayfield

There's only three I can think off. I don't know anyone called Jessica who isn't a musician.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  16:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dude, this thing is crazy. Been listening to it all day. Walk around the city listening to this, it will mellow you out as only noise can.

Great recommendation tartar!

Glad you like it! They've been going for over 30 years with that sound now. I would recommend checking out their album THE WHITE HOUSE too.

Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  16:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Margaret Glaspy EMOTIONS AND MATH (2016)
U.S. Girls IN A POEM UNLIMITED (2018)
The Glands THE GLANDS (2000)

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  17:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/yC1kzGqx5lU

Fugazi
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  16:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to Ted Lucas, an old Detroit musician, for the first time tonight. His self-titled is some great druggy psych folk from the seventies.

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  19:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Pj

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrDQ3IeUKBcTm8Adr40nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBncGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTcwMARfcgMyBGFjdG4DY2xrBGJjawMyZWZ1YTkxZTlqZ3N1JTI2YiUzRDMlMjZzJTNEcnIEY3NyY3B2aWQDNkRFYUdURXdMakVuUDhwSVhKbkRuaEhmTVRBNExnQUFBQUF1Z1VLMQRmcgN5aHMtZG9tYWluZGV2LXN0X2VtZWEEZnIyA3NhLWdwBGdwcmlkA0paanNodERQUl9LM2tZX2hnNG5pN0EEbXRlc3RpZANudWxsBG5fcnNsdAM2MARuX3N1Z2cDMTAEb3JpZ2luA3ZpZGVvLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDOQRxdWVyeQNyaWQgb2YgbWUEdF9zdG1wAzE1NTQwMTA3MjEEdnRlc3RpZANudWxs?gprid=JZjshtDPR_K3kY_hg4ni7A&pvid=6DEaGTEwLjEnP8pIXJnDnhHfMTA4LgAAAAAugUK1&p=rid+of+me&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&fr=yhs-domaindev-st_emea&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&hspart=domaindev#id=2&vid=97a234cfb9a6f7a3c9b4e983a4f53d75&action=view

so worth a listen

More PJ - this is a goodie as well:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=Awr9NVX5VKBc3lAAUQU0nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNDY3bGRuBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNQ--?p=dress+pj+harvey&vid=d6d215f7fe8f9af705078e186a37e63a&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.ZOOtMy9MvgvVTb25lpaLAAHgFo%26pid%3DApi%26h%3D360%26w%3D480%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DA29BMj3v86w&tit=%3Cb%3EPJ%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EHarvey%3C%2Fb%3E+-+%3Cb%3EDress%3C%2Fb%3E+-+HD+Live+%28V+Festival+2003%29&c=4&h=360&w=480&l=201&sigr=11bik7uvt&sigt=122ttcudd&sigi=12q0srltv&age=1319549307&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-domaindev-st_emea&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&hspart=domaindev&tt=b
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  20:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MORE
https://youtu.be/SXtQSIpHysQ
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  00:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Meat Puppets album is great, I can almost imagine the Catholics sounding like this now if they were around today

https://youtu.be/-gny-gp8J9A
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  13:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably been mentioned before somewhere in this thread, but Ty Segall's new to me. Enjoying his albums Manipulator and Freedom's Goblin.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  13:16:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ve been on a very deep Grateful Dead kick the last couple years. And King Crimson always does it for me. If you’re not sure where to start with the Dead, maybe look for “To Terrapin” live in Hartford May 77. It’s available on most streaming services I believe. Also Cornell from May 77, and anything from Europe ‘72.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  03:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I’ve been on a very deep Grateful Dead kick the last couple years. And King Crimson always does it for me. If you’re not sure where to start with the Dead, maybe look for “To Terrapin” live in Hartford May 77. It’s available on most streaming services I believe. Also Cornell from May 77, and anything from Europe ‘72.

Way back in the 80s I was friends with several heads who always made me mix tapes or gave me bootlegs of shows, some of which they had been to. I thought the music was cool enough, but at the time I was into P Enemy and the B Surfers and the RHC Peppers, so it wasn't necessarily my deal. Years later there are plenty of their tunes that I dig. I'll have to try those two shows you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  12:30:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Way back in the 80s I was friends with several heads who always made me mix tapes or gave me bootlegs of shows, some of which they had been to. I thought the music was cool enough, but at the time I was into P Enemy and the B Surfers and the RHC Peppers, so it wasn't necessarily my deal. Years later there are plenty of their tunes that I dig. I'll have to try those two shows you mentioned.

Yeah man, check it out! They are kind of a weird nut to crack. Not many folks listen to a couple things and get hooked right away. It takes awhile. If you can catch a show for either one of the really good tribute bands (like Dark Star Orchestra) or the Dead & Co (some of the surviving members plus John Mayer... yeah, that John Mayer. I know, I know...) it can help get you in the groove. In any case, those ones I recommended are examples of about as good as they got live, short of being there originally of course.

Actually, a great staring place may be the recent multi part documentary, Long Strange Trip, that is currently streaming on Amazon Prime if you have that. It's an extremely well done doc that will give you an excellent overview.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/08/2019 12:36:23
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  12:33:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And being a Dead fan is kind of a warts-and-all proposition. For all the excellence, there are plenty of examples of trainwreck shows, out of tune guitars or cringeworthy singing here and there depending on how much coke was flowing backstage, etc. It's a rabbit hole. A really rewarding one though.

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  18:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grateful Dead
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLo8AyR9woA
And
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsJrLDHbY

Edited by - danjersey on 04/08/2019 19:23:32
Go to Top of Page