Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm falling hard for the album "The Good, The Bad & The Queen," which he name-dropped in a recent radio interview. He also has been covering "The History Song" the first track on that album) in concert. That's a great song. And the whole album is fantastic. I'd recommend it to anyone on this board.

The weird thing is, as far as I can tell, the band that recorded this album doesn't have a name. It's led by Damon Albarn, and is oe of those "supergroups."

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.

Edited by - coastline on 08/03/2007 21:15:52
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  05:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe the band is called The Good, The Band&The Queen. That's how they are billed at the various summer festivals.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  06:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what, in holland? wouldn't surprise me :)

it's bad

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  02:59:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

what, in holland? wouldn't surprise me :)

it's bad

"Idiot" is just her sig.

yes and in other countries too

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

the mahatma
- FB Fan -

India
2 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  00:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. Greetings from India. I chose the username, 'the mahatma', meaning 'great soul'. A name that could easily apply to Frank Black also. 'the mahatma' was a nickname that Indian poet, artist and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore gave to Gandhi.

Frank obviously has a passion for things Indian; music, philosophy, cooking? Has anyone explored Indian culture because of Frank?

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  00:33:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey mahatma. Does jainism come from India? I'm not sure I've ever heard Frank mentioning Indian food, but I'm pretty sure he likes it (who doesn't?).

BTW, news from your place have been pretty bad these days, hope you and your relatives are OK.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  05:26:20  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's a good point - its not a band but I picked up a book on Jainism because of Jania blues.

ETA -- and I got into Jacques Tati after hearing that song too. I've only seen Mr. Hulots Holiday so far but it was definitely Frank inspired. Though I also heard pre-racism that he was Michael Richards favorite filmmaker which probably was in the mix too.

Edited by - langdonboom on 08/06/2007 05:51:35
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the mahatma

Hello all. Greetings from India. I chose the username, 'the mahatma', meaning 'great soul'. A name that could easily apply to Frank Black also. 'the mahatma' was a nickname that Indian poet, artist and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore gave to Gandhi.

Frank obviously has a passion for things Indian; music, philosophy, cooking? Has anyone explored Indian culture because of Frank?

Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  13:42:05  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm very surprised no one has mentioned:

DAVID THOMAS and TWO PALE BOYS

Their album 18 Monkeys on a Dead Man's Chest is absolutely incredible. One of those 'greatest albums you've never heard of' kind of things. David's got a ton of great lines ("a map only shows that which you already must know") and the music is both heavy and experimental, which is a great combo. I tried some of the other albums after hearing that one, but they're not nearly as good. If you even slightly dig the treated disk off of frankblackfrancis, then you should definitely check out their stuff. Can be found here: http://www.ubuprojex.net/ubutique.html.

1c
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  18:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jonathan richman. lots of good stuff on youtube by him, will hopefully buy something soon. hey jason! can i borrow a couple of bucks from your budget? please? pretty please?

Edited by - moonruler on 08/07/2007 18:26:37
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  04:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of the music I've been turned on to hasn't been from FB or his influences but rather from forum members. The list is huge but it's one of my favourite things about having a community of FB fans.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

the mahatma
- FB Fan -

India
2 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  05:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Hey mahatma. Does jainism come from India? I'm not sure I've ever heard Frank mentioning Indian food, but I'm pretty sure he likes it (who doesn't?).

BTW, news from your place have been pretty bad these days, hope you and your relatives are OK.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

Hi Denis, Jainism originates from ancient India I believe. Thank you for your concern, yes India can be hair-raising at times. But we are all ok. Now I come to think of it I haven't heard a direct reference to Indian cooking in FB's songs but I can imagine him having fun screaming vindaloo. Probably he has visted India, no?
If he has a concert here he will have one million new fans I am sure.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  07:02:35  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ch-ching!

MIKE WATT
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I'm falling hard for the album "The Good, The Bad & The Queen," which he name-dropped in a recent radio interview. He also has been covering "The History Song" the first track on that album) in concert. That's a great song. And the whole album is fantastic. I'd recommend it to anyone on this board.

I've just got this after listening to FB's version of the History Song and feel exactly the same. I think I prefer this version of that song more than FB's live performances of it. The rest of the album is great too.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  07:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

quote:
Originally posted by Otherfellers

Music that I started listening to or listened to again because of some connection to the Pixes or just Frank:

Reid Paley
Polaris
Mose Allison
Mark Mulcahy
Mike Watt
Pere Ubu
Throwing Muses
Modest Mouse
The Martinis
McLusky
PJ Harvey
Human Sexual Response
Blackstone Valley Sinners which led led to
Slim Cessna's Auto Club which in turn led to
Jay Munly

I'm sure there's more but it's hard to recall why I started listening to most of my stuff

"Hey Sandy" is a great song. As is "Summerbaby".

I heard an Art Brut song once. I probably wouldn't have paid as much attention to it if I hadn't heard Frank talk about Art Brut in an interview.

A lot of the music i listen to is because of some FB link, either associated bands or covers. The ones mentioned in this old post (sorry again for bringing dead threads to life...But this one deserves it!) are spot on.

Others i listened to include Arlo Guthrie (the Coming Into Los Angeles cover i heard live was amazing...on a somewhat related turn of events i called my son Arlo), Love and Rockets (the All in my Mind cover got me intrigued), Donovan - even though i was familiar with his music Atlantis led me to seek out more. Doug Sahm (SSMVGD), Elliott Smith, The Fall, Herman Brood, Mission of Burma, Richard Hell, Erik Satie's, The Ventures, Warren Zevon, X to name a few...Anyone else find the same or others?
Go to Top of Page

Gramoul Zlu
- FB Fan -

France
23 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  09:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Gramoul Zlu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The greatest discovery FB ever made possible for me clearly is Del Shannon.

From him I highly recommend the albums "Runaway with Del Shannon" and "One Thousand Six Hundred Sixty One Seconds With Del Shannon".

Great songwriting and arrangements, great sound, amazing voice.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  10:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gramoul Zlu

The greatest discovery FB ever made possible for me clearly is Del Shannon.

From him I highly recommend the albums "Runaway with Del Shannon" and "One Thousand Six Hundred Sixty One Seconds With Del Shannon".

Great songwriting and arrangements, great sound, amazing voice.

Thanks for the tip, love Sister Isabelle and I've heard Runaway of course but will definitely check out more of Del Shannon.
Go to Top of Page

Gramoul Zlu
- FB Fan -

France
23 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  11:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Gramoul Zlu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, some of my favorites are Misery, I Go To Pieces, Over You, Hats Off To Larry, I Wake Up Crying and Little Town Flirt.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  06:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Hymns
The Breeders
Buddy Holly (my dad was a fan but FB got me into him)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  07:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And speaking of Richman, isn't there a more rocking version of South American Folk Song than the one on the studio album?

That's such a savage jam.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000