New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  07:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i was thinking if the pixies would sign to a major record company? i get the feeling that they may be testing the waters. plus honeycomb has been delayed. maybe have a major company promote both albums - assuming the pixies decide to do a new album.

frank's pretty astute, lots of experience with record companies, and am sure could get a pretty good deal- on his terms. i'm not keen on the big record companies but at least would get some good marketing, distribution, and $$$$. i'm sure some people would say that frank would be selling out but i say that's bullshit. musicians have a job like anyone else and deserve to make shitloads of money. i say as long as you stay true to the music. and i don't think anyone would question that frank would ever jeopardize the integrity of his music.

one thing that gets me is that the pixies albums have done fairly well commercially while the independant fb&c's albums have only faired marginally. i love the pixies, but i think his solo albums, and the albums with the catholics are better and much more diverse. i'm thinking one of the main reasons for the discrepency in commercial success is that the pixies had the backing of a major label and got lots of exposure. i run into people who like the pixies and have pixies albums but then i ask what they think of fb and a lot of them respond by saying that they really haven't heard his solo stuff or really given it a chance. exactly!! and that blows me away.

i really like independant record companies and love that they are trying to get diverse quality music out there. but i thinks frank's post pixies work really lacks good marketing and distribution. when i'm in record stores there's usually lots of pixies disks but nothing in the fb section. how can you sell any albums if they're not even on the shelves! fb has a gold mine with all of his solo stuff and fb&c's and i think it would be great for him and the catholics if somehow these albums would get the exposure they deserve!!

my 2 cents. any thoughts.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6030 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  08:05:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of the delayed honeycomb
Jon Tiven did say that there wasn't a record company yet...

however, on a side note, pixies weren't backed by a major label in Europe,
4AD and PIAS aren't really big labels, and they did pretty alright here, some say better than in the US.

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  09:26:19  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Record companies, schmecord companies

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the Pixies
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ditto. Chicken u have to tell me what errol told you damn it!

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a huge misconception regarding the correlation between being on a major label and being more successful as a band.

I am willing to bet that Frank, knowing what he does now about exactly how that industry works, would NEVER sign with anything resembling a major label again.

While it's true that when you're on a major there are more copies of your albums in most stores and they are often replenished quicker, usually that's because those spots are bought and paid for by the labels themselves, which in turn bill those costs back to the band, along with at least half the budget for any music videos, any promotional efforts, and all their tour support.

Even if the Pixies negotiated a CRAZY good deal for themselves with any major these days, they'd still only stand to make about $1.20 per album at the very most (and only AFTER all those puffed-up expenses are recouped), while if they own their master tapes, fund the recording sessions with a small portion of their massive touring and merch income, and either release it themselves on their own imprint or license it to various indies (as Frank has done now for years), they stand to make between $4 and $8 per disc sold, while being saddled with only a fraction of the promotional costs.

At that rate, they'd have to sell as much as six times as many discs just to reap the same rewards.

Furthermore, the Pixies were always a word of mouth band, and still are. The only difference is that the word of mouth now is huge. There's no record label in the world that could do anything for them at all that they couldn't do for themselves with a little cleverly-placed internet rumors, a killer website, and a three-person staff.

Plus, they can do this without ANY interference or feedback whatsoever from corporate suits who don't get what they're all about.

If they want to pursue cutting and releasing a new full-length album or a series of EPs, they're more set right now than just about any other group on the planet.

I'm thrilled for them.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  12:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree chicken with you and Frank. Record companies schmechod companies. I think I've mentioned this a few months ago, but they should start their own record label like Black Flag for the same reasons you cited about the major label profits vs. independent.

This way there is more creative control. The band would also have the choice of getting what they think is the most effective promotional support.

In addition, Frank could sign other bands onto his label-- making it a cool win/win for the music world.

The drawback is it would take more time to set up and release albums that it would an established label. But who cares? The fans will wait

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 09/26/2004 15:47:57
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  15:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice thoughts. totally agree- record companies shmecord companies. great quote. but i'm still a bit miffed how fb&c's haven't faired that well commercially when the pixies are so popular- maybe it will just take another 10 years. and maybe that's not a big issue to frank. it seems like they make money touring but definately work real hard at it. i like that they release through independants cause it seems like they come out with an album every year and no hold ups and editing from record companies.

also with the great buzz the pixies are getting i'm sure fb&c's, the breeders, and the martinis, are all getting positive exposure. i'm sure frank and his team have some great ideas and i'm sure we'll see some nice surprises in the future.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  18:24:31  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With everything the Pixies have done, both pre-break-up, post-break-up and in the reunion, there will be more surprises in store for all of us. I could see many great things happening if they started their own label (I dunno. Rice and Beans Records or something.) which would benefit all the groups involved with the Pixies. Frank has shown little interest in working with any major label, and before they would have been the bitch to any of them. Now the Pixies are holding all the cards. It's amazing, and I'm overjoyed at the possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  20:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse-Lard Records.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  21:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My totally uneducated guess (as a complete outsider, just some yahoo posting to the internet who doesn't know anyone involved and is only observing things from far, far away) about HONEYCOMB's future is that it if it doesn't come out on Spinart, it'll come out on Artemis.

Just because Frank's mentioned Artemis before (attending their post-Grammys party and feeling "appreciated"), he's worked with them via the Pixies track on the Warren Zevon album, and a look at their roster shows a line-up that Franklin Black would probably fit in with pretty well.

But then again, he seems to have a good thing going with Spinart so...

Edited by - Jason on 09/26/2004 21:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Someone
- FB Fan -

94 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  07:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess i am a little sad that fb solo (and catholics) work wasnt more popular but at the same time it made for really god shows. I liked going to small clubs that were basically full with very dedicated fans. its better than fighting your way through crowds of people that are just at a show cause its the cool thing to do (which was my experience at the pixies show i went to).

I will definitely miss the ability to see frank make solo acoustic appearances to crowds of around 100 too.

But c'mon. how greedy can I be. pixies, catholics, solo...small club, huge arena. i am gonna listen to it all. The man's a genius.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  09:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As usual, Peter Radiator spells it out clearly and thoroughly. I agree completely.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  18:08:26  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
According to the MTV interview, FB wants the Pixies to do the new album in his moveable studio. If the band cover the recording costs, they can license any new album to the labels/distributors and negotiate a better royalty rate. They will retain full ownership of the music and publishing.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  18:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting pete (radiator).. i'm always curious how the music industry works, with deals and such.. thanks for the insight

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  06:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your welcome
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page