Fender Mustang
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  13:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a Fender Mustang and I want to install a humbucker into it and I don't know how to line the screws up.
The coil in the bridge position is disgnol and when I put on the humbucker straight only one screw lines up.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks

Scott

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  13:40:07  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this a full size humbucker or a single coil sized one? A single coil sized one should fit well, but a fullsize humbucker will require cutting of the pickguard, as I'm sure you're aware. Generally people put their fullsize humbuckers in a Mustang horizontal to the strings, unlike the original pickups.
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a full-sized humbucker and I know I need to cut the fretboard and route it but I'm still not sure about the screws lining up.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  16:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh when I cut out the pickguard is the humbucker going to be big enough that the old holes will be gone and you just make new ones?

Scott
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  16:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still very confused
Please help
Thanks

Scott
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  00:51:36  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote

You'll need to make new screw holes. You can see the old holes, and the new screw holes for the humbucker if you look closely.

Edited by - misleadtheworld on 09/13/2004 00:53:29
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  15:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot I see the screw holes. I think I'll do that.
Thanks

Scott
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  18:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also wondering what would be the best thing to use to cut the fretboard that makes a really good cut?

Scott
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  00:11:57  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure, I've never tried it myself. Visit these forums www.jag-stang.com/forum and try there. Most of them butcher their Jags and Mustangs there, so I'm sure they'll know!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  13:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

I'm not quite sure, I've never tried it myself. Visit these forums www.jag-stang.com/forum and try there. Most of them butcher their Jags and Mustangs there, so I'm sure they'll know!

haha, kind of harsh but somewhat true. I remember seeing a heavily modified Jag in a pawn shop near my home and though what a shame. The Jags and Jazzmasters really were top of the line instruments when Fender brought them out. In fact they were a step "above" the Strats and Teles. Vintage examples today really are great instruments, quirky but great sounding. I hate to see it when someone who doesn't know what they're doing tried to make a homemade jag stang out of a vintage Jag.

Modifying is pretty cool if it's done right and it doesn't wreck a classic. I modified my old Squier Cheap Strat in the similar to 50 watts. So what's been said so far is right on. Gotta cut the guard after measuring the alignment then put in new holes a size smaller than the actual screws (many people go for the exact size and the screws fall through). The steel tabs on the side should then just screw right in underneath. I put that on my Strat neck slot. I put a P-90 on its bridge, that was a real bear...

->Words are only the tip of the iceberg of my thoughts.<-

Edited by - Sir Mike on 10/05/2004 13:48:13
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  16:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I've got another problem! On the Fender Mustang the bridge is way way out of tune. When I try to tune the bridge when the string is sharp I have to screw the screw all the way back and it still isn't tuned. It needs to go even more back, but i know that not how it sould be. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm not sure. On every string the intonation is off. Thaey are all sharp when I play the 12th fret, and all of them can't go far enough back. Please Help.

As for the wiring problems. I just had it fixed and it works fine now.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your bridge moded or moved in any way? That could be a problem if someone has moved it. If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic you do have to lengthen the string. Is your neck the original scale for the mustang? If everything is proper and stock and you're still having problems have a tech look at it. I can't tell you without seeing it and messing with it a bit outside of these standard fixes. An intonation set up is cheap usually (sometimes as little as 10 bucks). I suggest having a pro look at it if something is fishy about it that you just can't solve.

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
make sure the strings are new when setting it up. dirty, bent ones can fuck it up.
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  12:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bridge is new that's the only thing I can think of. I have a reissue Fender Mustang and I bought a new bridge online.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  12:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing has been changed accept for the bridge. And how do you leghten the strings?

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  14:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it a regular mustang bridge or a different brand? Can you see any difference between the new and old bridges?

"Lengthening" the strings means moving the saddles via their intonation screws away from the neck. If your saddles are flat out maxed away from the neck and it's still too sharp check the two bridges for differences. CIJ Mustang reissues are not perfectly equal to the originals. Check for part differences if you've installed after market bridge.

How high is the action? If the action is too high or the wrong strings installed fretting will actually cause a de facto string bend effect and sharpen the fretted note. Try lowering the action so the strings aren't as high up and the fretting distance is less.

If you can't see anything or don't know what's going on still take it to a tech.

Edited by - Sir Mike on 11/06/2004 14:37:38
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  18:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lowered the action a lot. It was way high up and I wasn't paying atention to that. I didn't even think about the action. It's down to a really perfect action that I like. And I also noticed that the intonation on every string imporved and I pulled the bridge back helped too and I got all the strings tuned. The only thing now the harmonic is flat, but not a lot. The saddles aren't back all the way even, just the low E, it goes back all the way and it is tuned, but I don't know how long it's going to last like that. Right now I'm fine but later on I probably will have to take it in. For right now the 12th fret is tuned, but the harmonic is a little flat. I can live with that. I don't use harmonics much.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  22:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal 2/3 of guitars is fiddling to find the personal best settings. 99% of all guitars aren't intoned perfect anyway mathematically by frequency but are tuned to their players' best listening. Find your best setting and if you can live with it play it as long as it lasts. If issues develope further take it in. Mustang is a cool guitar for sure!

You ever try the Mustang bass too? Another Cultish instrument with a cool sound. Remember the Talking Heads?

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  15:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never tried a Mustang Bass, but I have wondered about them too, because the Mustang guitar sounds great.

I was wondering if you knew about pedals like these.....

I've got a boss distortion and I need a step up. I need a distortion pedal that delievers a large amount of distortion, but you still can hear exactly what you're playing. Should I get a Boss Turbo Distortion or a Pro Co Rat Distortion. And do you think either of these pedals will give me that distortion and sound?

Which one is better in your opinion?
(All of my pedals I'm wanting for live and recorded use)
(and I am going to buy a wah and distortion pedals)

Cry Baby wah or Jimi Hendrix wah?
(I know these are top of the line, but then again, what do you think?)

And I was also wondering what a preamp does?

Thanks

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  08:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a pedal expert by any stretch of the imagination. I do prefer the Cry Baby to the Hendrix, but that's just me. A preamp modifies the signal before output, sometimes quite heavily. Today the popular preamps are often retro tube or modelling tube preamps that seek to replicate a vintage signal before output. My suggestion is to head over to www.fenderforum.com That is one of the best and largest forums for people working with Fender Guitars and who have questions about them or even just general questions about effects. Also try harmony-central.com for reviews on some of the pedals you may hear about. Take these with a grain of salt but look at overall trends.

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  12:46:09  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A large amount of distortion, but you can hear exactly what you're playing, that's what I wanted, I got a Garnet Guillotine. A wee more expensive than the pedals.
Go to Top of Page

50watts
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  16:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I have the intonation problem again. I was thinking if a tune-o-matic bridge will do the trick to fix it. I will just find the right settings then lock the screws. No more problems. Right. Ok.

And I was wondering if anyone knew a good brand, and one that fit the Mustang right. I hsve a Fender Mustang reissue of 1969 made in 1997. It is Daphne Blue with a tortiose pickgaurd. Maybe there is a tune-o-matic bridge that is recomended for Mustang or works right on them. As for the demensions I don't know how to measure them and I'm not sure about the small and large posts.

Scott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000