Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Black_francis_
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  09:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only own three pixies bootlegs, and my favourite is the Subbacultcha one. Apparently - there are a lot of better ones out there so what one is your favourite eh? eh?

MMike
- FB Fan -

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  10:26:41  Show Profile  Visit MMike's Homepage  Click to see MMike's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet. I live in Sweden and we're not really swimming in rare The Pixies cds :p

Edited by - MMike on 07/11/2004 14:59:14
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  10:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a handful,I have to say my favourite is the college radio one that's up on the ftp.Fab.

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  10:49:15  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Dream is over.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  13:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By far: Rough Diamonds
Go to Top of Page

Robert_Eiffel
- FB Fan -

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  16:15:42  Show Profile  Click to see Robert_Eiffel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have to say the college set..

Come ON Pilgrim.....You know he Loves You!!
Go to Top of Page

someguycalledjames
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  18:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
my favourite is the Subbacultcha one.

i agree with Black_francis, a varied setlist & they sound like they're having fun, great drum sound as well
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  01:23:59  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im quite a fan of "Gone to Heaven" cos of the Eric Drew Feldman factor. Keyboards added to a lot of the later songs like Alec Eiffel, Motorway and Cecilia Ann, just sounds really different...the highlight = Gouge Away with the organ added

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day
Go to Top of Page

someguycalledjames
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  04:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man i really want to hear that show, sounds great
Go to Top of Page

begeegs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  06:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got this bootleg of a show in Los Angeles (1991) in which they had a blinding rendition of 'Dancing the Manta Ray', which up until that point was a good B-side. The way Mr. Black had screamed in this tracks moved me as I happened to be in Barcelona at the time (well outskirts) peering over the Med....quite an exhilirating experience...That song made the whole bootleg!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  04:12:14  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think the WERS radio shows are the best ones.
but the best sounding one is the 22/12/91 sow which i believe is the one don is talking about.

but there aren't many quality recordings of the pixies.

but i recently got one from 1991 in NYC that while is a bit quite has an absolutely killer version of all over the world....

still none of them have a scratch on the town and country show....

Join the Cult of Cartman! Respect my Authoritaah!!!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  07:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ja, i have a few one - i also think, subbacultcha is the best one. just because of the mix of the songs. a lot of trompe and bossanova, and also all their earlier classics. i like the end: "thank you. we would like to play a jesus and mary chain song. perhaps you know it. it's called head on." a very good recording also. they go through their super set without any break, no talking to the audience, just pure energy from the music. great.

gone to heaven is also nice - especially the section with crackity jones and d=rxt.

I joined the cult of this mouse / and now I occidentally tic-tac
Go to Top of Page

idiot_sleep
- FB Fan -

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  07:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned the WERS shows. I would agree that both shows, 1/18/1987 and 5/7/87, are some of the best bootlegs around. The sound is great and you get the interviews after the set. A great 1989 show is Orpheum Theatre Minneapolis, MN 9/12/1989. Pixies opened for the Cure at that show and the set is really short, but damn the band never sounded better. Best version of "into the white" that I've heard is on that recording.

The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
- Kramer
Go to Top of Page

ractrader
- FB Fan -

Argentina
18 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  07:20:07  Show Profile  Visit ractrader's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What about Live in Vienna 1989? That one sounds great and the show is amazing...
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  13:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like the Transatlantic bootleg u can find floatin aroudn ebay from time to time..that and bonemachine live, very good sounding recordings on both and very energetic sets and fans.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  14:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three words: GONE TO HEAVEN (a very suitable title)

ˇViva los Católicos y la Pistolaa!
Go to Top of Page

pudmeister
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  10:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TRANSATLANTIC !!!! amazing sound, not exactly a bootleg, definitly from the soundboard.

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
Go to Top of Page

Black_frank
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  11:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um (im gonna get banned 4 this) can any1 send me a live pixies bootleg 1 of them

via e-mail

e-mail address:
cradgr@btinternet.com
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  12:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only own All Over the World... got nothing to compare it to pre reunion wise tho' :) I think it's pretty good. But I think the Disc Lives are better quality.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 08/27/2004 12:51:55
Go to Top of Page

someguycalledjames
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  11:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotta be Gone to Heaven twinned with Subbacultcha, prime swingin' pig boots
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just picked up a copy of 'Rough Diamonds' today. Very, very good. All tracks are alternate studio takes and make for some good listening. A nice change from hearing the regular takes. Excellent quality as well. Highly recommended....

The Cult of Frank : 10,000,000 Points Of View...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  19:19:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
WERS radioshows or the excellent 'Give me Ecstasy'

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

dyperman
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  16:30:36  Show Profile  Click to see dyperman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have just about every show of the european doolittle tour on tape. By far the best show I have heard is from athens greece. It probably isnt technically a bootleg as I think I am probably the only one who has the show. I would be glad to copy it or any of the other shows on that tour (alphabet setlists) I have a real cool tape of them doing 5 songs on television in Germany including a really seriously killer version of Honey Pie by the Beatles

wish I could be as cool as Kim Deal
Go to Top of Page

dyperman
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  16:32:23  Show Profile  Click to see dyperman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and also a really rowdy show in scotland where the fans were so drunk they moshed the stage and moved it. Kim calles them a bunch of "punters"...lol

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I love 'Subbacultcha' and 'Gone to Heaven'. The version of the later I've heard (as mp3s) seems to have altered in pitch; songs are waaay out of their usual keys. Bad tape transfer perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

dyperman
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  17:42:45  Show Profile  Click to see dyperman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no trompe songs on these tapes

Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  09:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dyperman

I have just about every show of the european doolittle tour on tape. By far the best show I have heard is from athens greece. It probably isnt technically a bootleg as I think I am probably the only one who has the show. I would be glad to copy it or any of the other shows on that tour (alphabet setlists) I have a real cool tape of them doing 5 songs on television in Germany including a really seriously killer version of Honey Pie by the Beatles

OH MY GOD!! Any chance of torrenting those gems?
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  15:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Levitated

quote:
Originally posted by dyperman

OH MY GOD!! Any chance of torrenting those gems?

Isn´t there a spanish broadcast from that tour? Or was it a later tour. Anyway, maybe you have the spanish one and could torrent it?

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  17:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all over the world
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  14:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love "Rough Diamonds" and "Gone to Heaven", but the best bootleg IMHO is the "TLM release party", recorded in L.A. on Oct. 30, 1991. Great sound, EDF at the keyboards, and an amazing tracklist: Head On, Subbacultcha, Debaser, Allison, Velouria, The Navajo Know, Motorway to Roswell, Gouge Away, U-Mass, Is She Weird, Bird Dream & Planet of Sound. 5 stars out of 5.

-----
"I want to change the world but it's changing me!"
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  15:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the subbacultcha one a lot too but the horribly titled 'Give Me Ecstasy' has got to be the best because of the bonus Doolittle demos. Those are great!
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  15:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to get off topic but 'Situation Red' (another stupid title) has to be the worst quality-wise.
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  15:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, this post is just to see what happens at the 200 post level. Think I'll get a bumble bee???
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  15:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shit, no bee.
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  16:00:32  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kpplp[kmpoklpkmlp[;'l,['l,;['l,[l,;[ll[l,;[lp[,l[lkmpjn i vhjgk
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  21:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gone to Heaven is my favourite.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page