Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  19:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Albini looks a lot like Bill (Martin Starr) from Freaks and Geeks in that picture, BLT.

I'll add this to the talk about Albini. Cobain was hesitant to work with Albini because he'd heard Albini was a misogonyst. But in the end, Cobain decided he really needed that Surfer Rosa drum sound. He felt it was the closest to the perfect sound he'd ever heard, so he went with Albini.

"There is a new craze in the nation/ it is lamination/ we like to laminate/ we laminate our driver's license/ so cannot be changed"
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  10:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Chicago, we've perfected the indie-rock elitist pose. Albini is like a local hero to this crowd. I like his bands, though the last two Shellac records have been crap. His "misogony" consists of telling crude jokes, but in reality the last girlfriend I saw him with was a mousy girl who worked at a record shop and they liked to wear matching hooded sweatshirts. His opinions, are really just a mixture of elitist posturing and attempts at humor. I also happen to know that he has a nasty microphone collecting habit that has cost him a lot of money.
What I think is interesting is that he and Frank have accidentally converged ideas over the years. Albini has been championing the whole documentary approach to recording bands for some time now and FB&C have totally been pushing their own live recording idea as well. I'd love to hear a FB&C record like Cult of Ray recorded by Albini. It would be a good rock record I think. I guess Title TK will have to do....but it's not loud enough.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  12:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I've been reading "Steve Albini is an asshole" articles and letters for well over 15 years. It goes back to the responses from a few articles he wrote for Forced Exposure back in the '80s. He likes to fuck with people. That's who he is, and that's the brilliance behind the Racer-X EP. That behemoth changed the way I listen to music and I still enjoy it to this day.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  12:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how does the fact that he wore hooded sweatshirts with his girlfriend prove he's not a misogynist?

not that i think he's a misogynist (i don't know)..

die quesadillas von LBF lecken skrotum! hahahahahahahhahahaa!
Go to Top of Page

robotblood
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  22:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i remember him and bob mould going at it back in the mid 90's. albini called mould a fat guy with a bunch of guitars and mould fired back some comment about steve's microphone obsession/collection and it's freudian meaning. having developed a considerble beer gut at the time, i was offended by the skinny bastard's comment and sided with bob. hey wait... maybe he's got a beef with husky types!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  22:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saying things like, "oh, that's just Steve Albini. he just likes to fuck with people" doesn't make his comments less assholeish.

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  23:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That picture is amazing, BLT. Good thing it's in black and white too.

It looks like he is using super mind powers to make the guitar hover.

Just quit a cult / going through withdrawal
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  10:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

saying things like, "oh, that's just Steve Albini. he just likes to fuck with people" doesn't make his comments less assholeish.

But a grain of salt does.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  11:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i take it you're implying that people should take everything said with a grain of salt.. which i generally agree with.

but if someone you've worked with, who produced your record, says nasty, insulting things for no reason other than to seem cool and aloof.. the only conclusion you can come to is that that person is an asshole.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  12:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

"I was doing everything I could to make Nirvana as uncommercial as every other band I've worked with, except the Breeders, because I wanted to fuck Kim Deal."

see that's just something you don't say
kim is a beautiful girl/woman
but you just don't say that

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  13:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...the only conclusion you can come to is that that person is an asshole.

Alright. Here goes...(deep breath)
Steve Albini is an asshole.

Now I'm gonna drop another bomb. I know floop will never accept my opinion on this, however...
Big Black was a better live band than The Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

pudmeister
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  14:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd love to hear a FB&C record like Cult of Ray recorded by Albini

I thought what albini did with PJ Harvey on Rid of Me was absolutly amazing, listen to rob's drumming on Man-size!
Even if you hate Pj Harvey go buy that album you'l be hooked.

Obviously if it wasnt for the pixies that album would never have happend.

quote:
"I was doing everything I could to make Nirvana as uncommercial as every other band I've worked with

That was actually the bands plan after all the yuppies and jocks caught onto Nevermind.
Nirvana had this reputation of being a GnR type band where the live show should sound like the album, I never saw nirvana but have loads of boot videos and those shows are awesome, the sloppier the better.

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
Go to Top of Page

pudmeister
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  14:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was meant to say under my first quote how cool it would have been if albini did COR. But Frank did do a damn good job.

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  17:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

quote:

...the only conclusion you can come to is that that person is an asshole.

Alright. Here goes...(deep breath)
Steve Albini is an asshole.

Now I'm gonna drop another bomb. I know floop will never accept my opinion on this, however...
Big Black was a better live band than The Pixies.

i never saw Big Black. i'm not familiar with their music. but yes, i do sincerely doubt they were better. but hey, THAT is a matter of subjective opinion.

the idea of Steve Albini being an asshole is proven, empirical fact.

(still, i can't believe you'd say that. especially after being blessed enough to attend the secret show)

Edited by - floop on 07/13/2004 18:43:00
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  08:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

(still, i can't believe you'd say that. especially after being blessed enough to attend the secret show)

That was nothing compared with what I went through to see BB.
Go to Top of Page

Bluish Black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  11:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

not that i think he's a misogynist (i don't know)..

I saw a PJ Harvey interview where she was talking about Steve Albini and she said she was still a great friend of his and she says she even used to send him jars of preserves she made, so that he could comment on them. Also he has said Kim Deal has the most amazing voice he has ever recorded. So he likes at least two women. But then again who would not like Kim Deal and Polly Jean Harvey?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  14:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would like it if Polly Jean made me preserves.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? wenn sprechenden LBF's, ja. ja in der tat. heheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  16:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd want her to wear a hairnet over her eyebrows.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage  Reply with Quote
steve albini is a one trick pony.

for proof please see every album he's ever recorded.

edited to add: only a total douchebag could make the pixies and pigface sound alike.

Edited by - Ebb Vicious on 07/14/2004 16:37:03
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  17:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

quote:

I'd want her to wear a hairnet over her eyebrows.

thanks. now every time i eat strawberry jam, or listen to PJ Harvey, i'm going to have an image of gigantic, insect-infested eyebrows pop into my head.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas des LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  19:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question asked to falco (of mclusky recently)

On the new album they continue their work with Steve Albini who recently stated that mclusky were the only British act worth listening to.
“That’s the kind of thing he would say. I think a few years ago he said Fugazi were the only good band in America. He likes saying things which will piss some people off and that’s great. Really the only people who are gonna get annoyed at that are pathologically ten years old. Who cares who someone thinks is the best band in a particular country, it was very sweet that he said that but it doesn’t give me an erection or anything."

About sums this up I'd say.

I May've Joined The Cult Of Frank If I Knew What The Balls Was Going On.

*Adapted By Carolynanna*
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  01:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nicest thing I can say about Steve Albini is that his arguments about MP3 file sharing (http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=268&highlight=#268) are among the very few I've ever read that make sense and aren't annoying.

Beyond that, I can't say I give him much thought.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saying someone is the best band right now is different than insulting someone you've worked with.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  10:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but did he really "insult" anyone?

He only gave an opinion about their music, he didn't say "Frank Black? He was an asshole!".

By saying that they were only an average college band, he emphasizes his own part of the work on Surfer Rosa.

I wouldn't qualify it as being an asshole, I would say it's aggressive marketing.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  11:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does singling out Steve Albini for persecution and character assassination make one an asshole?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  10:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsieur

Yeah, but did he really "insult" anyone?

He only gave an opinion about their music, he didn't say "Frank Black? He was an asshole!".

By saying that they were only an average college band, he emphasizes his own part of the work on Surfer Rosa.

I wouldn't qualify it as being an asshole, I would say it's aggressive marketing.

i guess it depends on what you consider insulting. if you invited a guest to dinner and later they told everyone that your dinner tasted like shit, would you just consider that giving an opinion, or being very rude, and, by extension, tasteless, and, by extension, assholeish?

i just think it's a matter of tact. and yes, if someone is rude and tactless, in all likelihood they also fit into the "a-hole" catagory.

(by the way, his comments were worse than "they were an average college band" but i don't have the source in front of me. )

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

Edited by - floop on 07/22/2004 10:15:31
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  10:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Does singling out Steve Albini for persecution and character assassination make one an asshole?

i'm not sure.

does defending an a-hole make one an a-hole? i don't think so, so, i'd have to say no to your question too.

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time pick a person everyone can agree on. Some ideas...

Adolf Hitler: a-hole?
Jeffrey Dahmer: a-hole?
Mother Teresa: a-hole?
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What prevents someone from saying the dinner tasted like shit is the fact that the guy invited them, cooked a dinner and so on. But I don't think Albini owes anything to the Pixies, or at least he thinks so.

Anyway, who really cares about Albini being an asshole? I am more worried about George Bush being an asshole.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Next time pick a person everyone can agree on. Some ideas...

Adolf Hitler: a-hole?
Jeffrey Dahmer: a-hole?
Mother Teresa: a-hole?

that wouldn't be any fun then. variety is the spice of life.

frankly, thought it may appear otherwise, i don't really care that much. i was just struck by some of the things i read and got the impression that, yes, he seems like an asshole (that's just my opinion) and was curious what other people thought.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsieur

What prevents someone from saying the dinner tasted like shit is the fact that the guy invited them, cooked a dinner and so on. But I don't think Albini owes anything to the Pixies, or at least he thinks so.

i guess you're right. he's still an a-hole though. hehehehe

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  13:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess when you get right down to it, there's a little bit o' a-hole in all of us.

Celebrate the a-hole in you
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  15:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A problem I have often is when I like the music but think the person making the music is a bit of a prat, I like the music, I like shelac, I like big black and I like Rapeman, but the guy is, I think, trying too hard to portray himself as a bit of an dick. My gut feeling is it's just a big act, like the darkness with less spandex

Frank Black ate my Hamster

Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  16:29:24  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyway, who really cares about Albini being an asshole? I am more worried about George Bush being an asshole.

I'm more worried about Steve Albini being George Bush!

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

gauth
- FB Fan -

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  21:17:49  Show Profile  Click to see gauth's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Albini is the bomb. I can't describe that shiver when I hear the first beats on Surfer Rosa...

A-hole? No. If the Pixies had such a success, it is certainly partly because of him! He gave them a recognizable sound.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000