New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  13:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone in the UK know about taxes and customs and stuff like that? I am thinking of buying a guitar on ebay from someone in america but i need more details on the kind of charge i'd get for this. anyone done something similar before?

also, is the charge something i'd have to sort out prior to it being sent, or only when it arrives?

I joined the Cult of Pi / Because it's cool

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  13:14:37  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From that website about the eBay scammer getting scammed, it seems like it will cost you 27% of the value of the item in taxes or customers or whatever. The buyer ships and you have to fill out a customs form with the value of the item when shipping, and then I believe the receiver pays that fee or something. This is just what I deduced from reading...could be off.

Boycott cults and t's
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  15:36:39  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google took me here.

I haven't really read over it. Might not apply.

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  07:14:18  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In Canada we get charged duty as well but it's remedied very easily. Get the seller to check off the gift box on the customs declaration form and mark the value at under $60 and you will not get charged duty. The thing is though you have to get him to agree to it, you can only insure for $60 and I don't know if this would work for the UK.

-----------------------
http://www.broszkowski.com
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  07:44:48  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've imported a few guitars from the states. Twice I've been import taxed, twice I haven't. The times I weren't the guitars went to a different address, where a retired relative lives. That's the only reason I can think of having no import tax.

As El Barto said, import tax will be around 27% of the total value of the item AND the shipping. You'll pay this when the postman brings it to your door.

I wanna go to the moon. I wanna do this duet with Morrissey.....
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  07:49:27  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, what guitar are you after Steve?

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fender american telecaster.

customers in america are willing to sell so much cheaper than in the UK! i'll have to work out if it'll still be cheaper. thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, can i just check. the total value of the item is generally the price i'll have paid for the guitar on ebay, and not it's full new price, yeah?
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's what you've paid for it, including the shipping, not the RRP.

If you pay, say, £100 for the guitar and £15 for the shipping, that's £115. Import tax is generally 5%, so that's £120.75. Then you'll pay 17.5% VAT on top of that, which is £141.88. Just replace the numbers with your own to work out what you'll have to pay in tax.
I can't say it'll be exactly the right amount, but it should be close.

Good choice of guitar! I had a lefty mexican Tele (import from the states). I bought it for less than half what you'd pay for one here.
I sold it recently to get an 80s Contemporary Tele, ala Black Francis.

Also, I don't know if yours will be coming with a hardshell case? I do recommend you try to get one with one, because postal workers don't tend to take much care of packages.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm, that link mentions an added tax percent.

5% from 1 March 2004 to 31 March 2004
6% from 1 April 2004 to 30 April 2004
7% from 1 May 2004 to 31 May 2004
8% from 1 June 2004 to 30 June 2004
9% from 1 July 2004 to 31 July 2004
10% from 1 August 2004 – 31 August 2004
11% from 1 September 2004 to 30 September 2004
12% from 1 October 2004 to 31 October 2004
13% from 1 November 2004 to 30 November 2004
14% from 1 December 2004 to 31 December 2004
15% from 1 January 2005 to 31 January 2005
16% from 1 February 2005 to 28 February 2005
17% from 1 March 2005

i'm not sure, but i think this applies to what i want to find out. and presuming the 5% + VAT that you've encountered was before march, it could be as high as 13% +VAT now. that's a real bugger. have a read through though and see if you think that's right (if you don't mind)

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/importing/add-duties-imports-USA.htm

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually, i've gone through the lsit of things it affects and i don't think guitars, instruments, or anything like that are affected.

wahoo! hopefully. i have sent an email to HM Customs and Excise though, hoping they can give me a solid, accurate answer.
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell!
I shouldn't think it will affect guitars. I certainly hope not anyway.
I wouldn't think they're on the top of the taxation list.

Please do let me know what Customs & Excise tell you.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  02:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no word yet. btw, i've spotted a contemporary telecaster for quite a low price, would you recommend it? what's good and what's bad from your personal experience?
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  12:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen to Tom. He knows his stuff!!!

Hey Tom, if I keep bigging you up like this, will you sell me your lefty Tele cheap?

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  11:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

If you pay, say, £100 for the guitar and £15 for the shipping, that's £115. Import tax is generally 5%, so that's £120.75. Then you'll pay 17.5% VAT on top of that, which is £141.88.

just wanna make sure on something, because i am a worrier!

in this example, i'll be paying £115 (item + shipping) to the seller, and £141.88 - £115 to the postman, yeah? ie. not £141.88 to the postman...

I joined the Cult of Pi / Because it's cool
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  13:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No not all of that to the postman!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  14:01:18  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Contemporary Tele, if you're after that Black Francis sound then go for the Contemporary. I'd recommend you look for the rest of the stuff he used with it (marshall JCM800 and a line booster I think?). I've only had mine a few weeks, and through a Fender solidstate it's not quite got that chinky clanky quacky clunky signature Francis sound. The feel is good, but it's very heavy.
I'd say Doog's your man when it comes to this guitar and Francis set up.

Mike! I've sold that lefty Tele! A moment of madness. I wish I hadn't, but I do have that Contemporary Tele now (allbeit a crude righty to lefty conversion). Not that I regret buying the Contemporary, it's very good. Very handy coil split too.

Steve, £26.88 is what goes to the postman. Just under 27% of what you'll pay for the guitar and shipping (if import tax hasn't changed).

Also, note that one of the white contemporary tele's on american ebay has had humbucker replacements, and doesn't have the coil split available (which BF used mostly I believe).
There is a black one on ebay that looks fantastic, if I had the money....!

Good luck!

Edited by - misleadtheworld on 05/27/2004 14:02:34
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  16:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the black one is what i am bidding on! don't try an outbid me, bitch ;)
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  10:49:49  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My, I had to literally SIFT for this post.
Did you get the black one Steve? huh? huh?!

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  13:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no i didn't, hah.

the thing is, although i want a telecaster eventually, at this moment in time i am not prepared to pay the price i am likely to have to to win one (on ebay about 500 for an american). so basically, i am keeping a casual eye on anything that's more affordable, but meanwhile saving up.
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  13:47:59  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, and there was me all excited!

Good luck with the Tele hunt. I saw an original 1951 Tele on ebay UK the other day. Something like ten grand, it was going for. Oh what it is to be affluent. I wish, I wish I could afford just one such extravogance.

Edited by - misleadtheworld on 06/09/2004 13:48:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000