Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  08:54:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I expected some more debat about the level of the disclive recodings.
What do you guys think of it?
I have only heard some wave files of it with flac. decoding
(so that is supposed to be no loss in audio, but who knows?)
But they sound great!
Sometimes there is a 'puff!' or 'glitch' but that seems logical if you know these motherfuckers were mixed live.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:06:29  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone actually posted and mp3 of one of DiscLives recordings and then a version they had re-mastered themsleves. They shared their thoughts on what could be better. I can't find the thread though to share with you. It was in one of the other two Pixies forums if you want to look around. Maybe someone else will link it here.

Myself, I am not picky with bootlegs. I think they spectacular and if there are glitches they will probably get worked out thorught the 15 shows.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of sounding completely ignorant,
how do they get them ready so quickly?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:33:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
uhm, I guess they mix live and burn fast!
Maybe peter radiotor knows more about it, he always has some technical
info

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have the first CD done before the show is even over. The CDs and artwork are pre-printed. And, though I'm not sure how much they'd want me to say, without saying too much, they have 20 or so computers full of high-speed burners, specialized software, and robotics. Yes, you heard me. Robotic arms. It's really an inspiring trailer they've got there, full of amazing equipment. I saw a plain old Sony walkman hanging around in there that they must've been using for mastering, plus a huge mixing platform, optical feeds, etc, etc.

My personal opinion is that these shows are worth every cent and I have bought a DiscLive CD for every show I've attended. I now regret slightly not buying Minneapolis and Indio so that I could have their first four shows plus their last one here in North America (not sure if they're doing the fall yet).

I almost got to meet some of the guys and they were all VERY friendly and helpful, even when we paid them a second visit while they were busy spitting out the discs here in Saskatoon. They were incredibly busy but still friendly and let us watch their rig at work again. I'm happy to support good people with a good product.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

My Velouria
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a stupid question I have in mind : if my CD number is 533, what does that mean? Nothing or that I have been the 533th buyer of the cd??
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have disc number 533/1000. It has nothing to do with the order you bought it in nor even the order it was burned. They're handed out right from a box in whatever order they're drawn from in whatever order you're in line, etc. So, in short, it's a random number as far as you're concerned. It would be cool to have number one or something, though.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
um, nevermind.

Edited by - Carolynanna on 04/19/2004 10:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  10:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jake told me i can take some pics of the rig when i see get a tour here in Vic, so i'll have pictures posted then. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  12:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quality of these CD's are unbelievable. I really was not expecting much when purchasing one, but when I heard it...I couldn't have picked a better momento of the show. Plus you have the video clips in your head to go along with it. Listening to the CD brings back almost every moment from the show.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  14:55:35  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm working on editing the rest of Minneapolis as we speak, and will gladly offer it up for anyone who wants it. this isn't a slight to DiscLive by any means, just there are definitely limitations to what you can do while mixing on the fly.

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  15:00:17  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Calistanian, are you referring to any specific video clips? I'm still wondering what those DV cameras were doing at Minneapolis. Are they explained in another thread?

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  16:26:00  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am still curious to why some people are leaving the shows with numbers above 500. You would think if the allotment is only 500 then someone would get 1, 2 and so on to 500. Not 533. Why would they be staggering it so you get higher numbers.
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  16:32:06  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if not all of the pre-sale ones are sold prior to the show, they will sell that allotment at the show, so it's possible that for some shows, they'll sell say 300 online prior to the show, then another 200-700 at the show, thus some of the people buying their cd's at the show, getting above 500.

Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  02:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Disclive pre-print the artwork & sleeves, how do they change the tracklisting if The Pixies don't stick to the setlist or encore/s? It was my understanding the encore songs were not set in stone anyway, they were chosen on the night..

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  03:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

All the shows are being posted at alt.something.bootlegs and complete.cd - as we speak. Different rips available. They sound awesome to me - lucky U.S. bastards. Oh well, I'll be backstage with them this summer. Yeh.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  03:25:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avid-Fan

If Disclive pre-print the artwork & sleeves, how do they change the tracklisting if The Pixies don't stick to the setlist or encore/s? It was my understanding the encore songs were not set in stone anyway, they were chosen on the night..

(( I talk plain talk ))

they don't have tracklisting

Go to Top of Page

frankvink
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  04:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ivan,

What's this "alt.something.bootlegs" and "complete.cd"? Could you give a complete url?

Thanks, Frank

Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  05:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankvink

Hi Ivan,

What's this "alt.something.bootlegs" and "complete.cd"? Could you give a complete url?

Thanks, Frank

Alt.binaries.this and alt.binaries.that are newsgroups in which people post a bunch of files for every taste. The files stay on the group until the server is full and are replaced by new ones. Basically. There are probably people here that can explain what these groups are much better than I. These groups are free - in theory - but you usually have to pay to get access to someone who can provide you with server access. Aarg, I really can't explain. But anyway, I have an account at my.binaries - 10 bucks a month - 1.5 gb download limit - pr. day - he he. Great for music and warez.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  06:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

Calistanian, are you referring to any specific video clips? I'm still wondering what those DV cameras were doing at Minneapolis. Are they explained in another thread?

Prozacrat

Actually I was referring to the "video clips in my head", which are the memories invoked by playing the CD. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wish I had my hands on some actual video clips. I don't know anything about the DV cameras...hopefully something becomes of that.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody heard more than two or three shows yet? Which one sounds best?
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  15:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Avid-Fan

(( I talk plain talk ))

they don't have tracklisting

Yes, that would explain it nicely... Thanks Bill.

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

rrrich
- FB Fan -

Japan
82 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  18:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you make of the mixing tho? ive got minneapolis and winnipeg, and whilst they do sound wonderful and capture the crowd perfectly (dont you hate it when it sounds too studio?), daves drums end up sounding too muted towards the end and the acoustic guitar doesnt come through as it should. meh, maybe im just picky. ;p

ザ:ピクシーズ。。。
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  00:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they do a lot of left and right mixing, like kim right, joey left, that sort of stuff, reminds me of FB and the C's albums

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  01:45:12  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Calistanian

quote:

Prozacrat

Actually I was referring to the "video clips in my head", which are the memories invoked by playing the CD. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wish I had my hands on some actual video clips. I don't know anything about the DV cameras...hopefully something becomes of that.

You know, I assumed you were referring to the "video clips in my head" which I also have. However, I just wanted to make sure all my bases were covered and ask for the hell of it. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

andrescolombia
- FB Fan -

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got one cd per show too, but I missed regina, Davis, Indio and Chicago... Is someone interested in exchanging high qlty MP3s????? email me...

AndresCOL
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Calistanian

quote:

Prozacrat

You know, I assumed you were referring to the "video clips in my head" which I also have. However, I just wanted to make sure all my bases were covered and ask for the hell of it. Thanks.

Not a problem. It's good to cover the bases when there's Pixies video footage possibly on the line.

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:57:19  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Exactly.

Go to Top of Page

gavredmaxx
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:10:06  Show Profile  Visit gavredmaxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're quick, there's 3 shows right now up on alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.bootlegs including a re-posting of the Minneapolis one... Most ISPs in the UK provide access to newsgroups as part of their package - it's a case of configuring Outlook or whatever to browse them. Not sure how this works elsewhere. Once you've sussed out where they are etc, you have to get into decoding y-encoded posts etc - easy once you get the hang of it and sounds more complicated than it is, but it does require a decent newreader, which you should be able to download free from the web. I am in NO way tecchie as you may have noticed...
I don't condone bootlegging of course (a-hem) but with such a low pressing of such a quality product (and for someone with all his excess cash spent on tickets) these have been a lifeline for an obsessive on the other side of the atlantic and I'm eternally grateful to the guys who've posted these. It's been weird seeing how the playing's progressing night by night too...

No plans for UK CDs, I suppose?

Gav

"If this were really happening what would you think? "
Go to Top of Page

gavredmaxx
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:11:50  Show Profile  Visit gavredmaxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and mix-wise, the Saskatoon ones sound a LOT better than the others so far in my opinion - clearer, everything's at a decent level and it sounds much fuller.

Gav

Edited by - gavredmaxx on 04/21/2004 12:15:15
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:14:46  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I tried going to that site but it didn't work.
I want the shows!!

Go to Top of Page

gavredmaxx
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:16:12  Show Profile  Visit gavredmaxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not a site - it's a newsgroup. You can't access it via internet explorer etc....

Gav

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have Edmonton, but I'm listening to the rest of them back to back to see which has the best mix, and so far Saskatoon is easily the best recording. This might have something to do with it also being the best show and the band being so on that night, to be fair, but mix wise it does sound a bit better too.

Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree. Saskatoon sounds brilliant -just been posted. Fuck I am green with envy with you people getting those club shows. I hope you know how lucky you are!
Go to Top of Page

kingflower
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  15:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lossless format versions of these shows are starting to show up on DC++ (FLAC,SHN,APE).

Go to Top of Page

Zeb
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  16:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a very slight (silent) gap in-between each track on all the Disclive CDs so far
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000