Pioneer Press Review of Minneapolis show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  23:44:52  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sucks :)

who give sa crap what critics think, the fans know better.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/8426005.htm?1c

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  23:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you copy and paste the text here so we don't have to sell our souls and register? =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  23:47:04  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posted on Tue, Apr. 13, 2004

Pixies' 'warm-up' tour lukewarm

BY REGGIE ROYSTON

Pioneer Press

The Fine Line Music Lounge in downtown Minneapolis was the scene of one of the most talked about rock music reunions Tuesday night. Instead of resurrecting the youthful arena-rock ghosts of the 1970s, it was an icon of the graying of Generation X that was in the spotlight -- the Pixies, an indie rock band of the late '80s whose artistic daring and pop sensibility paved the way for '90s mainstream alternative rock acts like Nirvana (who heralded the band as one of their major influences).

For music fans in the Twin Cities, it was a moment of rare national fanfare. This would be the band's first public performance since 1992’s U2 “Zoo TV” tour and would be preceded by three days of private rehearsals at the downtown Minneapolis club.

The tickets sold out online within minutes, meaning a capacity crowd filled with savvy local music fans, music industry insiders and elite superfans who bought tickets on eBay and flew in from locales such as New York and Los Angeles.

The official word from the band’s camp was that this “warm-up” tour, hitting small cities such as Spokane, Wash., Boise, Idaho, and Winnipeg, Manitoba, is the lead up to the band’s official reunion gig -- a co-headlining spot at the exclusive Coachella Music Festival with Radiohead and Kraftwerk in May.

As far as warm-up shows go, the performance was just that -- warm.

Part of the mythos of the Pixies rested largely on the personality of their enigmatic lead singer and songwriter Frank Black, whose personality was famously acrimonious, cryptic, satirical and egomanicial -- traits which only served to make the band’s choppy mixture of surf-guitar, quirky pop and cantankerous punk believable and hard to categorize.

Dressed in a well-worn flannel and taking with a slightly amused smile, the bald and pudgy guitarist ripped through an opening set of twangy sing-scream classics “Bone Machine” and “Wave of Mutilation" mostly with eyes closed, remaining pensive, verging on bored throughout the set.

One wondered what indeed was going through Black’s head the entire performance. Lead guitarist, equally bald and diminutive Joey Santiago looked very pleased with the dancing crowd’s fanaticism while supplying the band’s signature surf tone. The much-loved Kim Deal (who sang lead for The Breeders after the band’s demise) smiled adorably from behind her bass, losing time often as she is famously known to do, but clearly lost in the moment, often exchanging gleeful nods with David Lovering, the drummer.

Through two sets and one encore, the band’s music lived up its laborious and ecstatic reputation, quiet, brooding and danceable for the slow parts of the “Tame” epic and thunderous for “Velouria.”

Black looked as if he were somewhere else.

As far as reunions go, Black’s curious disinterest and rougher elements the band’s performance left cause for pause. During Deal’s signature tune “Gigantic,” the bass player’s singing and time was clearly off, leaving Black clearly annoyed and leading to a catty exchange between the two afterward.

Those exchanges beg the question of whether the chemistry of the group, which broke up when differences between the two could not be ironed out, can be sustained with vigor to complete a year’s worth of touring.

That can only be answered when the band returns to the Twin Cities for a concert at Roy Wilkins this fall, for a show more accessible to the grassroots indie-rock audience which helped launch the band’s career.

Reggie Royston can be reached at rroyston@pioneerpress.com.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  00:38:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well well, I don't like the tone of the article...
I mean if you want to see a disinterested Black who still hates Kim, you can always see it.
But Frank almost always plays with his eyes closed and how can this writer know that there was a 'catty exchange' between the two? Maybe he was saying something encouraging...

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

PixiesDeal
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  00:55:05  Show Profile  Visit PixiesDeal's Homepage  Click to see PixiesDeal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah that article is stupid. HELLO, they haven't played together in 12 years ya know...gee, this reporter is talking about how the band is off time and all, whatever! I mean, bands are obliged to mess up, they are human for crying outloud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When people ask me what band I'm in and I say The Pixies, they say, 'Oh, it's an all-girl group, right?' I guess the name is pretty wimpy"-Kim Deal
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  01:16:03  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there was no "catty exchange", we all saw the entire show, they were having a blast with each other. joking around with each other/communicating, maybe, yes. but catty? naw.

and kim didn't fuck up Gigantic at all, that writer is deaf
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  04:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt. That is ridiculous. Read the NME review, it's much better.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  04:56:29  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by klikger
Read the NME review, it's much better.

which is in itself very bizarre....

but no, that guy went looking for something to moan about, which sucks for him.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

Horrible
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  06:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"but no, that guy went looking for something to moan about, which sucks for him"

I see that sort or thing from guys who write for smaller, local papers. Taking potshots at big stars and talented folks, just to make themselves feel bigger. And what better chance to do that than the first Pixies gig in 12 years.... Eh.. kinda sad, but if it got him a big stiffy, whatever...
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  06:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy has never seen Frank live, and he don't know anything about him or the Pixies.
It makes me think of the people in Paris who went to see brian Wilson's smile performance without knowing anything about his story, they only saw an old tired singer and didn't catch why it was such a pleasure for fans.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  07:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a jackass. He has no idea what he's talking about. He bases his entire review on FB's stage presence?!?!? That's always been his stage presence. It's like reading a review of the Stones and saying "The lead singer inexplicably ran around like a madman instead of concentrating on his singing. It was a very poor performance."

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Mroocore
- FB Fan -

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  07:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as we all know Frank always seems quite determined when he is on stage. reggie, not knowing this fact, may have mistaken determination for boredom and/or annoyance.

"...the bass player’s singing and time was clearly off, leaving Black clearly annoyed and leading to a catty exchange between the two afterward. "

unless reggie had a chance to sit down and talk to each FB and KD after the show i cannot see how he can say w/ certainty that Frank was either catty or annoyed.

reggie seems to not fully understand that this is a warm-up tour. in the end what does it matter what a critic has to say about the show when all that were there(that have posted their thoughts) loved it. i cannot wait to find out for myself.

it is on.

PENGU LIES
Go to Top of Page

christd1123
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  07:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya Reggie is a fuckin idiot
Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  11:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for reassuring me guys..after reading the review i was kinda like "eh whats going on?"

Éireann go Brách
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's just media looking to stir up something more than there really is

keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  12:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I posted my response in a parallel thread...

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6878.

I used to be a reporter and this was not what I would call fair reporting.
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  15:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to him before the show and he seemed like a nice guy. He told me he was a fan but has only seen the Breeders live....

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

woodworm
- FB Fan -

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  15:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote Reggie, and gave him my opinion of his review.

It wasnt kind.
Go to Top of Page

CmabanK
- FB Fan -

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  17:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Frank solo many times and I can't say I've ever seen him smile and joke or even open his eyes as much as he did and Kim (smiling the whole night) and Joey and Dave were right there with them enjoying it. Lots of laughs and chatter back and forth and it seemed like they were just having a ball! Thanks for a great reunion!

"Like Jesus Christ on the hill / I'll be Blue."
Go to Top of Page

DeBased
- FB Fan -

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ewww! not reading it.

the method...of stop tap spin, no talkin'...
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just listened to an MP3 of the Minneapolis performance of "Gigantic". Kim's singing and bass playing were just fine.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  21:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What passes for "just fine" these days is unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  23:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I can play three instruments proficiently and know the chords to nearly every FB song by heart. You are, however, entitled to your opinion.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  18:23:18  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After reading all the reviews of this show, this one still is the only negative one. I hope this dude feels like a jackass now. Like the guy who went to Star Wars: Episode One and gave it a great review, only to find out later everyone else said it was shit. Oh, wait I don't think there ever was a great review for that movie. Bad example.

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000