MTV Interview w/Joey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  06:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Courtesy of our favourite people at MTV, a little interview with Joseph Alberto Santiago:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486129/20040401/pixies.jhtml?headlines=true

When Joey Santiago walked into the first practice session for the upcoming Pixies reunion tour, it had been 11 years since the band's four members had all been in the same room together. So his reaction was understandable.

"It was pretty weird," the guitarist told MTV News. "But it was literally only weird for a little while. Once we started playing, that was it ... it was fun. It was on to business."

In February, the Pixies announced that they had put an acrimonious 1993 breakup behind them and were regrouping for a spring and summer tour (see "Pixies Announce Dates For Reunion Tour"). Plans for the reunion were first reported by MTV News last fall (see "Legendary Pixies To Reunite For Tour, Album").

So was Santiago able to remember the songs that he made famous with his twisting, surf-inspired guitar licks? "Not all of them. Some of them I had to go and listen to again," he said, laughing. "There were a few muscle memory moments. Charles [Black Francis] came in and started playing songs we haven't touched in a while and it was like, 'Whoa! How does that one go again?' "

Santiago could be forgiven for not immediately remembering all of the nuances of his old band's tunes. For the last four years, he's been playing music in a different band, the Martinis, a group that also includes his wife, singer Linda Mallari.

The band offers up a dozen breezy, melodious pop ditties on its new album, Smitten, which is being released June 1. It's a follow-up to the group's self-titled album, released in 2000.

"It's tough sometimes, you know, because you never get a break from the person you're working with," Santiago said about working with his wife. "We almost have to draw lines in the house — if we're in the kitchen or bedroom, we can't talk about the music."

Santiago and Mallari met in Boston in the late 1980s before the Pixies had even played a live show. Touring in support of this Martinis album could prove difficult for Santiago, and not just because he's committed through the fall with the Pixies reunion tour — his wife is expecting their second child in August.

"Makes it tough to tour, doesn't it? But we had to put the album out sometime," Santiago explained.

Santiago also spent time in recent years scoring television and movies. He contributed to the score for the indie flick "Crime and Punishment in Suburbia" and, until it got canceled, the television show "Undeclared," which was written by the creators of "Freaks and Geeks." For that show, Santiago was creating up to 20 musical cues per episode. "I was ready for the straightjacket," he joked.

In two weeks, Santiago will hit the road with the Pixies for the kickoff of the band's "warm-up" tour. They'll play 14 shows before headlining the Coachella Festival on May 1 in Indio, California (see "Radiohead, Pixies, Kraftwerk Playing First Night Of Coachella").

"When we started getting back together, in my perspective anyway, I wanted to see if it would be embarrassing to do," he said. "If it was, maybe we should [have just kept it] on a high note, you know? But it turns out it's really fun, really good."

For Pixies fans lucky enough to attend the reunion shows, special limited-edition live CDs of each tour stop will be made available immediately after the performances. A DiscLive CD duplication truck following the band will make 1,000 live recordings of every show for purchase that night, at $25 per disc. Those recordings not sold will be made available at the DiscLive Web site (www.disclive.com) after each show.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/02/2004 06:32:42

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  15:20:40  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice 1 Cof, cheers for that!

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  15:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually have to thank PixiesMusic since I saw this referenced on their news page first.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6030 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  08:20:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They stole lots of fb.net so I guess it's not a big deal

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6030 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  08:22:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and ohh yes,

a new martinis record? great! their website said they were in writting mode, luckily there already finished!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  09:41:55  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool article, very interesting. would be cool to have similar interviews with dave and kim too, see what their first thoughts and stuff were when they first got back together.

The Shrine of the Sea Monkey!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  09:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This from NME.com:

PIXIES guitarist JOEY SANTIAGO says he's having "fun" with the reunited band - despite his initial reservations about hitting the road again.

The band's world tour starts next week in Minneapolis - the first time the indie rockers have played together in 12 years. And Santiago says he's enjoying rehearsals - despite not being able to remember all the songs.

He told MTV: "It was pretty weird. But it was literally only weird for a little while. Once we started playing, that was it ... it was fun. It was on to business."

He added: "There were a few muscle memory moments. Charles (frontman Black Francis) came in and started playing songs we haven't touched in a while and it was like, 'Whoa! How does that one go again?'.

"When we started getting back together, in my perspective anyway, I wanted to see if it would be embarrassing to do. If it was, maybe we should (have just kept it) on a high note, you know? But it turns out it's really fun, really good."

As previously reported on NME.COM, Pixies are to release 15 live albums - one from each of gig on their forthcoming North American reunion tour.

The records will all be strictly limited editions and fans at the concerts will have first chance to buy them.

The live albums will be pressed at the shows in a limited edition of 1,000, with the exception of their Coachella Festival gig, where 2,000 will be made, Rolling Stone reports.

Half of the CDs will be available to pre-order through disclive.com with the rest being sold at the show. Any left over will be sold through the website. The recordings are individually numbered, foil-stamped, limited edition double-CD copies and will feature artwork individual to each show.

The tour also includes a massive European jaunt, including the previously announced residency at the London Brixton Carling Academy (June 2-5), which has sold out.

The band have just announced yet another show, in Geneva on June 27, thus finally putting paid to any hopes of a Glastonbury appearance.

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000