Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  05:13:23  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An excellent idea, I hope they do it at the European shows as well.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  06:33:07  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just purchased the first show. RAWK!

2004-04-13 Fine Line Music Cafe
Minneapolis, MN

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  07:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait, they are shipping these out? I thought they would give you a voucher or something to pick them up at the show?

Maybe I'll just get one the day of then. 500 CDs in Minni is almost one for every person anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  07:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can do either. Makes sense to just pick it up at the show if you're going to be there.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Sad Punk
- FB Fan -

73 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  08:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want them all !!!!!
can really only afford 1
1st show?
show i actually want to go to?
show i'm attending?
hmmm
i love this forum
it's like a neverending puzzle and ulcer feeder

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  08:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know if you got a voucher if it was still first come first serve. Obviously I would love to listen to it promptly after the show, but I'm getting one through the mail to make sure I get one. I'm talking about the Winnipeg show, where there's 1600 people.

BTW, I can't believe how much this rawks!

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.

Edited by - The Calistanian on 04/02/2004 08:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, pre-ordering secures you for one of the 500 set aside. You can either get it in person or by mail. The other 500 are first-come, first-serve.

An interesting business strategy, as it makes sense to guarantee as much income as possible (i.e. possibly selling out the entire 1000 before the show), but I suppose they're sacrificing some of that guarantee in hopes that demand will be so high that they'll generate a buzz from all the people crowding around to get their hands on the last 500.

In any case, when you've preordered it, it's yours.

Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  09:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the money either, but I couldn't resist pre-ordering the whole tour. Just hope my fiance doesn't find out :/
Go to Top of Page

JakeWalker
- FB Fan -

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  09:58:08  Show Profile  Visit JakeWalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, guys. I'm Jake Walker, part of the DiscLive team. Just wanted to give you a heads up that there are only a very few Minneapolis shows left for pre-order ... it will likely sell out in a very short period of time, so if you haven't got yours yet, don't delay.

I'm also willing to help answer any questions you may have about DiscLive, so fire away.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  09:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing the set lists aren't going vary a whole lot, so then I'm left with ordering the show I'm attending (Davis) where the acoustics are going to be pretty bad or order a show from a better venue. Does anybody know if any of the venues are particularly good?
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  10:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jake,

thanks for stopping by. I've got a question - I assume you are running off the soundboard? If so, are you getting a separate mix, or are you using the house mix? As you probably know, the house mix (which is of course mixed for the acoustics of the space) often sounds distant and thin when you play it back on a home stereo.

Just wondering if you guys deal with this or just accept the limitations (or even set up mike stands and record it that way?)

Also, I'm wondering if you guys to any dynamic range compression, or if you just leave it full range (my preference)

Edited by - kromkamp on 04/02/2004 10:15:11
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for venue acoustics, I'd guess with Winnepeg show will be the best recording. The smaller venues will, unfortunately probably have a lot of audience screaming and sing-along in them. The other bigger venues on the tour look like warehouses or other venues that are poor acoustically.
Go to Top of Page

JakeWalker
- FB Fan -

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  10:15:34  Show Profile  Visit JakeWalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got an excellent sound guy who records and masters the show. We combine both a feed from the front-of-house mix with ambient microphones located throughout the venue... we take a lot of care in making sure the recording sounds great, and have made a lot of investments to try to recreate on the CD the experience of the night. Our sound engineer will approach recording at the smaller venues differently than recording at the larger ones. I think you will all be very happy with the sound quality.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  10:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I just bought the last one for Minneapolis!!! I can't believe it. Lucky I read this topic when I did.

Thanks Jangis, thanks LBF!!!

Hope they do this in the UK too. I should imagine they will.

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I'm guessing the set lists aren't going vary a whole lot, so then I'm left with ordering the show I'm attending (Davis) where the acoustics are going to be pretty bad or order a show from a better venue. Does anybody know if any of the venues are particularly good?

I'm assuming Winnipeg will be excellent, as it's in an orchestra theatre. From the pictures, it looks like an acoustical pleasure.
I dunno about the other places.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Walker. Are there any plans you're aware of to do some of these European shows? Many of our users are from there (particularly the UK and France) and would be as quick to jump on those as they have been to get the warm-up tour shows.

Of course, I understand the expenses of sending equipement and personnel overseas, but I thought it'd be nice to know one way or the other.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, have we set some sort of record for sell-out time on the Minneapolis pre-order with you guys?

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:51:02  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if the cd's sell out this fast on pre-order I predict they'll soon start popping up on eBay and sell for hugely inflated prices. I hope the number of pre-order cd's available will be increased for the shows where the demand is great.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think so...

the venue's not that big and they reserved 500 for first-come, first-serve, plus only 2/customer so I can't imagine scalpers would get much for them.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

Hmm, if the cd's sell out this fast on pre-order I predict they'll soon start popping up on eBay and sell for hugely inflated prices. I hope the number of pre-order cd's available will be increased for the shows where the demand is great.

wilhelm

I won't be selling mine, that's for sure. Not for any price.

I have $5,000,000 at the back!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sad Punk
- FB Fan -

73 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, i'm jealous of you whole set buyers
i'm just getting spokane
i'll try to keep my tone-deaf singing along down so i won't ruin the recording
no promises
who knew Billy Idol could bring this magic our way
let's all give him a big rebel yell
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:02:04  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pants

if they want to make even more money, maybe they'll offer a pro shot dvd of every show too. might be too late to plan that though.

That would be awesome! Now for that I would buy every copy. It wouldn't be too hard to do either. Think of a live TV broadcast, someone could totally pull it off and make copies using disclive's copying technology.

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/
Go to Top of Page

matthew
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn! First show is sold out!
I hope some of you guys are on Soulseek....

;-)
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:28:41  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I don't think so...

the venue's not that big and they reserved 500 for first-come, first-serve, plus only 2/customer so I can't imagine scalpers would get much for them.

Well the fans who get their cd's at the show won't sell but I imagine a few scalpers will grab the opportunity to buy from the website and sell later on. Let us watch eBay by the end of April.

It would be brilliant to own the whole set of the N.American warm-up tour. Just too expensive though, it would cost more than my plane ticket from SA to London!

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

JakeWalker
- FB Fan -

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:39:25  Show Profile  Visit JakeWalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right now we've got no plans to go to the European shows. You're right, it would be pretty complicated dealing with all of the issues it would take to get one of our production trucks abroad. We'd love to get to a point where we can operate around the world, and haven't ruled it out in the long run, but as of right now, we don't have plans to take the trip.

As far as a sell out record, certainly, we've been blown away by the sales after just one day... We've seen some excellent sales in the past, but our concept can be difficult to grasp, so lots of sales come usually both at the venue and after the show. We knew as soon as we got involved with the Pixies, though, that we'd sell a ton of CD's in advance. Hopefully limiting the purchases and holding back CDs for those who are at the venue will help everyone get a copy of something special. You'll be really impressed not only with the CD's themselves, but with the packaging as well. We've really taken care to make sure that our products are something you can treasure. Our goal when we started DiscLive was always for these CD's to be something you might share with your kids or grandkids years from now, not just "another CD." I hope you'll all find that to be true.

Edited by - JakeWalker on 04/02/2004 12:41:02
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

Lets hope you can clear the US/Canada border with no problems nowadays....

Edited by - kromkamp on 04/02/2004 12:51:45
Go to Top of Page

havinganyfun
- FB Fan -

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Click to see havinganyfun's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would categorize the sound at the walker theatre in Winnipeg as lovely, i have attended a number of different concerts there, and have yet to be dissapointed, it should be a show you couldn't go wrong with. i have pre-purchased mine.

-a

give them blood and they'll love you for it
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  13:40:51  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm..I'm not too excited about the "Limited Edition" part of it, either...I have no money right now, but I would love to have all of the shows. I won't be able to get any though, because by the time I get money for them they will all be sold out. (500 isn't very many AT ALL)

I hope somebody will set up a thread in the Trading section for B+P or something since there will be so little of these out there..

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're not interested in the "collectible" aspect I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding the shows on SoulSeek within hours of the shows. Since in this particular case it doesn't look like it will cut into DiscLive's sales, you can probably even do it with a clear conscience. I'm not saying Jake Walker will consider you his best friend, though.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  13:48:34  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just want the music...

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  13:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by havinganyfun

i would categorize the sound at the walker theatre in Winnipeg as lovely, i have attended a number of different concerts there, and have yet to be dissapointed, it should be a show you couldn't go wrong with. i have pre-purchased mine.

-a

give them blood and they'll love you for it

That's what I thought...I've got mine too.

Go to Top of Page

beergeek
- FB Fan -

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  14:12:02  Show Profile  Visit beergeek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as the DVD goes, I'm fairly sure there will at least be someone documenting this warm-up. Not sure what they will make of it.

I mentioned in a thread about a Frank Black solo show here in SF that someone was walking around with a pro digital video camera. They were taking shots of the crowd, and Frank from the back. Not really documenting the show, but doing what looks like could be stock footage for a DVD about the whole reunion (maybe DVD extras, etc.).

Let's hope they do something. I'd love to see the whole Fine Line show on DVD. Very special night indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Jefery With One F
- FB Fan -

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  17:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I'm so glad I check this page everyday. Just think - without it, I might never have heard of the tour, let alone the CD. Thanks for all of the information.
Go to Top of Page

yourfavoritenid
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  17:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I am a douche bag! But I'm also stoked about the "official bootleg" cds. That's a great idea!
Go to Top of Page

yourfavoritenid
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  18:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question for Jake Walker, if you're still checking this board. Someone may have already clarified this, but will the pre-sales affect the chances of getting a disc on the day of the show? I would like to get discs only for the shows that I'm attending, and would prefer to do so on the day of the show.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000