Frank Black talks Pixies in new GQ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

A_Man_Called_Horse
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  15:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The April issue of GQ -- with Viggo Mortensen on the cover -- has a profile of Frank Black. As far as I can tell, this is the first interview Frank's given since the Pixies reunion was announced. Pretty interesting. He credits the decision to reunite the band on his recent divorce and his decision to begin seeing a psychiatrist, and, of course, his need for money.

"There's a lot of mystery around the band, so we've been getting really high offers," Black's quoted as saying. "I could use the money right now. I know the other guys could use the money. We could all use an influx of cash in our lives. And let's face it: Those European festivals, they pay a lot." He also points out, that, "At the end of the day, it's my band."

The only other Pixie quoted is Joey, who doesn't say much other than to observe that Frank's mellowing out these days.

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  16:17:00  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is that the uk or us edition?

The Shrine of the Sea Monkey!
Go to Top of Page

A_Man_Called_Horse
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  16:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
US edition; came in the mail yesterday. There's also a good interview with Morrissey...
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  16:50:43  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I sort of didn't want to hear that. I think I will go pick up that issue, because it sounds interesting -- but deep down I wanted to think that they were reuniting the Pixies because they knew they were a fucking great band, and they had some desire to make kick-ass music again. I'm sure that has something to do with it, but reuniting for money seems somewhat lame.

Frank mellowing out also helps, however... because I know that Joey and David were probably always cool with the idea of reuniting. I just like to think that they will rediscover their chemistry and blow the roof off the music world...not that they are just doing it for a paycheck.

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  21:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, this brings up an interesting point, would you rather him say:

* i'm doing it for the money

or

* i'm doing it because it's one of the best bands in the world

I don't think he'd win either way. At least he's being honest (unless he's joking, which is hard to read sometimes..) And really, it's the Pixies, and you're going to get to see them live, does it really matter why they're playing?

If it really *is* for the money, i can't wait to see what he does with it...

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

HashWax
- FB Fan -

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  21:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, who really knows if he's being serious? has he been known to fuck around in interviews? if he is, it's not like you can read any inflection/tone from a mag article...

*brandon
Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  05:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

What does every 80s rocker spend their reunion cash on? Hookers and cheep booze of course.

My CD List:
www.cd-tracker.com/~gk128
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  08:35:26  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget cocaine...

You ain't a REAL 80s rocker until you "do a line off of a strippers ass/tits/insert body part"
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  17:20:47  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I need me a copy of this GQ issue. I know they're getting a nice big pay check for doing Coachella. I don't know if Kim needs the money more then the other three. I'm sure Joey needs some cash flowing his way. And was anything recovered from the equipment Frank lost while on tour? That might be one of the reasons he's more willing to do the tour. And I'm sure while they're playing they'll wonder why they split up in the first place. Unless Kim and Charles start at each other's throats. Only "The Man" can clear this up. Wonder if he ever gonna come back?

___________________________________________________________________________________

I'd love to see inside your mind, to tear it all apart
To cut you open with a knife and find your sacred heart
I'd love to take your satin dolls and tear them all to shreds
I'd love to mess your pretty hair, i'd love to see you dead. - Boingo
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  22:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was about the money, don't you think that they would find better venues then Mpls, Winnie, Eugene, etc? Besides, if Kim needs money she'd do a lot better releasing a Breeders album.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  00:46:02  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well they will be playing better venues than the Fine Line and Burton Cummings. That's why they're "warming up" with these shows. So when they get paid the big bucks at Coachella and the other various festivals (and subsequent N. American tour) they will be in full swing and the high paying venues will get every penny's worth. Festivals pay very good money for bands. Hell, for the price of a bottle of water at one of those things, they've GOTTA be getting paid nicely. And at the same time, the hardcore fans will get to see them find their feet again in bitchin' intimate venues like those mentioned above. And we all know they're gonna rock, warmed up or not. They'll have more $$$ in their pockets. They'll have more artistic flexibility in the future. We'll have gotten another once-lost chance to see the Pixies. Bands that wouldn't have existed if it weren't for the Pixies will be able to share a stage with them at various festivals and pay homage. Aside of a few minor glitches, as there are in everything, everybody comes out on top.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  16:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So an important thing the original poster is leaving out is this:

"Without getting too mushy, there was not really much of a breakup the first time. [This time] we went through the breakup that we never had. The financial stuff is great, but I really feel there's a kind of peaceful, joyous thing about just playing music with people. It's something we had when we first started, and somehow it got messed up. I hope this time I can make that up and say, 'Okay, sorry I used to be such a grouch.'"

So sure, the money is great for Frank, but he also seems generally happy to be back in his old band and to kill a few demons left unchecked last time. Don't worry about this reunion at all; it's all good.

The article is fantastic, I might add, and any Frankophile should pick it up. Frank's solo work gets plenty of mentions, and the interviewer even mentions that Pistolero is a must-have album!

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  20:05:31  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, that quote fixes it up quite nicely for me. I wasn't worried before, but I'm really not now. Thanks.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  18:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good article with some really cool photos. I just bought the magazine today.

However that second paragraph gets on my nerves a little:

"Now, night after night, Black shows up, sells out and plays to an audience that has come to catch a glimpse of what they all missed out on years ago - fans who appreciate his solo work but who, deep down, are really there to sing along to 'Gigantic' or 'Velouria' or 'Monkey Gone to Heaven'".

Yuck! No I'm not!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  18:51:37  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When did Frank ever play "Gigantic" at a solo show, anyway?

Join the Culf of Buttoms / Correctly spelled cults are so passé.
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  07:43:00  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't even catch that. I don't think he would have played that. Velouria, yes. Gouge Away, Where is My Mind?, Nimrod's Son and Mr. Greives, when I saw. But not Gigantic. There are only like 8 - 10 Pixies songs he plays live.
Go to Top of Page

st.pixies
- FB Fan -

Iceland
5 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  08:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is your mind...:) hey whats new on Pixies some new cd,new songs

Life Pixies
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  08:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
decent article. it gives frank his due props. interesting pictures. friends i have that are girls, having heard the pixies and and FB but not having ever seen what Black looks like, are always like, "oh my gosh....he is NOT what i thought he would look like".
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  08:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone scan that article? Sadly, the Brit GQ has different content.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  10:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the article, it talks about his moving to Portland and says that his father and brother live near by. I thought part of the inspiration for Bullit was his father's death.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  10:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird - someone emailed me the PDF of this article, enjoy!

www.frankblack.net/miscfiles/FB-GQ-Apr04.pdf

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:11:47  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article, enjoyed it a lot!

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

A third track in the studio for the next Catholics album.

"Join The Cult Of Wormy Cheese Man/In Ten Words Or Less"
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  14:43:11  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Down To The Well" is one of the standout tracks on Bossanova? I thought it was one of the less popular tracks on that album, although I could be wrong. Also, I think TOTY should have been included in the "Pix of the Litter," but you can't have everything.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / Correctly spelled cults are so passé.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  23:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
> A third track in the studio for the next Catholics album.

hahaha!

That would be very funny:

FB: "We're now recording in 3-track. Two just doesn't quite do it for me.."

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  03:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, a link, nice one havta print that off.

I edited this cos I spelt link 'liMK',DOH!

CARL.

"-JOIN ME!!"

Edited by - Carl on 04/01/2004 03:35:54
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  07:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To reference the paragraph Jason is talking about, It was very off color. Earlier in the article the aurthor talks about FB putting out too much music for anyone but the FB elitist, then goes on to say those same people secretly show up to his shows to sing along to Monkey, or what not. I've only seen him twice, and believe me I was not there to here Velouria, and I was not forced to sit through it either.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  08:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UK edition with Uma Thurman, relesed today, contains this interview? Am I right? 'Cos it was only in the US edition of last months GQ....right? RIGHT?

CARL.

"-JOIN ME!!"
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Bennett
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  07:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Jonathan Bennett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too was puzzled by the comment that his brother and Father live in Portland. I thought that he made it clear that his Dad had passed away??
Strange.

As far as you people hopping on to defend yourselves from the points the writer makes about his audience.. Enough! He isn't talking about you, obviously, but if you have been to a show, there are tons of people constantly screaming pixies titles, and when he plays a pixies song, the crowd goes 10 times louder than any other point of the show. With the exception of a very under sold show I saw in brooklyn last year, where the biggest reaction came from playing "Freedom Rock".

anyway. bad writer overall. Stepped into every cliche and cheesed up the whole thing with dumb references... like the one about gigantic being played live etc.... Great Pics Though.

J. Bennett
http://www.smallestsound.com
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  10:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

......I'm sure that has something to do with it, but reuniting for money seems somewhat lame....... _______________________

Oh puhlease, people Frank's age have bills to pay. Actually, people in general have bills to pay. He's got a gold mine in his pocket, let him use it.

I got news for all you purists: most creative types only spend abou 10-20% of their time and effort doing the stuff they really WANT to do, the stuff that's gonna make 'em stand out, the "pure art" stuff. The other 80-90 percent of their time goes to doing the stuff (often dreck) that allows them the finances/resources/etc to do the 10-20 percent of their art. I'll quote one of my own songs "You'll bitch at me for selling out, but I a'int losing sleep. I'm a whore, we're all whores, the shame's in being cheap."

I'm glad Frank held out for BIG $$$.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  09:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the article...it is nice getting to know Frank as a person. What a strong person to be so open with his life...i am sure his steps to get therapy will help others get the therapy they need too. Jacques Tati is cool-- my dad is a big fan! I like him too. huh..

On the other note, who cares if they are making money?? I am glad that they can make it in their life times... the good thing is they are not ripping off fans... ticket prices are reasonable.... $25 face value in Minneapolis. What national act charges that little for tickets these days?

Obvoiusly they could have charged $300 a ticket and still filled the venue.

I think the true rip off artists are people like Brittney Spears who have no talent and make a fat wad of cash by pimping their bodies.

The real issue is they're back!

I am happy the Pixies are making scratch. I hope they make of this journey what they want even if this means going big... I know they will keep it real if they do.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/09/2004 13:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  12:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank comes across rather well in the article.

'Took his plane to Columbia/So I could sell at my school"
Go to Top of Page

DeBased
- FB Fan -

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  21:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Frank comes across very well in the article, very real and down to earth. Good interview.

the method...of stop tap spin, no talkin'...
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  22:17:37  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a nice article, but it doesn't make me feel any happier about that a Pixies reunion is occuring.

Join the Cult of Pi - It's just 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000