Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Wahoowa
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  09:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, a random girl called me for help on an english paper in tenth grade. We then proceeded to talk for several hours about music and other crap which isn't very important. She made me a tape consisting of a bunch of random songs the best of which were, Subbacultcha and Veloria. The girl and I have been friends on and off for a while, but I listen to Frank Black and the Pixies almost every day.

-Mlot

"Frank Black in C'ville! So sweet I crapped my pants!"
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  21:11:23  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. Sasquatch:
Thanks for your reply. I should've checked sooner. I am expecting to trade with another fellow now. But yeah, I verified to myself that it was indeed the April 16th show. I can't wait to hear it for the second time ever. Incidentally, if you don't mind saying, how's the sound quality? I believe I've heard it's an average audience tape of it. Does that sound right? Man I should've yelled something crazy at a quiet moment during the show. Wait--there weren't any!

"Plain n' simp--the system's a pimp, but I refuse to be a ho."
Chuck D
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  21:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wepeel

i got into frank black the same way as JoseJones. weezer... well, the only difference was that this happened last year. i liked weezer when they came out. my sister played the sweater song a lot. i was 4. so, when i met Mikey Welsh and heard about the pixies everywhere i bought bossanova and it just started right from there. i'm officially the coolest 12 year old ever. ^_^

=wepeel

i'm sorry, i just think it's so funny that you casually say "i was 4" when referring to discovering weezer..

i distinctly remember hearing Alec Eiffel when i was a zygote, and thought it was very catchy..

then, when i was just about to turn 2, Frank Black was just then touring solo, for the first time here in LA, but i couldn't make it because it was 21 and over. i was lucky enough to make it to the Teenager Of The Year tour though, when i turned 3.. ah, memories..
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  10:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you do hear the audience alot, with background talking, but it's not bad at all. I'll give it a B- rating. My favorite tracks off of it are Gouge Away (Black really yells on this one), Nimrods Son (The slow tempo is fun!), and Vamos (I love Joey's solo on this one, Happy Birthday!) And this bootleg is the first time I ever heard Manta Ray, until I bought the singles...and later the B-Sides.

Edited by - Visiting Sasquatch on 10/17/2002 10:11:07
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  19:26:40  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, one of the few things I distinctly remember from the show was that during the Vamos craziness, Joey first used a beer bottle on the neck, and then Dave tossed him a drumstick, which he used. Then, Joey tossed it BACK to Dave, who didn't miss a beat (not like the thump-smack thump-smack rhythm is all complex or anything, but still . . .) and kept it up with the stick back in hand. It was coolie. Man I can't wait to hear it. Thanks Bigf--I mean, Yet--I mean, Sasquatch.

"Plain n' simp--the system's a pimp, but I refuse to be a ho."
Chuck D
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  09:20:40  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was at a party at someone's house and Is She Weird from pixies at the BBC came on and I thought that it was the most powerful song i'd ever heard. I was franticly running around trying to find who was putting the music on or someone who knew who this band was. Some drunk guy said "the pixies" and so I went out the next day to buy a pixies CD. I bought bossanova, which started my pixies and frank black obsessiveness.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  11:25:02  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in a cadillac, in the snow, the only tape Surfer Rosa, 1990 sometime, stuck in a storm, the tape playing over and over for hours and hours.
the next summer, to the beach, the only tape Surfer Rosa, stuck in beach traffic (to Mystic), the tape playing over and over and breaking, for the stress and the warmed interior.. years later the problem persists..

connecticut record stores, circa 1990..
.. do you have 'pixies'?
'the pixies'?
'pixies'.
'the pixies'?
'no the'.
'um'.
'do you have pixies'?
'no'.
'the pixies, then'?
'um. no'..

spem in alium
Go to Top of Page

spy303
- FB Fan -

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  16:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was 15 playing megadeth on guitar, reading guitar world
looking for something cooler and read the pixies broke up.

i didn't know what they were.

A couple days later my friends were bitching about the split
'cause they liked the pixies sooooooo damn much, and being a
music-snob-in-training that 14 year old musicians are, bought the only thing I could find
--Doolittle-- Next was teenager, a couple more pixies
albums, then more solo stuff. He opened my ayes to songwriting
styles so mindblowing it instantly altered my musical direction.
Superdrag, Slayer, propagandhi, NOFX and Godflesh later,
Frank Black music is what sticks out as the most important.

by far.

I MADE myself not buy all the Pixies albums at once so I
could have time to appreciate them since I knew there would
never be anymore....I bought dog in the sand 2 months ago
and can't wait to catch back up with the rest of the catholics
stuff. TEENAGER will rule forever with Doolittle though...
And GODFLESH...

FRANK FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

TOTIPOTENT
- Master of Differentiation -

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  21:20:46  Show Profile  Visit TOTIPOTENT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was around 1988, I had two older/skater brothers that always made mixed tapes of different music (mostly punk). One day, I believe morning time, I heard for the first time 'Where is my Mind?' and was like...who is that? From that day onward I have been engaged with the beautiful sound of the acoustic guitar...and the man that plays it so well!

Differentiation at it's best...
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  21:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
since it was mentioned, i just have to say that the bbc sessions version of "is she weird" is so raw and mindblowing. scary and beautiful at the same time. when i heard the bossanova version it was so clean sounding, yet the bbc one is so dirty. that is all.

-dan
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  00:10:50  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I first heard the pixies on the tonight show with jonny carson playing here comes your man! Hooked ever since. The same thing happened with they might be giants the same year with birdhouse in your soul! Thanks late night TV!
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  07:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was around 1997, i was 17. some guy knew about my obsession with nirvana. he lended me trope le monde.
i liked it, made a tape of the album.
later that year, death to the pixies came out. bought that. was irremediably hooked. took my time with the albums.
first surfer rosa/come on pilgrim. it blew me away. bought a guitar because of that album.
then bossanova and trompe le monde.
doolittle was the last one.
after a couple of bootlegs, i started looking for the work of one 'frank black', suposedly the former lead singer of the pixies. teenager of the year had 22 songs so i took it home...

Edited by - velvety on 11/02/2002 07:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  08:27:12  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

first surfer rosa/come on pilgrim. it blew me away. bought a guitar because of that album.

you and everyone else before you.

"It's the Nexus of the Crisis"
BÖCswu
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  10:24:03  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About 1995.

I was talking to a girlfriend on the telephone when "Debaser" started playing on her stereo.

I mean, I like Big Audio Dynamite and somehow over the telephone Frank sounded like Mick Jones. I dunno.

I didn't bother to ask what song it was, just who had done it.

Instead of Doolittle I bought Surfer Rosa.

I got it right a day later, though. Bought Bossanova and Trompe within the week.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  12:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to think that they found me!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

I bid a good-day to you sir!
Go to Top of Page

KingOfSiam
- FB LinkMaster -

USA
460 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  08:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1988, after alot of bong hits and a hard night of partying my friend Jason. Played a few songs for me.....the rest is history! Now I can't get Frank or the Pixies out of my head. Just as people say that pot is a bridge drug. The Pixies were my bridge music - they really and truly opened my eyes. And turned off my radio.
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  09:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all honesty....I can't remember how or what happened to me....but I remember someone telling me about this band called Sonic Youth. We sat and listened to Goo for hours and then followed by a couple listens of London Calling. Once that was compelted we moved on to Doolittle. It blew my mind. And as they say....the rest is the future!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

I bid a good-day to you sir!
Go to Top of Page

doolittle
- FB Fan -

France
2 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  09:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guy nolan, no offense, but even if you had written those questions at 4 am and completely drunk, i wouldn't have no pity for you. wether you assume those dumb questions, wether you don't ask them. it seems to me as simple as that ! i think you should have gone for sleep instead. i've got a bunch of questions for you : what is the point in resurrecting the pixies anyway ? have you seen the rolling stones lately ? what do you think of the "resurrection" of the doors with a singer coming from the cult and a bassist ? oh, just a last thing : do you really think that getting the longest answers is a plus side ? was it your main interest in asking your questions ? by the way, what was you interest in asking them ? anyway, thanks for the good laugh !

about the first time i heard about pixes, it was in 1991. some friends of mine had a small cover band, and they took me as a singer. as soon as they took me, they asked me to learn the guitar because they needed a rythm guitar to play a song. i bought a guitar and started learning this song. it happened to be "mr grieves". the other guitarist learned it to me before i could even listen to it, which is not the better way, i agree. since then, i've been a huge pixies fan. i'm also a big frank black's fan, as i love the breeders and the amps too.

doolitle
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  21:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Pixies story is a little weird. When i was growing up, id always hear my brother playing "cecilia ann" and the rest of bossanova when i was getting ready for school...at that time i would have been 9 or 10, so i wasnt a massive music fan or anything. A few years pass, brit pop comes along...with a brief fling i reject it as dull nonsense! One night I had a dream i was in my local cd store, about to buy a pixies cd...but i put it back thinking to myself id buy it later. Later in my dream i was going to buy it but it had gone, someone bought the last copy!! The anguish!! So I woke up the next morning, remembered my dream and went down to my local shop and bought Death to the Pixies. From then on, its pretty much history, a month had past, constant playing in my common room at school and with all the albums purchased with my dinner money, i found out about Frank Black and the Catholics. The day my girlfriend (ex now of course!) split with me! Do You Feel Bad About it was the flavour of the week! Hehe, but ever since then, ive been tuning people in to the pixies, from japan, america, scotland (shetland islands!!) and anywhere i can. Last night coincidentally, I had a dream Frank played in Shetland (my hometown) it was a big party, a holiday for the people and he was my guest...as he started he asked my what song he should start with so i told him 21 reasons. Ah well, I know thats one dream that will never come true :) but it was a cool dream anyway!
Go to Top of Page

RustyPiss
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  07:21:23  Show Profile  Visit RustyPiss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right well I got into Frank Black first when I heard 'Men In Black' on MTV one day. Bought the single, and forgot about it. Continued my quest into late 70's/early 80's punk with everything from Talking heads to The New FADS, etc... Brother lent me Come On Pilgram and Surfa Rosa on vinyl, didn't have record player (busted), so they sat dusting in the corner. Started buying Franks stuff (Teenager). One day heard some friends mention Frank Black, I was shocked as I thought he was an unknown artist. They told me about the Pixies Best of (Death to) and how Franks a god on it (they also told me not to go out and buy the albums as they're not half as good, how wrong they were). Bought, listened, listened again, listened yet again and loved. Suddenely remembered the stupid name from my brothers vinyl's (sorry I thought they sounded shite). Listened and well still listening. Frank has slowly taken over my life.

My Name Is Chip...
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  13:49:32  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found Frank first...had some friends who were going to the CULT OF RAY era tour and I went along and then bought loads of Frank Black and THEN the Pixies...Sufer Rosa first, I think. Now whenever people tell me that they love the Pixies but don't really know Frank's solo stuff, I always say "Frank IS the Pixies! Do you realize he wrote 98% of the songs??" Sometimes it works and I bring new Frank fans on board.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  09:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I saw the video to HCYM on MTV (during the day even!) when I was 14 and I had my Dad buy Doolittle for me from Camelot Music. When I listened to the tape, something was wrong with it. The songs were overlapped on top of each other and would start in the middle of the song sometimes. Something must have gone wrong in duplication. I actually listened to the whole first side because I thought maybe they were just a really fucked up band and HCYM was their only normal song. After returning it it quickly became the only thing I ever listened to. I had that tape on me 24-7. I even got my bus driver to play it over the speakers on the way to school (my bus ride took 1 hour - I lived over a mountain in PA.) Most of the other passengers were rednecks so they had to suffer. My driver actually played The Dead Kennedys sometimes also. He was fired before too long . . .
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  10:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johndietzel

I suppose I am biased since I did see the Pixies while they lived, but I would hate to see a reunion. Ok, not hate, because, barring severe brain trauma, I would have to trust Frank's judgment if he were to choose to reunite. But if he did it by legal compulsion or under some other similar type of duress, I wouldn't be too excited. Oh, and if it was anything like the Velvet Underground thing with touring on your old standards, as opposed to actually being a real band, I would be embarrassed for them.

Just a brief note: The Velvet Underground reunion tour was a squandered opportunity in many ways, but it was not designed as a way for them to coast on their old songs. The initial idea was that they would play a series of dates in the UK and Europe (where they've always been more poular despite having never traveled overseas when they were originalyy together with Lou Reed), which would serve as a tribute to their fans across the pond. It would also be a test run to see whether or not they could continue to work together as a creative entity after 23 years apart.

Unfortunately, the old personality and power clashes returned in full force and not long after the end of that tour they split for good. They were actually considering doing an acoustic set on MTV Unplugged, which would have featured a number of new songs they had begun to work on during rehearsals for the European tour.

The saddest thing is that due to Lou Reed and John Cale's extravagant lifestyles and almost absurdly high standard of living while on the road, when all was said and done, the sold out theatre tour (and several stadium opening slots with U2) wound up netting the entire group (including the relatively broke Sterling Morrison and Moe Tucker) a paltry sum of money.

They broke up for the second and final time with little to show for their reconciliation but a disappointing record that sounded like the VU circa 1968 through an expensive PA with Lou Reed circa 1993 singing along as if he was the star and they were his backup band.

Too bad for all concerned.

Which brings up an interesting point. Many people on this board (Ramona specifically) are quick to make statements to the effect of "Frank Black WAS the Pixies". Come on, folks... That's a really naive perspective, and more than a little insulting to the rest of the band.

Black Francis may have been (for many) the focal point of the group, but that project was clearly a cooperative effort between four and later five (counting Eric Drew Feldman) inspired and idiosyncratic musicians –as well as the always underestimated influence of Messers Albini, Norton and Haigler– and no amount of quibbling over who copywrote the most songs will change that fact. Please recognize that if you enjoy the Pixies' music, then you are enjoying the hard work and innovation of more than one person.

Happy New Year!

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  11:35:00  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was in this crappy foreign study program in England my junior year of college--1989. I was twenty. I was touring the cathedral in Bath when a friend snuck up behind me and stuck a pair of headphones on me from which Debaser was blaring. I think he thought I would be horrified, but then he had a mighty hard time getting the walkman back. I don't know if it was because of the stained glass windows or high ceilings or what, but it certainly felt like a religious experience. After the breakup, I faithfully followed both Frank and Kim but leaned more towards Frank's stuff. My husband's more into the Breeders and the Amps, so it kind of balances out. It took me a while to find FB & the Cs cause I had a baby and kind of dropped off the face of the planet for a while. I didn't listen to much of my music when the kid was wee-tiny (I was too busy just trying to get sleep in chunks bigger than 40 minutes at a time), but then I got the first two Catholics albums through BMG or something lame like that. They sat there for months and then I finally got the energy to listen to the first one. I remember hearing that Green Acres riff break down and mutate and then turn perfectly solidly into All My Ghosts for the first time and then I pulled my chair up in front of the speakers and played it over again. And again. And again. Man I love that first Catholics album. Yanked me right out of a long depression and I've been back to my usual rockin' self ever since. Thanks, Frank!
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pixies
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  17:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carsonwerner

Heard Where is my Mind in the movie Fight Club, and I just had to find out what song it was. Downloaded a couple others, bought some CDs. After that it was unstoppable, turned me on to Frank Black's solo stuff, and now I have all the albums.

Same with me. I loved the ending of Fight Club. I'd watch the credits just to hear the song, and it hit me that I could just go and download it, so I did. I was surprised to find out that they were an old band. I got Surfer Rosa and Doolittle first, and later I got the others, as well as the Monkey Gone to Heaven, and Here Comes Your Man singles. When Pump Up the Volume came out on dvd, I was surprised to find it. I saw it on tv years ago, and when I got it, I was shocked to hear a Pixies song (Wave of Mutilation, of course) in it. It was cool that I had heard the Pixies before I later recognized them and became a fan.

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.
Go to Top of Page

lucas buck
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  01:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was 13 or 14, it was '92 or '93 U-Mass was playing on the radio, then later on in '93 a few of my friends were jamming together and were playing I Bleed over and over. I was mesmerized. To this day it is still one of my favourite songs, and even influenced me to pick up a bass. Then a friend made me a tape with TLM on one side and Dolittle and MGTH b-sides on the other. Needless to say I nearly wore that tape out. Then in '94 we were amazed when we relized FB and Black Francis were the same man! I got into FB in '98.

Whenever I walk into a music store the first thing I do is look under P. (By the way, drawing the logo from the Alec single, was how I spent my high school years.)
Go to Top of Page

Leighroy
- FB Fan -

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  04:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1993 I was 16 yrs old and given a tape by a friend at school which included "Here Comes your man", after some nagging I was given a tape of "Bosanova/Trompe Le Monde" and to this day Im a huge fan. Few bands at all have ever provoked such an instant and everlasting reaction/affection as Pixies - probably only Dead Kennedys and Nirvana (for differing reasons) and they were also from casette tapes I was made/given in my early teens as well.

all the best
LEigh
Go to Top of Page

gimmedead
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  10:46:12  Show Profile  Visit gimmedead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've been into punk rock since i was 14, and then as a freshman in college my roommate would blast they might be giants and other obscure crap on his stereo ALL THE TIME. i hated it. but then one song caught my attention: letter to memphis. it was beautiful and i actually started to love it...as well as ten percenter off frank's self-entitled. so i guess i was 18 yrs old and the rest is history
Go to Top of Page

RobbieDestruction
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  02:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had gotten into the Pixies earlier.
I first heard them in 2000 when my girlfriend at the time put Gigantic on a mix tape for me. I assumed they were a girl rock band. I listened to it plenty thinking that, until one day she played a mix CD of pixies songs and I remember hearing Debaser and Here Comes Your Man, and I was like, "I thought they were a girl band." So then, I borrowed Death to the Pixies from a friend, and I just couldn't get into it. In hindsight, I can't figure out why. Maybe it was just to weird at the time. But then I randomly downloaded Manta Ray with a bunch of other MP3s, and it was on my playlist for a bit without me actually knowing who it was. Then one day I got curious, and researched it and found out it was a pixies song. So then I bought the BBC album, becuase it had that song, and I got really into it. Then I bought Surfer Rosa, and loved it to death. Eventually I bought all of their albums, and the B-side album.
Go to Top of Page

L. Barlow
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  05:04:28  Show Profile  Visit L. Barlow's Homepage  Click to see L. Barlow's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gosh some of these go back a while............it was the year of 2002 around this time last year. i was really big into the whole grunge thing and i was listening to some mudhoney, nirvana etc....later i was reading some books about nirvana and how kurt cobain said he was trying to make a pixies record etc etc....
up until this time i knew of the pixies but never bothered getting into it deeper, i knew none of the members but i really liked that particular tune at the end of fight club which i watched a few days after reading those cobain thingys. i found the song was by the pixies and thought 'well thats what he was on about!' that monday i went into hmv looking for some pixies stuff planning to buy surfer rosa coz i heard albini produced it (with in utero being my fav record and with where is my mind on it i reconed it would be the best choice). but no cds left until the new lot arrived....went back in to my workplace and told my colleage of my woe and hey presto it turns out he was a complete pixie freak. the next day he gave me trompe le monde to own for a few days and it was one of the few albums i get hooked to upon first listen. about a week later i own all the major albums with come on pilgrim included on the surfer rosa cd and plan to venture out into frank black land and breeders land, aswell as stock up on the b sides and bbc sessions.

i need to get a whole heap of frank albums and title tk yet...

;D
Go to Top of Page

Mr Grieves
- FB Fan -

88 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  05:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Mr Grieves's Homepage  Click to see Mr Grieves's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wepeel

i got into frank black the same way as JoseJones. weezer... well, the only difference was that this happened last year. i liked weezer when they came out. my sister played the sweater song a lot. i was 4. so, when i met Mikey Welsh and heard about the pixies everywhere i bought bossanova and it just started right from there. i'm officially the coolest 12 year old ever. ^_^

=wepeel

Huge Pixies and Weezer fan? You definitely are! That's the age I moved from pop/dance to Britpop - Oasis, Pulp etc. Heady days!

They got a ranch they call No. 51!
Go to Top of Page

Mr Grieves
- FB Fan -

88 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  05:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Mr Grieves's Homepage  Click to see Mr Grieves's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago my mate lent me Death To The Pixies. I liked it a lot and since there were a lot of songs off Doolittle, I bought it first. Then I got Bossanova, then Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim and finally Trompe Le Monde just last summer. As far as other stuff goes, I've got the Purple Tape, B-sides, BBC sessions and the 2-disc version of Death... in a really cool cardboard slipcase. Haven't got onto Frank Black's solo stuff yet, or the Breeders. I really must do that...

They got a ranch they call No. 51!
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Heart
- FB Fan -

Australia
176 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  03:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Brackish Heart's Homepage  Click to see Brackish Heart's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gee, i'm a bit of a late comer compared to you dudes,
A flatmate of mine from a couple years ago ("Don Eduardo" - probably posts more than me on this board), used to play Frank Black and Pixes pretty much as his only cds (he didn't actually have that many on orginial cd from memory) - used to annoy the shit out of me, the only tracks i remember are off the 1st self titled Frank Black & Catholics album. I just thought it was pretty cliched pub rock, nothing in comparison to other alternative stuff i was into to. Anyway i downloaded the Doolittle album of a network a couple years later and thought it was pretty cool - but not spectacular, i also heard Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgram and thought about the same, a few months later, for about the equivalent of $4 US (this is about December 2001), i picked up Bossanova at a clearance sale, and the 1st three tracks on the album absoulutely blew me fucking away. Christmas that year i got Trompe and FB. A few months after that i completed my set - and now I would have to have the biggest bootleg collection of Frank Black and Pixies material in this country - at least I've made up for it now!

I Love Your Brain Bootlegs- http://www.geocities.com/mr_stumbleine
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  19:08:58  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1988 (or 89) .....caught their here comes your man video.....wow, they look very normal and un-assuming (keep in mind that def leppard and the like were all over the tube).....anyways, pixies were very refreshing and welcome....

...and evolving from the sea, would not be too much time for me, to walk beside you in the sun....
Go to Top of Page

Mellzah
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  14:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my friends kept mentioning the Pixies, almost every time I saw him. I figured they must be good to inspire that sort of fanatacism, and the next time I was in a store I went and bought Surfer Rosa. I was hooked immediately. I love the Pixies the way I love the Smashing Pumpkins, which if you know me says a LOT.

And yes, my friend was well satisfied that he hooked me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000