New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2024 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've often wondered who the Selkie Bride is.

The song began, apparently, in the Catholics days (Jean Marie Walsh), before the Pixies reunion and prior to Honeycomb.

But it was officially released on Honeycomb (Violet Clarke era).

Then it turns up in St Nazaire - smells like spliff and Armagnac...(Kim Deal?)

So who do you think it is about?

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6142 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2024 :  17:33:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Absolutely 100 percent Violet if it's about a real life person anyway

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 10/10/2024 17:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2024 :  01:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quotes:
"I've been trying to record it for years, tweaking the lyrics and doing whatever I could to make it feel right. Then at some point I read some of the words to my therapist, and she pointed out that they actually applied to events and people in my own life. It was only when I viewed the song from a more personal perspective that it made sense to me and I was able to finish it."
- Frank on recording Honeycomb - Night Times. 12/06/2005

"Even Selkie Bride which was a song about the mythical creature. I started writing it a few years ago and it wasn't a personal song. I was never quite happy with it and I brought it up to my therapist, read the lyric to her, and she said, 'Well, OK, here's what's going on...you know who the Selkie Bride is, don't you?' And then she said, 'Now that you realise who the song is about, I think you can finish it.' And she was right!
- Frank Black interview - Comes With A Smile. Autumn 2005

If it's about Violet then there's a slight disconnect as at that time why would he be so sad about her return when their relationship was relatively new.

Jean Marie, yeah it seems likely, it was around that time they divorced. But as sad as it was (show me your tears, 13 salty tears etc) they could go on to do Strange Goodbye.

Kim Deal, it was around the time of the Pixies reunion. 'If you return I'll be the saddest man' - maybe being around Kim again would evoke some previously held emotions - there were always rumours about their relationship.

Or maybe someone else altogether. I'm just theorising, not intending to stir anything - just curious as to who the Selkie Bride is.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6142 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2024 :  08:00:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He went down on the Selkie Bride, I always thought that was a nod to When I Go Down On You

Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2024 :  13:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is he's using the Selkie Bride as a metaphor for trying to hold on to a doomed marriage, and the songs aren't directly connected beyond that. So Selkie Bride is about Jean, and St. Nazaire is about Violet.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2024 :  10:21:59  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I assumed it was about Violet, but I like Jamie's point that it's a metaphor for a doomed marriage. So that works with the song selkie Bride being about Jean and St. Nazaire about Violet.

I never assumed it was about Kim Deal.... I don't think any songs are about her. I know fans are fixated on Kim and that her departure must've plagued poor Charles... but honestly I think Charles isn't interested in writing songs about Kim. He's not fixated on her like some fans are.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2024 :  11:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles
I never assumed it was about Kim Deal.... I don't think any songs are about her. I know fans are fixated on Kim and that her departure must've plagued poor Charles... but honestly I think Charles isn't interested in writing songs about Kim. He's not fixated on her like some fans are.

Songs about Kim, Frank has either confirmed, hinted at, or I genuinely can't remember where I heard that about it, but:

Blown Away
You Ain't Me
You Can't Crucify Yourself
If Your Poison Gets You
All I Think About Now

And I'd imagine some others.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3083 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2024 :  12:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Others I've heard or theorized are Alabaster and Who's More Sorry Now

But I guess every song and not one single song could be made / not made to be about her
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6142 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2024 :  12:40:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Alabaster is the only one that I really feel is about her
All I Think About Now too, of course

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2024 :  15:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally forgot Who's More Sorry Now. Absolutely. I'd bet my hat on it!

Never thought about Alabaster or those lyrics. Let's see...

She tried to dance to super slow ball
She ended up in limbo solo

About Cannonball!?!?

Any idea what the idea behind the song is?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

990 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2024 :  11:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I assumed it was about Violet, but I like Jamie's point that it's a metaphor for a doomed marriage. So that works with the song selkie Bride being about Jean and St. Nazaire about Violet.

He admitted It's Aint Me is about Kim. Went searching for the quote but the bloody link doesn't work anymore. http://www.berubecommunications.com/html/frankblack.html - that was a great article where he went through each of his albums.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
422 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2024 :  02:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Maharal. Nice article! Hadn't seen it before.

You might need to copy and paste the whole thing because this forum thinks it's two separate links but this internet archive link should work...

http://web.archive.org/web/20160801004452/http://www.berubecommunications.com/html/frankblack.html
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2024 :  03:03:40  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't remember this one. This should go straight up in the Discopedia :
quote:
"I really like You Ain’t Me – the inspiration was, frankly, probably a little bit about a former band member [laughs] … I write it around the time of her big hit maybe I was feeling quite cult-ish – no pun intended. It was a combination of being in a more cult-ish place and growing weary of the music business and all the hands I had to shake. Not that I had to compromise the music, but starting with the Pixies there were all these worries about getting to the next level of success, trying to make expensive videos: ‘You gotta get on MTV, you gotta get on the radio’ … I never got into the business for that.

Any source for :
Blown Away
You Can't Crucify Yourself
If Your Poison Gets You
?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2024 :  17:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any source for :
Blown Away

Yes, the Pixies 33 & 1/3rd book. Frank says he wanted alone time during a Pixies tour and Kim followed him around and he was pissed off about it and she was in the hotel room right next to him and he wrote Blown Away that night.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  05:20:33  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
I haven't read the book. Is it worth it overall ?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  17:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Thanks.
I haven't read the book. Is it worth it overall ?

It's fantastic. I obviously already liked Doolittle, but it made me appreciate it even more.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000