Posted - 06/27/2023 :  10:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you noticed ???

++++

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2023 :  12:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hear it a tiny bit in places...but I hear more Manitoba?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2023 :  08:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely the segment that is repeated at the end of Surf Epic. No doubt about it. So the music is by Francis and the lyrics by Deal. Had it been published in 1993, would it have been credited to them both? Is it the song recorded for Bossanova Deal talked about? Very interesting realm of speculation and beautiful song. One day Francis & Deal will release a duet album, I'm sure about that.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2023 :  13:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, yeah you're absolutely spot on. I forget Surf Epic is so much more than the Dog In The Sand opening part. It starts just before 8 mins in on Surf Epic, I totally hear it now. Good ear you've got I have to say!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2023 :  15:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double wow, you’re totally right . It’s the end of Surf Epic with Kim’s lyrics. A lot of mileage came out of the track, truly an epic,

Wonder how many Breeders fans are aware of this?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2023 :  16:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooooow you guys
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  23:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good!
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2023 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you pull up the credits for "Go Man Go" on streaming services, they do indeed show both music and lyrics credited to Deal/Francis.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  05:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

It's definitely the segment that is repeated at the end of Surf Epic. No doubt about it. So the music is by Francis and the lyrics by Deal. Had it been published in 1993, would it have been credited to them both? Is it the song recorded for Bossanova Deal talked about? Very interesting realm of speculation and beautiful song. One day Francis & Deal will release a duet album, I'm sure about that.

++++

Excellent spot!

Based on the lyrics I'd say it's definitely related to the song Deal mentioned as being recorded for Bossanova. I don't have the quote to hand but I'm sure it's been reported that 'Surf Epic' has been around in some form since the 'Doolittle' era. With 'Bossanova' being so surf inspired it would make sense for the band to explore it further during this period. Based on Deal's quote I wonder if there exists a full version of 'Surf Epic' with vocals by Kim? It'd make sense as to why the lyric quoted as opening the unreleased song is missing from 'Go Man Go'. Presumably Kim later reworked the song.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2023 :  21:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, the 1990 Pixies version of the song now joins the realm of the still-hidden and should-be-released-one-day gems.
Obviously, it could not have been released by the Breeders in 1993 when Frank Black and Kim Deal were at war, at least in the media.
Was recording the Surf Epic suite in midi by EDF and then publishing it as a b-side a move to unable Kim Deal to publish her own version?
What was the state of mind of the latter when she recorded it? Did she consider it her own song? Did she like it so much she needed to record it with her own band?
30 years later, what's the signification of this release? Is it an attempt to tease the Pixies' record buying public? An attempt to show how good further Francis/Deal collaborations could have been? Or is it merely a tribute to a historical time when each other's ghost were haunting each other's work?

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 08/06/2023 23:08:46
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2023 :  00:12:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's a way to buy us the record again

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2023 :  08:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notably, the last time they had an opportunity but failed to release it (Last Splash XX), it was 2013 and Kim had just left the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000