Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  14:59:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I brought this up on the Doggerel thread, and said I'd share the story soon. I didn't want to further derail the Doggerel thread, so I started a new one. Here it goes.

I’m pretty sure I’m Bagboy. I can’t definitively prove any of this, absent a confirmation or denial from the man himself. But I can build a strong case.

As an added bonus, I’m sure I will inadvertently build a strong case for my confinement to a psych ward and possibly a lobotomy… but I’ve been carrying this around for almost a decade. The statute of limitations is probably up by now. Ideally I could file this away under "You're so vain I bet you think this song is about you," but I don't think so.

Of note: the underlying incidents here were all fueled by alcohol.

Timeline:

1. On December 7, 2012, I was really drunk and started a thread on the forum titled “Seriously, what the hell is going on?" The basic gist was a short, somewhat obnoxious rant about not hearing about anything going on, no new music. Entitled complaints about buying everything and being a long time fan, annoyed at rumors but not hearing anything solid, no new Pixies music, etc. It was a stupid, thoughtless post. But the thread garnered a lot of traffic, including a couple posts from BF himself saying something like “don’t worry something’s coming” and also mentioning he was working hard on the then-upcoming Catholics mega-box. The worst part was that there had in fact been new music relatively recently. I was just too drunk to recall. Further, I continued to make thoughtless, asinine comments in the ensuing conversation (not to BF, just in general).

2. Feb 12, 2013, my wife and I (well, then fiancé) went to see BF with Paley at Club Café in Pittsburgh, an extremely small venue. Paley opened, then BF. They also did a few songs together from their recent album (new music that I forgot about in my original post, btw).

3. Notably, I had a blue plastic basic grocery bag with me. In that bag was my vinyl copy of Show Me Your Tears, which I was hoping to get autographed. I didn’t want to just carry it around in the open, afraid the record would slip out or something. Or it would walk off. Didn’t have anything else to put it in and it was a last minute grab. I didn’t put much thought into it.

4. We stood directly in front of BF the whole show, like feet away. Could have reached out and touched him. I held the bag for a while, but at some point I just set it on the floor leaning it up against the short stage, and I recall him noticing me putting it there.

5. After the show, my wife and I chatted him up – just basic fan stuff – and he signed the record. He also posed with us for a picture. He was very generous and sweet.

6. A few days later I posted that picture on one of the threads here on the forum, probably in the FB Live category, and told the story of meeting and chatting with him.

7. Kim Deal quits on June 14, 2013 (I think)

8. A couple weeks later Bagboy is released. BF said the music was around for a few years, but the lyrics were recently written at a Starbucks

9. After a few listens I got suspicious. Then the second video was released, featuring a several of images of ribs scattered throughout. There also ribs prominently featured on the Bagboy single and EP3.

10. I solidified my theory and deleted the original thread out of embarrassment and shame.

Here’s what I think: he probably saw that picture of us while perusing the forum at Starbucks. Folks used to just hang out at Starbucks with a computer for the wifi. Maybe some still do but it was really common in those days. My theory goes that he saw the pic, realized who I was, who it was he was talking to that night, remembered the bag, remembered my shitty post from a couple months prior, and got inspired to write the lyrics to Bagboy. Sort of an "Oh okay you're sitting there at your keyboard bitching about me not doing anything while I'm busy pouring my heart and soul into creating a new Pixies album for people like you, dealing with a reluctant Deal, stressing over getting it right etc., well here, is this enough for you, jackass?"

To break it down, lyrically:

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings
- My idiotic blathering on the forum, read and responded to directly by Charles
I get no satisfaction from your very recent sightings
- My posting of and bragging about the picture with him and my wife
Cover your breath, Cover your teeth, Cover your breath, Polish your speech
- I was pretty hammered from pounding IPAs and had been stepping outside to smoke occasionally, so I have no doubt my breath and overall being probably reeked, plus I was likely slurring. Also, before the show, we were next door for a couple of hours at a a famous South Side dive called Jacks, which is notorious for it's extremely smokey atmosphere. So we both probably reeked like an ashtray.
Bagboy
- The grocery bag I had with me all night – “the boy with the bag at that show in Pittsburgh”
Like when I hear the sound of feet slapping on the runway
Like a small bird pretty while it's crapping on the new day
- Artistic phrasing of me shitting on his day while he was just trying to enjoy his morning coffee
So disappointed I was that I had made small talk with you
- Regretting BS-ing with me after the show
I'm not feeling your buzz I only smell your crock of stew
- Recalling my inebriated state and beer/cigarette stench
She had some beauty and manners but you look like a bug
- My wife was with me and also in the picture, and I maybe I do look like a bug. I have quite a forehead on me.
Migrations of their type are such good planners and not smug
- I was nice in person, if a bit smelly. I planned the autograph request, picture, etc.
You are proselytizing alone
- This kind of applies to any keyboard warrior
Listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated the tone
Now sat in your tract for many years
Picked up from dead things that you licked
- Several lines that artistically imply that Bagboy is naïve, unthoughtful, selfish, etc...
It's a feedback loop you can't evict (followed by the incessant driving home of the cover your breath section through the end)
- A dual-purpose comment on how he can’t evict the feedback loop of shitty internet fans, and a description of the new song itself as a direct feedback to Bagboy (me) that would be around forever, something I couldn't evict, and would have the noble distinction of being the first real new Pixies song since 1991 to boot.

Take all of that into consideration, along with the visuals of dancing and slamming ribs in the 2nd video, and the ribs in the drawing of “Bagboy” for the EP it was on.

It’s one hell of a coincidence if it’s not at least a little connected to one johnnyribcage.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/18/2022 03:43:48

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  15:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Applause. Bravo. This was the most entertaining part of my day. Thank you so much. I tried scowering the forum for the posts but while I found some, I couldn't find the picture. Can you link to it?

I also did not see any ribs in the animated music video. Huh?

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/17/2022 15:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  15:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for posting twice. Johnny I wanted to actually say something useful. You make music too so maybe you know all of this, but just hear me out...

So I'm a songwriter. I've written such mean songs about people I love. I have hate songs about my best friends. I have incredibly mean and angry songs about my girlfriends over the years.

The thing about a song is it's capturing a feeling in a moment. It's not a permanent feeling. As an artist you feel the feeling, you pluck it from the sky and you put it into a song. Then it may be over, or you may feel the opposite a few days later, whatever. But a song is not a biography or a press release.

Frank may have felt irritated by you or other forum members, vomited out those lyrics, and then literally moments later had a chuckle to himself and felt genuinely no ill will. That's just how art works.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/18/2022 10:04:04
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  15:55:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Applause. Bravo. This was the most entertaining part of my day. Thank you so much. I tried scowering the forum for the posts but while I found some, I couldn't find the picture. Can you link to it?

I deleted the photo around the same time I deleted the original post. I'm a little hesitant to put it up since it has my wife in it as well and don't particularly want her tied to this, but here it is for the sake of completing the story.

I cropped my wife out of the picture, although you can still see her eye there.

Also, here's the autographed LP. In silver on the cat. I had brought a silver sharpie since most of the art is black or dark, thinking it would pop more. But he signed it on the white cat, probably because thats just where he usually signs that record when asked.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/18/2022 03:44:41
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  16:03:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for posting twice. Johnny I wanted to actually say something useful. You make music too so maybe you know all of this, but just hear me out...

So I'm a songwriter. I've written such mean songs about people I love. I have hate songs about my best friends. I have incredibly mean and angry songs about my girlfriends over the years. I have sad and mean songs even about my fiance (don't tell her...)

The thing about a song is it's capturing a feeling in a moment. It's not a permanent feeling. As an artist you feel the feeling, you pluck it from the sky and you put it into a song. Then it may be over, or you may feel the opposite a few days later, whatever. But a song is not a biography or a press release.

Frank may have felt irritated by you or other forum members, vomited out those lyrics, and then literally moments later had a chuckle to himself and felt genuinely no ill will. That's just how art works.

Thanks man. I agree with all of that. I'm sure that's the case. Songwriting is a weird process that takes many forms, and inspriation seems to drop out of the sky often. A lot of times I have no idea where it comes from, as many songwriters attest to. I don't know what something means until years later, if ever. But sometimes it's obvious and right there in front of you. Charles has always seemed like a great guy from my perspective, and I'm sure once it was out it was a release and that was it. Plus they had lyrics to this cool music they didn't know what to do with.

And also, I don't care what anyone says, that's Kim singing on it. I can't believe that's Dubbs. It sounds nothing like his other vocals on the album. So if I'm right, I'm kind of immortalized - albeit infamously and maybe a bit ignobly - in a way by one of my favorite artists and one of the most important bands in rock history, in their original lineup, as their last song together.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/17/2022 16:06:43
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  16:31:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I rewatched it and there are fewer than I remember, but they're there. Right in the beginning is an actual rack of ribs that shows up pounding up and down a few times again towards the end, and as an artistic rendering several times in the one dancing skeleton mash up guy, usually on his shoulder. Years ago I pulled all the ribs from the video and from the EP and single artwork to make a collage for my profile picture on the forum. You can see it if you click on my name.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  16:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this. Are you the "Bagboy"? I can't say so for sure, but this theory is still very entertaining and it got me to listen to the song again with this in mind. I'm glad that you shared it.

On a comforting note, Frank himself has been beat up by so many writers. In half of the stories about the Pixies' break-up, he's the egomaniac villain. We all have our bad moments. We all don't always come off well. It's just a part of life.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  17:17:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

I love this. Are you the "Bagboy"? I can't say so for sure, but this theory is still very entertaining and it got me to listen to the song again with this in mind. I'm glad that you shared it.

On a comforting note, Frank himself has been beat up by so many writers. In half of the stories about the Pixies' break-up, he's the egomaniac villain. We all have our bad moments. We all don't always come off well. It's just a part of life.

Thanks man. Regarding being beat up by so many authors and internet commenters - I totally get it. He's used to it. Musicians (and any artists / actors / etc. for that matter) usually end up developing incredibly tough skin. But they're human. And this was more personal.

He actually knew who I was, met me, and had interacted with me on numerous occasions on the forum here. We had a great chat about the Golem when it was originally released, for example. So when it's more personal in that way, some criticism and the personal feeling of being duped by an asshole probably hits a lot harder than other situations.

I actually met him a few times. First after a 2003 gig at Belly Up in California, where we talked and I got my Devil's Workshop CD signed. This time. I think there was another one too but can't recall. He did another show years later at the Thunderbird in Pittsburgh, another incredibly small venue. I was hesitant to bother him due to my theory and all. I had decided to swing for the fences anyway and brought my original copies of FB self titled and TOTY (not in a bag this time).

I approached him after the show and chatted for a minute, then asked if he would mind signing the LPs. He looked at them, then looked at me really closely, warily, with kind of a weird look on his face and in his eyes, and he just said, "Um.. no, sorry I just... I can't. I can't explain it. No. Sorry." I'll never forget the look in his eyes or his tone of voice.

Of course maybe he just wasn't in the mood, or maybe had stopped signing at that point, or maybe those two works are so special to him he doesn't sign them or was worried I'd try to flip them on ebay... but I don't think so. He recognized me.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/17/2022 17:32:10
Go to Top of Page

nekom
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  17:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  18:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Johnny!

This was a fascinating post and a great read

I’ll definitely give this more thought.

I have a completely different take on Bagboy’s subtext that still makes sense to me, but what you put together is absolutely compelling and I want it to be true.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  19:16:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Thank you Johnny!

This was a fascinating post and a great read

I’ll definitely give this more thought.

I have a completely different take on Bagboy’s subtext that still makes sense to me, but what you put together is absolutely compelling and I want it to be true.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us

Thanks Bedbug! Feels good to finally put it out there. There has been a lot of ink spilled in speculation about this song, and unless I'm just completely out to lunch, in addition to being the equivalent of a confessional, I'm hoping I might be able to shed some light on this black box, seemingly cryptic song.

Maybe one of the admins that keep this site running will send this to Charles, like "Jesus man, check out this nutjob's narcissistic breakdown of Bagboy" and he can put it to rest, one way or another. I'd love to be definitively proven wrong, but if not I own it - the mild PTSD from the experience is long worn off at this point and I harbor no ill will - I mean, here I am, still here, still listening, talking (and probably spewing stupid shit that I'll regret later), and still buying every release that comes out in digital and vinyl form. I'm stoked through the roof for the Catholics vinyl reissue set.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/17/2022 19:25:06
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  19:39:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for all the edits. I tend to notice a lot of typos, spelling errors, and omissions in a thought once I post it, and I go back and clean it up. It's just how I roll. Bad forum etiquette, I know. Probably isn't going to change any time soon though!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  21:41:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That was great
You are Bagboy

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2022 :  21:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Herman Brood
Freddy Fender
John Denver
Iggy Pop
John Candy
The Three Stooges
Mose Allison
Alec Eiffel
Jack Nance
Peter Ivers
Ray Bradbury
Jonathan Richman
Robert Zubrin
William Mullholland
johnnyribcage

Honestly I think it's an honor.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  00:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing - I enjoyed reading your interpretation of the lyrics in particular! I wish the Frank Black Podcast was still running, could be a great episode of the "Frank Black Conspiracy Theories" segment.

I actually do have vague recollections of that thread!

Whether of not you are Bagboy - it's certainly within the realm of possibilty. If it makes you feel better, one thing potentially speaking against it is that Charles would have to have (a) seen the photo you posted in the live section, and (b) remembered that you were the same poster who made the critical thread (without avatars, I find it can be difficult to remember who's who here! Though if you had a back and forward with him in the other thread it's certainly possible).

If I were a judge I would probably dismiss the evidence of rib artwork (I think this would be too on-the-nose to ask of the artists involved), but I don't think your argument rests or falls on it.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 06/18/2022 00:54:29
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  01:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Like a small bird pretty while it's crapping on the new day"

Great image here. I acknowledge 100% that this is over thinking things, but I wonder if the bird is instead pointing towards tweets/twitter?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  02:12:45  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a nice theory with plenty of supporting evidence by the sound of it for sure, and whether or not it's true going foward I'm going to think of you as the original BagBoy any time I hear the song now. I'll hear it and chuckle to myself "oh I sort of know from the internet who the the original BagBoy this song is based on is!" and if any of my mates are around It should provide a basis for a bit of light banter. Many thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  04:40:12  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Great image here. I acknowledge 100% that this is over thinking things, but I wonder if the bird is instead pointing towards tweets/twitter?

Could be! I’m not on Twitter, and I’m sure there’s an extrapolation to other similar interactions in the lyrics. I think generally my thoughts are correct but there can be multiple things going on in song or even a single line of course.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  05:13:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

FBF was following me on twitter when BagBoy was written I wouldn't be so vain as to think he might be writing about me though..
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  06:04:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Herman Brood
Freddy Fender
John Denver
Iggy Pop
John Candy
The Three Stooges
Mose Allison
Alec Eiffel
Jack Nance
Peter Ivers
Ray Bradbury
Jonathan Richman
Robert Zubrin
William Mullholland
johnnyribcage

Honestly I think it's an honor.

Hah! I think it was maybe an honor for the others on that list but I’m not sure honor is the right word for my situation!

Edit - I know which songs (or albums in Brood and Bradbury’s cases) align to some of these (stooges - two reelers, Ole Mullholland, Eiffel). What are the other ones?

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/18/2022 06:07:31
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  06:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
John Denver -> Czar

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  09:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Herman Brood - all of Bluefinger
Freddy Fender - Dead Man's Curve
John Denver - Czar
Iggy Pop - Ten Percenter
John Candy - At the End of the World
The Three Stooges - Two Reelers
Mose Allison - Allison
Alec Eiffel -- Alec Eiffell
Jack Nance - I Gotta Move
Peter Ivers - I Gotta Move
Ray Bradbury - Cult of Ray
Jonathan Richman - The Man Who Was Too Loud
Robert Zubrin - Robert Onion
William Mullholland - Ol Mulholland
johnnyribcage - Bagboy

Mosh Don't Pass the Guy is about John Flansburgh from TMBG...
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  11:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed your speculation johnnyribcage it made for a good read. That said I don't believe that you are the subject of the song.

'Indie Cindy' was recorded September/October 2012, before both your forum thread and meeting with BF. Though Kim had departed the band during the Rockfield Studio sessions it was not announced until the 14th June 2013.

This doesn't sound like an isolated incident though. According to an interview in Q Magazine BF stated that acquaintances of his contacted him regarding 'Bagboy' concerned that was about them. The interview states: "I had to assure them," [BF] chuckled, "that the narratives in the song in fact predated their own birth."
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I enjoyed your speculation johnnyribcage it made for a good read. That said I don't believe that you are the subject of the song.

'Indie Cindy' was recorded September/October 2012, before both your forum thread and meeting with BF. Though Kim had departed the band during the Rockfield Studio sessions it was not announced until the 14th June 2013.

This doesn't sound like an isolated incident though. According to an interview in Q Magazine BF stated that acquaintances of his contacted him regarding 'Bagboy' concerned that was about them. The interview states: "I had to assure them," [BF] chuckled, "that the narratives in the song in fact predated their own birth."

I’d like for that to be true. I’m not sure I buy it though. There are so many ties and it it’s hard to believe it’s coincidental. And if I were him and were asked that in an interview (I’d like to read it but it doesn’t seem like that magazine has a digital archive), it would probably be easy to say what he said than try to lay out a more complex story, that would come across as petty. If my theory is right, he might have decided to just move past the song at some point, maybe due to bad vibes? Looks like that interview was in 2016. They had already retired the song by then. Last performed in summer 2015 according to setlist.fm stats. Granted, it probably was hard to perform live and get the lyrics right in the chant sections, since they don’t seem to follow and intuitive pattern.

Anyway, if I’m right, I wouldn’t want to explain that in a magazine either.

As for the recording dates, I’d have to do more research. I suspect a lot may have happened after the Rockford sessions. There was additional recording done at the Autumn Den and Sonelab. Can’t find any dates on those sessions though.

But I do hope you’re right.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  12:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's keep in mind songs can be about more than one thing or subject.

I have mixed together different exes into the same song. I've written songs about a person but then I'll take a detail from a DIFFERENT person and put it in the song.

For example, I have a song about an old bad relationship called What Does The Devil Do To Men Who Run Away? In that song is mostly details from that old 2006-era relationship. But I also threw in some details from my current relationship (I describe our current kitchen in it) because it just made things feel more real and worked for the lyrics and the rhymes, of course.

In the end the song ended up being about the 2006 relationship, but because of the newer details I melded into it, kind of (subconsciously) also became about me worrying if my current one is going to follow a similar pattern. And it all become a big blend of everything.

Possible Bagboy is in part about johnny, and also in part him connecting it to OTHER people he's known, and also in part him tying it back to some older stories or fictional people or historical people.

That's what I love about songwriting. It isn't like a TV show where a plot has to "make sense." You don't need structure or clarity.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/18/2022 12:30:48
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  12:42:43  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's keep in mind songs can be about more than one thing or subject.

I have mixed together different exes into the same song. I've written songs about a person but then I'll take a detail from a DIFFERENT person and put it in the song.

For example, I have a song about an old bad relationship called What Does The Devil Do To Men Who Run Away? In that song is mostly details from that old 2006-era relationship. But I also threw in some details from my current relationship (I describe our current kitchen in it) because it just made things feel more real and worked for the lyrics and the rhymes, of course.

In the end the song ended up being about the 2006 relationship, but because of the newer details I melded into it, kind of (subconsciously) also became about me worrying if my current one is going to follow a similar pattern. And it all become a big blend of everything.

Possible Bagboy is in part about johnny, and also in part him connecting it to OTHER people he's known, and also in part him tying it back to some older stories or fictional people or historical people.

That's what I love about songwriting. It isn't like a TV show where a plot has to "make sense." You don't need structure or clarity.

No doubt

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I’d like for that to be true. I’m not sure I buy it though. There are so many ties and it it’s hard to believe it’s coincidental. And if I were him and were asked that in an interview (I’d like to read it but it doesn’t seem like that magazine has a digital archive), it would probably be easy to say what he said than try to lay out a more complex story, that would come across as petty. If my theory is right, he might have decided to just move past the song at some point, maybe due to bad vibes? Looks like that interview was in 2016. They had already retired the song by then. Last performed in summer 2015 according to setlist.fm stats. Granted, it probably was hard to perform live and get the lyrics right in the chant sections, since they don’t seem to follow and intuitive pattern.

Anyway, if I’m right, I wouldn’t want to explain that in a magazine either.

As for the recording dates, I’d have to do more research. I suspect a lot may have happened after the Rockford sessions. There was additional recording done at the Autumn Den and Sonelab. Can’t find any dates on those sessions though.

But I do hope you’re right.

According to my research the only session after Rockfield was the one at the Autumn Den in Northampton, MA, USA, recorded by Mike Stitsinger. This session provided additional recording to the final mix of ‘Indie Cindy’. The session at Sonelab in Easthampton, MA, USA in July 2012 (as recorded by Justin Pizzoferrato) was a demo session (BF & Jeremy Dubs) for a potential Pixies release. Parts of these demos made it to the final mix of the record and 'Bagboy' is one of the songs that was recorded there.

I don't believe any of the things you did are overly unusual for a music fan. As for the ribcage, BF has said before he doesn't get involved in the art side of things regarding the Pixies. Ian Pollock, the artist who created the piece has used that ribcage in other pieces too...

During the Rockfield sessions BF painted a lot of Pixies related paintings one of which he uploaded in Dec 2012:

Clearly he already had the song and the title so it's very likely had the lyrics too.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  14:08:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that’s awfully promising. Thanks Jake. A big motivator for my posting all this was to hopefully be talked out of it.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/18/2022 14:10:28
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  14:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem pal. Happy to help.

As discussed in the Doggerel thread 'Indie Cindy' had some really nice, cryptic lyrics and 'Bagboy' is definitely part of that. Anyone else think there might be an avian thread running through it (feet slapping on the runway/small bird pretty/migrations/regurgitating)? Maybe just me?

The last verse sounds like it's describing someone who is going around saying the same old shit that they themselves picked up from bad sources... Or maybe it's just more playing on words regarding bad breath...

You are proselytizing alone
Listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated the tone
Now sat in your tract for many years
Picked up from dead things that you licked
It's a feedback loop you can't evict

Edited by - jake3 on 06/18/2022 14:53:26
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2022 :  16:04:07  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh good, I was worried it was about me.

They re-recorded the chant and simplified it for the album. It's a good song, they should keep playing it.

I think it's "crack of stew" and "migrators"?

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  04:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fairly certain it's crock of stew, as in ''crock pot of stew''. Also brings to mind ''crock of shit''.

When I was a teenager I waited for autographs from BF a couple of times and kinda cringe on it now. I remember BF at one point signing my shirt or ticket stub or whatever and fairly abruptly doing so against my chest with a face full of thunder. (Might have been the second of the Dublin dates whenever they were playing Doolittle in full and he was in a weird mood during the gig - talking loads (!) but seeming a bit pissed off.) It's all a bit silly isn't it? Asking someone for their signature? Makes absolutely no sense. Have had the chance recently to engage with John Darnielle (Mountain Goats) and Andrew Falkous / Falco (mclusky, Future of the Left) after concerts and while they're both heroes of mine I passed up the chance as I didn't want to bother them.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  04:31:58  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I passed up the chance to get FBF's autograph a couple of times because I thought it would come across as superuncool.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  05:39:37  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don’t think it’s a big deal, but it depends on the situation. If it’s a really tiny club and they come down off the stage and are actively engaging the fans, I think it’s fine and completely expected (by the artist). Club Cafe and Thunderbird (before they remodeled) in Pittsburgh have capacities a little over 100. It’s always real casual after those kinds of shows. Almost always the artist sticks around specifically hang out with fans, sign, etc for awhile. It’s not “expected,” it just pretty much always happens.

That’s the only time I ever do it. I’d never like hang out by a bus or a back door or a hotel or something trying to get one. And I’d never approach or bother anyone just out and about - like walking around or eating or something. That would indeed be superuncool.

And I’ve never had anything other than an LP or CD signed. A shirt or a piece of paper or something doesn’t make much sense to me, but an LP signed by the artist is pretty cool, if you ask me. Like getting a book signed by the author. It’s not that weird.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/19/2022 05:54:27
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  06:14:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to be all about the superuncool when it came to autographs. I think it's better when you get the chance to bump into the band at the venue after the gig and you just talk to them naturally like they're any other punter in the venue - that's the opposite of superuncool. Still gutted that I missed out on having a beer and probably sharing a joint with The Kills at Doornroosje, Nijmegen in 2005 - had work the next day so decided to leave straight after the gig - the venue photographer told me afterwards they were hanging around the bar with her (who I was kind of hanging around with that night as well)

I did have a slightly actually cool experience asking Kool Keith for his autograph when I saw him there too in 2006 - absolutely garbage performance but he's a going right back to the 80's but still sadly fairly unknown hip hop ledge - he was signing at the end and I was just hanging around. An opportunity to dive in and get a signing turned up though and I grabbed it - totally unplanned just pulled out a little hemp bag I used to keep my hash pipe in and I held it up to him pulled either end to make it firm and he wrote his name on it, then fist bumped me and then walked off the stage leaving me standing there all like: Fuck yeah, I just fistbumped Kool Keith!

Edited by - pot on 06/19/2022 06:22:00
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  08:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't thought about this in years, but the first time I saw Frank in 1996, I noticed that a bunch of people were gathered with CDs and other merch out by the club's side door, where the bands go in and out, obviously waiting for Frank. I didn't have anything to sign, but I hung out anyway. I was a kid. I thought I'd orbit and eavesdrop.

After a good long while, Frank comes out, sees the crowd and says something like "You all want autographs?". A few people whistled and called out in the affirmative.

And then Frank turned around and walked right back into the club! At first no one knew what to think, but after another long wait, people started to get annoyed and leave. I left. Message sent. Frank was not interested in this.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  08:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh I think about this topic a lot.

I also find getting someone's autograph awkward and uncool. But I think when you're a teenager those are the perfect years to do it. I don't think any artist is going to judge some 16 year old for wanting an autograph.

But recently I was waiting for someone to sign something...and it hit me that I'm almost 40 and it felt...stupid?

What I really want now from people I'm a fan of is a cool conversation, and a photo would be really cool. Because I take photos all the time of my experiences so why not of this sort of thing?

The other very uncool I do is give people my album (and I also used to give people a DVD of a movie I made.) I know they probably don't want it. But it's more special for me to know they have something I made than that I have their autograph. When we do interviews for my TMBG podcast, these aren't super famous people, but I give them all a copy of my album because why the hell not, I love their music and I hope they like mine. The responses are unanimously happy and supportive so I'll keep doing it.

One more cool or uncool thing though. For a while I had a sketchbook that I asked people to sign. And because it's a sketchbook they would do cool drawings and stuff. So that to me is cooler than signing an album or whatever.

I've never met Frank and feel super intimidated to do it. I tried to contact him to be interviewed on my podcast but nothing happened. I still hope one day. From past interviews he seems to enjoy talking about TMBG (I mean I'm not gonna ask him about the fucking god damn Pixies, that's for sure), and I'd love to talk to him about the music videos he made with John Flansburgh from TMBG directing.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/19/2022 08:40:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000