Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  14:32:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn’t look like we had a thread and the old Eyrie thread was revived for this. Anyway - I love the new track. And if there are 40 tracks (or more?) waiting in the wings, I’ll make a plug for my old wish for an all over the map White Album style double Pixies LP.

https://youtu.be/l7ofPSefhyQ

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that! Thanks for creating the thread johnnyribcage!
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  00:28:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who be playing the Arcade Fire organ? Do we have a fifth Pixie in the midst
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  01:48:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

EDF!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  03:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fact or rumour? (There were rumours he was into spacey keyboard players)
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  05:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know....I really like this song. It reminds me of Frank Black's solo stuff, in a good way. I don't know, it is somewhat of a "simple" song, simple structure and such....but of course it has that Pixies spin on it....I just love Frank and his crew...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  05:49:50  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by pot

EDF!

My gas and electricity supplier?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  06:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eric Drew Feldman sure looks like someone from an electrical plant

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  06:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked it the first time and liked it a little more the second time.

But not a tune I can see myself playing over and over and over
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  06:14:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Eric Drew Feldman sure looks like someone from an electrical plant

Don't remember him ever writing to me for a meter reading, no..

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I liked it the first time and liked it a little more the second time.

But not a tune I can see myself playing over and over and over

Same same. I like it, but it's not going to be played to death any time soon in my house. That's said, I am going to go and listen to it again now.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quite upbeat this really - would fit in well in the flow of an album, I'd say it's a track two-er or a three-er this one, but not an opening track. I reackon also it would sound even better as a demo.

It does seem to launch straight away into a catchy beat but when you get to the chorus it feels a little bit like a let down? That's not necessarilly a negative cristicsm though because there is no rule that says all songs must follow the same the chronological structure.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  09:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Same same. I like it, but it's not going to be played to death any time soon in my house.

This is how BTE is. I can't really explain any problems I have with it, but it's just not an album I feel like listening to often. The demo album though (which I call Beneath Beneath The Eyre) I constantly want to put on. I swear it's not just me being a hipster. I really think the songs grab you more.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  10:37:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually I think it's a Track Four-er owing to my previous criticism of the song structure.

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Same same. I like it, but it's not going to be played to death any time soon in my house.

This is how BTE is. I can't really explain any problems I have with it, but it's just not an album I feel like listening to often. The demo album though (which I call Beneath Beneath The Eyre) I constantly want to put on. I swear it's not just me being a hipster. I really think the songs grab you more.

BTE is the best 2.0 so far, I thought it was worthy of the title of Pixies album more than the previous two. It's the only one I want to go back to again after a while - and that's just what I'm going to do now. To the BTE Demoes I go...

..via the ethereal consonances of Daniel Boone
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  10:54:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good little tune
Nothing too special

BTE and the bonus disc are amazing
In totally different ways

This is a one off, right?

Like Hear me out and Women of war.
I like this one and it has the most interesting production
But those other two are better songs I guess

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  12:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the BTE demos housed somewhere besides that one podcast?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  12:48:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that I know of, I mean, they sure are somewhere on some hard drive of course
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  14:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Podcast? First they were released on vinyl. Now they are streaming. On youtube, etc. They were released as bonus tracks not long ago.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  14:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listen to the demos on YouTube all the time. I think this fits in well with that release. Would love to hear Paz more on the first couple lines, sing with FB on the first line and echoing on the following and a longer out-tro with Paz echoing again a bit would work well. Unfortunately I cannot unhear that when I am listening to this wonderful song. Lyrics are simple, but say a lot. Kind is better than nice and that gets lost at times. Really digging this, though.

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  15:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like "Human Crime" a lot. One of my first thoughts is that it would sound great playing over the closing credits of a movie. It's got that kind of energy to it. It sounds like the end of something.

Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  15:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My conspiracy theory is this is a simple song about everything that is wrong with society today. Listen a little more, don’t be afraid to let people know what you think and do the best you can to be better. Don’t be unkind.

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  15:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

I like "Human Crime" a lot. One of my first thoughts is that it would sound great playing over the closing credits of a movie. It's got that kind of energy to it. It sounds like the end of something.

Totally agree. You could say that about a lot of FB/Pixies songs, though. That would be a fun list.

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

My conspiracy theory is this is a simple song about everything that is wrong with society today. Listen a little more, don’t be afraid to let people know what you think and do the best you can to be better. Don’t be unkind.

Letting people know what you think is vital
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  18:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

Letting people know what you think is vital

Exactly, as is listening.

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  00:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time the song kicks off at the very start I am reminded of Bam Thwok!
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  05:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd kinda forgotten that Bam Thwok existed
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  06:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

Every time the song kicks off at the very start I am reminded of Bam Thwok!

yes!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  09:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

I'd kinda forgotten that Bam Thwok existed

One of the only post-reunion songs I truly love.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  11:40:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It clicked today
Amazing new song

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  23:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catchy song but the lyrics are fairly dull and forgettable. Did Paz write this? It's a lot better than Hear Me Out anyway. The organ is interesting - would be great to have EDF back on the scene.

Like TAF I never have much motivation to listen to BTE but maybe I'm due another listen as it must be a year since I played it in full. Would agree that the bonus tracks are more hard-hitting and I'd have them near the top of the pile of what BF has released in the last ten or twelve years.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2022 :  06:30:57  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a joint and listen to this. It's up there.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2022 :  06:34:15  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

Have a joint and listen to this. It's up there.

Listen to what Joey does. Beautiful pop Pixies. Brings back Bossanova but is its own thing.

www.guillermostitch.com

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2022 :  11:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys... are you serious? (I'm curious)
Where is YOUR mind?

I agree with some of you, the intro sounds like Bam Thwok.
Yes, the best recent prods from Pixies are the BTE demos. But this new song merely sounds like a decent Smashing Pumkins tune... and the video is atrocious... Let's face it.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2022 :  10:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The song is growing on me, but I still can't shake the feeling that he's writing (and the band is arranging/producing) Pixies songs hoping that a mainstream audience will like them as opposed to writing Pixies songs to freak the hell out of everybody. Or even writing solo/Catholics songs about his deepest soul and interests and feelings and not really caring if there's a "single" or not.

He's a great songwriter and his stuff is always enjoyable to me, but it feels like it wants very hard to be liked. To show Pixies are relevant or can make a hit or something. Does that make sense? I could just be projecting or assuming, not trying to sound like his heart isn't in it, because I think it is. I can easily see the Catholics doing a more stripped down, gritty (but still melodic/poppy) version of this, especially the verses.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2022 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mr. Foot. There have been a lot of 2.0 songs that feel like they are supposed to be liked or hits or something that people will want to sing along to at the shows ("Greens and Blues" comes to mind).

I think he was on to something with Bagboy, which, as TAF brings up, freaked a lot of people out. It seems like he has been playing it safer with the last two albums plus.

Having said that I love it all. Human Crime is fine with me, more please.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2022 :  04:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article says the storyline is based on an inside joke between Charles and Paz

https://www.jambase.com/article/pixies-human-crime-single-video

Edited by - Bedbug on 03/08/2022 04:49:43
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2022 :  05:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a 'nice little ditty' Charles once described some of his catchier or less intense songs. As a standalone single there's nothing wrong with it though I do hope the next album is darker / weirder / more challenging listen and less pop.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000