Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  03:13:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal
If you could combine the two albums into one reasonably-timed collection what would you include?

in fact, I have already used Audacity to increase the tempos on Graveyard, St. Nazaire, Hey Debussy, and Kate by 10%).

Wait... so when you listen to BTE, you listen to tracks that you’ve modified and fundamentally changed? No offense, but I find that to be kind of weird.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  04:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cue “Punk Rock City”! We are genetically altering FBF tunes!
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  04:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Also "Cyrus" is misspelled Cyprus on my LP :)

same here.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  10:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal
If you could combine the two albums into one reasonably-timed collection what would you include?

in fact, I have already used Audacity to increase the tempos on Graveyard, St. Nazaire, Hey Debussy, and Kate by 10%).

Wait... so when you listen to BTE, you listen to tracks that you’ve modified and fundamentally changed? No offense, but I find that to be kind of weird.

Wow that really is weird.

The only example I have of myself doing something like that is two things...there's a tmbg song that never really made it onto an album but then they put out some version that had this intro I hated. So I edited the intro out before putting it on my ipod.

The other one is a rare Morrissey song that had various versions of different quality, and one had an extended ending that I glued to a previous version where it faded out early. But these were unreleased songs.
Go to Top of Page

marce
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  16:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like how both albums complement each other. Love the rawer vibe of the bonus tracks!
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  09:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot
The only example I have of myself doing something like that is two things...there's a tmbg song that never really made it onto an album but then they put out some version that had this intro I hated. So I edited the intro out before putting it on my ipod.

I love TMBG, I'm curious what song you are talking about

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The song "Rock Club", previously known by fans as "We Love All The People."

If you like TMBG check out my crazy TMBG podcast! On all streaming services is here: https://anchor.fm/dontletsstart

Sorry everyone for going off topic...

Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  02:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I haven't really kept up on their latest releases. As much as I love them, they just release so much stuff it's hard to keep up with (and pay for).

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  00:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album is so, so good.

I liked "Indie Cindy" and I liked "Head Carrier", but this is the first neo-Pixies album that makes me not miss Frank's solo and Catholics days. It feels like the band have moved past trying to live up to their brand and Frank is just writing great songs like he always has. It sounds like the pressure is now off. It's a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  01:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you nailed it, Jason. And for me, it's the first time I've fallen in love with a new Pixies album. I discovered the band just after they broke up, so I didn't even know about their first five albums when they were coming out. And IC and HC didn't do anything for me, nor did a live show a few years ago -- I just didn't feel it. This album, though, has consumed me for the last three weeks. I haven't been so in love with a new album -- by anyone -- in ages. And it's definitely Frank writing great songs, and the band making them Pixies songs. So, so good.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  11:08:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am quite enjoying this new Pixies album I have to say. It doesn't feel like it's trying to recapture something or be something, it feels like FB. I guess genuine is the word here. It's the first time in a while that I've wanted to really dig into the lyrics, which might be my own bias, but I'm glad to have this and really do have to agree with Coastline here. I didn't dislike the previous Pixies 2.0 albums but I didn't love them either. I'm on my way with this one...

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  19:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I am quite enjoying this new Pixies album I have to say. It doesn't feel like it's trying to recapture something or be something, it feels like FB. I guess genuine is the word here. It's the first time in a while that I've wanted to really dig into the lyrics, which might be my own bias, but I'm glad to have this and really do have to agree with Coastline here. I didn't dislike the previous Pixies 2.0 albums but I didn't love them either. I'm on my way with this one...

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I agree with you guys as well. Just a really well made and enjoyable set of tunes from BF and the band. Joey shines for me on this one. The opener is the only song I actually dislike. It grates on me. But everything else is quality and rewards repeat listens. They crafted a great album here.
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  01:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick Ralphs, get a writing credit on Silver Bullet, but I didn't see this on the vinyl sleeve.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  09:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big guitar bit sounds familiar - possibly something they borrowed from a Mott the Hoople song?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  05:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still blown away at just how good Bird of Prey is. A top ten Pixies tune.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  14:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Still blown away at just how good Bird of Prey is. A top ten Pixies tune.

The opinions on this forum remain ever so diverse. Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2022 :  09:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I listened to Beneath The Eyrie and the demo album (which I call Beneath Beneath The Eyrie) three times this week.

I still have this strange experience with it. BTE is this incredibly accomplished work, with some great songs, it sounds really good, the album is thematically consistent with a great flow and some huge hits on it and a great ending. I love listening to it and have found it kind of addictive this week. I'm like good job, Frank.

Then that demo album comes on and it literally makes me cry. I just love it so much. I think it's the perfect combo of Frank solo/Pixies as a kind of new third thing. The lyrics are so interesting to me, Frank's vocal is so full of feeling and fuck-it punk energy, Paz sounds great all around, Joey is rocking the hell out of the joint, and Lowery too (sorry I don't know what to say about drums.) Frank's rhythm guitar leads the way and sounds excellent. However they set up or mic'd the guitars on this "demo", they did a great job. I still consider these 9 songs one of my all-time favorite albums and a top Frank album, whatever the context. I haven't been this into his material and moved by it (on all levels) since Bluefinger.

It's really weird. I guess it's a huge accomplishment that they can make an album this good but then simultaneously put out an album that (to me) is even better. Probably not easy to do for most bands.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2022 :  07:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I listened to Beneath The Eyrie and the demo album (which I call Beneath Beneath The Eyrie) three times this week.

I still have this strange experience with it. BTE is this incredibly accomplished work, with some great songs, it sounds really good, the album is thematically consistent with a great flow and some huge hits on it and a great ending. I love listening to it and have found it kind of addictive this week. I'm like good job, Frank.

Then that demo album comes on and it literally makes me cry. I just love it so much. I think it's the perfect combo of Frank solo/Pixies as a kind of new third thing. The lyrics are so interesting to me, Frank's vocal is so full of feeling and fuck-it punk energy, Paz sounds great all around, Joey is rocking the hell out of the joint, and Lowery too (sorry I don't know what to say about drums.) Frank's rhythm guitar leads the way and sounds excellent. However they set up or mic'd the guitars on this "demo", they did a great job. I still consider these 9 songs one of my all-time favorite albums and a top Frank album, whatever the context. I haven't been this into his material and moved by it (on all levels) since Bluefinger.

It's really weird. I guess it's a huge accomplishment that they can make an album this good but then simultaneously put out an album that (to me) is even better. Probably not easy to do for most bands.

Sat down with the band for an interview the other week (coming soon!). Couldn't help echoing these thoughts, and I think they were a little taken aback, particularly regarding the demo disk!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2022 :  06:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool - I look forward to reading it!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2022 :  19:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy
Sat down with the band for an interview the other week (coming soon!). Couldn't help echoing these thoughts, and I think they were a little taken aback, particularly regarding the demo disk!

This is crazy, because after posting that I had a kind of day dream about if I met Frank, I'd want to tell him this and ask about those songs, and wondering if he'd find that weird. It's like when I met David Byrne randomly all I could say was "True Stories is my favorite movie!!" (this was pre-Criterion release and it getting a new following) and he seemed surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2022 :  02:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seen the movie but its definitely my favourite Talking Heads album. Played it an awful lot of times back in day. Would love to see FB&C cover Puzzlin' Evidence.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2022 :  08:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy moses, see the movie. I can't even comprehend how those songs even work divorced from the movie. They are all about what is happening in the film.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000