!! 7 new songs !!

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  08:12:04  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn!!! Audio please!!!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  08:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing where they are in the setlist, those two newer songs must be acoustic guitar

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  13:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So 'Take a little more drink' is the same song as 'This is my fate of crucifixion'
None of these titles are confirmed
Very Lynchian atmosphere:

https://youtu.be/9_AFtroGqZE

Reminiscent of Nick Cave too

--

Edited by - sdon on 04/07/2019 20:29:02
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  14:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

So 'Take a little more drink' is the same song as 'This is my fate of crucifixion'
None of these titles are confirmed
Very Lynchian atmosphere:

https://youtu.be/9_AFtroGqZE

--

Awesome. Thanks for this. These new tunes really are a mix of styles. Gonna be interesting to see how it comes together.

Edited by - natenate101 on 04/07/2019 16:09:26
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  15:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Portland show last night and was sufficiently impressed with the band's confidence in the new material. The show was in front of an easy 10,000+ people (many of whom seemed there for Weezer exclusively). I was counting the new songs as they kept coming and also had seven in total by the end of the set. 7 out of 20 songs from an album that no one's heard and won't be out for months! Takes guts. Death Horizon and the Witching Hour one with that intermittent hardcore Cookie Monster delivery were standouts though they all were interesting and seemed to bode well for the new LP's chances to be something really good. What a show. No encore? I guess they were out of time and "Buddy Holly" waits for no band.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  22:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see them performing new song on this kind of tour indeed !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  23:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fully agree, almost bordering on arrogance (which I like...)

quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

. Death Horizon and the Witching Hour one with that intermittent hardcore Cookie Monster delivery were standouts

Cookie Monster song, love it! (presumably San Nazare?)

I have listed to Death Horizon (lots) and Graveyard Hill and San Nazare a handful of times. The melodies of all 3 are imprinted in my brain so I am going to stop listening to any others (at least until these Podcasts arrive).

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  05:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Descriptions of the new stuff range from Cookie Monster to David Lynch.

Must be Charles Thompson we're talking about.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  12:07:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was counting the new songs as they kept coming and also had seven in total by the end of the set. 7 out of 20 songs from an album that no one's heard and won't be out for months! Takes guts.

I for one say, "it's about time." The old songs are great, but man they're getting a little long in the tooth. Bring on the new stuff. 3 albums worth now, I say work it in. They can use a little of that Neil Young spirit. Maybe a 2020 tour: "Pixies Summer 2020: Just The New Stuff"

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  02:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

I was counting the new songs as they kept coming and also had seven in total by the end of the set. 7 out of 20 songs from an album that no one's heard and won't be out for months! Takes guts.

I for one say, "it's about time." The old songs are great, but man they're getting a little long in the tooth. Bring on the new stuff. 3 albums worth now, I say work it in. They can use a little of that Neil Young spirit. Maybe a 2020 tour: "Pixies Summer 2020: Just The New Stuff"

I totally agree.

Even though IC and HC are not my favorite Pixies albums (big surprise to hear I'm sure) I would love to see some setlists that are 90% 2.0 stuff with 2 classics and 2 obscurities. Dreaming.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  06:17:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yep. I haven't bought tickets for the gig in October for this one reason. I just don't want to hear any Doolittle song, like, ever again.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  07:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I totally agree.

Even though IC and HC are not my favorite Pixies albums (big surprise to hear I'm sure) I would love to see some setlists that are 90% 2.0 stuff with 2 classics and 2 obscurities. Dreaming.

I didn't buy a ticket to the NYC show because I'm tired of the older songs. If they did what you said I'd buy tickets instantly.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  07:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Percentage of fans in attendance:

who only want to hear the hits - 75%

who want to hear everything - 25%

who want to hear the new stuff plus the unplayed stuff from Bossa / Trompe - forum members

That's not scientific, just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  08:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying that new song - it reminds me of Violent Femmes with the religious imagery, acoustic guitar and snarly vocals.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  09:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Percentage of fans in attendance:

who only want to hear the hits - 75%

who want to hear everything - 25%

who want to hear the new stuff plus the unplayed stuff from Bossa / Trompe - forum members

That's not scientific, just a guess.

29th Nov 2016, Brixton.
All 12 songs from Head Carrier. Two from Indie Cindy.
Total songs (not counting one abort) = 32
New hit percentage rate 44%

Conclusion: Get yourself a ticket to London
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  09:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ this
London's their home town :D
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  13:01:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha yeah there is little doubt we’re in the minority, but I bet it might go over better than anyone would expect. Other than kids or others that only just got into the pixies in the last few years, I suspect most folks who’ve wanted to see the hits reunion shows have seen them at least once in the last 15 years.

Pixies 2020 World Tour: Just The New Stuff And A Couple Deep Cuts From Bossa and Trompe

Has a nice ring to it! Start the petition!

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  01:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New song on the private FB group

BIRD OF PREY
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327?view=permalink&id=2191910024211573

--
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  15:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

quote:

Yep. I haven't bought tickets for the gig in October for this one reason. I just don't want to hear any Doolittle song, like, ever again.

Denis

When I saw Pixies for the first time, in 2010, they'd been a band for two and a half decades and they'd been reunited for almost as long as their initial run. Kim was fat, Dave was balding, Joey was bald, and Charles was fat and bald.

Tickets were cheap, under €20. And so, the audience was young. (I'd later, in 2014, pay six times this amount to see Pixies in a theatre in Canada, sat next to a bunch of accountants; or at least, people who wouldn't be out of place in an accounting office.) This audience, thankfully, was boisterous and typically Italian. Few spoke English, but they all knew the words and sang along anyway. 17 and 18 year olds, moshing like the bundles of energy they are, not nihilistically, but jovially, like innocent hooligans. The band paused twice to repair the security barrier.

The average age in the audience, like myself, was around 20-21. And like myself, I imagine most of those Italians had never heard Pixies live before. It was a grand show. The stage sat in the medieval piazza of Ferrara, a Renaissance town. The piazza was like a little shoebox, boxed in on all sides by ancient brickworks: two-story apartments, a Romanesque colonnade, and the Castle Esne, with its moat, draw bridge, and grand arch towering over the venue. (The stage sat in front of the trees, pictured here: https://goo.gl/maps/gbqQtcmEGAs).

The band played like it was 1989. Kim laughed, her lips somehow never losing her cigarette; Charles roared, first with his guitar in Cecilia Ann and then in proper fashion during Rock Music (the show opened in Bossanova style with these two tracks); and Joey howled, backlit by an oscillating light (here's a recording from someone's potato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0OJR8k7TqY).

When I listen to Doolittle, it reminds me of the first time I heard Pixies, one late night in the college dorm room of a girl I had a crush on; she drunkenly bellowed the song "Hey" in an impressive act of seduction. And when the band played those songs at that show back in 2010, I like to think they too were reminded of how it felt when they wrote them back in the late 80s. That's the power of song, to transport you back to a place or to a feeling.

I've seen the band many times since then. Like the band, I've traded some hair for weight. And I'll admit, I've never gotten as excited when they play "Hey" as I did that first time in Ferrara. But you know, at every show I've attended since then, there's always another 17 year old bellowing their heart out for the first time. So I'm glad the band still plays those songs. Maybe they're playing them for that 17 year old, maybe they're still playing for themselves. I like to think it's both.

Edited by - tamefan on 04/10/2019 15:37:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000