Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  08:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look like what you would expect.

20 something songs, I assume because they are splitting the bill with the Weezer band.

Plenty from the first 3 albums, not much from 4 or 5, and then a couple from 6, several from 7, and a b side.

I was gonna call this thread "Uncle Frank's Band" because they do make me think of the dead.

Glad they're doing what they do. Hope they're having fun and everyone is enjoying these shows.

I will just keep hope alive for some kind of "Black Frank-enstein" Tour, where he performs an amalgamated mutation of all his music with whatever band of misfits he can put together.

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  14:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping they might sprinkle in a new song or two. Weezer's setlist is always heavy on the Blue album and Pinkerton. Maybe this was some sort of agreement made in advance that the two bands would stick to their repertoire on a consistent basis.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  21:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. No surprise except Gigantic which was a nice addition to the setlist.

I still think the omission of Bossa and Trompe is a terrible sin. But I can't blame them. Crowds would probably be bored to death by those songs. They pay their tickets to hear Hey and Where is my mind. The band understood that a long time ago.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  06:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like U-Mass is a favorite among the popular Pixies crowd. Sometimes Head On gets a nice response.

Ana, Subbacultcha, Velouria pretty much just get tolerated
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  12:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No new music thus far is very disappointing. If not for Wilson's recent update I'd be pretty depressed right now. Can't lie, the prospect of another Doolittle/Surfer Rosa heavy set has me feeling quite ambivalent for the upcoming show I'll be attending here in CA.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  21:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah but on the other side it is also cool to wait for a full album rather than hearing half of it through youtube/smartphone video snippets.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  21:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Yeah but on the other side it is also cool to wait for a full album rather than hearing half of it through youtube/smartphone video snippets.

___
"Service Unavailable"

That's a good point. Would be a cool experience. I guess the main thing a new song being played or at least worked on live would be a signifier that a new collection of music is imminent. Right now we are kinda stuck in a Pixies play the hits cycle again. If I'm honest, I'm kinda tired of the stuff they normally play and most of the new songs aren't strong enough to get me excited about heading out to see them. It's a bit tough for me to understand the band and their perspective right now. I'm eager to hear the evolution from HC . Hopefully Wilson comes through with another update soon.

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/11/2018 21:36:53
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  06:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put it to you this way

When the Pixies come to town I may or may not go.

If I hear that FBF is playing a solo show anywhere in the NYC / Tri-State area, I will drive several hours to attend.

I don’t mean that to sound snide. Just wanting the right tickets to go to the right people.

Then again, how many Waves does he have left in him? Maybe I should go to every single show I can.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  09:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were spoiled by Frank Black's extensive output post-Pixies, I guess. Not once did I see quantity sacrifice quality, however. I think he simply can't miss. How far in advance of Head Carrier did we hear anything off if it played live? It just seems like an awfully long period of time has passed since we've heard anything new (with the exception of the song from his one and only recent solo set). Let's hope Wilson might be able to provide us with an update soon. 2019 seems like a long time to wait for new music (Pixies or anything else FB-related).
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  09:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

We were spoiled by Frank Black's extensive output post-Pixies, I guess. Not once did I see quantity sacrifice quality, however. I think he simply can't miss. How far in advance of Head Carrier did we hear anything off if it played live? It just seems like an awfully long period of time has passed since we've heard anything new (with the exception of the song from his one and only recent solo set). Let's hope Wilson might be able to provide us with an update soon. 2019 seems like a long time to wait for new music (Pixies or anything else FB-related).
-oddball

Great points Oddball

The lack of b-sides is driving a lot of us crazy too.

The setlists look good enough. Closed with Monkey the other night which is a bit unusual I suppose and probably was a lot of fun
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  14:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm holding out hope for the two shows in the first week of August where they are not playing with Weezer. If we don't get to hear anything new on this summer tour, so be it. As long as Charles and co. remain motivated to explore/create new music down the road.

As far as b-sides go, I vaguely remember someone on this forum mentioning having heard Rats Alive. Perhaps that would have been a b-side, if b-sides were envisioned.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  00:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Pilgrim/Surfer shows were the placeholder before we got new material. As much as I'd like it, I can't see them airing new stuff as between now and the end of that 'next' tour.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1092 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  01:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aren't new pixies albums managed by "managers"? and don't they sometimes decide if new songs can be played live before the album has been released?
maybe there's a bit of that going on here?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  03:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I also am not expecting anything new to be played live any time soon.

The Weezer tour setlists look like Frank is committed to doing a good job at what he's been hired to do. No shame in the that.

The COP / SR shows should probably be nothing but COP / SR songs and b-sides.

That would mean no new music in 2018, right?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  03:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  10:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really feel strongly about it one way or the other
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  16:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe our best bet for hearing anything else new would be during a Frank Black solo gig. Who knows if anything like that might happen between now and the London dates later in the year. I still remember him playing Indie Cindy for the first time back in early 2013 at a solo gig. We also heard Classic Masher relatively far in advance (and Greens and Blues, Silver Snail).
-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  22:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember I really enjoyed "Please don't go" on his latest solo mini gig. I almost forgot we had that new song a few weeks ago. Time to listen to it again.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  11:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe our best bet for hearing anything else new would be during a Frank Black solo gig. Who knows if anything like that might happen between now and the London dates later in the year. I still remember him playing Indie Cindy for the first time back in early 2013 at a solo gig. We also heard Classic Masher relatively far in advance (and Greens and Blues, Silver Snail).
-Oddball

Did you just say "Frank Black solo gig"?!

Where and when?!
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  12:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I was referring to new material introduced during his previous solo gigs. I'm not aware of any solo shows on the horizon.
-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  13:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I was referring to new material introduced during his previous solo gigs. I'm not aware of any solo shows on the horizon.
-Oddball

Haha sorry Oddball, that was my attempt at humor.

Definitely would love some solo FB though
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  11:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They closed with Rock Music on August 5th.

That's a little something interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  02:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the tour is over.

Wonder what's next...
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  10:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably more dates will be added to the "Come on Pilgrim it's Surfer Rosa" tour... (theres already two extra date in mexico)

Head Carrier 2.0 next year ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  02:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see the stats for the entire tour, percentage of songs from each album, etc., even though we all already know.
Go to Top of Page

hickster9
- FB Fan -

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  11:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I'd like to see the stats for the entire tour, percentage of songs from each album, etc., even though we all already know.

Have you tried https://www.setlist.fm/stats/pixies-2bd6846a.html?year=2018 ? There are a variety of ways you can break it down. Of course it's only as good as the data entered, but can give you a decent idea of what's up.

I like cows, they go moo when they eat
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  11:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hickster9

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Have you tried https://www.setlist.fm/stats/pixies-2bd6846a.html?year=2018 ? There are a variety of ways you can break it down. Of course it's only as good as the data entered, but can give you a decent idea of what's up.

I like cows, they go moo when they eat

Thank you hickster9 that's exactly what I was interested in.

Look at those bottom 4 just for starters. Man it would be cool to hear more of those.

And Wave 54 times is a lot.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  20:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
54 Wave for 38 shows. I suppose they played the fast version and the slow versions a few times at the same venues.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  14:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked these setlists! Heavy on the crowdpleasing early stuff, which is understandable for a coheadliner tour, but with a few stranger selections as well. Any love for Bossanova sits pretty well with me!

They played Gigantic 37 times in 38 shows... imagine seeing Pixies on the tour where they start playing Gigantic again and it's the ONE show where they skip it?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  21:02:50  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure they played a lot of the old stuff this past tour to prepare for the Come On Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa shows this fall.

Edited by - yarbles on 09/26/2018 21:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  16:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. Looks like between Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa, there were only 4 songs that never got played this tour- Levitate Me, Oh My Golly, I'm Amazed, and Brick is Red.

I have to wonder if they're going to attempt the studio banter at the fall shows. It's an iconic part of the album, but reciting it could come across as kinda gimmicky.

Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  11:52:28  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping they don't.... it'd be weird for Paz to say Kim's lines.....

I'd be ok for the original audio of the banter to play while the band stands on stage, and then launching into the next song when it ends. That'd be a classier way to represent those moments

Edited by - yarbles on 09/30/2018 11:52:50
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  05:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Golly & Amazed were never played at all since 2.0 as far as I know.

I think Charles only sang Golly once at a Tenacious D gig. They did the "you fucking die" lines.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  07:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they do it.

Won’t everyone be expecting it?

Could be fun.

They should have Joey do Kim’s likes, and Dave do Black’s.

Boom and Roc should be interesting vocals wise
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  13:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switching the lines like that would be hilarious. Alternatively, hologram Kim!

Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  23:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Epic setlist for Mexico but I thought that was advertised as a Come On Pilgrim etc. show - is that all over already?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000