Page: of 22

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Used a VPN to hear the stream
Listened through headphones : horrible, muffled drums and lead guitar
Listened through the iPad speakers : great sound! I understand now what the mastering engineer did here : optimize for small speakers (probably also very good in a car). Once out of the speakers, the whole mix happens in the air : drums are loud, vocals distinct, guitars stand out at the right moment. Only the bass seems a bit subdued. Overall, great listening experience on such a bad hardware

Head Carrier : 8/10. I love this song, the complexity of layers. Heck even the very distant Paz is a good idea, creates a sense of wanting more. Almost Albiniesque approach of undermixing some things. Better than the Lisbon version to me.

Classic Masher : 9/10 Impressive pop. So clean and electric at the same time. Good speed too. Borderline cheesy but remains elegant. Melts into Baal nicely

Baal's Back : 10/10 unlistenable with headphones but incredible through a normal iPad output. Didn't expect that! Fizzing wheezing guitars, wall of bass. And BF screams as if under water, I'm shocked how good it sounds. The urgency in the vocal delivery is better than the Lisbon version (and Vieilles Charrues was tired). The only song where the compression is used as an actual musical effect and not just an audio effect. Instant classic. Punch in the face.

Might as well be Gone : 6/10 Unpixie-ish but interesting. Could have been on TOTY or as a surfy B-side to Los Angeles single. Seems to conceal more than at first listen. Outro is too long. Paz sounds a bit out of tune like Violet on Fort Wayne.

Oona : 9/10 I like the choked feedback sounds in the intro, the sci-fi line, the verse with the acoustic guitars strumming and the Blown Away way of singing. A bit of Transvision Vamp in the bridge before the chorus. That chorus is Between Bossanova and Cult of Ray. Very playful,variety and structure while keeping the song short enough.

Talent : 5/10 I agree it's better in the tracklist than standalone, but still a bit less interesting than other songs on this album. At least they can't be accused of copying the Pixies (or even FB).

Tenement Song : 6/10 the first chords remind me of Bowie's Let's Dance. Very powerful chorus (on an iPad!) vocal delivery on the (short) second verse is really good and poignant. Could be a great song live, but Paz will have to choose between singing words or ooh ooh's

Bel Esprit : 6/10 BF sounds exactly like All Around the World on the verses, warm voice. Chorus sounds a bit like it comes from Bluefinger somewhere. Paz sings with assurance, it's good.. The song overall is more creative than at first listen

All I think About Now : 7/10 WIMM parody! Not bad. The only song that reminds of Indie Cindy (guitars sound like Jaime Bravo). Fascinating how Paz impersonates Kim vocally even if she may not admit it. I miss some BF voice nevertheless.

Um Chagga Lagga : 7/10 Garage punk, fun, fast and furious. I expected the whole album to sound like that last July, but it's rather unique in fact. Reminds me of Holiday Song, Nimrod's Son, Vamos... Distortion on Paz's backing vocals is one of the best ideas on the song. Maybe Dalgety's. Well positioned after the previous song.

Plaster of Paris : 8/10 young and fresh, reminds me of The Jam. Joey's guitar is spot on. This song is unique in Pixie's repertoire. Will be a grower

All the Saints : 9/10 I just adore this intro. And then it's between Ana and Surf Epic (the 10 minutes ballad by FB). Has an Arcade Fire type of emotion too.. Too short!

Such a different album after IC! It feels rejuvenated, and a lot more experimental than I expected. Production is disastrous except on mediocre speakers which is a very democratic approach. BF's voice sounds very good, even if it's less creative than on IC, it's supplemented by Paz'

The album is too short and begs for a sequel

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 09/22/2016 13:13:29
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

quote:
Originally posted by benji

i can't listen to the stream - it's not available in my region apparently. why am i special?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

Me neither, but I note others from UK can listen to it. What sorcery is this?

Aghhhh I didn't even realise this. I was going to listen to the stream tomorrow. I am F***ING BEYOND FURIOUS!!!!*

*Capitals entirely appropriate.

PS Anybody know how to *acquire* a copy on the interweb? I am no longer familiar with the technical alchemy....
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprite
The album indeed leaked a long time ago
If you can't stream it from npr, try downloading it here http://uploaded.net/file/d79xvgn8

--
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  13:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my third listen at the moment, listening threw head phones and the production is......eh? It's definitely better than Indie Cindy but that's not saying a whole lot.

Overall it's a better album than IC. I wasn't crazy about Talent or Tenement Song but they just fit really well here and I enjoy listening to them more in the line up. The only ones that don't jump out to me is Bel Espirit and Plaster of Paris.

Paz sounds great on all tracks but why is she so buried on Head Carrier?

Classic Masher sounds wonderful and I can't get enough of Baals Back. It's clearly the song I'm going to wear out first.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Sprite
If you can't stream it from npr, try downloading it here http://uploaded.net/file/d79xvgn8

--

Thanks sdon, something's downloading slowly and not just ads for 'young asian girls'.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  14:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sprite

--

it's password protected
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

quote:

Sprite

--

it's password protected

It's been deleted!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  15:27:06  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok on to my second listen. It sounds more like the Pixies than a Frank Black album ala Indie Cindy, not sure whether this is due to the more punk rock feel or actually being able to hear Joeys guitars and Paz doing a good Kim Deal but in her own way. Definitely a fans album and not trying to be as ambitious and commercial as IC. Like all good Pixies albums it will take a few listens to grow on me but definitely see these songs slotting in with classic era much better than IC. This is the comeback album proper, looking forward to the tour. They have the spark back, I hope this is the start of a run of great albums. If IC was a 5/10 this is a 7/10. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are 10/10 on the Pixies scale.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  16:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I enjoyed my second listen of the album more than my first. I was underwhelmed at first but some of it is growing on me. I like Bel Esperit into All I Think About Now. Also Plaster of Paris is an interesting change up for a Pixies song. The bass line on that is cool. Talent might be the low point of the album for me. Baal's Back, while a weird choice in how it's produced is still a highlight for me out of all the songs. I think overall it's a step up from Indie Cindy.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 09/22/2016 16:34:00
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  16:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sdon,

Regarding the noticeable difference between the way HC sounds on even above average over-the-ear headphones and on tiny speakers, I too had detected a bit of what you mentioned in your last post.

I have not heard the stream, but was provided with the official 320kps MP3 files by the band's publicity agents, and had only listened to it on cans.

When I accidentally heard a bit of it through the small built in speakers of my laptop, I was surprised at just how different it came across, especially at low volumes.

It used to be that you would mix for hi-fi, as well as for car stereo systems (which used to sound like shit) and then basically split the difference.

Then, when people's car stereos started sounding better than the bookshelf bullshit in their homes, the hi-fi thing started to fall by the wayside.

Now that more and more people are Bluetooth-ing MP3s and low-resolution audio streams to wireless, battery operated - and often mono - speakers, I guess maybe that output format has become an optimum end result?

How bizarre.

I am curious as to what the vinyl will sound like - specifically as to whether or not they will do a separate vinyl mix and/or master with the tech specs of that format in mind, or just take the easy and cheap way out and utilize the CD master for the wax (as many acts and labels do these days)...

I love reading the varying opinions on which songs people like most, as well as which sound the most like "classic" Pixies.

The fact that there is such disparity between those opinions just within the small confines of this board shows the many ways this band touches different people and the myriad of reasons we are all so attracted to them.

Two things I would like to mention that I find particularly interesting about the record:

1. There are a few somewhat jarringly sloppy digital edits that made it through to the final mix, and while many folks will likely not notice them, they really take me out of the moment of the tunes.

One just sounds like a flat-out mistake that did not get noticed until too late in the process (if it was intentional and meant as an accent of some sort, it is cack-handed), but the other two seem like the kind of thing that - with a bit more finesse - could have been camouflaged much more in the mixes.

There are also scraps of tracking room (or perhaps vocal booth) conversations in the fade-outs of a handful of tracks. They are distant, and hard to make out, but I cannot imagine they weren't left there on purpose for shits and giggles.

2. I was rather floored to see that all of the songs on the record are credited for publishing purposes to the entire band (as "Pixies"), rather than to FBF, as has overwhelmingly been the case in the past.

The exception is "All I Think About Now," which is credited to "Francis and Lenchantin."

That means despite FBF composing most or all of these songs by himself first, he has chosen to divide publishing royalties in some manner with the other bandmembers.

This strikes me as a gesture which clearly serves to acknowledge the team effort in arranging and crafting these songs, and reinforces the notion of the entire band being a more solid, mature partnership than in the past, which can likely serve to promote unity and solidarity as well as prevent future fissures or simmering resentments.

Very cool.

I will be curious to see if such a publishing arrangement is a continuing feature of Pixies V.2.0...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  17:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like almost all of the songs just fine. It's going to take many more listens to appreciate more. Right off the bat though, the song Might as Well be Gone reminds of Imperial Teen if any of you remember them. This is a good thing as I think they had a very heavy Pixies influence. Head Carrier is great, Classic Masher also. I really, really like Tenement Song a lot it just sounds cool to me. All I think about now isn't exactly what I imagined, but Paz sounds just like Kim Deal on it, again it's a really cool song. I'll buy the CD when it is released, be able to really do some extended listening. All of my impressions right now could very well change.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not encouraging this, but you can find tbe album by a simple google search.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  20:38:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like that weird mix of Baal's Back
Reminds me of my 15 year old self scratching my head wheb listening to River Euphretes for the first time

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  21:16:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joey plays the Lovely Day-lick on the title track, doesn't he?

I was more impressed by his playing on IC by the way. One of the minor complaints that I have with the new record.

No Joey mania like What Goes Boom

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  21:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I'm surprised by all the BOSSANOVA comparisons,

To my ear, plaster of Paris could sit happily towards the end of bossanova. Super dreamy, great guitar lines. Joey is on fire here.

All the saints is very Havalina like.

And the the one about the eerie and playing the parlour grand sound very "is she weird" to me.

Great record, I got 3 spins before the NPR stream was cut to Ireland.
Go Pixies!!
I agree a lot of it is very unique in the pixies canon. I like that a lot. Whilst I compare similar sounds above, its by no means feel forced. It seems like Pixies for 2016 and that is such a joy.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  21:35:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bel Esprit is very Der Golem-like. Both in melody and imagery.

The Maharal, anyone?

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  22:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who want a less-crappy sound, you can try to "repair" more or less the clipped sound damage by following this tutorial in Audacity: http://blog.audioacrobat.com/2012/08/audacity-clip-fix-for-better-quality-windows-7/

Of course, you can't reverse the whole damn thing, but it gets better and corrects the insane clipping on some songs.
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/22/2016 23:07:52
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  22:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really love Plaster of Paris already. Perfect little pop song. Bass is fantastic. So different for the band, but it's catchy as hell. My kids are gonna get sick of me singing "You look like a Preying Mantis" all the time.
I'm very happy for the band. They can be really proud of the energy and craftsmanship shown on this release. A few years ago all of this was rather unimaginable.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  23:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enjoying the album.

lots to say, but does anyone think 'Oona, I will await destruction' sounds like a classic Nirvana refrain? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  23:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I really love Plaster of Paris already.

I think this is my favourite so far too, love the line, "I'll be the son, of the son of a son of a bastard" so good!
Fantastic song.

I love Oona too. Glorious eargasm!

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  02:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I like that weird mix of Baal's Back
Reminds me of my 15 year old self scratching my head wheb listening to River Euphretes for the first time

Yes, puzzling!

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  02:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Joey plays the Lovely Day-lick on the title track, doesn't he?

I was more impressed by his playing on IC by the way. One of the minor complaints that I have with the new record.

No Joey mania like What Goes Boom

Strange, I sense there's more Joey involvement on HC than on IC.
It's more naturally played, and mixed louder
Of course, there's no epic such as What Goes Boom, or Greens And Blues, but he's very present on Oona, Plaster of Paris, All I Think About Now, he totally solidifies Classic Masher, plus he was allowed to peruse the surf sound he developed on Bossanova

I guess Gil Norton constrained both his creativity and his sound, while Dalgety made him feel more comfortable, and has big respect for his guitar sound

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/23/2016 02:34:03
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

enjoying the album.

lots to say, but does anyone think 'Oona, I will await destruction' sounds like a classic Nirvana refrain? ;)

It made think of Wave of mutilation, and "named extinction" on Sad Punk

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  02:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

That means despite FBF composing most or all of these songs by himself first, he has chosen to divide publishing royalties in some manner with the other bandmembers.

This strikes me as a gesture which clearly serves to acknowledge the team effort in arranging and crafting these songs, and reinforces the notion of the entire band being a more solid, mature partnership than in the past, which can likely serve to promote unity and solidarity as well as prevent future fissures or simmering resentments.

very interesting observation, with promising implications

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/23/2016 02:36:23
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  02:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give this album a 7 out of 10. It starts off very strong with the first 4 songs, then it kind of trails off into a bunch of tracks that are all "ok songs" but never meets the strength of the start of the album. I am enjoying listening to it. What is definitely missing from the lesser songs on this album is Joey's guitar work. This is easily his weakest effort in Pixies, and I can't help but think his battle with addiction has contributed. It completely ruins the creative process in the long run. It also explains why his live work seems to be almost 300ms out of sync with the rest of the band, and why his guitar, many times is completely out of tune.

As for production, Gill Norton has been completely vindicated. The production on this album is has overly constrained vocals (Paz should have been louder throughout) and guitars that are way too loud at times. I guess they did the latter because Joey didn't have that many great riffs and they needed to compensate and fill the track with rhythm tracks to give it a big sound. That being said, the production doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the album. I actually rather like how Classic Masher turned out.

David and Paz both delivered on this album. They did a great job here. Songs that I dislike; Talent and Plaster. Talent sounds like a Grand duchy song. Baal's back and Head Carrier are both excellent songs, and I am enjoying Classic Masher more than I thought I would. Overall, it's a good effort and these songs, combined with the strongest songs from Indy Cindy are great additions to their live shows, which is probably the point. I would rather hear Indy Cindy or Head Carrier live than Nimrod or Tame at this point.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:00:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's good to know finally that Talent and The Tenement Song weren't some of the strongest tracks on the album after all. Phew.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the exact same thing about Joey. His work on Indie Cindy was indeed better. But it's kind if hard to judge because his sound is totally buried on most songs.

However I like his guitar on All The Saints. That's probably my favourite track on the album by the way. And, like other "slower" songs on the record, Dalgety didn't put a crazy wall of guitar layers in the front to muffle everything else below. So, you can AT LEAST actually listen to this song without getting an headache. It's a nice little condensed/surf tune. I totally see why some people recall Bossanova while hearing this. However, it lacks the little "something" that the Bossanova songs had that makes your hair raise on your arms. ("ride a wave"... "arizona",...). But it's nice.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Managed to get a copy of the songs (thanks sdon for le tip).

Very first impressions:
Feels like a proper album by a proper band.
Much more angular vibe than I expected (especially after hearing that snippet of the whole album the other day). But also a pinch of FB&C on a couple of songs.
Vocals (inc cadence) a lot tighter than IC (esp Franks). Much much prefer that.
Paz fits in like a glove. A lot better than I expected. I think her worst vocal is Talent. She sounds fantastic on all the others and the bass playing is great
Agree with the remarks that Joey seems subdued. I thought he was excellent on IC. Could be a first listen or a production effect

Songwise
Overall much more dense than IC (of course I might have said the same thing if I had heard IC all in one go..) But definitely some of these will need many listens (Oona, Head Carrier, Bel Esprit)
Faves so far are Classic Masher, Plaster of Paris & Tenement Song (which I really love). Of course all this will change
Intro of All I think about now reminded my of Interpol. Bass on Plaster of Paris is pure Andy Rourke which is a great thing
To my surprise I am buying into a lot of negative remarks on production. I switched from speakers (KRK so maybe not the best for a final master) to two types of headphones and kept thinking I can't hear it properly. But maybe the file quality was not too good as well. I have a funny feeling I am going to end up listening to the CD in the car a lot. Or save up for a IPAD.

Overall a strong 8/10. I hope the record gets the reviews it deserves instead of cynical posing. It feels like a great addition to the catalogue and hopefully the start of a new great run of records.

OK off for rounds 2/3/4

Edited by - Sprite on 09/23/2016 03:30:46
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

it lacks the little "something" that the Bossanova songs had that makes your hair raise on your arms. ("ride a wave"... "arizona",...). But it's nice.

___
"Service Unavailable"

some lines make that effect to me:
"From their seed I was born"
"Last line from the cephalophore"
"with a plastic crucifix"
"‘cause that crazy stuff got in my brain"

but there were more of such instances on IC ...

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/23/2016 03:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my third day of listening, still haven't hit skip yet on any song.

Has anyone else?

Also, in between first and second listens this morning I listened to all of IC. It actually made both IC and HC better.

If you can believe that!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the 'Joey is less present' thing is us reading into the record, knowing now that Joey was struggling with addiction (presumably) at the time of its recording. To me, Joey's playing is super tasteful and strong here. I would say he's the star of the record, actually. Listen to all the little tasty licks on "Bel Esprit" - the 12 string descending run, the ringing stabs low in the mix.

One of my least favorite parts of the IC was how Joey was playing his pedals more than his guitar (to me) - this corrects that balance.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I was thinking the exact same thing about Joey. His work on Indie Cindy was indeed better. But it's kind if hard to judge because his sound is totally buried on most songs."
___
"Service Unavailable"

How exactly was it better?
True, his guitar was buried in the IC mix, but we heard most songs live, and I don't really find he was at his most inspired when writing those lines

Joey highlights for me were:
- What Goes Boom
- Bagboy (seems effortless, but very Joey-cliché)
- Silver Snail
- Indie Cindy (though never really good when played live)
- maybe Snakes and Jamie Bravo, but those songs were not the strongest

I feel on HC he was overall more inspired / creative. But that was not at all my feeling on Talent and only a bit on Tenement Song :)

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/23/2016 03:57:28
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I would say he's the star of the record, actually.

One of my least favorite parts of the IC was how Joey was playing his pedals more than his guitar (to me) - this corrects that balance.

- Brian

fully agree on both points

--
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  04:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good album overall but it is definitely lacking some of that classic oddness. Both lyrically and musically. Someone on reddit made the interesting remark that once you hear the first thirty seconds of each song you kinda know what the rest of the song will sound like. I half-agree. Needs more weird twists and turns. If only Painter Man was a Pixies song.

Highlights are the first few songs (despite the restraining of BF's screams on BB) and Plaster of Paris. Might As Well Be Gone is very nice indeed. Disliked Oona at first but I like it a lot now. Reminds me of Magdalena.

Bel Espirit seems pretty throwaway. Going for that countryish twang but it's undercooked. Would substitute anything off the Golem for it. That said, this and MAWBG make me think Paz and Black (Paz and Baz?) could do a decent country album together, something like Neil Young's Comes A Time. Not feeling All the Saints at the minute but that could change.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  04:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

On my third day of listening, still haven't hit skip yet on any song.

Has anyone else?

Also, in between first and second listens this morning I listened to all of IC. It actually made both IC and HC better.

If you can believe that!

Does playing Plaster of Paris 5 times in a row count as skipping* :) I switched to my Sennheiser earbuds. Much better, can hear Joey now.

* Right now this track sounds better than anything of IC. Has a kind of 80s Smiths/Poppy Cure/Stoned & Dethroned/Jangle vibe. It's going to be one of those backwater Pixies pop ditties (Blown Away/Navajo/Ana) that I love forever.

Anybody else notice the short names of the two new albums are IC and HC which means the next one could be called Geronimo Crystal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000