All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Pixies in Ireland 2016.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  01:51:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.joe.ie/music/the-pixies-have-just-announced-two-shows-in-ireland-next-year/523903

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  09:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely opt for the Marquee if anyone's considering going. Great venue. Haven't been to Iveagh Gardens but Pixies just aren't suited to outdoor venues.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  00:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are probably right, indoor is best, but the Iveagh gardens is a beautiful venue. Really great spot for a show. Plus its in Dublin. I really hope they drop a new album soon and the show is based around it.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1094 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  00:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you have trouble choosing, go to both shows.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1094 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  00:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't go, though. it's a trap!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  22:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen them live since Kim left...
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2015 :  09:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen them a few times with and without Kim Deal. The show in the Olympia a couple of years ago during the release of the EPs was probably the best I've seen them. Then last year they supported Arcade Fire and (maybe partly because of the crowd) they felt a little flat.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1094 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  02:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i haven't seen them since the second kim left.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  06:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen them in eleven years. I'm happy with that decision, the second show I saw was a lot of fun, filled with some great songs and had Frank completely abandon the set list. Also had a 7min crazy Vamos and ended with Gigantic. Glad I got to see the original band when I did.

cheers

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 12/20/2015 06:10:44
Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  06:46:32  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen them twice since Kim left - and agree with The Marshal - the Olympia show was definitely the best - the sound was great and the band seemed to be in good form too.

Unfortunately i missed the boat on the Iveagh garden tickets (i saw them the last time they were in the Marquee in Cork) - and while i definitely agree that they are better indoors - there is certain romance in a summers day in Iveagh gardens!

Ps - if anyone has tickets to spare for Iveagh - do get in touch! thanks

Go to Top of Page

jay
- FB Fan -

Ireland
35 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  03:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chineselover

I've seen them twice since Kim left - and agree with The Marshal - the Olympia show was definitely the best - the sound was great and the band seemed to be in good form too.

Unfortunately i missed the boat on the Iveagh garden tickets (i saw them the last time they were in the Marquee in Cork) - and while i definitely agree that they are better indoors - there is certain romance in a summers day in Iveagh gardens!

Ps - if anyone has tickets to spare for Iveagh - do get in touch! thanks

back on sale on ticketb#####d

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  08:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waiting outside the Marquee in Cork now. I got me a headache though. Some BF screaming should sort it out.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  08:41:04  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take video of Head Carrier please! And the other new tracks as well ;)
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  09:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Waiting outside the Marquee in Cork now. I got me a headache though. Some BF screaming should sort it out.

Jealous. Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  11:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're playing the Iveagh Gardens here in Dublin tomorrow night, I won't be there, alas. I still haven't seen them live since Kim went!
Go to Top of Page

jay
- FB Fan -

Ireland
35 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  12:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

They're playing the Iveagh Gardens here in Dublin tomorrow night, I won't be there, alas. I still haven't seen them live since Kim went!

plenty of tickets for sale on toutless

http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24528&start=135
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  13:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha no videos as taking videos during gigs is a big pet hate of mine! Anyway the gig was damn good! Sixth time seeing them and for some reason I was tingling with excitement right before they came on despite being completely ambivalent before that. BF was in fine form - man, Baals Back really is something else. What a roar. Out of the new songs it was the one best received. I've been waiting on Classic Masher for years so it was weird hearing it all fleshed out when I'm so used to the solo version. I might have been the only one singing along but I think the crowd warmed to it by its end. Jead Carrier.. hmm it started out very much like something from the Fall (which is always a good thing) but then it softened possibly a bit too much for me. I need another listen. Great bass anyway.

Some really great selections from the older stuff. Loved Tony's Theme, Subbacultcha and Ana while the front people really got into the songs toward the end with a mosh pit developing (was scared my toes were gonna get broken). Dunno if BF was too happy with it all, certainly not with the cup that was thrown in his direction, but otherwise he and the band were beaming. Paz has installed new life in the band. A cool lady.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  13:25:00  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your live report The Maharal.Head Carrier you can hear again right now,look on the Lisbon show post.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  14:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I like.

Odd tonight that they only played one Indie Cindy track. Magdalena. Would have enjoyed one or two more.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  00:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also another thing I liked about last night was that they were less pristine than usual. Don't want to say sloppier as it was still fantastic, maybe rawer? BF's guitar was crunchier. He was adding extra bits to Cactus and a few others.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  01:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hear it too on recent concert videos, too. They play super fast, rawer, Joey makes ton of mistakes (and is even more out of tune than usual), but it looks like they're having fun. The new songs and most of the early material sounds really good. Paz voice sounds good on some songs, bad on others.

They're happy punks now.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 07/14/2016 01:14:37
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  01:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8GrxsVeAGM

Caribou/Tired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22VAGSklT0

(do Joey ever wash his bowling shirt ? He's been wearing it since the first gig)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 07/14/2016 01:25:13
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  01:57:09  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/here-comes-the-pixies-a-fitting-finale-for-corks-2016-live-at-the-marquee-744705.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  06:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Also another thing I liked about last night was that they were less pristine than usual. Don't want to say sloppier as it was still fantastic, maybe rawer? BF's guitar was crunchier. He was adding extra bits to Cactus and a few others.

I wonder if they can still be called the Pixies

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  07:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Euphrates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-7Xu7Mkh2U

Bone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8z_7zNVhXc

Monkey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQfQrIK84DI

Man/Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezDEdt-vbw0

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  10:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/here-comes-the-pixies-a-fitting-finale-for-corks-2016-live-at-the-marquee-744705.html

"classics including ‘Something about you’... ‘Hey HQ’"
, haha, what?!

Wow, they're doing 'Tony's Theme' again? And 'I've Been Tired'... they're prolly onstage right now, just a few miles up the road from me. Darn it, next time!

Edited by - Carl on 07/14/2016 10:46:42
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  11:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

"classics including ‘Something about you’... ‘Hey HQ’"
, haha, what?!

Lol, he probably went on Youtube to check and saw a video titled "Hey HQ"...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  01:49:26  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hotpress.com/news/17852018.html Iveagh Gardens Review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  02:29:52  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2016/iveagh-gardens-dublin-ireland-13ff3581.html Too many "unknown" songs here...hmmm.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  02:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2016/iveagh-gardens-dublin-ireland-13ff3581.html Too many "unknown" songs here...hmmm.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

One of them must be Hey HQ..
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  06:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was me thinking 'I'll just log onto Setlist.fm, all the unknown ones will just be the Head Carrier songs and I'll just fill them in and bask in the glory. Little did I know that there were far more Unknowns than that! I'll just list what was played in no order, but this is everything. Nothing too outlandish or obscure.

Caribou
Vamos
Isla De Encanta
I've Been Tired
Levitate Me
Bone Machine
Broken Face
River Euphrates
Where Is My Mind?
Tony's Theme
Brick Is Red
Debaser
Tame
Wave Of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Crackity Jones
La La Love You
Gouge Away
Rock Music
Velouria
Subbacultcha
Velvety
Indie Cindy
Magdalena 318
Snakes
Head Carrier
Baal's Back
Classic Masher
Um Chagga Lagga

The new songs really do sound great...genuinely can't wait for the album. As various folk have said Head Carrier (the song) has 'grower' written all over it, and Baal's Back is the Pixies song that folk who prefer the Catholics can definitely get behind.

Sonically they were really impressive, and I think a lot of that is Paz being a bang-on bassist...personally I don't miss Kim unless it's a song where the Kim vocal was a lot of the character (e.g WIMM...when I saw them in 2014 it was painful hearing the solo 'ooooh-ooooh' at the start...this they've fixed by opening with the acoustic guitar part...once the audience recognise that they all do the oooohs on their own).

Oh, and the Hot Press reviewer who said it didn't go beyond a drizzle is fibbing...it rained heavily during Gouge Away, and looking up into the lights to see the rain sheeting down as BF screamed his lungs out was quite a moment.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  15:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba
One of them must be Hey HQ..

Or Something About You!

Edited by - Carl on 07/15/2016 15:29:28
Go to Top of Page