Beacon Theater NYC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  13:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait. This Mon and Tues. The Beacon is a great great venue. Has it all: Great sound

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  15:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Have fun and for please try to get some audio of Super Lecker if it's played! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  18:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  01:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for allowing me to join your forum.

Here are my briefly annotated recollections from the past two nights:

5/26
In heaven
Ana
Wave surf
Brick (crowd stood here, had been seated up to this point)
Break my Body
(order might be wrong from here through Cactus)
Nimrod
Holiday
Ed
Cindy
Cactus
(order is right going forward)
Snail
Magdalena aborted (before they aborted it I actually thought it sounded off or something)
Um chagga (awesome, gonna be a good one)
Something against (prob loudest of the night)
Isla
Umass
Subba
Distance
Tired
Sad
Caribou
Snakes
Gouge (with nice long intro)
Bagboy
Grieves
Hex
Monkey
Face
Bone
Debase
hey
Planet (finale)
pantomime skit where dave says he can't play anymore and then paz kisses his wrist and heals him
Greens
Mind
Vamos

5/27
(crowd stood as soon as they took the stage)
Rock music (tease or abort)
Something against
Isla
Subb
Umass with nice long intro, thought it was going to be instrumental only at one point
Head
Tame
Boom
Grieves
Magda (really good, really good)
Sad
Monkey
Snakes
Cactus
Velouria
Your man
Ana
Mind
Nimrod (2nd half really slow tempo)
Greens
In heaven
Holiday
Cindy
Gouge
River
Tired (loudest of night i would say, awesome version)
caribou
Wave
Debase (finale)
pantomime skit but this time dave kissed his own wrist, they took a long time soaking it in which was really great
Vamos

Couple final observations and thoughts if I may:
On the magda abort, Frank held his hand up to the audience and said, "it's okay, it's okay."
On the rock music abort, Frank muttered "well we know we can't start with that one." He then told Joey just to pick something, and Joey picked "Something." At least that's the way I interpreted it.
It's so great to see Frank and these guys, after first seeing them in the 90s. Their energy is off the charts, can't believe. Paz is in as far as I'm concerned, really great. I kind of think of them as "Frank Black and the Pixies" or Charles and the Pixies, but that's just me, and I mean that as I compliment. He has done so much.
This is not a criticism, just a wish for an alternate reality: I would love it if he could just end the night with some obscure things like Bailey or Navajo or whatever, just instead of the usual closers. Again, not complaining, but would just love to see it.
And finally, another alternate reality wish would be to see the four of them drop in something like czar or announcement or whatever into the middle of it. how sick would that be?

thanks for listening. great shows. and great website you have here.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  01:30:39  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your review/report Bedbug.Welcome to the forum.Um Chagga Lagga that must have sounded amazing.I agree with you 'I've Been Tired' has been a highlight lately,always been one of my faves,one of the 1sts I tried to learn to play but nobody can play it like them.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  02:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the report Bedbug. I love reading these concert reports so that is a great first post. Seemed for a while that the only new song being played was Super Lecker (and even that not so much). So it's great to hear that a new one was added into the mix. You are so lucky to hear a brand new (unknownish) Pixies tune!!

PS How did you know it was Um Chagga Lagga, have your heard the Black Francis demo?

Edited by - Sprite on 05/28/2015 03:42:40
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  02:49:13  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspot.com/2015/05/ken-taylor-pixies-new-york-poster.html?m=1

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  02:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully a recording will pop up on YouTube for this one. Pretty hyped to hear what the rest of the band have done to this and whether they've fleshed it out at all.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  09:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you pixie punk and Sprite. Yeah, for me Um Chagga Lagga was one of the highlights of the two night experience. I've listened to the BF demo of it a bunch, so I recognized it that way. I haven't heard Super Lecker. I was really hoping he would do Cloud. Maybe he'll do it tonight at Brooklyn. I'll try to post setlist later tonight.

The song itself in my opinion was very thrashy. Dave went off, whole band seemed very jumpy / bouncy through it. Again these are all compliments. You could really tell Frank was doing that thing with his voice, like on Six Legged Man.

I was intrigued in that it came right after the aborted Magdalena, if they just decided to do it on the spot, or if it was planned? Like maybe Frank cancelled Magdalena and said to Joey "what should we play?" and Joey said, "Um.. Chagga Lagga?"

By the way, can I just whine for a moment and say it's a cruel irony that Frank Black and Aaron Freeman are playing the same night in Brooklyn and I have to choose between the two. I guess that's a first world problem?

Ok I'm done whining. Also, enjoyed opening act John Grant. Check out his song GMF.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  09:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank for the update Bedbug, appreciate the feedback. Hopefully we'll start getting some video footage soon - can't believe we haven't already!

Mixed opinions on 'Um Chagga Lagga' being performed. It's inclusion in the set suggests it's a strong contender for LP6, which I would hope wouldn't be formed by rejected songs from previous song cycles. In my opinion its a relatively high priority to include a couple of quicker (and/or thrashier) paced tracks on a future Pixies release, after the grindingly middle paced Indie Cindy, however I'm not exactly sure 'Um Chagga Lagga' is quite the answer to our prayers. It's a pretty decent song and better than 'Ring The Bell' but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Much prefer 'Six Legged Man'. I guess I'll have to see how it's been fleshed out. Pleased to hear the band we're pretty animated though.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  10:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a video has appeared!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_AP-O1GUkw
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  10:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, great timing - ha. Cheers Bunsen.

A couple of small changes with Paz taking up some vocal duties and a hard to hear messy JS solo(?) but a fairly straight rendition, I think. Will give it the time it deserves, but like I said before mixed feelings on it. Sounds very much like a alright-decent Frank Black solo song. Shouldn't the Pixies be more? or is that a harsh point to make?? 'Classic Masher' sounds stand out so far, from the Halloween demos, but 'Super Lecker' sounded like it had a lot of potential. Really looking forward to a full version of that one.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  13:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

A couple of small changes with Paz taking up some vocal duties and a hard to hear messy JS solo(?) but a fairly straight rendition, I think. Will give it the time it deserves, but like I said before mixed feelings on it. Sounds very much like a alright-decent Frank Black solo song. Shouldn't the Pixies be more? or is that a harsh point to make?? 'Classic Masher' sounds stand out so far, from the Halloween demos, but 'Super Lecker' sounded like it had a lot of potential. Really looking forward to a full version of that one.

I'm the same, so here's to them working it up a bit to add some variation to it. That said, I still think it's catchy as hell, just doesn't sound Pixies-ish to me just yet. Glad we got to hear it though, and I think the full band sound and Paz vocals enhance it. Kinda want Charles to dig a bit deeper with regards to lyrics though.

http://diffuser.fm/pixies-beacon-theatre-new-york-city-review-2015/
Quick written review and 10 minute podcast discussion on the show.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  15:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I'm the same, so here's to them working it up a bit to add some variation to it. That said, I still think it's catchy as hell, just doesn't sound Pixies-ish to me just yet. Glad we got to hear it though, and I think the full band sound and Paz vocals enhance it. Kinda want Charles to dig a bit deeper with regards to lyrics though.

http://diffuser.fm/pixies-beacon-theatre-new-york-city-review-2015/
Quick written review and 10 minute podcast discussion on the show.

Cheers for the link. Yeah I agree, it's pretty catchy, but very clunky at the same time - in a Svn Fngrs sorta way. I wonder if there is an element of Frank forcing it through the band because it's part of the Frank/Joey/Dave Gun Cotton demos and therefore tied with The Good Inn book/potential film? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  16:14:13  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d-ysimE8UA Taaaaaaaaame Taaaaaaaaaaaame!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah! very glad to see Um Chagga Lagga being played as a Pixies number. just what they needed after the quite mannered indie cindy. it sounds excellent.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  20:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feels good to hear new material !

Congratulations to the audience. Sleeping during "Something Against You" is quite a feat !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  10:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good review. The fact that the whole orchestra was standing the entire show was great. Energy! Paz really impressive with her bass AND bkg. vocals.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  10:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disappointed by Super Lecker and Um Chagga Lagga.
I guess Kim would have opposed those substandard Pixies songs.
Hoped to hear Classic Masher, O Little Cloud, and newer ones

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  10:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, last nite they played the King's Theater in Brooklyn. An old movie/performance venue that has been beautifully renovated. The pixies put on another fine show.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  11:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to dig out this clip Bunsen, nice one. In the comments the uploader says they only recorded 20 mins so they really picked a sweet spot in the set. Overall I'm diggin the tune much more than I was Magdalena and Silver Snail which were ones I watched live on You Tube before I heard the recorded versions.

Have you heard the whole of Super Lecker sdon or are you basing your judgement on a 50 second clip?

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  12:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only saw 50 seconds, that's true
But i haven't felt any goosebumps, which I felt for instance when I heard Big New Prinz for the first time in a vid by yarbles.

--
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  01:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that was a Fall classic. I can't say I got any major goosebumps either from Lagga or Lecker and I didn't get any either when I heard Magdalena or Snail and they worked out OK on record. If I had to choose I think I like the new songs better or at least they sound like there is more potential to them. They sound a bit greasier.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  02:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean Sprite
But when I first heard Silver Snail, I was hypnotized : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGotzgVDc3A
(Harrisburg, Abbey Bar, 10 Feb 2013)

--

Edited by - sdon on 06/02/2015 02:30:36
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  03:55:35  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey I like Um Chagga! Sounds like early Pixies. Great JS solo.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  12:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great Snail clip!

Edited by - Sprite on 06/02/2015 12:18:36
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  09:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really glad we caught all 3 NYC shows because they performed 11 of the 12 "new" songs from EPs 1,2
and 3!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  11:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that's interesting! Which of Jaime Bravo or Ring the Bell was played?
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither. All the songs fron EP 1 and 2, two from EP 3 and "Um..."
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  01:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like my literal reading of 11 of 12 songs on EPs 123 was incorrect :( Would have been very happy to hear you say J.Bravo. Still hearing songs off a potential EP4 is good compensation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000