Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Black Francis Live Setlist @ Radio Radio 10/13/14.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  11:47:09  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-francis/2014/radio-radio-indianapolis-in-53ccfb4d.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one helluva set list! I'm curious about these performances and the reasoning behind them?
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  14:33:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm ready for whatever the future brings.The Catholics Box,E.P. 4,new Pixies album,new Black Francis solo record or E.P. and a new Grand Duchy record if possible :-)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  14:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

I'm ready for whatever the future brings.The Catholics Box,E.P. 4,new Pixies album,new Black Francis solo record or E.P. and a new Grand Duchy record if possible :-)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Agreed, bring it all on! So quiet around here lately.

I'd prefer more Pixies, always, but new Frank Black music in this moment would be very intriguing. Just want to see what those demos mentioned are all about. I think it's tough for many to adjust to his current release pace, which has slowed to a crawl relative to his previous standards. But I guess all things Pixies really take you off into another direction.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  17:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

That's one helluva set list! I'm curious about these performances and the reasoning behind them?

If these are solo shows (meaning, no band), that's something that Frank has always liked to do. He was doing them in the 80s in between Pixies tours and has continued to play shows like that, from small tours to one-offs here and there, through all phases of his career since. I think he just likes to perform. I wouldn't read anything into it.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  21:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

If these are solo shows (meaning, no band), that's something that Frank has always liked to do. He was doing them in the 80s in between Pixies tours and has continued to play shows like that, from small tours to one-offs here and there, through all phases of his career since. I think he just likes to perform. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see these recent Black Francis solo setlists and I think to myself, Whatever Happened to Classic Masher? That needs to show up in some awesome recorded form somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  23:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I see these recent Black Francis solo setlists and I think to myself, Whatever Happened to Classic Masher? That needs to show up in some awesome recorded form somewhere.

A question of taste, of course, but I still don't get what's so special about that song. It doesn't have a single melodic hook or interesting chord change. BF singing 'he's a Classic Masher!', the name of the song is great, but besides that, the rest of the song is, maybe, well, kind of boring?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  08:25:33  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Must be a matter of taste because that vocal line has been stuck in my head for two years since i heard him sing it at a solo show in LA. Very catchy, melodic, and memorable. And imagining Joey, Dave, and Paz adding their touches to it would only make it better.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  09:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree. Classic Masher is one of the strongest. Didn't he performed it once with Kim Shattuck ? (On a solo show)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/18/2014 09:50:39
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  10:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes he did, that was the first time I saw Kim S.
http://youtu.be/L-ZSi5_qGXI

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  13:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Must be a matter of taste because that vocal line has been stuck in my head for two years since i heard him sing it at a solo show in LA. Very catchy, melodic, and memorable. And imagining Joey, Dave, and Paz adding their touches to it would only make it better.

Can't see it as a Pixies song at all, but Indy Cindy has lots of mid-tempo songs, I guess they would consider it. It sounds to me more like a distant cousin of some of his Catholics or solo stuff?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could see it sounding something along the lines of Ring the Bell, Jaime Bravo, or Women of War.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  22:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, it sounds a bit like I Heard Ramona Sing
But I hope they'll make it less soft than some of Indie Cindy tracks, more in the vein of Dead Man's Curve (demo)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  14:17:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfinder.com/2014/10/17/pixies-front-man-black-francis-plays-radio-radio/ Review & Photos.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000