Surprise show in Pittsburgh 10/14
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  12:23:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really under the radar on this one it seems - a buddy of mine just randomly and luckily saw it, but it's pretty quiet. It's at this funky dive called The Thunderbird. If you're in the area you can link to buy tickets from their website. Should be a good time - solo shows are always awesome!

My density has popped me to you.

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  08:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billed as BF or FB?

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  10:48:18  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.thunderbirdcafe.net/showdetails.php?eventID=1267
bf

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  14:25:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interestingly the description of the show is from back during the Doolittle tour when he did a stretch of solo shows. I have no idea but my wild guess is he is laying over in Pittsburgh on his way home after the Pixies tour wraps and decided fuck it, I'll do a gig in Pittsburgh. Just a hunch. He usually plays Club Cafe when he's in town but I bet they were booked already, they usually fill up a few months out. The Thunderbird is an interesting place to see a show. Two floors, more dive bar than venue, although plenty of well known indie bands have played there through the years. Looking forward to it!

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  03:20:59  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/09/black_francis_d.html In case anybody hasn't seen the other B.F. Solo dates.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  03:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://m.tinymixtapes.com/news/black-francis-announces-october-dates
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  06:48:34  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that blows my theory out of the water! Hah pretty sweet.

Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  23:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tickets are still available for this one, as of yesterday afternoon. Grabbed an extra ticket, was pleased but a little surprised to find this show hasn't sold out. Is there very little promotion happening locally?

So excited to see this, though... it's been too long!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  15:28:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'm a little blown away you still got a ticket. Should be interesting to see how many people they are planning on jamming in there. There is essentially zero marketing going on though.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any news / report?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  16:29:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a good show, and interesting. There were a lot of songs from Teenager and a few from Orange as well, lots of catholics stuff. It was a good mix. He seemed really... I guess road weary would be the description. Just my perception though. He was acting a little loopy for the first half hour or so, but seemed like he was enjoying himself for the most part, and the crowd was enjoying the asides and off-beat humor.

He opened with Bullet and afterwards said, "speaking of the son replacing the father..." and went on to explain that he was excited that his son was starting a band so he could finally stop 'doing this fucking shit' (touring? music in general?) or something to that effect. He followed that by saying it wouldn't be a sudden thing, but gradually winding down or something. I can't remember exactly. There was no doubt that he was serious though. At least at that moment. Once the tele came out though things really took off, he seemed to settle in, and the setlist was very rapid fire and high energy.

A particular highlight (maybe THE highlight) was a performance of O Little Cloud, one of the unheard tracks from the famous Rice and Beans list. It was very cool, a mid to low tempo song that, if I recall, had a bit of a shuffle feel. It definitely had a neat groove. If I had to liken it to any of the newer stuff I guess it maybe recalled a bit of the vibe of Silver Snail, but only in the vocal delivery. I can't remember a heck of a lot about it now but it was very cool and I'm looking forward to hearing the band play it.

The show ended with an a cappella medley of Subbaculture, New House of the Pope, 666, and maybe something else, during which he painted his face with a lot of black makeup that started running everywhere. I usually try to hang around to get an LP autographed and in the past he's always obliged, but he wasn't in the mood to mingle, they just packed up and hit the road. Maybe I rubbed him the wrong way. Said he was sorry but no he couldn't and that it was hard to explain why. I dunno. They had just driven in from Indianapolis (through a fucking actual tornado in Ohio) and had to be in Hudson, NY the next night (tonight), so I imagine they were already beat and just dreading the long drive ahead. That's got to be grueling as hell, particularly coming off such a long Pixies world tour. I'm not sure how he does it. I'm not sure how any musician does it for that matter.

So all in all, a good, intimate show. Oh and they banned smoking at the Thunderbird finally and thank god. That place used to be an absolute ashtray and I wasn't looking forward to hanging out in a thick cloud all night. Even back in my smoking days I didn't care for it, but since I quit a few years back it's basically intolerable for me.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/15/2014 16:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1092 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  21:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the report, johnny.

some artists simply have nights where they don't want to sign anything. it's not that uncommon. maybe he just saw another autograph show up on ebay?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  01:08:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah no doubt, just part of my report. I don't understand people who get things signed to sell. BF is my favorite living artist so I just like having it for myself. I always like to show off my signed Pistolero and SMYT LPs to fellow fans.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1092 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  01:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also don't get people who buy signed things off people who got it signed to sell.
why would anyone do that?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  02:26:41  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charity.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  18:12:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh hey I realized I forgot to mention he was with Reid Paley again. Reid was great as usual, doing his thing.

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  04:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

thanks for the report, johnny.

some artists simply have nights where they don't want to sign anything. it's not that uncommon. maybe he just saw another autograph show up on ebay?

it's educational

maybe the 3500 autographs for the kickstarter book was enough for the year...

i personally collect autographs but for the same reason as JRC - just to have and share. i actually try to get them presonalised if the person is willing, sometimes backfires when they spell my name wrong - Jon v John....stupid "h". i also like going to book signings, havent done a lot of it in the last few years and have to admit i know the gf is getting me a signed Billy Idol book off ebay for xmas, i'll act surprised....

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1062 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  04:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

He opened with Bullet and afterwards said, "speaking of the son replacing the father..." and went on to explain that he was excited that his son was starting a band so he could finally stop 'doing this fucking shit' (touring? music in general?) or something to that effect. He followed that by saying it wouldn't be a sudden thing, but gradually winding down or something. I can't remember exactly. There was no doubt that he was serious though. At least at that moment. Once the tele came out though things really took off, he seemed to settle in, and the setlist was very rapid fire and high energy.

After nearly 30 years of touring every year or two its not surprising, its difficult to name another artist so dedicated to performing live.

Im sure even De Niro would get bummed having to re-enact Taxi Driver and Raging Bull on stage (for a poor example) with such frequency and ferocity.

I hope it's a long time away before he leaves the stage, because in terms of quality and quantity it doesnt get much better than an FB/ BF, Catholics or Pixies show.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000