New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeanWatts
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  13:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, the first time I heard Tossed I was blown away, such an excellent instrumental, and I'm wondering if anybody has any general information about the song? Why it wasn't recorded with vocals etc, I've heard the live version with vocals on the No Big Deal bootleg and it's excellent, but aside from that there's nothing on the internet about it! Anything at all would be appreciated.

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got nuth. But intriguified.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  19:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tossed is a great song but though I've heard of a version with vocals I've never heard it myself.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  09:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The discarded lyrics of "Tossed" depicted a world where everything is upside down, and turmoil is reigning. Only one man stands up against the chaos and disorder - Mr.Tossed!

(It was something like that I read in a post on exactly this topic many years ago, and this post concluded with "I'm only kidding - I made this up". But this great idea stuck in my head for all that time so I'm happy to bring it up again!)

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  10:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess would be that Frank intended to make a version with lyrics(maybe with a melody on mind for the vocals already) but couldn't come with words he liked by the time of the recording. I see the live version with lyrics as an attempt to give it a shot but he probably got busy with something else quickly after thus discarding the "completion" of the song. Hey, I had never thought of that but writing this I just realized maybe one fine day in a distant future we'll see the Tossed lyrics version happen like Velvety unexpectedly returned on a Catholics album so many years after the original Pixies version.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  13:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Performance of "Tossed" with vocals:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Tossed+Instrumental+Tossed+Vocals/3qjivm?src=5

(vocals start just after 4:45)
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  15:09:17  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How close am I?

Hey, I must have been tossed down here.
Chained, stripped-naked and tossed down here.

Edited by - hammerhands on 02/27/2014 15:09:36
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  04:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Tossed begins at 1:46 and the vocals at 3:24. They're just here for the chorus.

Edited by - ruzom on 02/28/2014 04:20:51
Go to Top of Page

SeanWatts
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  10:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahah that's a great analogy two reelers, and that'd be great Ruzom, the Velvety vocals version is excellent, so catchy, I hope (pray) Frank will bless us with a studio recorded Tossed complete with vocals, it's probably my favourite song of his, anyone who hasn't heard it with vocals should listen to the link McDutchie posted ASAP
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  23:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hear parts of 'Blast Off' in 'Tossed' and vice versa. Only parts mind you, but I can definietely kind of hear it!
Go to Top of Page

SeanWatts
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  07:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Stevio the verses are incredibly similar, Blast off sounds almost like a mix between Tossed and Fu Manchu
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  11:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally also had a deep obsession with Tossed years ago so I can understand your search of any further information about it Sean!
In general, I love the instrumental aspect of Frank's career, from Surf Epic to The Adventure and the Resolution, not to mention the incredible parts that were created for Der Golem... Hmm, now I think I'm just going to make myself a selection/ compilation of those tracks...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000