A Pearl Jam Show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  15:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't find an existing Pearl Jam thread and I don't think there's particularly here any love for PJ but........Just saw them and remembered why they are so fuckin great. Hadn't seen the last tour and that was 4 yrs ago. THREE hours of total musical INTEGRITY yo yo

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  15:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 hours?
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  18:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interplay between the band's excellence and the crowd's energy is astonishing
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  19:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nirvana was better
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  06:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little BF, you saw Nirvana? Where and when, please........since this thread concerns PJ's LIVE shows.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  07:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't really my point whether I saw them or not, just that Nirvana was better in general, and Pearl Jam are only famous because of them. But I'm always willing to brag that I saw them Nov 7th, 1993 and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. pretty awesome setlist
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nirvana/1993/william-and-mary-hall-williamsburg-va-63d67e97.html
1. Radio Friendly Unit ShifterPlay Video
2. Drain YouPlay Video
3. BreedPlay Video
4. Serve the ServantsPlay Video
5. About a GirlPlay Video
6. Heart-Shaped BoxPlay Video
7. SliverPlay Video
8. DumbPlay Video
9. In BloomPlay Video
10. Come as You ArePlay Video
11. LithiumPlay Video
12. Pennyroyal TeaPlay Video
13. SchoolPlay Video
14. PollyPlay Video
15. Milk ItPlay Video
16. Rape MePlay Video
17. Territorial PissingsPlay Video
18. All ApologiesPlay Video
19. On a PlainPlay Video
20. Scentless ApprenticePlay Video
21. BlewPlay Video

I always liked when Eddie Vedder scribbled on his arm during their mtv unplugged show. heard that ukulele cd was pretty badass too.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  07:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drain You, that is my favorite Nirvana song. I could've walked out after that.
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  07:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was at Nirvana's last full show (not counting the one in Italy afterwards), needless to say Cobain was not in good mood, wouldn't try to connect to the audience at all... like when the people clapped to the beat of a song (i think it was the intro to Rape Me) he wouldn't follow but sang and strummed slower, almost seeming intentionally out of beat, detached. Novoselic, in much better mood, then orchestrated the audience to clap a bit slower but it didn't work. i wasn't pleased with the concert, neither were my friends, but i wasn't much aware of what was really going on in his mind at that time. so the news a few months later was a shock.

Edited by - tisasawath on 10/24/2013 07:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  08:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Pearl Jam in 2000 or so, when they were promoting "Binaural" and the Catholics with Lyle Workman opened for them. It was a pretty good show, even if the sound was a little muddy in such a big venue. I'm not so much a fan these days, but I still really like the Vitalogy/No Code era.

I don't agree that PJ wouldn't have been as big without Nirvana. Their early albums outsold Nirvana's and set the record for albums sold in one week in the Soundscan era. Nirvana is definitely better though...first Foo Fighters album is pretty great as well. I didn't see Nirvana live (too young), but I saw the Foos on their first tour back in 1996.

Edited by - Chris Knight on 10/24/2013 09:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  13:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Frank Black and the Catholics opened for Pj in 98, I don't think they did for the Binaural tour. Going to see them on Sunday. No opening band on this leg of the tour so instead of their usual two hour, twenty minute show, they've been going longer. Even with opening bands they sometimes would go to three hours and even over that.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  13:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting and kinda sad Tiasawath. I love Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, one of their best songs. There are some good jams they did that sometiems became Endless, Nameless out there. As far as concerts and what I enjoy in the live music experience, Pearl Jam tower above all others. I guess Bruce Springsteen and Dave Mathews Band both play even longer (?) but I never got into eitehr ones music.

Missed Nirvana. Glad I caught Pixies in 04.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  03:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops you're right, it was July of 1998. That makes sense because I started going to Catholics shows around the time Dog in the Sand came out.
Pearl Jam definitely give people their money's worth. I couldn't possibly watch any band for more than 2 hours, lol
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  08:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was one of the few people standing up for FB & the C's at the shows I was at. He played a lot from their debut which I hadn't heard (hadn't even come out yet?) and I was unfamiliar with most of it. I Need Peace, Six-sixty and the slow Wave were the stand out songs. The rest of it sounded too middle paced and dull in comparison to his first three solo albums.

Glad you got to see them Simi, sounds like you've gotten some great concerts this year.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was at these shows:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nirvana/1994/pne-forum-vancouver-bc-canada-3bd60084.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nirvana/1994/pne-forum-vancouver-bc-canada-33d60085.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/1998/pacific-coliseum-vancouver-bc-canada-5bd66710.html

slight edge to Nirvana. however PJ almost pulled off the upset with Baba O'Riley - all those shows were great.

FB&tC opened for PJ
Buttholes Surfers and Melvins for Nirvana I think - Bobcat Goldthwait was the MC, called them "THE Nirvana" both nights, good stuff.

"Do Re Me So Far So Good"
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  13:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shiney. I'm jealous of not seeing Bobcat open, I'm a big fan of his, but still pretty happy to say the Breeders opened my show. And Half Japanese, whoever they are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000