Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  09:39:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Against all odds, the first episode of the new revival season of Dexter was actually pretty good.

Lumberjack Dexter for the win. Have they established who the psycho killer he will be chasing down is yet? Does he still have a stash of medical equipment from his previous job as a spatterist? Have any of his previous kills washed up on the shores of Martha's Vineyard yet?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  11:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, my Halloween costume the year of the Dexter finale was Lumberjack Dexter, as an ironic act of criticism against the worst season (and finale) of a TV show I've ever seen in my life.

Well, it's kind of a fresh start, but a few lingering threads from the old seasons are there too. And honestly, the filmmaking is beautiful, and Michael C. Hall seems refreshed and just eating up the role. He has an absolutely incredible performance in the final scenes. The snowy small town is perfect for a murder show, and all of the annoying useless side characters are nowhere to be found (though to be honest, if they showed up I'd be kind of excited, for old time's sake.)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  14:34:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a great Halloween costume - and an easy one pull off. It's more or less the look I aim for these days myself every day so it does sound like cheating a bit - plus (as was pointed out recently by someone on the radio) Halloween isn't a fancy dress party - it's a Halloween party - so you you're supposed to dress up like a witch or a zombie. But since Dexter is technically a serial killer I suppose you can be excused.

The last two seasons did suck and the ending was a bit what the fuck was that. I remember them announcing they had a really great way to wrap the series up in S6 and then when we got to it then it was like - was that it? But maybe their plan all along was to bring Dexter back in this new form? If so then I think fair play to them. I'm sure it'll be a lot easier for Dexter to get away with murdering whoever he wants up there in the hillbilly hills of wherever it is.

So am I going to see you in the background somewhere chopping up logs in this series in the future then?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  18:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have loved to be an extra, but it looks like they did not film this anywhere near NYC. Maybe a future season if they decide to keep changing locations.

I can write a book about the problems of Dexter in the final few seasons. I used to regularly rant about it on AV Club (where the final season reviews are legendary.)

This was definitely not their plan all along, or at least I assume, as the cursed name of Scott Buck (showrunner during the worst seasons and huge moron) is nowhere to be found on the new season.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  20:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a great experience in life is when you don't like something the first time but then you love it the second time.

This is what's happening with me and Better Call Saul.

It is every bit as good as Breaking Bad. So good.

I'm also watching this British gameshow called Wipeout where people fall of rubber balls into mud and stuff like that.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  06:26:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
I'm also watching this British gameshow called Wipeout where people fall of rubber balls into mud and stuff like that.

Wipeout! Like SRSLY dude? There's SO MUCH to watch these days and you're watching that? Whatever floats your boat man..
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2021 :  04:38:45  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Calibre (2018)
Two guy's head up into the Highlands (of Scotland) for a stag weekend - to go deer stalking and end up upsetting the locals a little bit - not a bad wee thriller
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  06:48:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Bad Batch is nuts - quite dark and disturbing - trippy - surreal - Mad Max: The Charles Manson Years. Cool soundtrack. Not much else to way about it other than they don't say much in it. I'd be tempted to give it a 9/10 if it weren't for the short segment in the middle where Keanu Reeves is a massive twat. Nothing against the guy in real life he seems like a decent person - just has a habit of getting in the way in some films.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  08:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Started Midnight Mass. Stay tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2021 :  13:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not much. I like Firefly. I like Alien and UFO stuff, but not where like, everyone is an alien, if you know what I mean.

I enjoyed the JJ Abrams UFO documentary series. The subject is taken more seriously since the New York Times article in 2017 though it's still a minefield. Jeremy Corbell, James Fox, George Knapp and Ross Coulthard have great documentaries on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2021 :  04:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot say enough good stuff about Better Call Saul, every bit as brilliant as Breaking Bad. One more season to go.

Curb season 11 is good Larry

Finally watching the X-Men movies. You know, what can you say, good enough.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2021 :  04:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Wipeout! Like SRSLY dude? There's SO MUCH to watch these days and you're watching that? Whatever floats your boat man..

Please tell me you were once a contestant on this show
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2021 :  10:14:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Please tell me you were once a contestant on this show

I'm in one episode last series as an extra - look out for me hanging around in the background somewhere smoking a doobie and listening to The Beach Boys
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  21:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Midnight Mass was not perfect, but it was excellent. Highly recommend.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2021 :  21:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Reservation Dogs

Yeah it look’ed a little ugly

I don't know what that fucking means, but don't really care.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2021 :  17:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, you cared a little
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2021 :  17:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Midnight Mass was not perfect, but it was excellent. Highly recommend.

So great it’s Soy!
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2021 :  19:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

well, you cared a little

Usually care enough to respond to racist comments.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  12:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:

well, you cared a little

Usually care enough to respond to racist comments.

I'm not sure what this last exchange is about, but I just can't help myself from asking "darwin": What do you think of Darwin's racism?

Just a brief infraweb search:

https://evolutionnews.org/2021/07/the-casual-racism-of-charles-darwin/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/02/was_charles_darwin_a_racist.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/13/how-should-we-address-charles-darwin-complicated-legacy
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2021 :  16:40:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dune
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2021 :  12:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Dune

And? Don't keep us in suspense waiting for your review!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2021 :  13:52:13  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Dune

I didn't think much of it to be honest - looks really dated. Maybe the reboot will be better. I know that's not what you want to hear.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2021 :  16:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Dune

I didn't think much of it to be honest - looks really dated. Maybe the reboot will be better. I know that's not what you want to hear.

Are you talking about 1980s or 2020s?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2021 :  20:11:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The original version obvs, I doubt the remake would look dated just yet
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2021 :  18:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

The original version obvs, I doubt the remake would look dated just yet

Yes, special effects wise Dune is worse than movies that came before it, for some reason.

Yes, I still like the creepiness of Lynch's vision, especially when contrasted with the new one which is pretty straightforward.

But the new one is better
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2021 :  01:09:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, special effects wise Dune is worse than movies that came before it, for some reason.

Yes, I still like the creepiness of Lynch's vision, especially when contrasted with the new one which is pretty straightforward.

But the new one is better

I like old really dated looking sci-fi but this was horrific. Don't know much about the plot either apart from some ore called spice they mined on this planet to make you live for thousands of years or something - I suppose not knowing much about the plot is to be expected from Lynch though.

Speaking of reboots - I ended up watching the first ep of Ulysses 31 - a cartoon set in space that I absolutely loved as a kid - this would make a great series or film with real actors. I actually forgot how far out and trippy it was, which is probably why I liked it so much as a kid - it was like nothing I'd ever seen. Good animation too.

---

There's a whole bunch of seasons to be coming out over the next year that I/we've been waiting for and were delayed by "the pandemic" - starting with The Expanse Season 6!

Caught the first ep last night - good stuff as usual but they're wrapping it up and there's only 6 eps to the final season, even though there are more books taking the story forward? Some TV execs need a boot up the arse these days.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really a fan of SOTC but I did watch the first two episodes of And Just like That.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  08:29:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never Seen Sex On The City is it any good?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  11:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

The original SOTC series feels pretty dated these days, but that can be entertaining in its own way. If you're looking for a new series to spend some time on you could do worse.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  11:59:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

The original SOTC series feels pretty dated these days, but that can be entertaining in its own way. If you're looking for a new series to spend some time on you could do worse.

I was into the first series of SATC before most girls in this country - it was originally a one off and then became really popular. The first series was different because it featured short segments of random New Yorkers sharing their quirky thoughts of wisdom and it was quite original and slightly off beat - before it turned into a cult sensation for the nouveaux 21st Century It Girl.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2021 :  20:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Beatles - Get Back docuseries. Absolutely incredible.

Also finished up the debut season of Chucky (loved it), and still incredibly enjoying Dexter: New Blood.

Enjoying the new season of Always Sunny.

Still chugging through Boardwalk Empire. It's a slog, and depressing, but it's kind of prestige comfort food. You basically know what you're gonna get, and nothing hits too hard. It's kind of a shallow show, that is beautifully produced.

Someone posted a clip of the new SATC thing on twitter and I thought it was the worst minute of anything I've ever seen.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2021 :  07:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Beatles - Get Back docuseries. Absolutely incredible.

Also finished up the debut season of Chucky (loved it), and still incredibly enjoying Dexter: New Blood.

Enjoying the new season of Always Sunny.

Still chugging through Boardwalk Empire. It's a slog, and depressing, but it's kind of prestige comfort food. You basically know what you're gonna get, and nothing hits too hard. It's kind of a shallow show, that is beautifully produced.

Someone posted a clip of the new SATC thing on twitter and I thought it was the worst minute of anything I've ever seen.

Have you been watching this year's season of The Bachelorette?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2021 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't even know what that is.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2021 :  03:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you'd really enjoy it. There's dozens of seasons of both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, plus Bachelor in Paradise which takes place on the beach.

I've been watching the entirety of the X-men movies. Fun stuff. You know, when we were kids we could have only imagined seeing our favorite superheroes in such realistic looking movies. All we had was Spidey on the Electric Company, Lou Ferigono as Hulk, Adam West as Batman, and Linda Carter as WW.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2021 :  03:13:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I probably would have loved all these superhero films these days as a kid, but as an adult I find them extremely tedious.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000