New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  19:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..however trivial.

The rumours about Black being originally cast in David Fincher's Zodiac - was there any substance to that? Initially seemed like such an odd prospect but at the same time I can actually see him pulling off the role of an unnerving serial killer type person.

Post your trivial musings or questions here.

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  22:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Zodiac" thing is almost too weird to NOT be true, though I have no idea. It started a year or two before the movie came out. If it is true, my best peanut gallery guess is that he was never CAST. He was maybe just asked to audition (as he does fit the physical description of the character) and, for whatever reason, it didn't work out. Or maybe it didn't even get that far.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  04:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Fincher was at his 40th Birthday party... wasn't he supposed to be the killer in the taxi cab? And as somebody pointed out before, it features Downey Jr. playing Pong!
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  04:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Francis/+wiki
quote:
Black Francis is the stage name used by Pixies singer, Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV. Inspired by a quip by the late Warren Zevon after the group’s 1993 disbandment, Francis embarked upon a successful solo career under the inverted pseudonym, Frank Black; in addition to releasing a prolific number of stylistically departed records with Frank Black and the Catholics; until the 2004 reunion of the Pixies.

Despite the reunion proving a massive critical and financial success, Black remarked, “I privately went back to the old stage name, if that even makes any sense, almost as a joke. I couldn’t get The Pixies back into a studio, but I would transform into my alter ego of yesteryear.” He accordingly reverted to his original moniker for 2007’s Bluefinger - an homage to the Dutch painter/musician Herman Brood that marked a return to a more punk-driven sound.

Black has released three further recordings to date - the 2008 EP Svn Fngrs, an original score to the silent expressionist film The Golem released in 2010, and the recently released LP Nonstoperotik.

what quip? how did it inspire him to invert his stage name to frank black?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  04:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Francis/+wiki
quote:
Black Francis is the stage name used by Pixies singer, Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV. Inspired by a quip by the late Warren Zevon after the group’s 1993 disbandment, Francis embarked upon a successful solo career under the inverted pseudonym, Frank Black; in addition to releasing a prolific number of stylistically departed records with Frank Black and the Catholics; until the 2004 reunion of the Pixies.

Despite the reunion proving a massive critical and financial success, Black remarked, “I privately went back to the old stage name, if that even makes any sense, almost as a joke. I couldn’t get The Pixies back into a studio, but I would transform into my alter ego of yesteryear.” He accordingly reverted to his original moniker for 2007’s Bluefinger - an homage to the Dutch painter/musician Herman Brood that marked a return to a more punk-driven sound.

Black has released three further recordings to date - the 2008 EP Svn Fngrs, an original score to the silent expressionist film The Golem released in 2010, and the recently released LP Nonstoperotik.

what quip? how did it inspire him to invert his stage name to frank black?

it's educational

that's a good question. there was an interview around the time of his first solo album where he sort of let on that part of the inspiration was Frank Booth, in Blue Velvet

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  04:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

The "Zodiac" thing is almost too weird to NOT be true, though I have no idea. It started a year or two before the movie came out. If it is true, my best peanut gallery guess is that he was never CAST. He was maybe just asked to audition (as he does fit the physical description of the character) and, for whatever reason, it didn't work out. Or maybe it didn't even get that far.

i remember hearing this. i'm guessing when you say he was never cast you mean something else? obviously he was not cast.

my peanut gallery guess is that maybe there was some truth to the idea that Fincher considered it, but then maybe changed his mind (or the studio said no). on the one hand the Zodiac killer isn't in the film much, but there are still a few key scenes he's in. and even the non dialog scenes do require good acting. not to say that I don't think Frank could act, but, you know... who knows?

Edited by - floop on 01/30/2013 04:56:07
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  07:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say Frank would have pulled it off. I used the word "cast" in my original post, probably too strong a word yes, "considered for the part" would have been better.

As for the Zevon quip:

quote:

Black Francis / Frank Black Explains ....

What is in a name? I had a stage name suggested to me by my father about 20 years ago during a time when I was considering seeking my fortune in the rock and roll business. “Why don’t you call yourself BLACK FRANCIS” he said. “Sure”, I answered, never questioning why. A few years later when I left my group The Pixies I decided to symbolically go another direction and adopted the inverted FRANK BLACK. I felt validated when someone I know in the business told me that just before this time, while driving Warren Zevon to his performance, had explained that he would be driving someone called BLACK FRANCIS on the following night, and that Warren had quipped “that guy ought to change his name to FRANK BLACK”.

I never thought I’d go back to the old stage name, although I secretly missed it. I never thought I’d go back to the old band, although I discovered during a reunion tour years later that I missed them, too. But these things are bittersweet, and all of the rekindled foreplay of performing the old BLACK FRANCIS songs never warmed to the full coitus of a reunion LP. Even the sessions we did manage for two new recordings (a song by Kim Deal and another by Warren Zevon) were fun, but the quick f**k was awkward.

I privately went back to the old stage name, if that even makes any sense, almost as a joke. I couldn’t get The Pixies back into a studio, but I would transform into my alter ego of yesteryear. I spoke the magic syllables aloud and nothing happened; just as I thought. Soon after my new manager asked me for a bonus track for a “best of” compilation to be released later in the year. And as I prepared for the session I became (honestly) gripped by the spirit of Herman Brood, and my bonus track expanded into an 11 song record called BLUEFINGER in just a few days. Thank you Herman. You were at the distant edge of my vision for years when suddenly I was under your influence like a cloud of opium, like the scent of the house of the rising sun. Bliss. Bliss. Bliss. I had spoken the magical name and nothing had happened, but I was impatient, and like so many people, I thought the magic would reveal itself in an instant, as depicted in films. Magic is more subtle. And Herman Brood did turn me back into BLACK FRANCIS. Funny how things work out. You just never know.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono claimed the Amsterdam Hilton in 1969. The Pixies headlined their first big rock show in Holland in 1988. Herman Brood reclaimed the Hilton for his country in 2001, and now I feel he has even claimed back The Pixies, or at least me, BLACK FRANCIS.

Warren Zevon and Herman Brood were both blessed piano players. And you know, I am crazy for Leon Russell. “Who are my influences” I’ve been asked about a thousand times, and I just never really know what to say. Piano rolls are cool, sheesh, they shaped the 3 minute pop song; but even as they threatened the station of the human piano player, the piano player stayed at his bench, and would not be outdone (or will ever be outdone) by the fantastic machines. I don’t know who my influences are, but I love the piano players who stayed true.

Black Francis
May 2007
unincorporated suburb, Oregon

http://www.berubecommunications.com/images/frankblack_imgs/fbarc01.html

There's a wealth of great stuff on that website if anyone hasn't seen it.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  08:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe he gave an interview around the time of the Zodiac rumor where he was asked about it. He said that Fincher came to him and asked, but he's not an actor and he had no interest in being in movies.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  13:40:11  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and yet...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332220/
not a legit performance, but he and JMW were zombies or something

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  14:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The user review says Frank submitted an 'original tune' for the film, what was it?
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  17:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My name is Gary" is the song.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  05:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to the 93-03 live tracks on Spotify - who was in the band at the time? My CD only contains the first nine tracks, so it's pleasing to hear him play the likes of I'm Not Dead (I'm In Pittsburgh) and Suffering.

Don't think I've heard any other live versions of Suffering. Big fan of the studio recording.

Edited by - The Maharal on 02/16/2013 05:06:06
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  05:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Listening to the 93-03 live tracks on Spotify - who was in the band at the time? My CD only contains the first nine tracks, so it's pleasing to hear him play the likes of I'm Not Dead (I'm In Pittsburgh) and Suffering.

Don't think I've heard any other live versions of Suffering. Big fan of the studio recording.

EDF on bass, Duane Jarvis on lead guitar and Billy Block on drums. those are some wonderful renditions. i saw them in Chicago on my birthday (nov 1st) during that tour.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  19:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

EDF on bass, Duane Jarvis on lead guitar and Billy Block on drums. those are some wonderful renditions. i saw them in Chicago on my birthday (nov 1st) during that tour.

that was a great show

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  03:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes. yes it was. you were there?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  04:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  05:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd only heard nine or so of the tracks from my version of 93-03. The FM/RM and Honeycomb tracks sound great. Amazing he didn't play more of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000