New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  05:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just posted to Facebook:

Remember Honeycomb? Black's own label (The Bureau Records) will be reissuing this release in the near future (with updated artwork & perhaps a bonus track or two). In the meanwhile, check out this blog: http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2012/06/20/terrible-noise-frank-black-s-honeycomb

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  05:28:15  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even better news:
"We're also to reissue Frank Black's "Honeycomb" and the lesser-known "Oddballs" in the near future - both stellar albums. Stay tuned on this.

And of course, the FB&theC's complete box set collection is closer than ever to being completed, more updates forthcoming."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  07:05:55  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keep those vinyls coming! humbly requesting bluefinger and svn fngrs!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  14:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like good news, all these releases and re-releases. Trouble is I can hardly keep up with them all these days, there's so much going on. I wouldn't mind a copy of Oddballs. I don't care if it's an original or reissue, it would just be a nice item to own for someone who hasn't been able to get one in the past.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  02:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oohhhhhhh i want a vinyl HC and Oddballs. so much. so so much.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  02:23:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have Oddballs on CD but I'd definitely buy it on vinyl. Mmmh Man Of Steel...

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  03:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few options for Honeycomb bonus tracks:
Atlantis [Japan CD editon]
All Around The World
Highway To Lowdown [alt version]

was there anything else?

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  04:10:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were alt versions of Fare Thee Well, Kiss My Ring and Where The Wind Is Blowing. Same versions but different mix if I remember well. Also, the elusive duet with Shemekia Copeland that was or wasn't recorded.

--

Oddballs should have all the missing b-sides - Surf Epic, Ballad of Johnny Horton, Amnesia, Headache NYC Version, Men In Black, This Is Where I Belong, Better Things, and the Hello Recording Club ep! Make that a double LP!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  00:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet lord baby Jesus, a vinyl copy of Oddballs and The Golem for me. Just saw this and tried to log in. Webstore is down for maintenance.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  13:59:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Sweet lord baby Jesus, a vinyl copy of Oddballs and The Golem for me. Just saw this and tried to log in. Webstore is down for maintenance.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god I would kill for a vinyl copy of Honeycomb. .... I'm sure onyone would have a decidedly different reaction! :P

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  16:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forget; was it recorded analiggoty?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  17:10:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

I forget; was it recorded analiggoty?

I don't know because I can't find my CD of HC at the moment (if I don't have something on vinyl, I usually just listen on digital file), but I would be shocked if it's not. As far as I know, Charles is highly dedicated to the analog format (Catholics, straight to 2 track tape), and for him to go down to Nashville and do that sort of project with that sort of backing band and not do it the right way would be mind-boggling.

If you have a CD of HC handy, look for an "AAD" symbol on it somewhere. Might not be there though, I don't know if labels waste the ink on that sort of designation anymore. It matters to me though.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/04/2012 17:35:07
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  17:19:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

I picked up The Golem on vinyl as soon as I had a couple bux. It's amazing. Totally worth it.

I'm somewhat of an FB nut, as I'm sure anyone actively posting on this forum these quiet days is, so I have The Golem on the original 5 disc signed edition (actually I have 2 of these since The Bureau accidentally sent me another copy instead of the poster that I ordered [side-side note, yes I notified them of their mistake, paid for it, kept it, and kept it sealed, so one day if FB makes a worthy comeback keep your eyes peeled on ebay for a sealed version]), the rock edit digital version and the CD. The LP sounds way more engaging to my ear. Of course, I tend to think anything analog recorded and mastered correctly sounds better on vinyl.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/04/2012 17:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were some great songs on 'Honeycomb' and 'Fastman Raiderman', but I didn't think the recordings had the punch that the Catholics records had.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  14:24:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

There were some great songs on 'Honeycomb' and 'Fastman Raiderman', but I didn't think the recordings had the punch that the Catholics records had.

Yeah they didn't have the punch, as it were, but I think that's kind of what he was going for - more of a mellow sound.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  18:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the production on Honeycomb. I know that a lot people here don't like him, but I think Jon Tiven did a great job on that record. It's elegant, but never too slick. If you wanted to, you could tune everything out and just listen to the drums or the bass or a certain guitar, and have little trouble doing so--it's that vivid. I'm with johnnyribcage. I think Frank wanted to make an ultra-mellow album and that's what he did.

I'm looking forward to the details on the reissue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000