Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Thoughts on IF the Pixies record a new album...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  02:58:09  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of hush hush around the attempt to record a new Pixies album. Even Frank is trying to keep a lid on it in his recent posts here. My guess is that it is has either been shelved, or it is still being worked on and will see the light of day in 2014 when schedules align (The Breeders Last Splash tour ends). The mythical lost sixth Pixies album is the new Smile or Chinese Democracy.
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  11:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think Bluefinger was supposed to be the 6th album, and maybe Kim nixed it. I've presented some pretty compelling evidence in another topic. It totally sounds like The Pixies, unlike most of Frank's solo body of work, although the lyrics are a lot more frankblackish than pixieish.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  11:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think so bro

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  11:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to go back and listen to Bluefinger. Didn't sound anything like The Pixies to me.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I've read, Bluefinger borrowed heaviy from the so called "fakey" sounding Pixies songs BFB presented to the band in 2005. Chord progressions, vocal melodies, etc were re-used, hence the Pixies sound. It would have made a great Pixies album, Kim must have been high.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  02:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the old King Holds Court thread he said that a few chord progressions were re-used. Elsewhere (might have been a radio interview) he said the return to a punkier sound was inspired by Pixies' reluctance to do new material and his desire to show them he could still rock.

I think Threshold Apprehension was the biggest Pixies-esque song on the record but didn't that originate as a bonus track for the best-of record? Other than Captain Pasty and Tight Black Rubber there's not many other songs that scream Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  06:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about any specific songs on Bluefinger ('Threshold Apprehension' came out of needing a new song for the Best of, apparently)

Think there's an interview/gig where he mentioned 'Dead Man's Curve' as one of the demos though.

'Skip This Part' was a very low-fi demo on the old Black Francis site around the same time.

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/01/2013 06:15:37
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  07:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Skip This Part another name/version of Make It Stop? I remember hearing that on a podcast and loving it. Yeah there was a Pixies demo folder that got leaked or uploaded and I think Dead Man's Curve was on it along with The Water and Gyaneshwar.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  08:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember reading that about Bluefinger songs. Seems like a "quote or it didn't happen" kind of scenario

Bluefinger is such a specific, distinct concept album. I can't imagine Frank pitching that to fellow Pixies: "hey guys, how about we make every song on our return album be entirely about this Dutch guy?"

as for if he used prior chord progressions to make that album, that wouldn't be anything new. he's mentioned that a bunch of times, how he's written progressions or melodies that don't find their way into songs till way layer (he said he wrote the You Ain't Me riff when he was 15)

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floop - Yep, agree with you there. Wasn't Bluefinger recorded pretty quickly anyway?

The Maharal - Yes it was. I remember the folder - it was some kind of music sharing service (browsing collections) that someone noticed on here.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  07:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This seems to have gone unnoticed some how, but manager Scott Rodger (Paul McCartney, Arcade Fire, etc) posted this little gem on his Instagram account about a month ago.

http://web.stagram.com/p/386619237678557104_41932664

Now, he could very easily be mistaken or maybe he is just calling the new Frank record the Pixies, but this guy isn't a joke. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I'm surprised he let it out of that bag like that, though (unless it was some kind of tactic on his part).

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  12:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely this, considering all the other evidence, settles it. I hope they don't wait too long to release it!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  13:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, seems definite now.

BF retweeted this earlier, so maybe we'll hear it at some point this year: @MrBlackFrancis new Cave, Bowie & Fannies in 2013 need Pixies to complete the set.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  18:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Listening to the new Pixies album with the perfect backdrop. Amazing!

Got to agree, that's a lovely view!

Edited by - Carl on 03/15/2013 18:25:14
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man.... is this really happening?

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I've always had major misgivings about the idea of a new Pixies album. Tonight I was watching the Boston video from 2006 and it started to occur to me - these guys are great together, and they still have chemistry. Or at least they did 6 years ago (where the fuck does the time go?).

Anyway, for the most part I trust Charles' muse and after thinking about it a little, I think he would certainly apply some bullshit filters when it comes to the Pixies and new music. He already did before (the *almost* reunion album that may or may not have led to Bluefinger). Plus, as we all know, Kim, Joey, and Dave basically provide that signature sound associated with the Pixies.

I'm talking myself into this. I think it could work. I have to - it's starting to look like a reality.... maybe?

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/15/2013 20:27:14
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  01:52:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **

Edited by - pot on 03/16/2013 02:13:44
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  07:39:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **

That's what I thought too. Seems to be quite a bit of smoke though (relatively).

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  07:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's no way this will suck. i'm convinced it's happening and i know it will be at least as good as CoR.

can't wait!

and the best part of all this? One new pixies album could easily mean MORE new pixies albums. let's do it.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Edited by - Jose Jones on 03/16/2013 07:50:46
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  02:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They've had nine years to get it right. It'll be fine.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  03:46:36  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

BF retweeted this earlier, so maybe we'll hear it at some point this year: @MrBlackFrancis new Cave, Bowie & Fannies in 2013 need Pixies to complete the set.

Fannies?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  03:47:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So basically then either the lead singer of the actual band is winding us up, or this record producer is. The question is, if there is a planned surprise release, which presumably if the guy who produced it is already listening to it would be imminent, why all the secrecy? I don't really care either way and kind of fed up with these perpetual rumours. I reckon it's another hoax. Just because one guy says one thing one time on the internet doesn't mean anything. It could just be his way of highlighting the fact there has been no Pixies album since they reformed, and that there probably should be, or something. Who the fuck knows.

Edited by - pot on 03/17/2013 03:48:19
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  03:55:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only thing I know is, Scott Rodger is a fucking cool name. Nearly as cool as Bob Santiago.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  07:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rodgering

define nearly
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1077 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  12:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Fannies?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Teenage Fanclub - or the fannies as theyre affectionately known as locally! (or so I presume)
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  18:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From Violet's Facebook page:

"Things are getting poignant/weird on the hubby's pages...gonna get weirder tomorrow...stay tuned"

Edit: looks like she's removed it already and I didn't think to screen cap it. You'll have to take my word for it.

-Mickey

Edited by - Mickey on 03/17/2013 18:38:52
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  19:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey

"Things are getting poignant/weird on the hubby's pages...gonna get weirder tomorrow...stay tuned"

Edit: looks like she's removed it already and I didn't think to screen cap it. You'll have to take my word for it.

-Mickey

One of the posts she's referring to:

"1988. Blossoming and disintegrating at the same time.
Photo by Phil Nicholls pic.twitter.com/R7AarKO3ww "

Great photo and remark. Also find it nice / weird (but mostly nice) that BF liked someone's comment of "<3 Kim".
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  04:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey

-Mickey

One of the posts she's referring to:

"1988. Blossoming and disintegrating at the same time.
Photo by Phil Nicholls pic.twitter.com/R7AarKO3ww "

Great photo and remark. Also find it nice / weird (but mostly nice) that BF liked someone's comment of "<3 Kim".

Kim looks really nice in this pic..........for 2-3 years she was quite the hottie.

BTW, what does it say on Charles' Manson t-shirt?

Edited by - Fissile on 03/18/2013 04:15:14
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  04:53:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like Creative FX to me

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  05:31:52  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Negative FX

"playing only a total of five shows (six flyers exist)"

Edited by - hammerhands on 03/18/2013 05:45:11
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  07:03:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or that, yes.

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  07:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta wonder if he was really listening to that, or if it was meant as a joke.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Watching. Waiting.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  16:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

Watching. Waiting.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank

if you build it, they will come.

i am thoroughly disappointed there was not a gigantic announcement today. i'm convinced this is happening.

PUNS INTENDED, ASSHOLES.

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  16:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

Kim looks really nice in this pic..........for 2-3 years she was quite the hottie.

BTW, what does it say on Charles' Manson t-shirt?

yeah, i've always been drawn to kim's voice more than to her looks, but this is a gorgeous picture for sure.

also, ready to eat some of those words of yours, fiss?

also, should i not give fissile an endearing nickname so as to not encourage him?

also, is "Announcement," if not about, inspired by the john the baptist story/imagery?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000