Pixies set to record new material
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:59:56  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/02/pixies-to-record-new-material

When their tour is finished, the Pixies want to make a new album. "We gotta plan to make something new," drummer David Lovering explained in a recent interview. Two decades after the release of their album Trompe Le Monde, the rock legends have fans who weren't even born the last time they released a record. "We're gonna wear out our welcome soon enough," Lovering said. Besides, even Bono is hassling them.

The Pixies split in 1993 and reunited in 2004, and the past seven years have been marked by constant gigging. "We were happy to just tour, and it's been non-stop because people want to see us," Lovering told Spinner. Although the band have been talking about a new album "for years", Lovering admitted, "nothing's come to fruition" – allegedly due to the reluctance of bassist Kim Deal.

But things seem to be changing. When this tour is finished, suggested guitarist Joey Santiago, "it'll be time". "Making a record will be in the forefront ... We've definitely gelled as a unit and hopefully when we can all bury the hatchet – and we have – maybe we'll go in there and hope for the best."

The Pixies still have "friction", Santiago acknowledged, though he and Lovering aren't really the problem. "If there were two people to pick ... it would probably be the other two [laughs]." But the musicians claim that even Kim Deal and Frank Black can probably be convinced. "Who knows once we get in there?" Santiago said. "I think that makes good music. [The Kinks'] Ray Davies, you know, beating up his little brother, [laughs] that friction, we've always kind of used it. Like, 'Oh yeah? Screw you, we're gonna play'. That little angst, it's good."

Besides, it isn't just 18-year-old fans clamouring for a sixth LP: the frontman of U2 has been tugging at the Pixies' sleeves. "Bono even asked," Santiago said. "Remember that? He's like, 'Please make a record!' Goddamn, we can't leave that unturned. That would frustrate me. It would. I think we should do it. But it's up to everybody."

----------------------------------------

http://snailhead.bandcamp.com/

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:13:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heads: Kim / Tails: Frank

Track 1.....Go!

Heads!

Track 2...
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:59:54  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did the Guardian hatchet that spinner interview?

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20365

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  03:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid not. They have more dates in American cities they haven't played before this fall (still on the Doolittle tour). The story hasn't changed since 2004 in terms of certain member(s) being against the idea, but all that said, I believe that there is something in the works. I wouldn't expect to see it for a couple years though.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  04:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A score? DVD? Regardless, that Guardian article is bullshit - and I know it is the Guardian. Hate when articles insinuate that something is definite ('Pixies-to-record-new-album') but then goes on to contradict itself in the first sentence.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  12:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork pick up on the spinner interview too...
http://pitchfork.com/news/42389-pixies-might-make-another-album-one-day/
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  14:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Santiago also dismissed the possibility of a Doolittle-like tour to play Bossanova in full ("that's not going to happen. We're gonna wear out our welcome soon enough"), which means that it's probably going to be a bit before you see a reunited Pixies perform "Velouria" again. Heal thy wounds by watching the video for the song below.

Er, that's a regular encore selection...

quote:

Tuesday April 26 - Winnipeg gig
Link

Second Encore:
Winterlong
Velouria
Caribou
Where is My Mind?
Gigantic

Did they just really want to post the Velouria video or something? Might need to stop reading these articles in order to avoid getting irrationally annoyed at these little things.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  05:59:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they will make a new album eventually. I mean people never thought they would ever reform not so many years ago.

I reckon the problem is mostly just that they didn't gel as well as they did in their hey day when they reformed. The didn't play as tightly when I saw them in 2004 as 2009 I think.

Now that they have been played together for a good while, and probably getting reaallly bored playing Doolittle over and over again they are probably screaming out for some new material themselves, the frustration from playing the same thing a little too much is probably beginning to transmute into creative energies, like a mantra.

Who knows it might turn out to be the first of many great new albums from them?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000