Is Nonstoperotik all drum machine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trampolined
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  06:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Songs like "Oh My Tidy Sum" are obviously drum machine but I think the whole album may be drum machine. I'm listening to Wheels right now and there is no variation in the snare/hh/toms throughout the whole song. The album sounds kind of flat to me and I think it may be the lack of dynamics in the drumming. Thoughts?

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  07:27:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. No. Lots of real drums.

Edit: Listen to the first 30 seconds of the album.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/14/2010 07:49:59
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  09:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's definately drums. I don't hear the album sounding flat, to me its really full sounding and alive - but i guess i don't really know, focus or care too much about those kinds of things.

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was wondering the same thing about the album- obviously lake of sin is real drums, but oh my tidy sum sounds like something that was put together with albeton or something... i get the feeling most of this album was done with a laptop or something .
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drums are good across the album (and yes, 'Tidy Sum' is a loop)... but as I've banged on about before, it's the worst sounding FB album around. A real shame. Some excellent songs on the record though.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:37:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Drums are good across the album (and yes, 'Tidy Sum' is a loop)... but as I've banged on about before, it's the worst sounding FB album around. A real shame. Some excellent songs on the record though.

you're saying the production on FMRM is better? Black Letter Days has some atrocious mixing on some of the tracks, which is to be expected considering it was live to 2-track, and I'm not talking down on it. But I have to disagree the production on NSE is far superior to any catholics album except for maybe DITS, where the live-to-2-track-planets aligned or something.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  12:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

you're saying the production on FMRM is better? Black Letter Days has some atrocious mixing on some of the tracks, which is to be expected considering it was live to 2-track, and I'm not talking down on it. But I have to disagree the production on NSE is far superior to any catholics album except for maybe DITS, where the live-to-2-track-planets aligned or something.

Yes. Production and mixing are two separate issues, as far as I'm concerned. The arrangements of 'NonStopErotik' are great, and up there with the best of the post-Pixies catalogue. However, it's spoilt for me, by the muddy mix. The Catholics albums, surprisingly, never seem to have this problem. Separation between the instruments always seems to work.

Also, the fragmentation make it quite hard of the ear at times. Certainly, 'Corrina' and 'Six Legged Man' sound like they were recorded in the same setup. The title track sounds far more pristine than many of the others.

Actually, I think 'FMRM' suffers from much the same problems. Uneven sound, presumably since at least two (three?) different sessions comprised the albums.
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  13:43:39  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agree with Ziggy, there's plenty of intrumentation which is great, as are the songs, but some of it sounds like it was recorded underwater. Not as bad as some of BLD and DW though I don't think. Particularly "Heloise", that has to be muddiest-sounding track in the FB catalog I reckon.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  15:14:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Yes. Production and mixing are two separate issues, as far as I'm concerned. The arrangements of 'NonStopErotik' are great, and up there with the best of the post-Pixies catalogue. However, it's spoilt for me, by the muddy mix. The Catholics albums, surprisingly, never seem to have this problem. Separation between the instruments always seems to work.

Right.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  15:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that right - BLD and DW are the only time i've noticed a poor mix on frank black albums. Honestly, I think NSE sounds great, i really dont hear any problems with the mixing.

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  21:37:53  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ziggy not liking it makes me like it even more.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  23:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

ziggy not liking it makes me like it even more.

:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000