New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a visit from a couple friends from Texas. Watched the Golem with them. Gets better every time.

When it was over, they told me they knew somebody in Houston who was working on a stage version of Bluefinger.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:38:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beckett trance

Just had a visit from a couple friends from Texas. Watched the Golem with them. Gets better every time.

When it was over, they told me they knew somebody in Houston who was working on a stage version of Bluefinger.

...does Charles know about it?

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Catastrophic Theatre Teams With Pixies Legend Black Francis to Create New Rock Opera
Bluefinger premieres 2010

The Catastrophic Theatre is proud to announce its biggest project yet: A new musical play to be created in collaboration between Charles Thompson (a.k.a. Black Francis; a.k.a. Frank Black), Jason Nodler and the Catastrophic ensemble. Thompson is best known as the primary force behind the legendary and influential alternative rock group Pixies.

Bluefinger, based on the critically acclaimed 2007 Black Francis album of the same name, takes as its subject the life and death of Herman Brood, a Dutch musician and painter who committed suicide in 2001 following a remarkable and tempestuous career. The play will feature songs from Thompson’s Bluefinger record, new compositions by Thompson and songs by Brood himself.

Nodler recently completed a fellowship at The MacDowell Colony in New Hampshire where he began early development on the project. The play will premiere in Houston in 2010."

This is really interesting - especially the new songs part! I wonder if Black Franis would be like the house band for the opera, if they'd use a recording, or get somebody else to play the songs?
Thanks for sharing Beckett Trance, this sounds really cool, especially since Black Francis is involved.

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 04/11/2010 20:06:20
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  03:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't they do a previous Frank Black play in Texas?
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  03:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as i can remember Josh Frank whote co-wrote "Fool the World" was going to do a play called "Teenager of the Year". I read somehwere that he collated so much information he decided to write the book instead.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  03:28:45  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/03/pixies_brood_houston.php

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  17:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Houston article was dated March 2009. I have never heard of this before. Must be still gestating, or aborting.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  18:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article says its expected to come out this fall, though that could change obviously.

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2022 :  17:18:11  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.spacecityrock.com/2010/11/09/pixies-singer-black-francis-and-catastrophic-theatre-bring-the-world-premier-of-bluefinger-the-fall-and-rise-of-herman-brood-to-houston/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2022 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page