New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the complexity, or odd chord structures, of alot of Frank Black songs, some songs just don't click on the first song, but eventually end up kicking your ass whether on the 2nd or 30th listen.
If a song has recently clicked for you which took you a few listens to get into, post which song and what happenned to change your mind about it here.

I've just gotten into End of Miles in a big way. I never disliked it, i always thought it was good, but I never realized until a few days ago, while listening to Black Letter Days, that it is in fact amazing. I was starting my long and lonesome trip home from a bar, feeling trapped and wanting to explore the world, and the song fit like a glove. The best part for me is the very end of the chorus, especially when the organ kicks in - you know, the "But still, i have survived, and i know i have arrived, at the end of miles" part.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cinema Star
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking of that one too, I had to listen to it a few times to "get" it, but now i think its quite good.
EDIT: Really good

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/02/2010 11:11:21
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get Massif Central(e) right away, not even after dozens of listens. Then somebody suggested to me, when Bluefinger was new, that Threshold Apprehension sounds like "Massif Central on nukes," and somehow both songs clicked for me. Maybe it was the great driving bass lines in both songs. And over time, I've fallen in love with FB's vision of retiring to France.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I dont wanna hurt you (Every single time)"

tender

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  14:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Cult of Ray"

wow , hit me like a nuke!

amazing riff. lyrics are majestic and srtange.

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  08:02:51  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
his songs are always clicking for me. i recently just started to love don't get me wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  05:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got into Strange Goodbye yesterday listening to Honeycomb. I think before it was too country for me, but since I have come along way towards appreciating country (good country that is).
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  06:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodbye Lorraine. Very nice song to hear acoustically too.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  06:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I got into Strange Goodbye yesterday listening to Honeycomb. I think before it was too country for me, but since I have come along way towards appreciating country (good country that is).

That's a cool song. I love that his ex-wife joined him on it. In the scheme of the album, there's a strange tension in doing a song with your ex-wife just a few songs before a serenade to your new wife. Damn, I love that album.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i should really give honeycomb some spins soon. i've neglected it for so long.

as i skipped the last 40 seconds or so of Ole Mulholland today, i realized that song could use some more "clicking." hasn't happened yet.

the reprise of the Maharal hit me hard the other night. just a beautiful take on an already fantastic song.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Edited by - Jose Jones on 03/06/2010 07:29:31
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  06:39:36  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ole mulholland was the first frank black song i ever got into.

my band: www.myspace.com/mollybang

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  16:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
been honeycombin' it up lately. click click click.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:21:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a good few years since my days were filled with this much Frank Black.

Thanks you, for the recent uploads in various threads. Though I have most of the songs on disc, they're stuck at the very bottom of a pile of cd cases, stuck inside a hollow fireplace. They ain't coming out, but it looks pretty cool. hm.

This machine I type on was Frankless up until a week ago. I've now heard 'True Blue' and 'Baby, That's Art' and...

They're all clicking at the moment.

[ed: Tell a lie. 'Meet Me At The Ghetto Gates' just came on. This one could take a while)

Edited by - fbc on 03/11/2010 07:23:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000