New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dukeofcalistan
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  15:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that a lot of the songs on Oddballs, One More Road for the Hit, and Snake Oil are remixed. Some, like Humboldt County Massacre from OMRFTH, are completely different than the original b-side versions. If any of you guys have the original versions, could you confirm that they are the same or different mixes or disprove me? I have a few, but I still don't know much (even less if the Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day mixes aren't the same on the singles).

Here's what I know:

Oddballs
01. Pray a Little Faster (?)
02. Oddball (Remix of Headache V1 b-side, I think)
03. Village of the Sun (?)
04. Baby, That's Art (?)
05. At the End of the World (Remix of Headache V1 b-side, I think)
06. Can I Get a Witness (?)
07. Announcement (?)
08. Hate Me (Same as the Headache V2 b-side)
09. Remake/Remodel (?)
10. Everybody Got the Beat (?)
11. Jumping Beans (Unreleased, I believe)
12. Just a Little (?)
13. You Never Heard About Me (?)
14. Man of Steel (?)

One More Road for the Hit
01. Show Me Your Tears (?)
02. Humboldt County Massacre (Complete reworking of All My Ghosts b-side)
03. Don't Clip Your Wings (?)
04. Preacher's Daughter (?)
05. Pan American Highway (Same as SSMVGD (Robert Onion?) version)
06. Constant Sorrow Man (Same as St. Francis Dam Disaster b-side/SSMVGD version)
07. Pray for the Girls (Same mix as in Heroes and Villains, but missing Powerpuff Girls dialogue at the end)
08. Valley of Our Hope (?)
09. A Dab'll Do Ya (?)
10. Ludwigshafen (Same mix as Nadine b-side, but includes German count-in, I think)
11. Living on Soul (?)
12. Angst (Same mix as SSMVGD (Robert Onion?), but missing count-in)
13. Le Cigare Volant (Completely different from SSMVGD version)

Snake Oil
01. Take What You Want (?)
02. Belle Isle (Unreleased)
03. Some Things I Can't Get Used To (Unreleased)
04. The Big Hurt (?)
05. Do Nothing (?)
06. Going Down (?)
07. Down in the Hole (?)
08. Snake Oil (?)
09. Changing of the Guards (Same mix as All My Ghosts b-side, but missing pick scrape at the beginning)
10. Sleep (Same as SSMVGD (St. Francis Dam Disaster?) version)

For that matter, if anyone could share any info about the versions on the LEGIT version of SSMVGD, that wouldd be great.

Edited by - dukeofcalistan on 12/18/2009 13:55:12

tedbra
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Announcement on Oddballs does not compare to the one on the Men In Black single....which I lost somehow.......damn it
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  00:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked out the "Unofficial ... Liner Notes" threads? They're stickied in this forum.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

dukeofcalistan
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

Have you checked out the "Unofficial ... Liner Notes" threads? They're stickied in this forum.

it's educational

Yes, I have checked. Actually, that's where I sort of got the idea for this thread. A couple people pointed out that "Pray for the Girls" and "Changing of the Guards" were missing small sections on the compilations. By luck, I came across the original "Humboldt County Massacre" from the All My Ghosts single and found that it was a rough mix that sounds like one track, with Frank playing guitar and singing. Frank also introduces the track's title in an overdub. The ARFTH version is missing the introductory overdub, the acoustic guitar cannot be heard, two guitars, bass and drums are added; a ten-second intro is added (which is also heard on SSMVGD version), and the vocals have been cleaned up. No one had mentioned the two versions were so radically different.

If you want to have a listen, here it is.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QMNHK9G0
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  02:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
- The release is officially entitled "One More Road For the Hit," which might seem like a minor distinction but when you are shortening it to an acronym that might confuse people.

- Man of Steel on Oddballs is definitely a different mix than what is heard on the X-Files compilation. The X-Files one has a more polished sounding finish, and much reverb (there-is-a-is-a-place...) on the vocal as I recall. Will dig that out sometime soon and figure out if anything else is different.

- The version of Humboldt County Massacre you uploaded is not the one from the All My Ghosts single. I've heard it before but don't know where it came from, maybe a radio session or something? Perhaps he just banged it out in his kitchen so the band would know the song before recording? The single features the sweet full-band fast version, unless there are versions of the single I don't know about.

Without going through and listening to them all, those are the only ones I know for sure are different.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

dukeofcalistan
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  13:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow, I didn't even realize that it was "One More", not "Another". Not sure how I started typing it like that... probably going too fast.
It's changed now.

Thanks for correcting me on "Humboldt County Massacre". When I take another listen, the vocals do sound just slightly different and I couldn't hear the inhales. The vocals and tempo being undistinguishable and was the main thing I was going off of. Also, I checked on Wikipedia and Discogs and the tracks lengths listed are 1:45, not 1:30.

Edited by - dukeofcalistan on 12/18/2009 14:01:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000